F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tony Lewis (TRL) What A Guy! 👍 (New Car Deals)
proTUNING Freaks

11-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #67
swanseahammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 330e M Sport

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
I emailed him yesterday and had a very positive and professional response and provided me with more information and help I expected ?
2008 - 2012 E90 320d SE
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #68
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

I got this right off the bat:
Having been in the business for the last 17 years its vey unlikely that we get beaten on price and I don't just give quotes out so people can shop around , no I'm not insinuating that your that kind of brother but I like to keep my cards close to me .

The not insinuating bit got my back up a bit, but thought ok will tell you where I am now, then they want written proof??? Sorry it's not a court of law, plus capitalism is all about shopping around, i wouldn't be emailing you if I wasn't shopping around.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #69
Ice Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

It must be tricky for them to sort the buyers from the spyers and the needy from the greedy,.

They must do a significant amount of quotes that then get waved in front of the local dealer with the promise of match it / better out and the deal is yours. leaving Tony and his team do lots of leg work for no return.

I bought from Tony and found he was a top bloke and was very patient with my many variations of options and cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #70
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

Needy from the greedy? I doubt anyone buying a BMW is needy, admittedly I do agree you don't want to waste your time on someone who isn't likely to buy, but I am only asking for a quote as he comes highly recommended from this forum, don't expect have to jump through hoops as a customer just to get a quote, or be insulted and asked for evidence, previously dealt with Riaz, he was much easier to do business with
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #71
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

In Tony's defence, he started off the email convo in a very professional and customer friendly manor, it's post tony I feel it went Pete tong
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #72
FOAD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d Msport MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
It must be tricky for them to sort the buyers from the spyers and the needy from the greedy,.

They must do a significant amount of quotes that then get waved in front of the local dealer with the promise of match it / better out and the deal is yours. leaving Tony and his team do lots of leg work for no return.

I bought from Tony and found he was a top bloke and was very patient with my many variations of options and cars.
If you tell a dealer what car model you want (or a choice of a couple to see what you can afford) and whether your having finance, exactly how much leg work is there?

I walked into my local dealer with my preferences and had a quote for two cars in less than 5 minutes completed right infront of my eyes. Having told him to give me his best price on each because I would check elsewhere as well, he was only too happy to do his best (which was beyond what I expected and better than Broadspeed were quoting).

If that's too much hassle for a dealer then walk... How much effort will they put in for you AFTER you have signed on the dotted line?

Ultimately it sounds like the chap wants the buyer to do the leg work then come in and ask them to match it, rather than try to get the business by not dicking about.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #73
Archer-s
Captain
Rep

Thanks Foad, and that's exactly where I am, here's the spec, this is my car, what's the best deal you can do, simples IMO
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #74
TRL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i and Alpine A110 pure

I think it went wrong when I had too many quotes to deal with and had to ask my team to assist. They are just doing what they are trained to do, give the details out verbally rather than in writing which is what has happened here I fear. I do run a risk by emailing the hard facts out - because there are several forum users who then make it too easy for their local dealer by just sticking my offer under their noses. And to be fair I get a lot of flack from other dealers over stepping on their toes. Then I risk being told to get off of the forums. I accept people are shopping around - all I ask is that you make your local dealer work for it as I am putting a lot of my spare time and effort into this - I am not on commission like a Sales Exec - I get paid when we make budget - and that does not happen that often!!! This was a bit of sport that seems to have grown legs! I will try and hold on to everything moving forward guys!
Appreciate 5
      11-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #75
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRL
I think it went wrong when I had too many quotes to deal with and had to ask my team to assist. They are just doing what they are trained to do, give the details out verbally rather than in writing which is what has happened here I fear. I do run a risk by emailing the hard facts out - because there are several forum users who then make it too easy for their local dealer by just sticking my offer under their noses. And to be fair I get a lot of flack from other dealers over stepping on their toes. Then I risk being told to get off of the forums. I accept people are shopping around - all I ask is that you make your local dealer work for it as I am putting a lot of my spare time and effort into this - I am not on commission like a Sales Exec - I get paid when we make budget - and that does not happen that often!!! This was a bit of sport that seems to have grown legs! I will try and hold on to everything moving forward guys!
This sounds fair enough TBH.

If you want a written figure to wave in front of your local dealer then use coast2coast, they give you an instant figure almost identical to Tony's, without them putting any man hours into it.

But if you want a great price & great service & don't mind traveling to London to collect, then believe me Tony is the man to go with!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #76
je suis Paris
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRL View Post
Hello Mr TRL.

Do you still have the Daytona chronograph?

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #77
TRL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i and Alpine A110 pure

Haha! Slightly OT !!! Nope I am sporting Franck Muller King Conquistador now!
a little less obvious.....
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #78
je suis Paris
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
Haha! Slightly OT !!! Nope I am sporting Franck Muller King Conquistador now!
a little less obvious.....
Yes.

A very low profile watch.......

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #79
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #80
je suis Paris
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Fcuk off!!

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #81
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by je suis Paris
Quote:
Fcuk off!!

Le ban.
      11-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #82
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by je suis Paris
Quote:
Fcuk off!!

Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #83
Thehoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3series

Quote:
I get why your guys won't put quotes in writing, and I know first hand that the deal I got couldn't be beaten by a few dealerships locally.

The guy I am dealing with now(Allan) has been good and responded with whatever I've asked.

Seems ok to me so far......
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #84
frazzle
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:

Got to admit it does wind me up when forum members on both here and BabyBMW readily admit to using your quote to get their locals to deal - it always feels a bit underhand to me.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #85
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazzle View Post
Got to admit it does wind me up when forum members on both here and BabyBMW readily admit to using your quote to get their locals to deal - it always feels a bit underhand to me.
In regards to cars and dealers, it's wrong to name people and post or show actual printed quotes.

However, using a quote to see what you can get local is fair.

It gives you an idea of what's available.

Buying other stuff, I get quotes and then look for some place to beat or at least price match.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #86
frazzle
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
In regards to cars and dealers, it's wrong to name people and post or show actual printed quotes.

However, using a quote to see what you can get local is fair.

It gives you an idea of what's available.

Buying other stuff, I get quotes and then look for some place to beat or at least price match.
Yeah I understand that there is a fine line, but at points I have literally seen people admit to getting a quote from Tony so they can use it for their local dealers.

Given the time Tony and his team put into it, and the fact that they provide great personal service, it feels a bit much to then take it and use it to hammer down the price elsewhere. Just my view though and I guess its a business transaction in the end and everyone wants to get best value.

For my next car, so long as its a BMW, Tony will be the first person I go to.

Getting a coast 2 coast quote which is publicly available is absolutely there to set the expectation with a dealer though.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #87
Thehoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3series

I suppose it depends on the deal.

TRL have the best deal even if only by a little so they got my business.

The reputation for being first class made that decision for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #88
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehoss View Post
I suppose it depends on the deal.

TRL have the best deal even if only by a little so they got my business.

The reputation for being first class made that decision for me.
Service, reliability etc are worth that extra, more so if the deals first class as well.
Appreciate 0