F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Does 'Clunk'on driver's side of car = new steering rack.?
proTUNING Freaks

08-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Does 'Clunk'on driver's side of car = new steering rack.?

My car has a clunk coming from the front/driver's side of the car, when going over small potholes, rough road, sunken manholes etc.
The BMW technician has heard the noise, has inspected the car and informs me that it is not from the suspension.
The car is booked in next week to have the cause diagnosed & hopefully fixed.
Previous posts have indicated that it is the steering rack that needs replacing.
Unfortunately, most of these posts fizzle out, and I never get to know whether the new rack, when fitted, cures the problem !
So what is it ? Does the new steering rack get rid of the clunk on a permanent basis or not ? Or is it caused by something other than the rack ?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Mine is also in next week for the same problem. I also get a creaking while turning the steering wheel, I don't know if they are connected.

I read somewhere the shock absorber mountings can cause a knocking but I can't remember if it is on the front or rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
DWCP
Rep
Drives: 320i Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
My car has a clunk coming from the front/driver's side of the car, when going over small potholes, rough road, sunken manholes etc.
The BMW technician has heard the noise, has inspected the car and informs me that it is not from the suspension.
The car is booked in next week to have the cause diagnosed & hopefully fixed.
Previous posts have indicated that it is the steering rack that needs replacing.
Unfortunately, most of these posts fizzle out, and I never get to know whether the new rack, when fitted, cures the problem !
So what is it ? Does the new steering rack get rid of the clunk on a permanent basis or not ? Or is it caused by something other than the rack ?
Thanks
Sounds like the dreaded steering rack. I had the same symptoms, steering rack and column was changed two weeks ago, knocking sound still persists but new rack has much better feel. The noise is more muted but no less annoying. I will do what it takes to get it fixed within the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
BMdriver
Bus Media, Xenons, Spt Auto, Sun Pro Black Panel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport Coupe (Pro pack)

I took mine to the dealer for the very same symptom of clunking only over certain lumps and bumps in the road. The technician came out with me in the car, but said it drove like any others M Sport, and he could not hear or distinguish the fault from normal suspension jolts in the car. At no point did he mention it could be steering related. He also did a visual check in the workshop.

I am now in a stale mate situation. I Will be returning to the dealer in a few weeks after my holidays to take the Service Manager out in the car with me. if I get no joy from him I will request that a BMW UK representative visits the dealership to drive and check my car over. There is definitely a fault, but convincing others seems a real chore.
Please keep us updated on how you get on with the steering rack. As much evidence as possible is very useful when returning to my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdriver View Post
I took mine to the dealer for the very same symptom of clunking only over certain lumps and bumps in the road. The technician came out with me in the car, but said it drove like any others M Sport, and he could not hear or distinguish the fault from normal suspension jolts in the car. At no point did he mention it could be steering related. He also did a visual check in the workshop.

I am now in a stale mate situation. I Will be returning to the dealer in a few weeks after my holidays to take the Service Manager out in the car with me. if I get no joy from him I will request that a BMW UK representative visits the dealership to drive and check my car over. There is definitely a fault, but convincing others seems a real chore.
Please keep us updated on how you get on with the steering rack. As much evidence as possible is very useful when returning to my dealer.
Hi BM,
Thanks for the reply.
I never said that my dealer was going to fit a new steering rack, I've no idea what they are going to do. That's what worries me.
I have read other posts that dealers have fitted new racks when the car has this clunking noise, but I've no idea whether it cures the problem !
I mentioned to the service receptionist when I booked the car in for the dealer to investigate the problem that I have read on the Internet that the steering rack could be the problem......she wasn't interested !
Who is your dealer on Merseyside ?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWCP View Post
Sounds like the dreaded steering rack. I had the same symptoms, steering rack and column was changed two weeks ago, knocking sound still persists but new rack has much better feel. The noise is more muted but no less annoying. I will do what it takes to get it fixed within the warranty period.
Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
Mine is also in next week for the same problem. I also get a creaking while turning the steering wheel, I don't know if they are connected.

I read somewhere the shock absorber mountings can cause a knocking but I can't remember if it is on the front or rear.
Thanks for the reply.
I'd be interested to know,what your dealer thinks is the answer to the clunk.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
BMdriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Please let me know what your dealers verdict is. I don't really want to name them until they have had another a fair crack at resolving the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Please let me know what your dealers verdict is. I don't really want to name them until they have had another a fair crack at resolving the problem.
I've got the car back.
All they did was stick some foam behind an air vent.
I complained about a clunk from the right hand side of the car when going over potholes/sunken manhole covers etc. A very mechanical noise !
The technician heard the clunk.
Obviously the clunk is exactly the same as when I took the car in.
A complete waste of time except for the fact that they had washed the car .
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Have you had your car fixed ?
If so what did they do ?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Have you had your car fixed ?
If so what did they do ?
Thanks
I have not got on very well. I collected my car this evening, they have had it since Monday. The workshop staff had all gone home when I got there so I have yet to find out what they have supposedly done. I must have got all of 1/4 mile away from the dealership and I find the knocking is still the same

On the bright side the creaking from the steering column has gone. And I do not have to drive the loan car any further. It must have been the slowest car I ever driven. In 580 miles I managed to overtake 2 things, one was a parked car and the other was pedestrian
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have not got on very well. I collected my car this evening, they have had it since Monday. The workshop staff had all gone home when I got there so I have yet to find out what they have supposedly done. I must have got all of 1/4 mile away from the dealership and I find the knocking is still the same

On the bright side the creaking from the steering column has gone. And I do not have to drive the loan car any further. It must have been the slowest car I ever driven. In 580 miles I managed to overtake 2 things, one was a parked car and the other was pedestrian
Thanks for the reply.
What are you going to do about the knocking ?
I'm not certain whether I should try a different dealer or persist with this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
What are you going to do about the knocking ?
I'm not certain whether I should try a different dealer or persist with this one.
This is the second time they have had it for this problem. I will wait for the call in the morning to see what they have done before I mention it is still the same. I am also considering trying a different dealer or maybe I will fire off an email to BMW customer services.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is the second time they have had it for this problem. I will wait for the call in the morning to see what they have done before I mention it is still the same. I am also considering trying a different dealer or maybe I will fire off an email to BMW customer services.
OK,
Please let me know what happens either way.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:08 AM   #15
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Same problem here, a pronounced (but intermittent) clunk from the drivers side front. What I have noticed is that it seems to happen more often when going over a bump with the steering turned to the left which does make me think it's steering related rather than just the suspension. Dealer hasn't been able to fix.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
BMdriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Since the last visit when they did nothing. I e mailed the service Manager to request that he personally speaks tho BMW Technical direct to see if the have any suggestions as to what this maybe.
I am still waiting his call back, however I am am on holiday at the moment and have not had my mobile on that much or checked my work e mails for a reply.
However I have had a call from somebody from BMW who was checking how my experience was with the dealership. I have asked them to call back in a few weeks once I am back in the country, and i have had a chance to assess the Service Managers attempts of finding a solution to my problem. If I am unimpressed I will obviously reflect this in my scores.

I will update you guys later next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Since the last visit when they did nothing. I e mailed the service Manager to request that he personally speaks tho BMW Technical direct to see if the have any suggestions as to what this maybe.
I am still waiting his call back, however I am am on holiday at the moment and have not had my mobile on that much or checked my work e mails for a reply.
However I have had a call from somebody from BMW who was checking how my experience was with the dealership. I have asked them to call back in a few weeks once I am back in the country, and i have had a chance to assess the Service Managers attempts of finding a solution to my problem. If I am unimpressed I will obviously reflect this in my scores.

I will update you guys later next week.
Thanks for that.
May I ask you, if you turn your steering wheel left and right with the engine off, do you get a clunk ?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Same problem here, a pronounced (but intermittent) clunk from the drivers side front. What I have noticed is that it seems to happen more often when going over a bump with the steering turned to the left which does make me think it's steering related rather than just the suspension. Dealer hasn't been able to fix.
Hi Rob,
Are you going back to the dealer ?
Does your steering clunk when you turn the steering wheel left and right with the engine off ?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Thanks for that.
May I ask you, if you turn your steering wheel left and right with the engine off, do you get a clunk ?
Sorry to butt in, but I took my car in a couple of weeks ago for just this issue. When I went to collect it I got the "they all do that, sir" response. After giving them a sarcastic reply, I asked them to show me several cars in the showroom and they all had the same clunk, including an F34 (3 GT).

So, I had to eat my words and now assume that they are right and that this clunk is normal with the electric steering. To be honest, I only have the noise with the engine off, but my assumption that this indicated a fault is apparently wrong, as they do indeed "all do that, sir".
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Rob, do you get this at low speeds - e.g. when driving in a car park and turning the wheel? Reason I ask is that when I took my car in a couple of weeks ago for them to look at the "clunk when you rock the steering wheel with the engine off", I had a chat with their techie guy about steering racks, and he said that as far as he knew the updated steering rack was to fix that particular issue (and not the clunk I have, which does appear to be normal).
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Rob, do you get this at low speeds - e.g. when driving in a car park and turning the wheel? Reason I ask is that when I took my car in a couple of weeks ago for them to look at the "clunk when you rock the steering wheel with the engine off", I had a chat with their techie guy about steering racks, and he said that as far as he knew the updated steering rack was to fix that particular issue (and not the clunk I have, which does appear to be normal).
Thanks for the reply.
I have also sat in another F30. & the steering clunked.
I didn't know whether this was normal or if it was another faulty car !
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep

Well I didn't get my call from the dealer today so I am yet to find out what they actually did to my car over the three days they had it.

And as for the knock when you rock the steering mine also does that and it does sound very similar to the sound I get going over bumps. I would think the knock is normal without power assistance on most cars as you are taking up the free play in the steering and working against the tyres.
Appreciate 0