F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How far can you drive the car without the key being inside?
ARMA SPEED

12-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSport EBII

How far can you drive the car without the key being inside?

I am little confused.com so thought I'd seek your thoughts.

Given the dip in temperature and frosty mornings I like to start the car for a few minutes before I leave. In my E91 I'd start the car, leave the key in the ignition and lock with the metal removable key.

In my F30, with comfort access, I start the car, try and lock it from the outside whilst the key is inside - this doesnt work.

So, I take the key with me and try and lock (car is still running) however this doesnt work.

Seems like the only option is to leave car running and take key in with me. I thought there would be no way that you could drive the car without the key being in the car but to my amazement I tried and was able to put it into Drive and pull off - ok just a few metres but nevertheless I found this to a serious flaw, does it eventually cut out?

Any thoughts, similar experiences and a solution to this?

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
Seda
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328

I opt for a valet parking once in a mall and I forgot to give the key to the parking guy. He went on driving my car into the basement car park of a mall and park in in the valet section of the carpark basement. Distance is about a few hundred meters and I am amazed that the guy can drove off and park my car. But once he parked the car, switch the engine off, he couldnt start the car. I knew this when I pick up my car and the valet service informed me that I forgot to give them my car keys and they need it to start the car. Not sure if its a flaw but I am just amazed......
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
My understanding is - if the engine is running and the keyfob moves outside the range detectable by the car, you will get a warning on the dash however the engine will continue to run (believe this is actually a safety feature). If you then stop the engine with the button, you cannot restart it until the keyfob is in range again.

What I'm not sure of is what happens if the keyfob is out of range and ASS stops the engine. Does it restart in those circumstances?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

This is a great question, as i have been wondering this too....

I think you can drive the car off, and only when you stop engine (eg by pushing the button) you would be unable to the re-start .

(This is how our E60 works, as you can take the car out once the car have been runnnig for 30 seconds and then restart car without the key)
      12-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

My experience, when my dad visited and I was showing him the car, was that Drive refused to engage and the warning flashed up about the key being absent. The engine continued to run but the car steadfastly refused to engage any gears.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
This is a great question, as i have been wondering this too....

I think you can drive the car off, and only when you stop engine (eg by pushing the button) you would be unable to the re-start .

(This is how our E60 works, as you can take the car out once the car have been runnnig for 30 seconds and then restart car without the key)
So I tested this out a little further, started the car as normal, went into the house and left the key inside.

Drove off and no warning noises - not sure I like this "feature"!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops_f30 View Post
So I tested this out a little further, started the car as normal, went into the house and left the key inside.

Drove off and no warning noises - not sure I like this "feature"!
The warning message dismisses itself after a few seconds so it probably appeared as you were taking the key into the house & had gone by the time you returned.

I tried it...

- Started car as normal, backed out of garage, opened door, put keyfob on shelf in garage.
- As soon as I got in the car and closed the door (door open message goes away), got a 'bong' and this on the black panel display...

as well as this on iDrive...

...both messages disappeared after about 4-5 seconds. I was still able to select 'D' and drive off.
- Drove the car about 50 yds up the road, pulled over and switched the engine off.
- Tried to start it - nothing, just got this...

- Tried a couple more times and I then got a message asking me to hold the keyfob up to the steering column.

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 12-04-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I wonder how far you could get before the car stopped, it's nuts that it does this at all!
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

It would also be dangerous for it to just cut out at some point. I liked the idea mentioned above that you wouldn't be able to take it out of park.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I think this was mentioned on the main forum, a guy's wife dropped him at the airport, and was able to drive all the way home with no key.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I think I also read that you're able to restart the car within 10 seconds of the engine being turned off, even if the key is outside the vehicle (e.g. if you get out of the car, someone in the passenger seat could quickly jump over to the driver's seat, lock the doors and drive off in the car! I wonder if this is actually true? Could be a potential nightmare for test drives, if so, as I doubt all the dealers will realise this...
      12-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Tried another little experiment - keyfob only had to be about 5-6ft away from the driver's door for iDrive to come up with the 'No remote' warning. However... I was still able to shift from Park to D with the keyfob out of range.

If the engine cut out as the keyfob goes out of range, could be disastrous. Imagine - you drop off your partner who has the key in their pocket, pull out into busy traffic, engine cuts out...

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
G16grancoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 f90

i know this is slightly off topic but i always wondered about the park button. what if you accidentally hit it while in motion???? i would think it has a safety but has anyone confirmed? i always think about it with my hand on that shifter.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2013328i View Post
i know this is slightly off topic but i always wondered about the park button. what if you accidentally hit it while in motion???? i would think it has a safety but has anyone confirmed? i always think about it with my hand on that shifter.
I don't think you can put it into park while in motion...
      12-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

You can't, it won't let you do anything it considers stupid. That can be annoying when you want to say reverse with the door open, it just won't let you.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK
Tried another little experiment - keyfob only had to be about 5-6ft away from the driver's door for iDrive to come up with the 'No remote' warning. However... I was still able to shift from Park to D with the keyfob out of range.

If the engine cut out as the keyfob goes out of range, could be disastrous. Imagine - you drop off your partner who has the key in their pocket, pull out into busy traffic, engine cuts out...
I was more concerned about the tea leaf walking past when my car is warming up who then drives off! Saying that, if BMW had a "kill" option that would do the job!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops_f30 View Post
I was more concerned about the tea leaf walking past when my car is warming up who then drives off! Saying that, if BMW had a "kill" option that would do the job!!!!!
How about a quick call to BMW Assist and then when the car is next stationary they remotely cut the engine, activate the hazard flashers and sound the alarm and notify the police of its location! On the practical side I guess the main issue would be liability - it could still cause an accident of some sort, e.g. the vehicle is stranded in the middle of a busy junction where the thief was making a turn. I'd wager an insurance company wouldn't cover any loss arising from the remote shutting down of your engine

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
dan yeates
Rep
Drives: 320d Sport Saloon

My BMW told me it will continue to run until you turn off the engine, at which point you won't be able to restart it.
      01-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #19
f30deep
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 335i

You can drive pretty far with the car, my mom just took my car to drive home which is like a 10-15 minute drive when she got home she called me and realized i never gave her my keys and she cant lock it now, i didnt think this could happen at all but watch out where you leave your car on even if your key fob is in your pocket guys
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30deep View Post
You can drive pretty far with the car, my mom just took my car to drive home which is like a 10-15 minute drive when she got home she called me and realized i never gave her my keys and she cant lock it now, i didnt think this could happen at all but watch out where you leave your car on even if your key fob is in your pocket guys
Nice thread resurrection - 4 1/2 years, is that a record?!
Soul_Glo13161.00
      01-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #21
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30deep View Post
You get out with the key, and the car is still running and the driver drives off, the car 'bongs' an alarm at them, and a notification comes up on the screen.

If a driver is too dense to notice such a thing, then only they are to blame. Not BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #22
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

My wife managed 3 miles without the key after having dropped me somewhere. She then parked but obviously couldn't restart to come and get the key, so I had to go to her. Was actually quite funny at the time.
Appreciate 0