F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M Performance Power Kit Fitted 330d F31
GetBMWParts

03-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #89
WeaverBeaver
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Muse View Post
This is PPK inside...and the result is obtained which a very, very accurate bench.
Power is lower in 4th gear, perhaps a little, little higher with 6/7/8, because of the variable power according to gears with this kit, but we cancel out this factor with the bench operator in applying sufficient strenght on rolls adjustement.

So this is the real power
Isn't the flywheel power shown on the graph essentially a calculated derivation of ultimately what is measured, which is power at the wheels? So isn't the 'true' figure what would have been recorded at the wheels, and then the bench will be assuming x% drivetrain loss which may be slightly too low a %? Or am I misunderstanding essentially how a dyno works?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 07:38 AM   #90
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

A Muse's figures don't surprise me at all. I've had the PPK on my 330d for a few weeks now and the differences I've noticed are not dramatic - smoother power delivery in Comfort when the engine has reached temperature and a sense that the car is quicker in Sport (gear changes feel very rapid)

I don't regret buying it but certainly wouldn't have bought it for the change in Comfort alone as its too subtle. So I'm glad there's a Sport option on the auto box!
      03-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #91
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
The PPK one has one extra row in it, but is physically the same letterbox size. If I lined up two cars, one with PPK the other without, you would not notice the difference without kneeling down to count the rows.
Not quite as powerful as the 335D engine then, but close.
      03-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #92
A Muse
Rep
Drives: 330D Touring F31 M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaverBeaver View Post
Isn't the flywheel power shown on the graph essentially a calculated derivation of ultimately what is measured, which is power at the wheels? So isn't the 'true' figure what would have been recorded at the wheels, and then the bench will be assuming x% drivetrain loss which may be slightly too low a %? Or am I misunderstanding essentially how a dyno works?
Hello,

i expect that my poor english level is enough to have a good understanding of your message.
This bench records the transmission's losses during deceleration for each véhicule with great accuracy, for instance it suits for ATV to measure some 0.5 hp difference.

After that this loss is added up with wheels result to give the final curve

Here is another bench result with PPK in France, before and after a new chiptuning, same result:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 01:09 AM   #93
NeilT
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport MPPK

A Muse,

If I read that correctly, the graph above is a PPK equiped car that has had further non-OE mapping done on top to bring power from 288 > 334ps?
      03-04-2016, 02:44 AM   #94
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I didn't think the 330d turbo was rated for that much power, asking for trouble? Pretty sure Nisfan said its only rated to around 310bhp......
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #95
Rewind303
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive MSport

1300 miles into my new 330D and I want one now. Darn you all and your tempting information! :-)

I need a stealth plan... my wife already thinks my cars too fast. Glad theres no visible proof.....

Found this

http://www.matlawrence.com/images/bmw/powerkit.pdf

Is the info still relevant or has any data changed?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 08:09 AM   #96
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind303
1300 miles into my new 330D and I want one now. Darn you all and your tempting information! :-)

I need a stealth plan... my wife already thinks my cars too fast. Glad theres no visible proof.....

Found this

http://www.matlawrence.com/images/bmw/powerkit.pdf

Is the info still relevant or has any data changed?
I believe this is still current. The 330d engine has remained the same since the F30/31 was launched, as has this PPK since it was launched
      03-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #97
A Muse
Rep
Drives: 330D Touring F31 M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilT View Post
A Muse,

If I read that correctly, the graph above is a PPK equiped car that has had further non-OE mapping done on top to bring power from 288 > 334ps?
Exactly, and the reason why it produces this power is the larger air cooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #98
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Muse
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilT View Post
A Muse,

Exactly, and the reason why it produces this power is the larger air cooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #99
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Ok so I finally got my PPK fitted today. I bought the kit from Harry Fairbrurn Giffnock in Scotland who currently have a offer on for £899 incl vat and posting. I however got it for £810 which is a great price.
My local dealer In P.Boro fitted it for £150 but kept it over night as there were download problems on a busy server to Germany.
Anyway I have to agree with what others have said that the power is alot more instant and smoother.
In Sport it's just dam right aggressive. Really does push you in to the seat alot more.
Only had a short drive so far but feels alot better. The M sport dials now show 640 nm
Pretty pleased overall.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #100
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
£1,350 sounds like a bargain. If the MPPK for the 340i only cost that much, I'd be ordering it now! Glad you're enjoying the extra fun factor

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #101
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
£1,350 sounds like a bargain. If the MPPK for the 340i only cost that much, I'd be ordering it now! Glad you're enjoying the extra fun factor
Alot less than that if you order from HF as above post.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #102
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Ok so I finally got my PPK fitted today. I bought the kit from Harry Fairbrurn Giffnock in Scotland who currently have a offer on for £899 incl vat and posting. I however got it for £810 which is a great price.
My local dealer In P.Boro fitted it for £150 but kept it over night as there were download problems on a busy server to Germany.
Anyway I have to agree with what others have said that the power is alot more instant and smoother.
In Sport it's just dam right aggressive. Really does push you in to the seat alot more.
Only had a short drive so far but feels alot better. The M sport dials now show 640 nm
Pretty pleased overall.
Glad you like it so far mate welcome to the club
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 04:08 AM   #103
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz
Pretty pleased overall.
Welcome to the club, as SkyJawa says

That's a damn good price you got there. I paid £1200 all in incl VAT and thought I'd done well

I've done around 1500 miles since my MPPK was fitted. At first I was a bit under-whelmed but am growing to appreciate the subtle differences, and now in normal as well, where at first it was barely noticeable but now there is an instant and distinct surge on gear changes

Anyone who says it's changes the car completely is talking out of their butt dyno. It's subtle as I've said before, making the power delivery that much more urgent and instantaneous

Not sure if I'd spend the money again, knowing what I know now, as the engine was bloody good to start with
      03-19-2016, 04:42 AM   #104
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz
Pretty pleased overall.
Glad you like it.

I was given a 430d this week whilst mine has some work done on it, and yes I can definitely tell there is no PPK on this 430......flat.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:21 AM   #105
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Welcome to the club, as SkyJawa says

That's a damn good price you got there. I paid £1200 all in incl VAT and thought I'd done well

I've done around 1500 miles since my MPPK was fitted. At first I was a bit under-whelmed but am growing to appreciate the subtle differences, and now in normal as well, where at first it was barely noticeable but now there is an instant and distinct surge on gear changes

Anyone who says it's changes the car completely is talking out of their butt dyno. It's subtle as I've said before, making the power delivery that much more urgent and instantaneous

Not sure if I'd spend the money again, knowing what I know now, as the engine was bloody good to start with
Hi
Yes was a great price to good to say No really.
HF Giffnock have a few offers in there website at the moment and they got it sent with in a wk from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #106
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Glad you like it so far mate welcome to the club
Hi
Have been thinking about it for a while and a big thank you to your self and others such as NISFAN, Watsey etc who have provided info and helped me decide.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #107
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

One thing I seem to have notice from reading up alot is people's opinions seem to differ on the PPK.
Not sure if each one is ever so slightly different or people's perspective is etc. Or a bit of both may be?

Not driven my one much since yesterday but I noticed the difference in comfort straight away. Traction control light alot easier to light up that's for sure. Plus much more shove in to the seat as iv said before.
I go to Germany a few times a yr so wil be able to see the full range across the power band soon. As before and after review.

Have a week long trip in June also planned down to the Bavarian Alps and Berchtesgaden. Did the same trip last year in a new Passat Biturbo 240 bhp so will be a intresting comparison.

Last edited by mikeoz; 03-19-2016 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #108
C5_GBO
Carl
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

This might be a stupid question, but I've seen a new unused PPK ECU come up for sale and I wanted to understand if this can be installed and tuned (by BMW or an indy) without the upgraded cooler? Would you expect similar power figures without larger cooler or is it mandatory that its installed with the ECU?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #109
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F31Gibbon View Post
This might be a stupid question, but I've seen a new unused PPK ECU come up for sale and I wanted to understand if this can be installed and tuned (by BMW or an indy) without the upgraded cooler? Would you expect similar power figures without larger cooler or is it mandatory that its installed with the ECU?
Hi
Pretty sure a bmw dealer won't do that for you.
Also when you order the kit from bmw they are for each cars vin.
Data and coding is then unloaded from bmw germany when they install it which can take all day depending on how busy the server is.

My local bmw dealer wanted to see the invoice from bmw or r they would not touch it.
Main dealer won't touch a ebay job and I'm pretty sure a indy can't do it due to the data link.

Happy to be corrected however if some one knows more?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #110
C5_GBO
Carl
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Hi
Pretty sure a bmw dealer won't do that for you.
Also when you order the kit from bmw they are for each cars vin.
Data and coding is then unloaded from bmw germany when they install it which can take all day depending on how busy the server is.

My local bmw dealer wanted to see the invoice from bmw or r they would not touch it.
Main dealer won't touch a ebay job and I'm pretty sure a indy can't do it due to the data link.

Happy to be corrected however if some one knows more?
OK cool, that answers that one then!
Someone was selling an new unused PPK ECU on ebay and when questioned he claimed BMW lost his original ECU during the PPK upgrade so gave him an extra PPK ECU and has no use for it...
If you're saying BMW wont touch it and an Indy will not be able to do anything with it, its a pretty useless bit of kit he's trying to flog
Cheers
Appreciate 0