F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > FAQ: BMW iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Functionality, Bluetooth and Y-Cable Overview
GetBMWParts

11-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #45
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I couldn't get Pandora or MOG to show up with ios 6.01 on my new Iphone 5 before the latest software update "UPD1005.bin"

I just updated the software and VOILA! All is good now with lightning cable and iPhone 5. Just have to see my dinosaur cradle and wait for the new one to come out.

Big fan of the cradle as it enhances phone reception. and charges it quickly.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #46
Elcuban
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: GOLF GTI MK5

I have recently changed from iPhone 4 to 5 both on iOS 6. when i now connect through the lightning cable I cannot see the playlist and the phone is showing Accessory Connected in place of the music menu.

Not sure why it is not now working as both were running on ios6. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #47
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcuban View Post
I have recently changed from iPhone 4 to 5 both on iOS 6. when i now connect through the lightning cable I cannot see the playlist and the phone is showing Accessory Connected in place of the music menu.

Not sure why it is not now working as both were running on ios6. Any help would be appreciated.
What year, model, and options (6NR, 6NF, etc) do you have?
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #48
Elcuban
Enlisted Member
Rep

Apologies for the slow response. It's a 1 series built mid this year with extended Bluetooth connectivity. It's a loan car
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #49
Elcuban
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have just updated the software and the issue does not change. Is anyone else experiencing this.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #50
jhonnyssd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i 2013

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I recently bought an 535i series and I tried step by step what Jason explain to get an iPhone 5 and the BMW office working. It didn't work for me, I can only make work the phone book, phone calls and music but not messages or email.

By the way I have an iPhone 5 version 6.01 and my car have everything you need to have to make it work.

Can somebody explain a little bit more, probably I'm doing something wrong or misunderstood the information.

Thank in advance.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #51
Fly_F30
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcuban View Post

Same set up on a 2012 F30 with NAV, enhanced bluetooth, NO Apps, but playlists, album art all work fine.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #52
Elcuban
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have been able to get it working. I need to start the song before I plug it into the USB. The phone however still shows a blank screen.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #53
GrooveBlender
India
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Sport

The FAQ you published is kinda helpful, thanks. I am a newbie and its my first BMW (F30 328i), I have one specific question and maybe its answered somewhere but I cant find it. When I use the apple lightning cable to connect my iPhone 5 I am able to listen to music and also see the album art on the screen BUT I am unable to control my music using the steering controls i.e. I cant forward or rewind using the scroller on the steering wheel though I am able to control the volume. I have heads up display and in the display it doesnt show me the forward and rewind options. If I use Bluetooth to connect then I lose the option to see album art and also unable to connect to BMW Apps though the steering controls work just fine in every respect. I see this as an issue with the iPhone's new connector. I used the old 30 Pin connector with my iPod and scrolling through music using the steering controls work just fine. I would like to see Album Art, charge my phone, BMW Apps, and also retain the steering functionality by using the apple cable - is anybody facing the same issue and is there a solution for this?
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #54
jrortiz
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I'm using an iPhone 5 via USB and just update the BT to version 1006 and now I can see the text messages in the iDrive. Still missing the emails.
      01-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #55
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrortiz View Post
I'm using an iPhone 5 via USB and just update the BT to version 1006 and now I can see the text messages in the iDrive. Still missing the emails.
AFAIK the emails aren't working correctly. That's what an October BMW bulletin said which I got at delivery and the interim updates haven't fixed mine.
      01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #56
adwynne
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116d 2012

Hi,

I have a new 1 series with the standard audio system and I can't get the iPhone 5 to connect via the Y cable. I've bought the standard Apple lightning to 30 pin connector and it just flickers as if the connection is intermittent.

I've separately tested the Y cable (my wife's iPhone 4 connects fine) and the apple adapter for data and media. I tried to update the car software from the BMW update site, but the software is up to date, as you'd expect for a 2 week old car.

So I'm a but concerned at how people seem to have used adaptors to connect their iPhone 5, whereas I seem to be experiencing a compatibility problem. The phone connects fine over Bluetooth.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2013, 04:20 AM   #57
cezinho
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 & BMW F31

hi there,
i am about to get my F31 with standard bleutooth and USB.
My question is: having an HTC Sensation will I loose anything in term of functionality against the Iphone 5?

thank you
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #58
raj10800
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

When I plug in the Iphone thru USB port of the Y-Cable I get Album art but no sound. To get sound I need to plud in the aux port and then album art disappears. Any solutions?
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #59
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezinho View Post
hi there,
i am about to get my F31 with standard bleutooth and USB.
My question is: having an HTC Sensation will I loose anything in term of functionality against the Iphone 5?

thank you
You won't get the functionality of BMW Apps.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #60
cezinho
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 & BMW F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You won't get the functionality of BMW Apps.
thank you for the answer,
but in case I dont have that extra in car (BMW Apps), do I loose anything on the other functionality with an Anroid device vs Ios?

thank you
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #61
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezinho View Post
thank you for the answer,
but in case I dont have that extra in car (BMW Apps), do I loose anything on the other functionality with an Anroid device vs Ios?

thank you
If your car does not have BMW Apps, then the feature set of iOS vs. Android device should be the same.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #62
alin22
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Search Phonebook function not working

Hi guys, new to this forum.

I got a new 2013 328i xDrive and was wondering if anybody has issues accessing the phonebook. I have an iPhone 5 which connects without problems to the car via bluetooth. I can see all my contacts, properly sorted in both, telephone menu and office menu.

The problem is when I try searching for a particular name in the list. I get the screen with all the letters, and I am able to select what letters I want. To my understanding, this is supposed to trigger filtering of the contacts, based on my input. It just doesn't do anything. The contacts list on the split screen remains unchanged. Even if I type the complete name, as it is in the phonebook, nothing happens.
Once I press ok, it brings up the contacts list on the full screen and the highlight is on the first name in the list.

Scrolling works to a certain extent. I have a couple thousand contact names in the phonebook and scrolling through all of them is a nightmare. Also, randomly, after scrolling through several letters, I only get lines instead of names. This gets back to normal if I exit and re-enter the Phonebook menu. Very annoying.

Is this normal with iPhone 5? I spoke with my dealer who drives similar car and his works fine with Blackberry? Can anybody confirm the "Search Phonebook" behaviour with iPhone 5 (ios6.3 or whatever is the latest as of April 16)?
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #63
alin22
Canada
Rep

Update: i checked the phonebook search with an older Blackberry and it works like a charm. This narrows down the issue to iPhone connection. I cannot try a previous version of iPhone, so don't know whether is a general problem or just iPhone 5. Would love to hear what other people have experienced.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #64
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alin22 View Post
Update: i checked the phonebook search with an older Blackberry and it works like a charm. This narrows down the issue to iPhone connection. I cannot try a previous version of iPhone, so don't know whether is a general problem or just iPhone 5. Would love to hear what other people have experienced.
I didn't see a search function with my iPhone 5 paired to the car. Can't you use voice to call up a number? I use "Phonebook" and then she asks what name.
      04-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #65
alin22
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I didn't see a search function with my iPhone 5 paired to the car. Can't you use voice to call up a number? I use "Phonebook" and then she asks what name.
Thanks for your reply. I found an iPhone 3Gs and tried that one too. There were only 10 contacts in that phonebook and it didn't show a Search function. I am just guessing but it might be that "search" shows up only when the number of contacts is above a certain value. On my iPhone 5, where I have over 2,000 phonebook entries, the Search a-z function shows on top of the list, the very first line.

Voice command is hit and miss, it gets it right with English names, however doesn't work too well with other ones.

Anyway, I've sent an e-mail to BMW and although they are not specifically referring to my problem, here's their answer:

"Thank you for contacting BMW Canada. We appreciate your inquiry.

At this time, our BMW engineers are still testing the compatibility of the iPhone 5 with BMW vehicles. During this time, not all features may be fully functional. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

If you have any further comments, please reply to this email or contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW Canada."
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #66
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Any luck with this? Just got an iPhone 5 yesterday and cannot get emails or text messages through iDrive either.
Appreciate 1