F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive suspension: knocking sounds over minor bumps
GetBMWParts

02-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #287
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
is there good audio clip of the noise? I always hear noise going over bumps but perceive that as run flats on 19 inch alloys being loud when going over uneven surface.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #288
Wheatley173
Rep
Drives: F30 m sport and E90 m sport

I have 2013 m sport with 19" alloy wheels. I get this noise, but I don't believe I have adaptive suspension. My friend believed it sounds likeit the drivers sidetop mount. But the symptoms are exactly as everyone has described. Very clear driving over cats eyes or loose/ bad ground. Does anyone have experience of this software update working on cars which don't have adaptive suspension. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #289
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Steering rack is your problem mate. I had it on my f20 and also on my current f30. The racks are electric opposed to hydraulic so are not as muted. A new rack will cure your knocking noise. Hit your local dealer for a goodwill replacement as its very common. They have changed thousands all over the world. The noise will eventually come back but there is no certain timescale. Some get a few thousand miles some a lot more.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #290
BimmerSkunk
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley173 View Post
I have 2013 m sport with 19" alloy wheels. I get this noise, but I don't believe I have adaptive suspension. My friend believed it sounds likeit the drivers sidetop mount. But the symptoms are exactly as everyone has described. Very clear driving over cats eyes or loose/ bad ground. Does anyone have experience of this software update working on cars which don't have adaptive suspension. Thanks
The non-adaptive suspension doesn't have any modules to put software onto, so unfortunately that won't be your issue. Check your swaybar endlinks, they seem to go bad quickly on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #291
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

I had it in my F31, which I bought new. I noticed it mostly when going over speed bumps (which I always do slowly - BMW's hate speed bumps) I used to hear a clunk from the front as the cars front wheels dropped over the trailing edge of the speed bump.

I wrote about it on this forum, I took the car back to the dealership who said they couldn't find a problem. On the fourt visit back to the dealership they said that they'd change the steering rack - problem solved! I've never had a problem since. Now 30k on the clock and all is better than when I first got the car, new!

As mikeysix said... steering rack.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:30 AM   #292
Wheatley173
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysix View Post
Steering rack is your problem mate. I had it on my f20 and also on my current f30. The racks are electric opposed to hydraulic so are not as muted. A new rack will cure your knocking noise. Hit your local dealer for a goodwill replacement as its very common. They have changed thousands all over the world. The noise will eventually come back but there is no certain timescale. Some get a few thousand miles some a lot more.
Thanks for coming back to me. The car still has approved used warranty. Do you think a rack would be covered via this ?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #293
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Had the PUMA software update done on my 2012 335i with adaptive suspension last week and the clonking noise has completely gone - except on the one piece of road (left hand uphill bend with decaying tarmac) that always triggered it, where it's actually worse now!

However, this is a trade-off I'm more than happy to accept as it's now quiet everywhere else I've been so far, even over roads where it would have previously been audible, in particular over the speed bumps through our village.

I had to pay for the update as the car is out of warranty, but well worth it as far as I'm concerned.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #294
Wheatley173
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Had the PUMA software update done on my 2012 335i with adaptive suspension last week and the clonking noise has completely gone - except on the one piece of road (left hand uphill bend with decaying tarmac) that always triggered it, where it's actually worse now!

However, this is a trade-off I'm more than happy to accept as it's now quiet everywhere else I've been so far, even over roads where it would have previously been audible, in particular over the speed bumps through our village.

I had to pay for the update as the car is out of warranty, but well worth it as far as I'm concerned.
Mine doesn't have the adaptive suspension. But is still in approved used warranty, so hoping that the steering rack is covered under this, as long as they don't try and fob it of under the following : all service items or items that will require periodic replacement. Any one had and experience of approved warranty ???
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #295
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

We have Adaptive on our F31 - 3 weeks into ownership (from brand new) I started to notice a knock from the front o/s. Dealers apparently found issue with shock absorber and have replaced today. Picking up tomorrow, so will see if it's sorted
      09-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #296
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
is there good audio clip of the noise? I always hear noise going over bumps but perceive that as run flats on 19 inch alloys being loud when going over uneven surface.
no clip required - it is a massive thud like hit a monster pothole. very alarming the first time!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 04:41 AM   #297
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

We weren't getting that massive thud, but definitely a knock. Car came back today and all ok - they replaced the OSF top mount and boot.
      01-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #298
zerreissen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
We weren't getting that massive thud, but definitely a knock. Car came back today and all ok - they replaced the OSF top mount and boot.
I had the top mount on the drivers front corner replaced last year on my 2014 335, luckily BMW covered it under warranty. Unfortunately now it's making that noise again and the car is out of warranty and I don't think the CPO warranty covers it. Guess I'll be replacing it myself this go around...
      01-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #299
jnismith
Captain
Rep
Drives: Golf R, Maserati Gransport

I had this on my ‘63 335D from new. It was a bit of a pain going over speed bumps but on the open road was fine. I never got around to complaining about it. It was one of 5hose things, like scraping your alloys, that I just got used to and thought, it’s only a car ffs.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #300
zerreissen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerreissen View Post
I had the top mount on the drivers front corner replaced last year on my 2014 335, luckily BMW covered it under warranty. Unfortunately now it's making that noise again and the car is out of warranty and I don't think the CPO warranty covers it. Guess I'll be replacing it myself this go around...
Welp, took the car in for a stuck open thermostat and had them check out the noise while I was there. The shop foreman rode with me and confirmed the noise. Got a call later that it's the steering rack "coming apart from the inside" so they've ordered a new steering rack from Germany.
      02-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #301
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

I took mine in to dealer and went for test drive to show him the thud.....obvioudly he said something wrong there.

Had car all day and.......can't find anything.

Apparently, no advisories on the system.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:32 AM   #302
scoobeesnac
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i MY2014

Finally after 4 years trying to sort this, BMW denial as others reported and also wrangling with ACS springs - I got BMW FS involved and boom - steering rack replaced and problem resolved.

Also had a new steering column for a clicking, new steering wheel for leather cracking, new alloys for blistering and a variety of other fixes and replacements - sigh.

The hardest part is working with the service departments - you really would benefit from a close relationship but it's not something where I have much time to invest in.
ACS Springs & M Sport+ Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack : Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium/gloss black bar, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass, Sun band, Electric side mirrors, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sports Steering, Black Panel display, Enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #303
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335Xd, E81 130i

It's amazing that BMW replace the rack when it's probably one interference part.

I can't understand how the business model can stand for that kind of waste and expense.

Given the weird steering knock that goes away when a car is started I'm imagining a slack EPS input gear slack is taken up, but with time the slack builds.

The EPS E85 Z4 does the same. Some get sticky steering, some loose.

You can look for play all day long but there is none in the steering rack/wheels etc.
The noise/play is between the rack/column and the EPS motor drive.

In the Z4 you just adjust the clearance.

It took from 2003 new cars > 2011/13 ish for BMW to offer a TIS fix for the adjustment vs 'replace with a new column' fixes iirc.

It's a 15 min job.

It does make you wonder!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #304
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep looks like EPS motor is on the rack.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_2071

I know someone mentioned an adjustment for steering tightness at the column/rack interface, but there must be a similar one in that gearbox that is the cause of these issues (imo)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #305
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whippy View Post
It's amazing that BMW replace the rack when it's probably one interference part. I can't understand how the business model can stand for that kind of waste and expense.
They probably buy in complete racks at £30 a pop and it's not worth the aggro to fix them. I was told recently that a new Ford Transit only costs £2500 to make - can you imagine how low the component costs are?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 05:30 AM   #306
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
Rep

Well BMW probably 'sell' the rack to dealership at retail price, then the dealership claim that back under warranty from BMW at £££ retail price too.

But yes maybe they're cheap enough to actually make that BMW prefer to sell em and account for them in creative ways, than have higher labour durations at the dealerships which they can't take a cut of.

The downside is that it takes years for decent sensible fixes to arrive.

In 10 years this'll be a £10 fix and 30mins labour.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #307
Mattx98
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whippy View Post
Well BMW probably 'sell' the rack to dealership at retail price, then the dealership claim that back under warranty from BMW at £££ retail price too.

But yes maybe they're cheap enough to actually make that BMW prefer to sell em and account for them in creative ways, than have higher labour durations at the dealerships which they can't take a cut of.

The downside is that it takes years for decent sensible fixes to arrive.

In 10 years this'll be a £10 fix and 30mins labour.
I took my car in to the dealer last week to address a recall issue. While I was there I mentioned the clunking noise and immediately I was told it's probably related to my H&R sport springs.

I sent the service advisor the bulletin I found on this thread and he had the tech take a look. He said they could do the update and it will update all the modules in the car.

I decided to go ahead and pay for the software update on my 2013 335i with adaptive suspension and the clonking noise has completely gone away!

I highly recommend printing a copy of the bulletin and handing it to the service advisor as I would have been stuck with being told it was my springs because BMW didn't want to do the legwork of finding the PUMA bulletin.

I switched over to non run flats a few days after this update and I have to say this is how I expected the car to drive from the get go.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #308
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
I had the same thing on my 2015 435i. Started becoming noticeable about 10k miles I reckon.

I had read about the steering rack issue on here already.

However, despite mentioning this and BMW having had a look at it on more than one occassion and claimed they couldn't find anything.

Continued to piss me off until I changed the car after 3 years, and to be honest was a real gripe (third world problems, I know). it was just bloody embarrasing having a new motor that had a loud clattering/rattling on uneven surfaces that you could hear with the windows open.