F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Does 'Clunk'on driver's side of car = new steering rack.?
Studio RSR

11-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #89
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Well, amazingly in the midst of writing to BMW UK I've had a call from my dealer saying that BMW have come back to them and agreed to replace the gearbox in my car! Maybe my dissatisfaction that I asked the dealer to relay to BMW had an effect? As the service rep just said to me on the phone, they must think there is a genuine problem as a new gearbox is around £5k and they don't change them lightly. Dealer will contact me with a date once they've got new gearbox in, and we shall see if it actually fixes the problem or whether I just get a new gearbox out of it.
Great result Tony, thats the service we expect.
      11-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #90
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Great result Tony, thats the service we expect.
I usually find that making a firm but polite complaint and letting them know that you're not prepared to let it rest there works to your advantage

It does make me wonder if BMW read these forums as well - we'll never know of course but keeping an eye on the major forums relating to your products is probably quite a good move.

My dealer has been very good throughout this and called me twice yesterday to keep me updated. New gearbox has to be shipped from Germany and should be here in 5 to 7 days. I wonder if BMW have changed something in the gearbox to fix this problem, or if some of them are just not quite built to spec? Realoem shows the part number is still the same but I guess something internally could have been updated (mine is Aug 2012 build).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #91
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
I usually find that making a firm but polite complaint and letting them know that you're not prepared to let it rest there works to your advantage

It does make me wonder if BMW read these forums as well - we'll never know of course but keeping an eye on the major forums relating to your products is probably quite a good move.

My dealer has been very good throughout this and called me twice yesterday to keep me updated. New gearbox has to be shipped from Germany and should be here in 5 to 7 days. I wonder if BMW have changed something in the gearbox to fix this problem, or if some of them are just not quite built to spec? Realoem shows the part number is still the same but I guess something internally could have been updated (mine is Aug 2012 build).
From memory mine (F31 M Sport) arrived November 2012 so built close to yours, never had a problem with rattles or clunks anywhere on it.
Could be a duff box, some of these parts do get through with defects.
My X3 35D m Sport steering rack failed on my way home from the pick-up , I was F ING mad and it took nearly a month to sort out, got compensation from BMW UK after a row , we could have been killed on the motorway, the steering "Locked up on my drive" as i stopped
Anyway they paid up and sorted it, so it worked out.
      11-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #92
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I have never read a complete thread until now.

Goodness me, this is a worrying and depressing thread. I really feel for you guys. I think it is piss poor that these cars are so troublesome. I am now going to listen very carefully for clunking sounds from my car. So far I think mine is behaving itself.

However, I have a feeling in my waters that I may end up with similar problems in the future. So far, I'm keeping everything crossed and double crossed.
      11-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #93
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

My BMW dealer have contacted me & they would like the car in for a few days, so that their technical department can look at the clunk again.
Car booked in, in two weeks time, when a loaner will be available.
Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #94
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Today, I went over some terrifically bad roads with humps, bumps and potholes. No noise at all. Car sailed across these in 'comfort' mode. I love M Sport Adaptive Suspenders!
      11-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #95
carlivory
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

i recently had my f30 in for its first service and i also mentioned the clunk out of the driver side. They came back to me and said the collapsable steering column is makin the noise and there has to be a mod done to them and coming in from germany in two weeks. so ill let you know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #96
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlivory View Post
i recently had my f30 in for its first service and i also mentioned the clunk out of the driver side. They came back to me and said the collapsable steering column is makin the noise and there has to be a mod done to them and coming in from germany in two weeks. so ill let you know what happens.
Thanks for this.
I think I have the latest steering shaft, fitted 2 weeks ago.
The clunk became worse !
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #97
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Dealer phoned me to say that car is ready.
They have fitted a new shock absorber on driver's side after liaising with BMW.
I have only driven the car from the dealer to home on the motorway in the rush hour, so I have no idea whether it is fixed or not.
I will keep you informed.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #98
BMdriver
Bus Media, Xenons, Spt Auto, Sun Pro Black Panel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420i M Sport Coupe (Pro pack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
I have only driven the car from the dealer to home on the motorway in the rush hour, so I have no idea whether it is fixed or not.
Isow,

Good luck with this fix,I look forward to your report back on the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #99
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep
Drives: 420d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
I had my front shock absorbers and shock top mounts replaced and it wasn't a cure for mine, I hope it is for yours.

My noise has not got any worse as in louder but it has become much more frequent, I hear it at least 30 times a day

Mine is back at the dealers on Monday for another software update the 4th in 6 months I am hoping they will also have an update from BMW on this clunking.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #100
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
I had my front shock absorbers and shock top mounts replaced and it wasn't a cure for mine, I hope it is for yours.

My noise has not got any worse as in louder but it has become much more frequent, I hear it at least 30 times a day

Mine is back at the dealers on Monday for another software update the 4th in 6 months I am hoping they will also have an update from BMW on this clunking.
Mine still clunks !
It's such a prominent clunk but infrequent, depending on road surface.
I'm still surprised that they haven't found the underlying problem.
I am away for nearly a month, so I will pursue it in the new year.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #101
redeu3
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Welcome to Malaysia's way redirecting responsibilities.

I just took the car in to FM Autohaus in KK here last week, what they said to me was they cannot fix the issue, there is no parts available yet from bmw Germany, it is a worldwide problem, so nothing they can do till bmw comes our with a solution, and that was it. Is this answer acceptable to you all? To me basically they are saying, 'I will just push this to bmw, I won't even want to try to fix it.'

This was the 2nd time I had it looked at, cause the first time they said it was my h & r springs that caused the noise and asked me to change back to original springs, I knew they have mis-diagnose the issue. Just to prove to them it isn't the springs, I changed it back to original, of cause they didn't reimburse me for the cost in changing back, they even charged me labour for first inspection. Asking refund on anything is just near impossible.

I really don't know why I bought this car from them.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #102
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Somehow I missed this thread back when it started, I've had this same clunking problem since my car was re-delivered in the US after my Euro delivery trip in Sept 2012. At first I thought it was suspension-related, but eventually figured out it was steering-related. I've mentioned it to my SA every time the car has been in, sometimes they "couldn't replicate it" other times they inspected everything and re-torqued all suspension components and inspected steering components but nothing ever solved the problem. They finally ordered the new steering rack in an attempt to fix it, which took months to show up from Germany...at first the sound appeared to be fixed by the new rack, but returned within days and is now even worse in addition to a new squeaking sound when I turn the wheel. The clunk over bumps is a bit worse, and I can re-create it VERY loudly when moving the wheel at a standstill with the engine on or off. I raised this issue and another recurring issue with the M Performance brakes to BMW North America's resolutions department, as the number of visits for the same issue and the cumulative time with the car in the shop qualifies for buyback under the state lemon law. I just took it back in today for a "re-assessment" of the problem..whatever that means. So frustrating to put $60K+ into a car and have to deal with these issues. They didn't have an update for me today...hopefully they have more info for me tomorrow. Anyone else on this thread have a fully resolved steering clunk? I refuse to accept that it's "normal" or "they all do it."
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:07 AM   #103
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Somehow I missed this thread back when it started, I've had this same clunking problem since my car was re-delivered in the US after my Euro delivery trip in Sept 2012. At first I thought it was suspension-related, but eventually figured out it was steering-related. I've mentioned it to my SA every time the car has been in, sometimes they "couldn't replicate it" other times they inspected everything and re-torqued all suspension components and inspected steering components but nothing ever solved the problem. They finally ordered the new steering rack in an attempt to fix it, which took months to show up from Germany...at first the sound appeared to be fixed by the new rack, but returned within days and is now even worse in addition to a new squeaking sound when I turn the wheel. The clunk over bumps is a bit worse, and I can re-create it VERY loudly when moving the wheel at a standstill with the engine on or off. I raised this issue and another recurring issue with the M Performance brakes to BMW North America's resolutions department, as the number of visits for the same issue and the cumulative time with the car in the shop qualifies for buyback under the state lemon law. I just took it back in today for a "re-assessment" of the problem..whatever that means. So frustrating to put $60K+ into a car and have to deal with these issues. They didn't have an update for me today...hopefully they have more info for me tomorrow. Anyone else on this thread have a fully resolved steering clunk? I refuse to accept that it's "normal" or "they all do it."
I've had a new steering rack, steering shaft and a shock absorber on driver's side.
Clunk still present.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #104
Hughes67
Rep
Drives: 320i sport

New to forum car has been in today for clunking too steering,my wife picked car back up was told that this noise was design related.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #105
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes67 View Post
New to forum car has been in today for clunking too steering,my wife picked car back up was told that this noise was design related.
Are you happy with that response to your complaint ?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #106
Hughes67
Rep
Drives: 320i sport

No returning with car tomorrow to meet service manager,but after reading other posts not expecting much.Spoke with service manager tonight he told me he had spoken to service foreman and as already posted by others he told him they all do that.Told him I was not happy and was there a fault with steering racks as there seems to be a lot of complaints on various forums.Do you know if there is a fix to this clunking??.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #107
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes67 View Post
No returning with car tomorrow to meet service manager,but after reading other posts not expecting much.Spoke with service manager tonight he told me he had spoken to service foreman and as already posted by others he told him they all do that.Told him I was not happy and was there a fault with steering racks as there seems to be a lot of complaints on various forums.Do you know if there is a fix to this clunking??.
How old is your car ?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #108
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep

I have been on to BMW UK again today regarding mine. I am now at 35k and it has got steadily worse.

BMW are contacting the dealer on my behalf and I am currently waiting for them to return my call. I went through this last week and BMW assured me the dealer would call within 48 hours, they didn't

I can replicate the noise from rocking the steering when stationery. Depending on the position of the wheels I can hear the knock with power assistance (it doesn't do it if the wheels are in the straight ahead position). If I rock the steering with the engine off it will make a racket in any position. Previously they were looking at a suspension issue as I have had new struts and top suspension mounts fitted to the car which changed nothing.

I get this knock/clunk on every journey I do in the car. On a recent journey from Yorkshire to home (203 miles) I heard it 63 times. It is normal for me to count 30 - 50 clunks per day
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #109
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr NSB View Post
I have been on to BMW UK again today regarding mine. I am now at 35k and it has got steadily worse.

BMW are contacting the dealer on my behalf and I am currently waiting for them to return my call. I went through this last week and BMW assured me the dealer would call within 48 hours, they didn't

I can replicate the noise from rocking the steering when stationery. Depending on the position of the wheels I can hear the knock with power assistance (it doesn't do it if the wheels are in the straight ahead position). If I rock the steering with the engine off it will make a racket in any position. Previously they were looking at a suspension issue as I have had new struts and top suspension mounts fitted to the car which changed nothing.

I get this knock/clunk on every journey I do in the car. On a recent journey from Yorkshire to home (203 miles) I heard it 63 times. It is normal for me to count 30 - 50 clunks per day
Just be aware that the knocking sound when you turn the wheel with the engine off is normal. I took mine in a while ago for this and they showed me that they all did it by letting me try a number of cars. However, I have no noise when the engine is running - that is definitely not right.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #110
Mr NSB
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just be aware that the knocking sound when you turn the wheel with the engine off is normal. I took mine in a while ago for this and they showed me that they all did it by letting me try a number of cars. However, I have no noise when the engine is running - that is definitely not right.
This noise is not the normal mechanical noise you would expect it has got and is far worse.
Appreciate 0