F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Jb in a lease bmw?
GetBMWParts

08-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Jb in a lease bmw?

What happens if dealer found the jb4 installed on leased f30?

Will they tell u to buy the vehicle outright or charge u a fine?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

not sure but i cant imagine it would go well. probably void your warranty
      08-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
not sure but i cant imagine it would go well. probably void your warranty
Warranty most likely is voided for things on the car that might be related to the power gain, and I was told by a dealer that they wouldn't be able to sell the car as a CPO vehicle after it's returned at the end of the lease. That has to cost them some money. Not sure how they recover that. If your center console gets stuck and you have a tune, or a headlight goes out, obviously they'll cover that.

I personally would wait for a handheld OBII style plug in device that will let you easily remove/install the tune. At least that's my plan. I had a dinan tune on my N54 but it was a nightmare because I had to keep getting the car reflashed every time BMW came out with a CPU update which seemed to be at least 2 times a year.

I know ESS made one for the E9x N55 models that was about $1000 and made about 40rwhp/60rwtq over stock....or about 45-50hp/70-75tq at the crank over stock.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

i mostly think they will tell you to buy a car outright because you damaged the car which is the property of bmw?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

remove it before you take it for service... Clear the codes using the CAN tool...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

For the e9x cars those that tuned them had a Bavarian Tech (BavTech) code reader that was capable of not just reading the universal codes but BMW specific codes and was capable of clearing them. This is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL because BMW developed "shadow codes" that are hidden and, if triggered, will tell the dealer that the car has been tuned. There was also a possibility that for cars with BMW Assist these codes were TRANSMITTED TO BMW before they could be cleared. I don't know if that's true or was ever resolved, but the shadow codes are FOR REAL.

For me this was all too much and I just decided against any non-factory tune altogether. Be careful before and after you tune. Just taking it out probably will not be enough. Too many people have had their warranties voided after removing the tune because they failed to clear the shadow codes. Have fun but be careful. The BMW warranty is worth its weight in gold, but its as fragile as an eggshell.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
remove it before you take it for service... Clear the codes using the CAN tool...
exactly, so whats the prob?
      08-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
This. Its such a quick install, and once you do it a few times there's no reason why you can't do it in about 35-45 minutes.

You'll be set!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
This. Its such a quick install, and once you do it a few times there's no reason why you can't do it in about 35-45 minutes.

You'll be set!

According to Ballz, on the F30 it's even faster.. took him 5 minutes
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
According to Ballz, on the F30 it's even faster.. took him 5 minutes
Wow that's pretty excellent. We haven't done an F30 tune yet, and I was going from my experiences installing on an N54 E90.

Good to know though!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
turtle335
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

How much +HP total if i installed it?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
s1k0ne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ..

Hi,

i was wondering if any reputable shop installed the tune and cleared it in the F30 without any problems.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
For the e9x cars those that tuned them had a Bavarian Tech (BavTech) code reader that was capable of not just reading the universal codes but BMW specific codes and was capable of clearing them. This is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL because BMW developed "shadow codes" that are hidden and, if triggered, will tell the dealer that the car has been tuned. There was also a possibility that for cars with BMW Assist these codes were TRANSMITTED TO BMW before they could be cleared. I don't know if that's true or was ever resolved, but the shadow codes are FOR REAL.

For me this was all too much and I just decided against any non-factory tune altogether. Be careful before and after you tune. Just taking it out probably will not be enough. Too many people have had their warranties voided after removing the tune because they failed to clear the shadow codes. Have fun but be careful. The BMW warranty is worth its weight in gold, but its as fragile as an eggshell.
My car has BMW assist, my question is can you deactiveate this service? I plan on doing a tune and I obviously dont want them to know so can I eliminate this monster that they created to know everything about our cars while theyre in our possesion.
      11-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
omer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8 GC

You guys make it such a big deal, install the JB and when you take it for service shut it off or leave it on. I have a 2009 335i face lift for almost 3 years and I have the dual cone intake jb3 then went to JB4 also have straight pipe, hid fog lights paint my top of the car black plus other shit. And I bring my car to any dealer for service no one has said shit to me. I'm getting my 2013 335 I M next week after this bitch Sandy came thru and everything is in hold.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer View Post
You guys make it such a big deal, install the JB and when you take it for service shut it off or leave it on. I have a 2009 335i face lift for almost 3 years and I have the dual cone intake jb3 then went to JB4 also have straight pipe, hid fog lights paint my top of the car black plus other shit. And I bring my car to any dealer for service no one has said shit to me. I'm getting my 2013 335 I M next week after this bitch Sandy came thru and everything is in hold.
Im just trying to find out about this bmw assist and if they really see the shadow codes when the car has a tuner in it.
      11-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
s1k0ne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Im just trying to find out about this bmw assist and if they really see the shadow codes when the car has a tuner in it.
Same thing i'm wondering about. Maybe the poster above had a dealership that didn't care about modified cars? Also, with the mods that you did including your painted roof, you had your car purchased right? No way a dealer would allow a painted roof.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1k0ne View Post
Same thing i'm wondering about. Maybe the poster above had a dealership that didn't care about modified cars? Also, with the mods that you did including your painted roof, you had your car purchased right? No way a dealer would allow a painted roof.
The op painted his roof not me, and I dont think they would really care about a painted roof. But dont go to them and complain there is a rust bubble forming on the roof or the paint is fading or what not. You can just pretty much expect to be turned away at that point. But like everyone else said it all depends on what part is affected. Youre painted roof will have nothing to do with a defective window switch for example so you would have no issues there.

If this whole BMW assist thing is true and it cant be disconnected, I think everyone is pretty much screwed as far as tuning goes, unless you are willing to give up your warranty. We all may be monopolized into BMW's PPK

I also know there are a few members on here already with a JB in their cars, maybe they can chime in and tell us if they have BMW assist and how/if it does send shadow codes to BMW. Maybe this can be bypassed or tricked as well.
      11-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
omer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8 GC

My car Is a lease. I bring my car to the biggest dealers In ny and nj. I had my Jb in the car I changed fuel pumps my turbos burned they replaced everything. I can only speak for my self I really didn't have Any problems. My car is at the port in nj and I can't wait to get it and install the Jb.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #19
seXDrive
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Quote:
My car Is a lease. I bring my car to the biggest dealers In ny and nj. I had my Jb in the car I changed fuel pumps my turbos burned they replaced everything. I can only speak for my self I really didn't have Any problems. My car is at the port in nj and I can't wait to get it and install the Jb.
Which dealer? Prestige?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

I have never heard of a Warrenty Void on a Lease.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
PeterM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post

Im not sure how BMW scan tools work at the dealer, But im a tech at toyota and if we check codes it will send them straight to toyota so its true...

Quote:
Basically true plus the techs or service people dont really care or know its a lease. As long as you dont come in with CEL on or engine problems i would not worry at all about leaving the JB tune in. A tech is not going to waste his time to check if it has a tune unless you have a engine related concern.
      12-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #22
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335I

Garage List
I talked to a service technician at BMW and straight up asked him if I brought a modded car to them would it be a big deal?

He basically said they do not care about mods when it comes to simple services like oil changes.

So basically if you have your car tuned for a regular service, you should be cool. Just take it off and clear it before taking it for warranty related issues or engine related issues.

I just ordered my JB4, so I am excited to be getting some extra HP out of it.
Appreciate 0