F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Review. Another 335d Xdrive fitted with AC Schnitzer springs
GetBMWParts

07-25-2014, 05:07 AM   #23
dannywooly77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks3 View Post
Gap to lowest part of m performance front splitter is 11 cm underneath and approx 13 cm to front lip.
Cheers Dude

335d xDrive M Sport Black Saphire, Pro Nav, MSport+, Adaptive Suspension, Performance Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #24
jezm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Yes indeed the ACS springs will still be better, as they are 15mm lower than the sdrive m sport suspension, so will be at least that much lower than the new xdrives.
Guys don't want to be the bearer of bad news but had my acs springs fitted last Friday and measured ground to wheel arch before and after 705mm front before fitting and 692 mm rear after fitting 697mm front and 667mm rear
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #25
deeno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Xdrive M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezm3 View Post
Guys don't want to be the bearer of bad news but had my acs springs fitted last Friday and measured ground to wheel arch before and after 705mm front before fitting and 692 mm rear after fitting 697mm front and 667mm rear
This would suggest that the rear drop is indeed a fair bit more than the front and its not just our imagination. I was under the impression that the drop would be equal all round?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #26
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

All points towards there being a technical reason why the front is not dropped the same amount on an xDrive. At a guess, BMW had to increase ride height to get to the Lobro joint 'sweet spot'. Who cares as long as it rides OK?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #27
deeno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Xdrive M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Who cares as long as it rides OK?
Would bother me a little if it was ass down, would prefer the front\rear balance to remain close to stock but lower. Perhaps tweaking the springs to raise the rear by 10mm or so might give a nicer look, although I wouldn't sacrifice handling improvements for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #28
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Thanks for the info OP!

what was the over cost? if i went into a local BMW dealers, would they be able to supple and fit these?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #29
jezm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks3 View Post
Had these fitted yesterday and have to say that I am very impressed. To those that worry about it riding like the old E90 and being very hard, don't worry. Drove it 170 miles today over back roads and motorways and it is perfect. I echo the thoughts of everyone else in that this is how the car should have been from BMW. A perfect compromise between sporty and comfortable. Yes there is a slightly larger gap between the front wheel and arch (more noticeable sometimes than others depending on ground level etc) but if you look at BMW's in general they all have that and I understand ACS designed it that way for added handling prowess. Thanks Lorcan and AC Schnitzer.

Just as a matter of interest nick was wondering if you could measure your arch to floor measurements to compare with mine to see if the f31 ends up lower at the back cos of additional weight? By the way car looks great.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #30
Aldur
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d saloon F30

Forged wheels or engine upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
On Monday we fitted a set to another 335dx, owned by an ex traffic cop. Trained to the highest level, with 20 years of pursuit driving under his belt and a sensitive back injury. His verdict: "Transformed in every respect". He even commented that the car felt markedly quicker due to not wasting energy compressing the stock springs, like a fully suspended mountain bike wastes energy bouncing when pedalled on a smooth road. He's now seriously looking at the performance upgrade, exhaust and our 8.3kg forged 19" alloys...
The question I find myself asking is would the forged wheels be a better performance upgrade than the Engine Management upgrade? The wheels would be just over £2000 more.
I realise they would improve overall handling, braking, cornering, provide less wear and tear on suspension system, stronger, look better ( personal preference I know ), lighter by at least 18Kg overall compared to the equivalent cast alloys by AC so therefore improve performance. Including theoretically, better power transference to the road from the engine also. The science boffins at AC also talk about reduced gyroscopic forces multiply this reduced weight effect further improving performance. AC Germany don't provide exact figures and I can't find anyone else who does. But i did notice the difference in performance just with the springs, sharper, more zippy, as though the car had lightened considerable..so....

The question is,
How much difference would you feel? And how much more is the weight saving over the standard M Sport 335d F30 wheels we all have opted for? More than 18kg I would think as they look as though they have substantially more metal on them.

Engine upgrade with AC or their forged wheels? Any thoughts please?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #31
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

@Lorcan - what's the view on spacers? I'm hoping to fit mine this week for cosmetic reasons but should I expect handling difference with the springs setup?
      07-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #32
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
@Lorcan - what's the view on spacers? I'm hoping to fit mine this week for cosmetic reasons but should I expect handling difference with the springs setup?
Most ACS wheels come with hubcentric adaptors (a spigot ring and spacer combined) to correct the offset of a wheel for the target car. In itself, it doesn't matter if this material forms part of the wheel or comes as a spacer, the end result is the same - a slightly wider track that gives a minimal handling advantage but looks nice. ACS wheels always run a more aggressive offset than BMW or Alpina for example. It's part of the sporty ACS look and stance.

We don't sell spacers for use with standard wheels so I can't really comment on them.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #33
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan
Quote:
Most ACS wheels come with hubcentric adaptors (a spigot ring and spacer combined) to correct the offset of a wheel for the target car. In itself, it doesn't matter if this material forms part of the wheel or comes as a spacer, the end result is the same - a slightly wider track that gives a minimal handling advantage but looks nice. ACS wheels always run a more aggressive offset than BMW or Alpina for example. It's part of the sporty ACS look and stance.

We don't sell spacers for use with standard wheels so I can't really comment on them.
Right answer

I'll take pictures and report back..

Many thanks.
      07-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #34
cjm9
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335xd EBII

Lorcan, thinking of having the springs fitted and wondering which dealer you would suggest around West Yorkshire. Bought the car from Sandal at Wakefield, so would probably go to them unless you have a better recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #35
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d g31 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm9 View Post
Lorcan, thinking of having the springs fitted and wondering which dealer you would suggest around West Yorkshire. Bought the car from Sandal at Wakefield, so would probably go to them unless you have a better recommendation.
They are happy to do it, Sandal Wakefield quoted 620 all in.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #36
Paular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Minerl Grey 435d GC

Can see me with a set of these springs before long.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #37
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paular View Post
Can see me with a set of these springs before long.
I read somewhere it's now mandatory
      07-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #38
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
I read somewhere it's now mandatory
don't tell me that!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #39
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldur View Post
The question I find myself asking is would the forged wheels be a better performance upgrade than the Engine Management upgrade? The wheels would be just over £2000 more.
I realise they would improve overall handling, braking, cornering, provide less wear and tear on suspension system, stronger, look better ( personal preference I know ), lighter by at least 18Kg overall compared to the equivalent cast alloys by AC so therefore improve performance. Including theoretically, better power transference to the road from the engine also. The science boffins at AC also talk about reduced gyroscopic forces multiply this reduced weight effect further improving performance. AC Germany don't provide exact figures and I can't find anyone else who does. But i did notice the difference in performance just with the springs, sharper, more zippy, as though the car had lightened considerable..so....

The question is,
How much difference would you feel? And how much more is the weight saving over the standard M Sport 335d F30 wheels we all have opted for? More than 18kg I would think as they look as though they have substantially more metal on them.

Engine upgrade with AC or their forged wheels? Any thoughts please?
Light weight wheels make quite a difference, and as you point out, works in many dimensions, not just acceleration (like engine mods).

However, BMW actually use quite light wheels these days, and the M405 (for example) are flow formed and very light for their size. Probably better bang for buck than ACS wheels?

If you are going down the wheel weight route, then make sure you get serious about choosing light weight tyres too, which means ditching Run flats.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #40
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwol View Post
They are happy to do it, Sandal Wakefield quoted 620 all in.
Yep, Sandal seem to be the best in that area. Ask for Lee Ogden.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 02:44 AM   #41
Aldur
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d saloon F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Light weight wheels make quite a difference, and as you point out, works in many dimensions, not just acceleration (like engine mods).

However, BMW actually use quite light wheels these days, and the M405 (for example) are flow formed and very light for their size. Probably better bang for buck than ACS wheels?

If you are going down the wheel weight route, then make sure you get serious about choosing light weight tyres too, which means ditching Run flats.
Thanks Nisfan,

At this I'm moment trying to get actual weights of the current wheels 19' M star spoke style 402M almost all of us have on our 335d from BMW UK. The local dealer/service dept could not help.

I prefer run flats due to the safety aspect, but i'm aware of weight and comfort benefits returning to non run flats. I don't really wish to go up to 20" Double spoke style 405M as all reports I have heard say they look great, but the ride is very hard. Which I don't want. Otherwise I would probably go for them as I would get some discount from the dealer also. Would be interesting to see what they weigh though compared to the ACS ones.

We will see :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #42
cjm9
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335xd EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Yep, Sandal seem to be the best in that area. Ask for Lee Ogden.
Thanks Lorcan, rang today and just my luck Lee on hols for the next couple of weeks. Had a quote sent through which was more than the £620 quoted to Ozwol but I am sure they will come down lower.

Ozwol, many thanks for the heads up on cost. Presume the £620 included VAT? Did you have it done?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #43
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d g31 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm9 View Post
Thanks Lorcan, rang today and just my luck Lee on hols for the next couple of weeks. Had a quote sent through which was more than the £620 quoted to Ozwol but I am sure they will come down lower.

Ozwol, many thanks for the heads up on cost. Presume the £620 included VAT? Did you have it done?
Yes it was fully inclusive of springs, labour and VAT. I bought the car there so maybe that helped with the price?

I decided against in the end as (for me) the car is absolutly fine with stock suspension.
Tbh if i didnt know from the forum it had se suspension i would never have known from the ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #44
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldur View Post
Thanks Nisfan,

At this I'm moment trying to get actual weights of the current wheels 19' M star spoke style 402M almost all of us have on our 335d from BMW UK. The local dealer/service dept could not help.

I prefer run flats due to the safety aspect, but i'm aware of weight and comfort benefits returning to non run flats. I don't really wish to go up to 20" Double spoke style 405M as all reports I have heard say they look great, but the ride is very hard. Which I don't want. Otherwise I would probably go for them as I would get some discount from the dealer also. Would be interesting to see what they weigh though compared to the ACS ones.

We will see :-)
This website will help with the wheel weights

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com
Appreciate 0