F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Can you code/retrofit Enhanced Bluetooth?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #23
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneesliding View Post
Yes, Yes, and Yes
sounds interesting - so I have business nav and standard bluetooth - possible to code enhanced?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #24
Defero
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's my spec but no voice control. However, I have business media not prof and I'm guessing that's the pre-req.
As the post lists im talking about the pro nav, so I dont think it is your spec. I think for you this will not work as you dont have a pro nav HU_NBT
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #25
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
sounds interesting - so I have business nav and standard bluetooth - possible to code enhanced?
No, you must have pro Nav.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #26
jhynds
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 325d M-Coupe

Quote:
Yes, Yes, and Yes
Sounds positive

I can bring it do a garage that can code - but they haven't enabled enhanced bluetooth with office functionality before.

Is there any chance you could tell me (step by step) what exactly needs to be done in order to enable enhanced BT + office functionality.

Thanks,
Jamie
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #27
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

Do you have coding cable? Esys (with a token)?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #28
jhynds
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndyH- View Post
Sorry - I'm a bit new to this.

Have a coding cable and ICOM. Will ICOM do the trick or do I need Esys?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #29
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d F31 M Sport

I added Enhanced BT to my 2-day old F31 (with Pro Nav) last night. To be honest, there was nothing in it that I really wanted, I was just curious about the process. I didn't find any up-to-date documentation online so I fumbled about a bit and it worked eventually.

I wish I had taken a note of the process as it was a little bit trial and error but basically, connect to the car via E-Sys - change the 6NK to 6NS under FA, and then in the coding screen, right-click on the HBT_NU folder and select 'Code'. iDrive then rebooted and came back up with Enhanced BT.

I tested audio over BT from my iPhone and that worked fine, including album art display over BT which surprised me. I was also able to add a second BT device as a second connection (someone else's phone). Then I just changed some iDrive bluetooth settings (and made sure BT notifications were enabled in iOS).

I fiddled about with Office briefly and got some SMS message appearing in the display (and was able to have them read out) but to be honest, I'm really not convinced about the value of this - Siri Eyes Free seems to work really well for me (and the text-to-speech is better with Siri) so I'm not sure if I'd even use it. I didn't bother trying emails.

So, I'm glad I didn't pay for EBT. Even if I hadn't added it, I wouldn't be missing anything as I prefer having my iPhone connected via USB, I only have one phone, and the office functions seem a bit clunky (Siri EF is more useful IMO). However, if any of the above are important to you, it's worth adding it in for the cost of a cable and a large download. If you want the snap-in/enhanced reception functionality, you have no choice but to order it as an option.

Last edited by mproudfoot; 10-03-2013 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #30
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You don't need a token to add EBT.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #31
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproudfoot View Post
I added Enhanced BT to my 2-day old F31 (with Pro Nav) last night. To be honest, there was nothing in it that I really wanted, I was just curious about the process. I didn't find any up-to-date documentation online so I fumbled about a bit and it worked eventually.

I wish I had taken a note of the process as it was a little bit trial and error but basically, connect to the car via E-Sys - change the 6NK to 6NS under FA, and then in the coding screen, right-click on the HBT_NU folder and select 'Code'. iDrive then rebooted and came back up with Enhanced BT.

I tested audio over BT from my iPhone and that worked fine, including album art display over BT which surprised me. I was also able to add a second BT device as a second connection (someone else's phone). Then I just changed some iDrive bluetooth settings (and made sure BT notifications were enabled in iOS).

I fiddled about with Office briefly and got some SMS message appearing in the display (and was able to have them read out) but to be honest, I'm really not convinced about the value of this - Siri Eyes Free seems to work really well for me (and the text-to-speech is better with Siri) so I'm not sure if I'd even use it. I didn't bother trying emails.

So, I'm glad I didn't pay for EBT. Even if I hadn't added it, I wouldn't be missing anything as I prefer having my iPhone connected via USB, I only have one phone, and the office functions seem a bit clunky (Siri EF is more useful IMO). However, if any of the above are important to you, it's worth adding it in for the cost of a cable and a large download. If you want the snap-in/enhanced reception functionality, you have no choice but to order it as an option.
That pretty much represents where I am with it too, the only thing I would say is that if you have the iPhone in the central armrest as I do, then it's often not obvious that a message has arrived unless you hear and remember the message tone. For that reason it would be good to have the message indicator working in Office.
F31 330d Luxury | Mineral White | Cohiba Brown Individual Leather | Prof Media | Vis pack | Sun Protection Glass | Harman Kardon | Adaptive Suspension | Sports Seats | Lumbar | Folding Mirrors | Comfort Pack | Heated Seats | Coded: EBT
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #32
jhynds
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproudfoot View Post

Great stuff - thanks for the update! You are the first person I've came across that has sucesfully enabled it. I will download eSys and give it a go.

I actually wasn't aware of Siri Free. How do I tell if my car is capable of this? (It's a facelift F10 - 2014 model)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #33
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhynds View Post
Great stuff - thanks for the update! You are the first person I've came across that has sucesfully enabled it. I will download eSys and give it a go.

I actually wasn't aware of Siri Free. How do I tell if my car is capable of this? (It's a facelift F10 - 2014 model)

Thanks!
If you hold down the voice command button on the steering wheel, it should activate Siri if you have the feature. iOS has made Siri a lot better and I've found the email and commands to be quite useful (read last email, read emails from John Smith, read messages from Jane Doe etc). One of my colleagues even managed to dictate a fairly detailed email from his but as with all voice command based solutions, it will deend on background noise etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #34
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproudfoot
Quote:
You don't need a token to add EBT.
I've never got a straight answer on what you do and do not need a token for - does anyone here know or sure?
      10-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #35
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Seems that changing anything under VO (such as changing 6NK to 6NS) can be done sans token but changing individual module parameters (FDL) such as enabling video in motion, displaying the tyre pressure/temp in idrive, changing number of sprays per headlight wash etc requires a token.

I'm probably going to order one as I'd like to enable the tyre pressure/temp display, change how I fold/unfold mirrors, remember my last auto-stop/start status, enable USB video and allow closing tailgate from key fob.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d

I don't think you'll get tyre pressure display as EU cars use a cheaper system to those in the US which works on the rotational speed of the tyre.
F31 330d Luxury | Mineral White | Cohiba Brown Individual Leather | Prof Media | Vis pack | Sun Protection Glass | Harman Kardon | Adaptive Suspension | Sports Seats | Lumbar | Folding Mirrors | Comfort Pack | Heated Seats | Coded: EBT
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
mproudfoot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by browellm View Post
I don't think you'll get tyre pressure display as EU cars use a cheaper system to those in the US which works on the rotational speed of the tyre.
Ah well, disappointing but the display is a bit of a gimmick anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #38
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproudfoot
Seems that changing anything under VO (such as changing 6NK to 6NS) can be done sans token but changing individual module parameters (FDL) such as enabling video in motion, displaying the tyre pressure/temp in idrive, changing number of sprays per headlight wash etc requires a token.

I'm probably going to order one as I'd like to enable the tyre pressure/temp display, change how I fold/unfold mirrors, remember my last auto-stop/start status, enable USB video and allow closing tailgate from key fob.
Gold star for the simplest answer I've been given. Many thanks!

Last edited by MarkG_M5Comp; 10-03-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #39
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Yes, Yes, and Yes
Did the dealer do this as my dealer has told me its needs a completely different comms box. My car was built March 2013
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #40
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
Did the dealer do this as my dealer has told me its needs a completely different comms box. My car was built March 2013
The dealer won't enable any of these features.

As for the token if you are going to the effort of downloading the software, buying or making the cable, figuring out how it works, you may as well get the token!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #41
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
The dealer won't enable any of these features.

As for the token if you are going to the effort of downloading the software, buying or making the cable, figuring out how it works, you may as well get the token!
Sorry what is the token?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #42
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
Sorry what is the token?
It's basically a key to activate the "advanced" features (most useful ones!) of the software. Costs about £30-40 but worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #43
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by browellm View Post
This is unfortunately true. You can buy the tyre pressure monitors but I assume that EU model cars do not have the control module.

They are a useful feature as they can display the actual tyres pressures + temps. There are flaws in the rotational system on EU cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #44
Derrymilk
Occasional Lurker
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

My car is due in nov, I have ordered pro nav media, do I not get a cradle included?
Appreciate 0