F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Worthwhile options: Driving school and/or tune?
Studio RSR

04-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
granCLop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi GT

Worthwhile options: Driving school and/or tune?

Has anyone tuned/modded their 328GT? I apologize in advance for botching any terminology, am a complete noob.

Our 328GT is a fantastic family car, has a roomy & spacious back seat, and large trunk. It drives well, with nice acceleration and handling. However I regret not opting for the 335 & DHP, never mind M Sport...

I'd sporadically driven a '12 328i coupe, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I naively assumed this would be similar, even given the extra weight and length. The GT is not as sprightly, is much softer, with looser steering. After the purchase I test drove a 335xi, and it was great. Great acceleration, a responsive, stiff ride etc. This car purchase was sprung rather quickly; I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't do any research beforehand - I didn't even know they started using turbocharged 4 cylinders vs their i6s. Instead I spent most of my time advocating for this car over the RX, and Q5.

Do I have any options besides a tradein, to boost the car's performance & handling? Would a Dinan tune be worthwhile on the GT? Or should I just relish the fact I'm not cruising around in the RX and call it a day? The car is a pleasure to drive, it just fell short of my (unrealistic) expectations. Spouse suggested I take a car clinic or M school for fun, was wondering if a tune would be worthwhile as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #2
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F34 (328iX GT M-Sport)

There are plenty of options out there as far as tunes go... I just did a Dinan tune, but haven't had time to review it yet... (been out of town)

In my mind, even with the Dinan tune, it ended up cheaper than getting a 335i xDrive GT, and since the car will still be lighter, may even be faster than a 335 GT.

Driving school is a good option... and depends on how well you drive. Like most things, getting the best gear isn't always going to make you a better (insert whatever the gear is for). So if you want best performance on a track, learn to drive first, then upgrade the car. But if all you want is a little more pull and happiness on the butt dyno, go ahead for the tune (that's why I did it!)

Honestly, I love my 328iX GT... as you said, wonderful family car, great utility, aaannd... heavy. It is perfectly competent for everyday driving... but I wanted a little more pull, and better handling, just for those occasions I want to feel alive - that's why I went for Dinantronics and Shockware... (esp. for the recognition and warranty... and for the supposed smoother operation/ride than the other tunes that try to ooze every bit of power they can)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #3
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep

Here's a well written review from someone with the N26 328i:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1099292

FYI, Dinan has the tune for both N20 and N26 engines. If yours is N20 (like mine), it may benefit more than the N26 in the top end. (if you're not sure which engine, it's on a sticker under the hood)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
granCLop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all that info! Great link too. Lots to digest. Trekk was able to verbalize my thoughts on the car better than I. Glad to hear your reasoning, definitely a ringing endorsement for the tune. Looking forward to your review. Unfortunately can't get the Shockware, don't have the adaptive M suspension. Disappointed it's not an option.

Yes, a more powerful engine would only make a bad driver worse/more reckless. Driving school would be fun, could drive different models to their full potential. Though I'd be able to enjoy the benefits of the tune everyday. Have to read more about the warranty, might be a nonstarter with the spouse.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
lmcq784
Excited F34 owner
United_States
Rep

For what it's worth, my wife was totally ok with it, after I told her I'm buying the tune INSTEAD of buying a motorcycle.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #6
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Definitely recommend the driving school. I did the 2 day class at the BMW Performance Center last summer and I have to say it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I'm hoping to do the M school next.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcq784 View Post
It is perfectly competent for everyday driving... but I wanted a little more pull, and better handling, just for those occasions I want to feel alive -
I find my totally stock 328 up to anything I need it to do other than on the track, and I don't do track anymore. Sure, it's not a Z4, but I don't care, I'd rather be comfortable. BTW, I had a full week of training at the Bob Bondurant school, back in 1972, driving Shelby GT 500s. I can still do a Rockford turn if I have to, but I don't have to.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
granCLop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcq784 View Post
For what it's worth, my wife was totally ok with it, after I told her I'm buying the tune INSTEAD of buying a motorcycle.
Nice...I need to find my motorcycle equivalent. I would've given the a-ok on the motorcycle purchase as long as it came with a sidecar for me/kiddo.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
granCLop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
Definitely recommend the driving school. I did the 2 day class at the BMW Performance Center last summer and I have to say it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I'm hoping to do the M school next.
Cool, thanks for the rec. Definitely looking forward to the 2 day class. Hope you get to the M school soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
granCLop
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'd previously described the 328GT as "perfectly adequate" and that wasn't quite accurate. It implied it was merely adequate. It's not. It perfectly meets every one of our family's needs, for space, utility, and drive. It's a great car for our family.

And so, introducing our second GT:
Alpine white, luxury line (what? Still no M Sport??), and finally, 335.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0