F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > USB Drive - Setup with Album art and Playlists
Studio RSR

06-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #89
KevinLevin
General Motors
Rep
Drives: 430d M Sport + EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLevin View Post
I don't use playlists Terry, so haven't experienced the issues your finding.
Do you manually choose the Next icon after playing each track?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Nope, it just moves to the next track. Not sure what happens at the end of the album as I rarely get that far before changing

Previous - S5 Cabriolet - 442hp
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #90
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

There's an easy solution to this. If you have iTunes just use DoubleTwist to sync to a USB drive. Saves converting your songs to MP3 or out. Used it today and it works fine all playlists work. Can't vouch for Album Artwork as have the billy basic system.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #91
DougS
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d MSport

An easier way....

Hi, that all seems great but as someone in the audio industry, way too complex.

I have a crazy amount of music on Cd and use Easy CD Creator (£25) to convert to FLAC for when listening around the house and then convert all to MP3 at best possible 320kbps.
I then buy plenty of 16gb usb sticks and load up the ' music collection' of the car and then keep others in the central compartment. I found that you typically get around 70 albums on one usb and they don't over heat, totally portable and readily changeable.
I also copy MP3 albums to blank dvd-r which also hold around 30 albums.

I have a 330d with pro nav and by doing it like this, I get all album cover artwork, all tracks in correct order (unlike my friends Audi) The idea of an in car hard drive is appealing but I'd be aware of it being always powered and risk of it crashing.

Not bothered about playlists as I tend to listen to albums and this works brilliantly for me.

the only thing that bugs me about my 15 plate car is the awful DAB which is pointless.....no signal then 10 minutes then no signal! Total waste and I just don't bother with it now.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #92
RacingSnake
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335xd M Sport

Hi everyone, first time poster here. Thought I would post my experiences on this subject. Many thanks to all the previous posters, especially NotBob for the very detailed OP.

I suffered many of the same problems described by others, principally the inability of iDrive to search by Artist, Album, Genre etc. Only Folder Search was available.

I then followed NotBob's instructions to the letter, with the only exception that I didn't bother ensuring all the album artwork was present. I used one of the tiny Sandisk 64GB USB 'Cruzer Fit' sticks like this (£15 from Amazon):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruzer-Fit-F...ndisk+64GB+usb

Tip for Mac users: Mp3tag is a Windows only program, however you can run it on a Mac using software called CrossOver, which allows you to run Windows programs on OS X without the need for a virtual Windows machine. Fully functional free trial download available:

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/

In Mp3tag, there is initially quite a bewildering amount of info on display. However to simplify things, you can set the visible columns to show only those that are relevant to iDrive, i.e. Artist, Title, Album, Genre and Composer. You then 'sort by' each of the 5 columns and make sure there are no missing fields (the empty fields appear at the top of the list when you click on each column heading).

I have quite a lot of tracks with missing metadata that have been in my iTunes library for years from when I used to download songs for free from P2P sites. If you have a lot of tracks with missing data, you can save time by selecting a block of tracks and updating the missing fields en masse with the same entry - e.g. if there are a lot of tracks with no composer, you can simply enter "Unknown Composer" for all of them. I had >1000 tracks with no composer information.

Using this approach, my USB drive now works perfectly, including playlists. On the first time of use, the search options did not appear straight away (only Folder Search, as before - cue further temporary disappointment), however within 3-4 minutes all the data appeared, including the playlists, presumably after iDrive indexing. This was for a music collection of approx 7,000 tracks (40GB).

I appreciate this all seems rather laborious and long-winded to some.... but as others have already pointed out, this solution is £225 cheaper than a 64GB iPod Touch!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #93
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Thanks for taking the time to put this tutorial together. I recently started using a 128gb thumb drive (usb 3.0 compatible) on my 2012 no nav f30.

Playback works great, but searching within the tags takes a while for the fields to populate. Wondering if that's normal and if I should expect faster responsiveness on the 340 with nav that is en route.

Also, only one of two playlists shows up and only one song on that playlist...anyone else encounter something similar?

Lastly, I'm guessing there is no way to sort band names ignoring the "the" in their name (i.e. sorting The Beatles as a "B" instead of a "T") short of eliminating the "The" in the artist name?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #94
grumpydoggy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport Gran Coupe

So here's my experience, which I think will relate: I've only this week moved from a 2012 E92 coupe to the 2015 F36 gran coupe (pro nav, HK sound).

Previously I'd been using a Kingston 256Gb thumb drive with no problems (about 23k+ tracks, so I'm definitely at the extreme end) with no problems. Browsing by metadata was too slow to be practical, but I organised my folders by alphabet letter/artist/album and it's quite navigable.

Moving to the F36 the tracks don't take that long to index metadata and the search is much faster, but... here's my bad news... there seems to be a bug. All the folders show up initially, but after a few seconds the system seems to lose sight of loads of them. Folders about halfway through "p" disappear, for a total of just about 15k tracks that I can browse in the car.

I've tried reformatting, removing hidden system index files that windows puts there, but the results are the same. Really frustrating. Didn't want to have to start removing less-loved albums and things - nice just having everything there.

Hopefully this is something the manufacturer will update via firmware at some point.

Anyone had this or even better found a workaround?

Last edited by grumpydoggy; 10-01-2015 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #95
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Thanks for taking the time to write the comprehensive guide .

I have been successfully using a USB memory stick to play music since I got my car last summer. I copied the music simply by selecting and dragging the songs I wanted directly from iTunes on my Mac to the USB window on the screen. I have access to all relevant data in iDrive such as Song title, Artist, Album, Composer and Artwork and access to music is almost instantaneous. I was also able to successfully import all the music with data from the USB stick onto the vehicles hard drive. It has worked flawlessly .

Except for one thing: I cannot get playlists to work from either the USB stick or the hard drive. I created playlists as per instructions in the OP, but they just don't show up in iDrive.

Am I missing something ?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #96
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

You need to take a look at this thread - in particular the bit where I run thorugh using DoubleTwist - this will give you playlists and Album Artwork from iTunes without having to drop and drag etc. I suggest you start with a blank memory stick though. Also if have a lot of files your car will take 10 -15 minutes to index them at first.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1171386
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #97
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
You need to take a look at this thread - in particular the bit where I run thorugh using DoubleTwist - this will give you playlists and Album Artwork from iTunes without having to drop and drag etc. I suggest you start with a blank memory stick though. Also if have a lot of files your car will take 10 -15 minutes to index them at first.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1171386
Thanks, but I found an alternative.

Since all my songs are not filed under /artist/album directories (all files are stored directly on the USB stick main directory) and since I was leaving the directory path in the playlist, iDrive could not find the songs and therefore did not display the playlist. I kinda feel stupid I did not think of this before .

I edited the playlist file to remove the directory path and leave only the song file name. A bit tedious, but it works perfectly now.

The car only takes a few seconds to index all the songs, which is great. Further, the playlists also work when uploading everything into the car's hard drive. .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-13-2015 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #98
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairk View Post
Thanks for taking the time to put this tutorial together. I recently started using a 128gb thumb drive (usb 3.0 compatible) on my 2012 no nav f30.

Playback works great, but searching within the tags takes a while for the fields to populate. Wondering if that's normal and if I should expect faster responsiveness on the 340 with nav that is en route.

Also, only one of two playlists shows up and only one song on that playlist...anyone else encounter something similar?

Lastly, I'm guessing there is no way to sort band names ignoring the "the" in their name (i.e. sorting The Beatles as a "B" instead of a "T") short of eliminating the "The" in the artist name?

So, just wanted to update on my experience. The USB drive was really unreliable on my 2012 no nav F30 with enhanced USB. The drive would randomly initiate and then take forever to index. Playback would work fine once indexed, but it was a crapshoot as to what songs would actually register.

Just picked up my 340i with nav and enhanced usb, and the drive works flawlessly. Oddly, had to update some tag information that came across just fine on the old car (when it worked) but once i did that, it's been perfect (a few songs don't have their album art, like 9/14000), but I'm sure it'll show up if I edit them over again. Also, playlists work now too when they didn't work at all on the old car.

So a very delayed thanks Mynamesnotbob for the detailed tutorial! So much cheaper than an ipod touch and without the concern of leaving it in the hot car!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #99
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

I have a 2016 F26. Has anyone gotten album art to work on FLAC files on recent model iDrives?

It seems to pick up all the other tag info but not the artwork. It even plays gaplessly into the next track which was pleasantly surprising. I tried embedding jpgs of different resolutions using mp3tag, but no dice.

Art works fine form my usb iPhone, and I've seen artwork in MP3 burned onto a CD.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:23 AM   #100
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

Do USB drives only work in the centre arm rest? I expect to need that to charge my iPhone or use iPhone apps when I get my new car (Spotify etc). If so, is he best alternative to copy songs onto the internal HDD (pronav) following the same instructions as in this thread?

Is that also easy to update - I.e. Can I add new songs via USB when I buy a new CD without having to copy everything over again.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:59 AM   #101
ac16161
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrobx View Post
I have a 2016 F26. Has anyone gotten album art to work on FLAC files on recent model iDrives?

It seems to pick up all the other tag info but not the artwork. It even plays gaplessly into the next track which was pleasantly surprising. I tried embedding jpgs of different resolutions using mp3tag, but no dice.

Art works fine form my usb iPhone, and I've seen artwork in MP3 burned onto a CD.
You can get album art to work if it's contained in a separate file, e.g. Folder.jpg. I have not been able to get embedded art to work with FLAC but it does with WMA. Another thing to look out for is resolution of the jpg. On my pro-nav system I found anything over 1000x1000 will not display, I guess the re-scaling does not work at high resolution on my 64-plate car. With many downloads featuring very hi-res art these days I either use one of the dBpoweramp utility functions to re-scale the art as it creates the car version of the file, or I just don't bother as life is short. However, very neat that FLAC is supported, and with large-capacity USB sticks being very cheap I just tend to dump my FLAC downloads straight on to the drive. MP3Tag may also offer art-extraction/re-scaling, I've only recently started to work with that (for bulk tag editing it's very good).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #102
Stan Dee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Sorry if this has already been answered (haven't read whole thread), but does a USB / flash drive / hard drive draw any power if left plugged in whilst ignition off? Any chance of a flat battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #103
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I just copied the albums I wanted to USB and then saved those to the cars HD ...however this assume you have Medi Pro. Top post OP very very informative!
      01-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #104
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Want to share my experience in case it helps others.

This is an absolutely brilliant post, followed all the instructions and had over 17,000 tracks smiling down my in-car system working flawlessly for months. EXCELLENT.

So today I decided to add another 50GB of tracks. Now over 650GB and 21,000 tracks.

I plugged the HD back in and the car wouldn't read the damned thing....WTF

So I wondered if my iMac had somehow 'imprinted' a false file structure onto the HD whilst adding all this extra data (a newer iMac than the original one used to transfer all the previous music).

So I got a USB stick, formatted it for FAT and loaded music - car wouldn't read.
So I reformatted it for OSX...and BINGO - worked fine.

THEN.....

AND THIS IS CRAZY...

I unplugged the USB and plugged in the HD...worked fine....WHY?
Did the USB somehow "prime" the car to read the HD...no idea....

So all I would say to those guys who are getting stuck, try swapping a USB (with just a few GB music) with the HD...who knows, it might resolve any issues...

Or it could be just damp air....!!!!

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 08:57 PM   #105
Me
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i

I recently bought a 2016 BMW 435i and saw this thread about using USB's in the car. Since I am one of those that RTFM's and likes to know all the details and since the manual has almost no info for the USB I decided to do some investigations.

First off some background. I am a retired developer tools software developer. I use Mac OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard on a 2010 3.33 GHz 6-core Mac Pro to build the USBs. I do not have a lot of music files but being retired, probably with too much free time on my hands, I decided to write a small program [1] to allow me to experiment with the USB music organization and playlists and have some fun with it.

I organized the music directory as mention in the first post, i.e., Music/Artist/Album/Files. My sample set consisted of only about 860 songs to make it a suitable test case for debugging and not having to wait very long for the car to load the info.

I created the playlist entries with pathnames all relative to the music directory. This allowed the program to easily move them around and test various placement organizations. I tried 3 playlist organizations; inside each album, or a playlist directory within each artist, or a single playlist directory within the music directory. The iDrive didn't care where the playlists we located. Given my relatively small sample set compared to some of the ones described in this thread I saw no benefit of one placement over the other. The iDrive found them no matter where they where.

Once the basic program worked I wanted to see how far I could push both my program and the car with respect to character sets. This is where the "fun" began.

For these test cases I downloaded a bunch of Japanese albums.[2] These albums used the Japanese Katakana character set encoded with UTF-8 3-byte Unicode characters. First thing I found out is that my program didn't handle UTF-8. It just generated garbage for the pathnames and the titles. Once I figured that it was the car's turn.

It turns out the iDrive can handle 3-byte Unicode characters pretty well. Tag information displayed correctly and music search/browse directory seemed to show the filenames all in Japanese. Playlists are another story.

One of the albums had 35 songs. Only 7 showed up in the playlist display. Music search/browse directory however showed all 35 songs. As it turns out there are some UTF-8 characters in pathnames that playlist processing will not handle. The file system handles them (obviously on my Mac but also the iDrive browse directory). Just not playlist handling.

In investigating this problem I simplified the problem to a single song in a single album. The test filename was "ラズベリーモンスター". The title from the tag was "ラズベリーモンスター". They may look the same but on the disk they are not (that probably won't make it through in this post). Specifically the filename has a couple of non-printable (non-spacing) characters.[3] So the bottom line is there could potentially be characters in a pathname that the iDrive doesn't like and quietly drops those entries on the floor.

I'm guessing that the filename is more "exposed" than the tag information and possibly could be changed by some user who processes/creates or distributes the album. The tag info is encoded in the file and maybe less subject to change. On that reasoning I fixed my program to (under option of course) to use the tag titles for the filenames instead of the original filenames. That seemed to fix the problem. No more missing playlist entries.

There's another "quirk" using these wide (3-byte) characters too. My car has a "mode" button on the steering wheel. Pressing it toggles between the last two "modes" used, for example radio and USB. When you push it a small display appears on the dash showing, in this example, the current radio station and the next favorite station, or for the USB the current song and the next one to play. For the case using the wide characters all that shows for the titles are question marks! It's not too important since the display disappears so fast you don't get much time to read it anyway. It just seems odd that the software for the dash is, apparently specifically configured for where the car is to be sold (mine is North America) but the iDrive display software is not. I would think it would have been a simple matter just to leave the fonts loaded for the dash. I assume they exist. What does the dash show if a BMW is sold, in these examples, in Japan? Maybe it's only a coding issue.

Anyway, I thought I would post my experiences with USBs.

But wait, there's more...

Audiobooks. What is an audio book to the iDrive? How does iDrive know to class these as "Additional Media"?

I happened to have an old folder of the original BBC radio series "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (12 mp3 files). I added some album art to it using mp3tag. [4] I stuck that on the USB to see how iDrive would handle it. No matter where I put it the HHGG folder was always classed as "Additional Media" (Audiobooks). That's great. It's classed as I think it should be and even showed the album art. But why?

I cannot determine what makes that "audiobook" an audiobook for classification as "Additional Media". I've looked at the HHGG tag info. There's nothing different from any other music mp3 except that all the music seems use mpeg1 while HHGG uses mpeg2 and has a 56kb/s bit rate. The extended tag info shows nothing unique either. I cannot believe those encoding difference are what iDrive is looking at. I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me.

As another test I tried downloading a TED talk (mp3). It was not classed as "Additional Media", just grouped with all the other music. FWIW I gave it some album art and changed the filename extension to m3b which I believe an extension identifying it as an audiobook (is that Mac only and something from a later version of iTunes I don't have?). Sure enough the iDrive classed it as "Additional Media". It didn't show the art of course. How could it since I assume the tag format for m4b is not the same as mp3 and unilaterally changing the extension is not going to magically change the tag format?

So what makes an audiobook an audiobook is my one remaining question on all this USB stuff.

-------
[1] The program is actually a command line bash shell script to generate the playlists under various options. It calls a Perl script that does the extracting of the tag information.

[2] This is off topic but for reference the albums were from the "famous" Japanese vocaloid singer Hatsune Miku. Here's an example of her singing at the (end) of one of her concerts and here's a short video of what "vocaloid" is. There's a bunch interesting technologies going on here but as I said it's off topic.

[3] The 3-byte UTF-8 character in this case was 0xe38299. FWIW here's it's definition.

[4] Even though Mp3tag is a Windows app there's a version of Mp3tag for the Mac (link) which can run under Wine so you don't need to run Windows on your Mac.

Last edited by Me; 02-01-2016 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 02:58 AM   #106
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSnake View Post
Tip for Mac users: Mp3tag is a Windows only program, however you can run it on a Mac using software called CrossOver, which allows you to run Windows programs on OS X without the need for a virtual Windows machine. Fully functional free trial download available:
I used to use Tag&Rename when I was a Windows user, but on a Mac I use an OS X app called Yate which is very similar feature-wise, including being able to look-up tags/artwork for you.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:51 AM   #107
Me
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSnake View Post
Tip for Mac users: Mp3tag is a Windows only program, however you can run it on a Mac using software called CrossOver...
See my footnote [4] in my previous post above. There's no need to use CrossOver for Mp3Tag. Wine comes already packaged with the Mac version of MP3Tag so all you need to do is launch Mp3Tag just like any other Mac app.

Last edited by Me; 02-01-2016 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #108
Andrewhutch1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320d

Great guide NotBob - Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #109
ice_nyne
Perpetual Kickdown Mode
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 N51 M Sport

Hey everyone - wandered in here from the E90post boards. I have been setting up my usb stick to play in my '11 E90 with CCC iDrive, and hit a few obstacles.

Using Mp3tag I have been able to clean up a lot of my faulty tags and other (until now) invisible metadata attributes that were keeping my files from appearing in the proper artist/album folder. The biggest issue I regularly encounter is around missing art. When I check the files in MP3tag, there is a "1" in the album art column to denote there is in fact art, but it is not being recognized by iDrive. It's impacted about 20-25% of my cover art.

Has anyone experienced this issue? More importantly, is there a fix?
      10-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #110
gelat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

So, I just upgraded from a 2014 BMW 328Xi to a 2016 328i, and now, my WD 1TB passport hardrive stops reading songs at 15996

I literally just unplugged it from my 2014, which read 33,000 songs, with all MP3 tag info and all album art, and now the newer model car doesn't work?
Appreciate 0