F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Day Time Running Lights
GetBMWParts

04-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #23
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
But if I had a Jag XF, I would've been turning them off somehow, because well, that's not Jaguarish and they are not integrated well IMO - just an afterthought, or a regulation that needed to be fulfilled.
Know just what you mean. Every time I see one of those Jags coming towards me I think...

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #24
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Know just what you mean. Every time I see one of those Jags coming towards me I think...
HA!

Shame, I like the XF, but give me the pre-LCI!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #25
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
Must be a UK thing that you can't turn them off without coding. I have an option in iDrive to turn them off.
So do I. I am in the UK.
      04-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i Sport

having little choice in the uk buying at a year old.
most of the BMW AUC cars don't seem to have xenons/angel eyes.

it's one option i wouldn't be without if buying from new...
(though i don't see why BMW couldn't have all their cars with angel eyes, even if they kept the halogens.)

i thought an easy solution would be a blue coated halogen bulb that could filter the yellow out and leave a crisp white light,
but couldn't even find anywhere selling any PW24W lamps....

so doing a search here i found the link for the IJDM LED replacements
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=645684&page=3

ordered them on the 22nd through ebay and they arrived today the 30th.
(not a bad post time from California)
it took just a couple of minutes to fit them and they worked perfectly with no errors.

they are not as powerful as the 24w bulbs, but are still quite bright, very white, and easily visible.
they could probably actually do with having 3-4 LED's on each side and make them longer as they only just reach inside the reflector.

i've also ordered MTEC 'white 4350k' halogens for my high beam,low beam, and fog lamps that i had on my previous E90.
they also are a little dimmer than yellow halogens but plenty bright enough with a crisp white light.
i'm happy enough with the end result,
(though not as happy as i would have been with xenons....)

anyway here's a pic with them fitted.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #27
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Looking great Dave, might have to get me some of these
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #28
Baz P
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue Xirallic 320D SE

It isn't law to use them in the UK - only to have them fitted for EU type approval.

I've been through the loop with BMW UK as I took an F30 for a test drive in June/July and the option to turn them off was on the iDrive. When I picked up my new car on 1st September 2012 it wasn't and I wasn't very happy.

I wrote to BMW UK and asked them what had happened to the option so they pointed me to the handbook

I acknowledged that the information of how to turn off the DRL was in the handbook but, unfortunately, not in the car and asked for an explanation as I wanted the option reinstated. They then implied that the handbooks were "universal" which was why they had mistakenly referred me to it. I then asked if that was so why didn't the the USofA version of the handbook (which I had found online) mention anything to do with diesel engines (for instance) if the handbook was universal. No plausible response.

They next told me it was EU law to use the DRL so I found the EU regulations, which I sent them, confirming that the fitting of DRL was necessary for type approval but there was no legal requirement to use them.

Then I was told it was UK law so I contacted the Department for Transport and sent BMW UK the response confirming that it wasn't UK law either and requesting that the option be reinstated. They then told me they had contacted the Technical Department who said that the option to reinstate the DRL option was not possible.

I then sent them a copy of the code required (which I'd got from this site) which would reinstate the DRL option but they then said that there were lots of things floating around the internet but they weren't genuine.

I finally suggested that I would get the option reinstated (I don't think I've got the bottle to do it myself so I'd have to find somebody in the UK to do it for me - any offers gratefully accepted and of course I'd pay) but would not expect them to delete the option if it went in for a service and had a software upgrade from BMW. I pointed out to them that this obviously wouldn't be a problem as they had already told me that it was technically impossible to reinstate the option so it must be technically impossible for them to delete it, wouldn't it, and if they did I would charge them for getting the option put back again and expect to be paid. Flat refusal!

The upshot is that they won't reinstate the option (despite there being no legal reason why they shouldn't) but they won't guarantee that they wouldn't delete the option if I had it reinstated "unofficially".

I get the impression that if it was an official "option" which they could charge a couple of hundred quid for after you'd ticked the box when it was being built they could do it but, as it isn't, you can go and boil your head.

Very sour taste in my mouth not helped by the bloody dreadful disc (and caliper) corrosion my car is suffering from.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Welcome Baz

jeeeez ............you really do not like DRL's then I take it?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #30
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Calm down dear. It's only DRL.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #31
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz P View Post
It isn't law to use them in the UK - only to have them fitted for EU type approval.

I've been through the loop with BMW UK as I took an F30 for a test drive in June/July and the option to turn them off was on the iDrive. When I picked up my new car on 1st September 2012 it wasn't and I wasn't very happy.

I wrote to BMW UK and asked them what had happened to the option so they pointed me to the handbook

I acknowledged that the information of how to turn off the DRL was in the handbook but, unfortunately, not in the car and asked for an explanation as I wanted the option reinstated. They then implied that the handbooks were "universal" which was why they had mistakenly referred me to it. I then asked if that was so why didn't the the USofA version of the handbook (which I had found online) mention anything to do with diesel engines (for instance) if the handbook was universal. No plausible response.

They next told me it was EU law to use the DRL so I found the EU regulations, which I sent them, confirming that the fitting of DRL was necessary for type approval but there was no legal requirement to use them.

Then I was told it was UK law so I contacted the Department for Transport and sent BMW UK the response confirming that it wasn't UK law either and requesting that the option be reinstated. They then told me they had contacted the Technical Department who said that the option to reinstate the DRL option was not possible.

I then sent them a copy of the code required (which I'd got from this site) which would reinstate the DRL option but they then said that there were lots of things floating around the internet but they weren't genuine.

I finally suggested that I would get the option reinstated (I don't think I've got the bottle to do it myself so I'd have to find somebody in the UK to do it for me - any offers gratefully accepted and of course I'd pay) but would not expect them to delete the option if it went in for a service and had a software upgrade from BMW. I pointed out to them that this obviously wouldn't be a problem as they had already told me that it was technically impossible to reinstate the option so it must be technically impossible for them to delete it, wouldn't it, and if they did I would charge them for getting the option put back again and expect to be paid. Flat refusal!

The upshot is that they won't reinstate the option (despite there being no legal reason why they shouldn't) but they won't guarantee that they wouldn't delete the option if I had it reinstated "unofficially".

I get the impression that if it was an official "option" which they could charge a couple of hundred quid for after you'd ticked the box when it was being built they could do it but, as it isn't, you can go and boil your head.

Very sour taste in my mouth not helped by the bloody dreadful disc (and caliper) corrosion my car is suffering from.
Do you have Professional Sat-Nav?, I think that may be a requirement to have the appropriate "box" to tick/un tick.
I have the option on mine.
      05-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #32
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Do you have xenons? I can't imagine ever wanting to turn off those lovely LED rings?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #33
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Do you have Professional Sat-Nav?, I think that may be a requirement to have the appropriate "box" to tick/un tick.
I think it depends on software version, which is what he is complaining about. My pro nav doesn't have the option to switch off DRL.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #34
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
I don't have the ProNav and have enabled the DRL ON/OFF option via coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolight View Post
Do you have xenons? I can't imagine ever wanting to turn off those lovely LED rings?
The DRL LED rings really make the car standout, so glad I ticked that option.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #35
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Quote:
Hmmm, I'd have to check mine again then if you have it on your pro nav. Pretty sure I didnt see it when I last looked for it.

Yeah... In bright sunshine, would rather not have them off tbh. If you could turn them off, would that mean in auto, the DRL wouldnt be on when it's sunny?
      05-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #36
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
Hmmm, I'd have to check mine again then if you have it on your pro nav. Pretty sure I didnt see it when I last looked for it.

Yeah... In bright sunshine, would rather not have them off tbh. If you could turn them off, would that mean in auto, the DRL wouldnt be on when it's sunny?
If you switch off the DRL from iDrive then the DRL will be off during a sunny day, when you enter a tunnel and the lights are activated automatically, then the DRL and Xenon will both switch on.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #37
Baz P
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue Xirallic 320D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Welcome Baz

jeeeez ............you really do not like DRL's then I take it?
Love 'em...just wanted something to moan about

A few years ago if you were driving along minding your own business and saw something with lights on during the day it was likely to be a motorcycle and you made sure that the vulnerable person on it had plenty of room to do what motorcyclists do best. I believe that their safety has been compromised by every vehicle on the road now having lights on - not that it makes a lot of difference to some of the dozy buggers I see driving around.

Additionally, in bright daylight, I think DRLs look bloody pretentious. I'm quite capable of turning on my lights in the dark or inclement weather conditions - I don't need to be treated like a buffoon by a car manufacturer.

Apart from that everything in the garden is almost rosy and it'll be better when I've been down the pub in a couple of hours!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #38
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Apart from that everything in the garden is almost rosy and it'll be better when I've been down the pub in a couple of hours!
Just make sure you hav'nt had a "Skin Full" and keep your lights on.
      05-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #39
Jekyll
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 335D MSport

Quote:
Love 'em...just wanted something to moan about

A few years ago if you were driving along minding your own business and saw something with lights on during the day it was likely to be a motorcycle and you made sure that the vulnerable person on it had plenty of room to do what motorcyclists do best. I believe that their safety has been compromised by every vehicle on the road now having lights on - not that it makes a lot of difference to some of the dozy buggers I see driving around.

Additionally, in bright daylight, I think DRLs look bloody pretentious. I'm quite capable of turning on my lights in the dark or inclement weather conditions - I don't need to be treated like a buffoon by a car manufacturer.

I agree with you up to a point. Sensible drivers know when to have their lights on and off. But not all drivers are sensible and, personally, I think that the value of cars with lights on during the day in country areas / A roads in particular is huge and that all cars should have their lights on in these places. It makes people think twice about overtaking in silly places or pulling out of junctions when they spot cars that are lit up properly. Then you get into the debate about when cars should light up in bad weather and in what light conditions. Simple answer : DRLs.

I don't agree with the motorcycle argument at all

I also think the premium car manufacturers in particular want their DRLs to be instantly recognisable as their brand.
Current: '17 F31 335d | BS | Black Dakota | Pro Media Plus | M Sport Plus | Advanced Parking | Interior Comfort | Mirrors || '16 F20 M140i | BS | Manual | Advanced Hifi | Heated Seats | Driver Comfort Pack
Past:bb '13 F31 330d M Sport | '11 E87 118d M Sport | '11 F11 520d M Sport | '07 E70 X5 3.0d SE | '08 E91 320d Edition M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #40
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
I agree with you up to a point. Sensible drivers know when to have their lights on and off. But not all drivers are sensible and, personally, I think that the value of cars with lights on during the day in country areas / A roads in particular is huge and that all cars should have their lights on in these places. It makes people think twice about overtaking in silly places or pulling out of junctions when they spot cars that are lit up properly. Then you get into the debate about when cars should light up in bad weather and in what light conditions. Simple answer : DRLs.

I don't agree with the motorcycle argument at all

I also think the premium car manufacturers in particular want their DRLs to be instantly recognisable as their brand.
I Agree out where I live many idiot drivers do NOT use there lights properly at all. DRL's help.
      05-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #41
RedPepper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Makes you wonder who lobbied hardest to get these make compulsory ... road safety groups, government or the motor industry?

Personaly, I loath the "fairy light" approach to DRLs - Audi and Jaguar being prime perpetrators of this crime against good taste! One reason I didn't buy a second Jaguar XF was the horrid lights, and it was one reason why I left Audi for Jaguar before that! Ok, I didn't move solely because of the lights, but it was a contributory factor.

I like the BMW approach with the rings - clean, simple but still distinctive, and even the non-Xenon approach with a simple, squared light is tasteful, especially in comparison to the overly ornate designs of some manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #42
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPepper View Post
Makes you wonder who lobbied hardest to get these make compulsory ... road safety groups, government or the motor industry?

Personaly, I loath the "fairy light" approach to DRLs - Audi and Jaguar being prime perpetrators of this crime against good taste! One reason I didn't buy a second Jaguar XF was the horrid lights, and it was one reason why I left Audi for Jaguar before that! Ok, I didn't move solely because of the lights, but it was a contributory factor.

I like the BMW approach with the rings - clean, simple but still distinctive, and even the non-Xenon approach with a simple, squared light is tasteful, especially in comparison to the overly ornate designs of some manufacturers.
Have to agree on the "Christmas Tree effect" they do look S**T.
      05-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #43
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPepper View Post

Quite simple, Sweden introduced DRL laws years ago.....accident numbers dropped so was deemed 'a success'.
From then many governments suggested driving with lights on was a 'good idea', which has gained momentum.

Understood that Baz P doesn't want to be treated like a buffoon, but it is very clear how many buffoons are out there. Just look at the number that drive around in dusk with only side lights (i.e. parking lights) on or nothing at all.

I for one, am glad about the introduction of DRL's. (except for those little Citroens that have lasers for DRL's)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #44
RedPepper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Understood that Baz P doesn't want to be treated like a buffoon, but it is very clear how many buffoons are out there. Just look at the number that drive around in dusk with only side lights (i.e. parking lights) on or nothing at all.

I for one, am glad about the introduction of DRL's. (except for those little Citroens that have lasers for DRL's)
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I can see the benefit of DRLs especially as I do a lot of driving in the early hours - amazing how many people think at 5am it is "daylight"!

My point was wondering who lobbied the hardest ... I imagine the marketing men were there right alongside the safety campaigners, seizing the opportunity!
Appreciate 0