F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > NEW RELEASE: Dinan F2x/F3x Adjustable Camber Plate Kit
Studio RSR

02-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: Dinan F2x/F3x Adjustable Camber Plate Kit

Name:  F2x_F3x_camberplate_banner_RGB.jpg
Views: 4277
Size:  278.6 KB

Part Number: D160-0007 - Dinan Adjustable Camber Plates for BMW F2x M235i & 228i / F3x 320i, 328i, 335i, 340i, 428i, & 435i
Labor Time: 3.5 hrs
Details and Pricing: Consult www.dinancars.com.

Dinan's F2x / F3x Camber Plates allow an impressive 43mm of total camber adjustment (30 negative, 13 positive) providing for a more aggressive negative camber setting that dramatically improves grip in the turns for reduced understeer and razor sharp turn-in. The positive adjustment range on the camber plates is unique to Dinan and allows the end user, if desired, to retain OEM camber settings on a lowered car or to combat excessive negative camber brought upon by springs that aggressively lower the car. Not only do the Dinan camber plates provide a wide range of adjustment but they also have ride quality in mind like all of Dinan's suspension components and are designed to properly retain the bumpstop so that it compresses as designed from the factory. There is no reason for camber plates to wildly inhibit ride quality if engineered properly. Dinan camber plates are also built to take a beating and are the only ones that utilize a steel alloy mount plate that will resist deforming from pot holes on the street or curb hopping at the track.

Aggressive drivers will benefit from reduced outside edge tire wear as well.

Benefits of the F2x / F3x Camber Plate Kit:
  • 43mm of total camber adjustment (30 negative, 13 positive from OEM)
  • Decreased understeer
  • Decreases outside edge tire wear
  • Steel alloy mount plate and not aluminum
  • Fits with factory strut tower weather seal
Dinan warranty applies to all parts except for the spherical bearings. A separate maintenance kit with new spherical bearings, snap rings, and loctite will be available to customers that want to eventually replace worn/noisy bearings.

Name:  D160-0007_2_LR.jpg
Views: 3505
Size:  338.2 KB
Name:  D160-0007_5_LR.jpg
Views: 3469
Size:  219.6 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 02-01-2016 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
zxtman
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport

A few questions:
  • I know that maximum [negative] camber numbers will vary depending on ride height, but what does the 30mm of adjustment translate to on a specific spring application, more or less ?
  • Does this work with the stock diameter spring only? ...what about coilovers with different spring diameters?
  • Is the stack height same as stock? ...or does the ride height change when installed?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxtman View Post
A few questions:
  • I know that maximum [negative] camber numbers will vary depending on ride height, but what does the 30mm of adjustment translate to on a specific spring application, more or less ?
  • Does this work with the stock diameter spring only? ...what about coilovers with different spring diameters?
  • Is the stack height same as stock? ...or does the ride height change when installed?

Thanks.
1. Every 1/2" (12.7mm) of travel equates to a degree so 30mm equates to about 2.25 degrees of adjustment on the negative. Not to mention the additional degree of adjustment on the positive side as well.

2. Compatible with stock diameter springs only.

3. Ride height effectively remains the same when installed. Waiting on engineering to review the drawings but was told there may be a "negligible increase of a mm or 2". Confirmed BTW the ride height varies between 1-1.5mm with the camber plates installed. Negligible.

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 02-03-2016 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Will these make noise?
      03-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Will these make noise?
It is possible they will have a slight increase in road noise and the product page notes as such. I personally don't hear a difference but some of the more sensitive ears in the shop swear they hear them. rwalker may be able to offer his own insight on them though.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #6
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
It is possible they will have a slight increase in road noise and the product page notes as such. I personally don't hear a difference but some of the more sensitive ears in the shop swear they hear them. rwalker may be able to offer his own insight on them though.
My heim joints have started to make a bit of noise. Sharp bumps transfer knocking noises into the cabin. My plan is to replace the top nuts and try less camber before I suggest it's an issue with the plates/spherical bushings.

I can unequivocally say that Dinan plates are the best plates available today for these cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
zxtman
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
I can unequivocally say that Dinan plates are the best plates available today for these cars.
That's a bold statement. What factors are you basing it on ...cost? ...design/engineering? ...durability ...noise?
And for what use ...daily driving ...track?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxtman View Post
That's a bold statement. What factors are you basing it on ...cost? ...design/engineering? ...durability ...noise?
And for what use ...daily driving ...track?
Not trying to be bold, this is merely my opinion.

The basis for my opinion is that I've tried every plate available for these cars, and Dinan plates have the fewest shortcomings.

GC: noise and weak radial bearing, loss of steering feel
TC Kline: noise, ill fitment, lack of adjustability
K-MAC: don't fit without cutting strut brace, fragile

Looking forward to trying the Vorshlag plates once they're available.

-Rob
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #9
dreamwonder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2006 330i

Quote:
Not trying to be bold, this is merely my opinion.

The basis for my opinion is that I've tried every plate available for these cars, and Dinan plates have the fewest shortcomings.

GC: noise and weak radial bearing, loss of steering feel
TC Kline: noise, ill fitment, lack of adjustability
K-MAC: don't fit without cutting strut brace, fragile

Looking forward to trying the Vorshlag plates once they're available.

-Rob
Thanks for sharing the info Rob. I pulled the trigger on these. Was able to get -2.6 total on both sides.

Some more info.
328i xdrive with 400m wheels running 245/40/18, Bilstien PSS B14 coilovers at 26.5in front drop and 26.25 rear drop (from fender). Left side camber is at -2.6, adjustment is maxed out. Right side camber is at -2.6, with 1 tick left with the adjustments. Caster at 6.6 on both sides. Had to double washer the slotted bolt, bolt was a tiny bit too long. Road noise from tires are increased, very noticeable even at 15mph. Say stock is a 8, coils + drop is a 6.5, coils + drop + plates is a 5.5. My understanding is that the increased noise is not because of the plates but due to the increase in negative camber causing the tires to roar louder.

Last edited by dreamwonder; 04-07-2016 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Update: my spherical bearings have worn out, causing lots of clunking over sharp bumps. I've contacted Dinan for help.

These have maybe 1500 miles on 'em. One autocross and one track weekend.

Movement of the spherical bushing in its race illustrated:

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Update: Dinan warranty got in touch with me Monday morning, immediately overnighted me a new set of sliders, and they're now on the car. Fantastic support.

The really excessive clunking is fixed. I have one more test: my parking garage, the floor of which is like a washboard, to see if the more minor noises are also addressed. I'm cautiously optimistic.

These sliders have much, much tighter spherical bearings than my last set. When new, my last pair would yield to bearing deflection attempts from my fingers. This new set wouldn't budge, even to opposing thumbs with plenty of grunting.

I wonder if the design/vendor/clearances have been adjusted since the first manufacturing run... Dinan/Nathan, can you comment?

Last edited by rwalker; 04-20-2016 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #12
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: Dinan warranty got in touch with my Monday morning, immediately overnighted me a new set of sliders, and they're now on the car. Fantastic support.

The really excessive clunking is fixed. I have one more test: my parking garage, the floor of which is like a washboard, to see if the more minor noises are also addressed. I'm cautiously optimistic.

These sliders have much, much tighter spherical bearings than my last set. When new, my last pair would yield to bearing deflection attempts from my fingers. This new set wouldn't budge, even to opposing thumbs with plenty of grunting.

I wonder if the design/vendor/clearances have been adjusted since the first manufacturing run... Dinan/Nathan, can you comment?
Nothing has been adjusted in the manufacturing runs to my knowledge. We had one of our techs have a once over on them before they were shipped out to you would have been the only unique thing to that set. He didn't actually DO anything though, other then ensure everything was as it should of been though as a precaution since you had issues with the first set. Did Dan ask you to send the old set back by chance? I assume he did just so we could look at them to see what may have been different. Hopefully that will yield the answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #13
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nothing has been adjusted in the manufacturing runs to my knowledge. We had one of our techs have a once over on them before they were shipped out to you would have been the only unique thing to that set. He didn't actually DO anything though, other then ensure everything was as it should of been though as a precaution since you had issues with the first set. Did Dan ask you to send the old set back by chance? I assume he did just so we could look at them to see what may have been different. Hopefully that will yield the answer.
yep, have an RMA label, will drop them off this afternoon
      04-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have one more test: my parking garage, the floor of which is like a washboard, to see if the more minor noises are also addressed. I'm cautiously optimistic.
New sliders are quiet in my parking garage. I'm at 12843 miles today, we'll see how long they stay tight
      05-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #15
Scubadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Dinan,

Any feedback on the root cause failure analysis on those failed bearings off of RWalker's car? I'm very interested to order these, but it's not too encouraging that the one user report has a failure after 1500 miles of the one part that explicitly has no warranty coverage. Please convince me that I'm not going to regret ordering these.

Thanks.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #16
Scubadriver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglesre View Post
Dinan,

Any feedback on the root cause failure analysis on those failed bearings off of RWalker's car? I'm very interested to order these, but it's not too encouraging that the one user report has a failure after 1500 miles of the one part that explicitly has no warranty coverage. Please convince me that I'm not going to regret ordering these.

Thanks.

Bob
Come on, Dinan? Really? No comment? This is your thread. Please convince me!

Bob
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #17
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglesre View Post
Come on, Dinan? Really? No comment? This is your thread. Please convince me!

Bob
There hasn't been anything to report.

The units got back to us this past Thursday and the tail end of the week/weekend was dedicated to a race team that launched at Laguna Seca so nothing happened with the caber plates last week due to all hands being tied up there. The beginning of this week saw quite a few of the engineers take a day off on Monday/Tuesday since they were putting in 5 days straight of long hours (in some cases 24 hours shifts in order to get the car prepped for race weekend). Needless to say yesterday was the first day we really had any meaningful engineering crew back in the office and even then only a cursory glance was taken at the camber plates because they were now behind on other projects. To my knowledge nothing meaningful has been discovered about those plates to explain the failure but then again they haven't been dug into very much I don't think yet either. Rob may have more information then I though as he has been in contact with the warranty/tech support department on the matter so maybe he got some inkling today that I am not aware of.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #18
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

I am in direct contact with support, and they're just getting a chance to look.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #19
Scubadriver
Private
Rep

Quote:
There hasn't been anything to report.

The units got back to us this past Thursday and the tail end of the week/weekend was dedicated to a race team that launched at Laguna Seca so nothing happened with the caber plates last week due to all hands being tied up there. The beginning of this week saw quite a few of the engineers take a day off on Monday/Tuesday since they were putting in 5 days straight of long hours (in some cases 24 hours shifts in order to get the car prepped for race weekend). Needless to say yesterday was the first day we really had any meaningful engineering crew back in the office and even then only a cursory glance was taken at the camber plates because they were now behind on other projects. To my knowledge nothing meaningful has been discovered about those plates to explain the failure but then again they haven't been dug into very much I don't think yet either. Rob may have more information then I though as he has been in contact with the warranty/tech support department on the matter so maybe he got some inkling today that I am not aware of.
Thanks for the feedback, Dinan. I look forward to hearing the failure root cause.

I'm relatively new to BMW, but I've long been aware of the respected Dinan brand name. I've got Dinan springs on order for my M235i. I hope that I can trust that if I choose Dinan camber plates, you will ensure the product lives up to your name.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #20
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line

Any update on this, as I'm really looking for a solution for some proper camber plates. I can't seem to find them on Dinan's site as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #21
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckJAI View Post
Any update on this, as I'm really looking for a solution for some proper camber plates. I can't seem to find them on Dinan's site as well.
http://www.dinancars.com/product/d16...35i-428i-435i/
      05-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #22
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line

Quote:
Weird because I searched the same Part # and the original link didn't work as well so I called them up.

They said "a few weeks" until they are back up and stocked. Said something about the first batch had manufacturing issues and they are getting new production done.
Appreciate 0