F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Does 'Clunk'on driver's side of car = new steering rack.?
proTUNING Freaks

09-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #45
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

My 16k miles F30 with non adaptive suspension and servotronic steering has been at the dealers since Friday for this (third visit). I rang them yesterday for an update and was informed they are waiting for lots of parts to arrive including apparently suspension struts and dampers.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #46
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Sounds like "CLUNK CLICK" every trip, now where have I herd that one before.
Seriously I do hope you all get sorted.
      09-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #47
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
My 16k miles F30 with non adaptive suspension and servotronic steering has been at the dealers since Friday for this (third visit). I rang them yesterday for an update and was informed they are waiting for lots of parts to arrive including apparently suspension struts and dampers.
I hope they cure the problem.
Let us know how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #48
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
I hope they cure the problem.
Let us know how you get on.
I have contacted the dealer again today and apparently all these parts were not a fix (still not sure what they all were). They have now opened a Puma case with BMW and I believe they are now waiting for BMW to suggest what to do next.

The good news is they have booked the loan car (114i) to me until at least the middle of next week, yippee

I have also noticed today the loan car has a knock as well but nowhere near as bad as my F30.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #49
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
What the hell is wrong with new BMWs? Why does such an obvious fault exist?

I have owned 8 of their cars in the last 16 years and not once did any of these cars have a knocking suspension. They have been stiff - yes - but knocking - no.

I got a call from my dealer yesterday to say that they have now replaced the front top mounts on my car to see if it will help. Its not a fix just a stab in the dark I reckon.

I await their call today to hear the results.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #50
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post

I have owned 8 of their cars in the last 16 years and not once did any of these cars have a knocking suspension. They have been stiff - yes - but knocking - no.

I got a call from my dealer yesterday to say that they have now replaced the front top mounts on my car to see if it will help. Its not a fix just a stab in the dark I reckon.

POOR QUALITY CONTROL.
Unfortunately BMW are getting "Sloppy" my last 3 new BMW's have all had problems from day ONE.

Paint finish being the "recurring one" on ALL.
Even this Trouble free (so far) M5 I can find Paint defects , it really pisses me off.
AUDI Paint is MIles in front of these BMW cars, I never ever found a paint fault on any of my 4 New AUDI's.

As for "PUMA cases" just a F**king joke they never do jack shite, just fob you off.
      09-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #51
BMdriver
Bus Media, Xenons, Spt Auto, Sun Pro Black Panel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport Coupe (Pro pack)

Quote:

My 320 D is going in to my dealers on Wednesday for the top mounts to be changed. the tech reckoned he had a similar problem on another vehicle, and this cured it.

Fingers crossed, but I am not too hopeful, but I have no alternative to let them try, and then take it from there if it does not fix the clunk
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #52
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post

As for "PUMA cases" just a F**king joke they never do jack shite, just fob you off.
This is a real pet hate of mine. Having working in service related functions for much of my career (albeit on high cost equipment >£100k), it never ceases to amaze me how internally focused guys in the factory and HQ can be.

I say, put these 'PUMA' guys in the dealership for a week so they have to deal with customers face to face. Maybe they'll change their ways after experiencing the dissatisfaction first hand.

...and poor paintwork - not excuse!!
      09-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #53
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Dealer has been unable to do anything about the 'clonk' but it's getting so bad now that I'm wondering if something's about to break! Going away for a couple of weeks but as soon as I'm back it's going back in.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #54
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep

Update:

I have had a call today from the dealer and apparently the clunk is cured. The fix according to them is uprated front suspension top mounts. I have yet to verify this though as the car is still at the dealers.

They have had it for 12 days now not just for the steering/suspension noise though. Hopefully I will get it back tomorrow or Friday and I will let you know how it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #55
BMdriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Update:

I have had a call today from the dealer and apparently the clunk is cured. The fix according to them is uprated front suspension top mounts. I have yet to verify this though as the car is still at the dealers.

They have had it for 12 days now not just for the steering/suspension noise though. Hopefully I will get it back tomorrow or Friday and I will let you know how it is.
I have just had the top mounts changed in an attempt to cure this problem. However the clunk/thud is still there. Back to the dealers, and to the drawing board I think.

MR NSB, how is your car after having your top mounts changed?

Has anyone else had their clunk cured, if so what was changed please?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #56
BMdriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Can anyone offer their solution to this problem please? Or any suggestions as to what it could be.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #57
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdriver View Post
I have just had the top mounts changed in an attempt to cure this problem. However the clunk/thud is still there. Back to the dealers, and to the drawing board I think.

MR NSB, how is your car after having your top mounts changed?

Has anyone else had their clunk cured, if so what was changed please?
I have still not seen my car yet as it's still at the dealers. They are trying to cure another problem I have with radio interference.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #58
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can anyone offer their solution to this problem please? Or any suggestions as to what it could be.
When I have the mental energy to return again to the dealer, I will inform them that the knocking noise has returned not long after having a new steering rack fitted.
We will see what BMW suggests, maybe another steering rack.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #59
Poohbore
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F31 xDrive

Is it similar to the thread on the main page? A guy there has a noise cured and it was the steering column I think

Edit - this thread http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801969
      10-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #60
BMdriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post

When I have the mental energy to return again to the dealer, I will inform them that the knocking noise has returned not long after having a new steering rack fitted.
We will see what BMW suggests, maybe another steering rack.
Thanks for the update. I have referred this problem back to the dealer, and I am currently waiting for the tech who replaced the top mounts to come back to me with the next steps.

I will let you know what his suggestions are.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #61
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep

I collected my car on Monday and they have replaced the front dampers and top mounts.

After about 30 miles I heard the clunk again. It wasn't so frequent so I was hoping it might settle down but alas after another 400 miles it is as bad as before
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #62
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I have been saying for a while now that BMW "quality Control" is going down hill fast.
Problems are arising in ALL models now on new delivered cars.
I have found Paint defects on this M5 now, I am going to leave it as it's not noticeable in general but ..........................................

Hate to say this BUT AUDI Paintwork is way better by far.
      10-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #63
BMdriver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I collected my car on Monday and they have replaced the front dampers and top mounts.

After about 30 miles I heard the clunk again. It wasn't so frequent so I was hoping it might settle down but alas after another 400 miles it is as bad as before
Mine is as bad as before too - after the top mounts only were changed. I have been back to the dealer who do not know what to suggest as a fix. In fairness to them they have referred this back to BMW for advise or a solution so I am waiting for their response.
My dealer have been very helpful in trying to rectify the clunk so far.

I will let you know when they get back to me with a solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #64
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mine is as bad as before too - after the top mounts only were changed. I have been back to the dealer who do not know what to suggest as a fix. In fairness to them they have referred this back to BMW for advise or a solution so I am waiting for their response.
My dealer have been very helpful in trying to rectify the clunk so far.

I will let you know when they get back to me with a solution.
I am pleased to say my dealer has been trying hard now. I have spoken with them today and they are keen to get the car back in. After having to endure a 114 for over three weeks I am not keen to let them have my car again so soon.

I have suggested I will live with the problem for now with the hope it will get worse and they will find it easier to find the problem and therefore a solution. I'm also hoping with a bit of time BMW technical may come up with a solution.

I will update if or when I get any further.

Isow, how are you getting on with yours?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #65
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am pleased to say my dealer has been trying hard now. I have spoken with them today and they are keen to get the car back in. After having to endure a 114 for over three weeks I am not keen to let them have my car again so soon.

I have suggested I will live with the problem for now with the hope it will get worse and they will find it easier to find the problem and therefore a solution. I'm also hoping with a bit of time BMW technical may come up with a solution.

I will update if or when I get any further.

Isow, how are you getting on with yours?
New steering rack also developed a clunk.
Not as metallic as before, but still a clunk.
I'm also waiting for the clunk to get worse before I return to the dealer.
I have to say that the new rack feels very positive.
16 months left until the warranty runs out, so I have plenty of time.
I've been busy, looking at winter tyres or wheel/ winter tyre combinations the last week or so.
Keep in touch.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #66
redeu3
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Guys,

anyone have the problem with H & R Springs installed? I'm just thinking whether I should change back the original springs before taking the car back to the dealer. Mine has only done about 4000km, the noise appeared just under 3000km, I had the springs changed around 2500km.
Appreciate 1
Aldor2784.00