F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > AC Schnitzer Springs - Forum discount
GetBMWParts

05-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #89
gadget32
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannywooly77 View Post
I've actually decided for now not to replace my springs, my reasons:

Generally i ride around in comfort mode probably 80% of the time, this is indeed a little bouncy, but actually on our roads quite pleasant for long journeys. As i am in comfort for quite a bit of the time when i switch to sport (just chassis only) i can actually feel quite a bit of difference, and then into sport+ (5% of the time) I really really notice it.

I took the opinion that having all the options available to me makes it more of a jekyll and hyde, and i think if i were to have the springs fitted it would be more of a hyde and hulk.

Of course i may change my mind in the future and just the fact that there is a very affordable option makes me feel better, so will see how it goes.

The ride height doesn't bother me at all to be honest i quite like its stance, maybe im a little crazy but just my view.

Cheers

+1. I spend most of my time in comfort and it would be nice if it was a little less bouncy but after coming from an Audi with s line ( they take bad ride to a new level) it lovely to have a car that's fast AND has a decent ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 02:55 AM   #90
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget32 View Post
+1. I spend most of my time in comfort and it would be nice if it was a little less bouncy but after coming from an Audi with s line ( they take bad ride to a new level) it lovely to have a car that's fast AND has a decent ride.
Lol yes audi are a little firm, one of reasons I got rid of my A4 black edition, lovely looking car, nice spec, just a bit harsh.

Admittedly my E91 with msport suspension is rather firm but fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 03:24 AM   #91
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

gtsussex, i was skeptical (and vocal) about whether there was a “need" for third party suspension changes for the 335d for most users and I am pleasantly surprised by your candid and honest thoughts on both the ACS springs and tuning.

I have yet to find my adaptive set up wanting for why i do, but i now think it may be possible to improve it at relatively low cost and more importantly without corrupting the ride - well done for taking the plunge and i may consider the ACS springs in the future - not necessarily as i find the current set up a problem, but if they are as good as you suggest, i may be missing out on an even better package and i wouldn’t know it unless i changed.

Good fella!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 03:31 AM   #92
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

@moonshine:
I have compared a standard xDrive with my sDrive. Both cars adaptive. Believe me they are chalk and cheese.
Go for the suspension mod as IMO it ill be worth it.
      05-31-2014, 03:44 AM   #93
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget32 View Post
I seem to be using it:

70% Comfort
15% Sport (chassis only selected - I select Sport on the gearbox independently when required)
10% Eco Pro (generally on long A roads with steady traffic and no chance of an overtake)
5% Sport+ (the contrast with driving in Comfort is remarkable - a totally different car. Amazing for a 40mpg diesel saloon)

I also think the current settings are about right for me. I would be reluctant to make Comfort much firmer as the 19" runflats aren't very forgiving on rough surfaces. I would also prefer to keep the current ride height so as not to increase the risk of grounding. The height looks fine to me, but I am generally not too bothered by aesthetics, as my wardrobe would confirm...

JD6
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 03:49 AM   #94
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I seem to be using it:

70% Comfort
15% Sport (chassis only selected - I select Sport on the gearbox independently when required)
10% Eco Pro (generally on long A roads with steady traffic and no chance of an overtake)
5% Sport+ (the contrast with driving in Comfort is remarkable - a totally different car. Amazing for a 40mpg diesel saloon)

I also think the current settings are about right for me. I would be reluctant to make Comfort much firmer as the 19" runflats aren't very forgiving on rough surfaces. I would also prefer to keep the current ride height so as not to increase the risk of grounding. The height looks fine to me, but I am generally not too bothered by aesthetics, as my wardrobe would confirm...

JD6
Yes, I found 19" 403Ms a bit unforgiving. I have 18" 400Ms and in comfort ride is very smooth. I now mostly drive in Sport. Dropping the ride height by a further 15mm could risk grounding but I am still seriously considering the ACS springs.
      05-31-2014, 03:57 AM   #95
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Yes, I found 19" 403Ms a bit unforgiving. I have 18" 400Ms and in comfort ride is very smooth. I now mostly drive in Sport. Dropping the ride height by a further 15mm could risk grounding but I am still seriously considering the ACS springs.
My dealer have just sourced a set of 400Ms for me (unwanted ones coming in on a new car) which will become my winter set. I will be interested to see the difference, although I will have to wait until November.

It is nice to know there is a relatively cheap suspension mod available in case I change my mind about the current set up. Only had the car for 3 weeks / 1400 miles so far, so still early days. I will also be interested to hear more reports as people fit the ACS springs.

JD6
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #96
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Thanks.
Now which sDrive M Sport driver is going to be the first to try these?
Here's looking at you kid
Lorcan,

I will call you on Monday - I'm up in Sheffield so would prefer local fitting, what options are available?

Cheers,

Saj
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #97
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Sandal at Wakefield would probably be the nearest ACS-active BMW dealer, but give me a call and we can sort something out.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #98
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d g31 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Sandal at Wakefield would probably be the nearest ACS-active BMW dealer, but give me a call and we can sort something out.
They are my local dealer and have just supplied the new car.
Unfortunately they will no longer supply or fit acs parts according to both their parts manager and workshop controller? I spoke to the contact name on your website and he said the partnership ended some years ago?
If you can help Lorcan I would be greatful as the springs are on my list and it would be good to use sandal.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #99
Lorcan
Rep

BMW ceased to be the UK importer and distributor of AC Schnitzer back in 2007 when BMWMP was introduced, but any dealer is welcome to order parts from us (Rossiters Ltd) and supply and fit for customers, that was agreed at the time. Sometimes though when staff change they are not made aware of this - I'll have a chat to Sandal and come back to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #100
IanD1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

lorcan,

I'd be keen for a set for my F30 335d, but being based in Northern Ireland it would make sense to get a local dealer to fit them. Do you have any experience of the 4 main dealers over here on which are most receptive to ACS parts and fitting?

Thanks in advance,
Ian
E91 325d, E90 320d, E92 M3, E87 118d, X5 30d, Z4M coupe, Z4M roadster, Mini JCW, E36 328i sport, E30 318i, Mini Cooper 35.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #101
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
BMW ceased to be the UK importer and distributor of AC Schnitzer back in 2007 when BMWMP was introduced, but any dealer is welcome to order parts from us (Rossiters Ltd) and supply and fit for customers, that was agreed at the time. Sometimes though when staff change they are not made aware of this - I'll have a chat to Sandal and come back to you.
If you can that would be great, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:32 AM   #102
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwol View Post
If you can that would be great, thanks.
And for me too.

@Ozwol, perhaps we can get a discount by getting at the same time from Sandal Wakefield?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #103
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
And for me too.

@Ozwol, perhaps we can get a discount by getting at the same time from Sandal Wakefield?
Sounds good to me, they owe me a favour as the new car had a dent in the side on delivery I'll wait to hear from lorcan after he has spoke with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #104
Lorcan
Rep

IanD1 is all sorted with David Prentice BMW doing the fitting I believe

I've just spoken to Lee Ogden at Sandal and he's more than happy to fit the springs for the Wakefield guys. Gentlemen if you'd like to get in touch with me by phone or email with your contact details I'll pass them on to Lee so that he can get in touch.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #105
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I've just spoken to Lee Ogden at Sandal and he's more than happy to fit the springs for the Wakefield guys. Gentlemen if you'd like to get in touch with me by phone or email with your contact details I'll pass them on to Lee so that he can get in touch.
Pm sent, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #106
IanD1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for your help with this. All booked in for the end of next week
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #107
DrSteve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xdrive msport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD1 View Post
Thanks for your help with this. All booked in for the end of next week
Let us know how you get on with this. I might be tempted to see if JKC would be up for fitting a set.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:08 AM   #108
IanD1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
Let us know how you get on with this. I might be tempted to see if JKC would be up for fitting a set.
Will do. I got a decent enough price for fitting. Country garage would be worth talking to as ACS mentioned they've fitted their parts before. I've used them before myself and always thought they were decent to work with but unfortunately they're a bit far away from me now.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:15 AM   #109
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
We regularly deal with JKC - ask for Gerard McGill there.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #110
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep

Sandal Wakefield called today. Acs springs fitted with alignment £505+vat. I didn't haggle but guess a few quid could be saved, Reasonable I thought for a main dealer.
They confirmed that warranty on springs is through acs and has no affect on bmw warranty of associated parts such as dampers etc.
Appreciate 0