F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > [Help] High pitch noise with Injen Intake + ER Intercooler and Pipes + GFB DV+
Studio RSR

05-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 --> E89

Hi every one, i am getting this high pitch noise from the engine bay when i am accelerating. Someone friends says this is normal and some friends says i might have some air leak in the system. Any suggestion what should i do or tell the shop to check?

I just have the ER intercooler and charge/boost pipes + Injen intake + BMW OCC + GFB DV+ mods in my engine bay. I also have ER downpiped installed, but i don't think it is related to this high pitch noise.

below is the link of the video clip i shoot for the sound, and you might need to crank up the volume to hear this high pitch sound. Thank you all for the help!

Last edited by LittleBlackHawk; 05-23-2016 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:50 AM   #2
jaymax
F30 328i Msports N20+ERDP+CP+TIC+FMIC+MPE+ JB4
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BM3 Stage 2

I have pretty much the same high pitch sound as you especially when loading or WOT, was wandering if you manage to rectify your issue. Mine came about after I changed customed my full exhaust system and I'm FBOed.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk View Post
Hi every one, i am getting this high pitch noise from the engine bay when i am accelerating. Someone friends says this is normal and some friends says i might have some air leak in the system. Any suggestion what should i do or tell the shop to check?

I just have the ER intercooler and charge/boost pipes + Injen intake + BMW OCC + GFB DV+ mods in my engine bay. I also have ER downpiped installed, but i don't think it is related to this high pitch noise.

below is the link of the video clip i shoot for the sound, and you might need to crank up the volume to hear this high pitch sound. Thank you all for the help!

Do you feel any loss of power?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
nemobanks
Nemo banks
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegov209 View Post
A Leak.
FBO N20, G-Plus Oil Cooler , Injen Cold Air Intake, MST turbo inlet, AFE Charge Pipe, BMS Oil Catch Can, Forged Motorsport Blow of Vavle, Wanger FMIC, Circuit Werkes Catless Downpipe, Full Straight 3inch exhuast. Stage 2 Active Auto Werke.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

yeah deff sounds like a boost (vacuum) leak ...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domotron View Post
yeah deff sounds like a boost (vacuum) leak ...
Yeah it has to be I had the same problem but mine was super loud check your chargepipe and make sure you installed it correctly to the intercooler because that was my problem if not check your GFB DV maybe the spring isn't on correctly.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 02:30 AM   #8
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep

it somehow went away by itself.... so still a mystery to me. I thought it was a vacuum leak at the first but the shop couldn't find where the leak it. No distinguishable power loss, and no error shows up in the computer. The shop said if there is leak, it should have error code, there are sensor monitor the pressure.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it somehow went away by itself.... so still a mystery to me. I thought it was a vacuum leak at the first but the shop couldn't find where the leak it. No distinguishable power loss, and no error shows up in the computer. The shop said if there is leak, it should have error code, there are sensor monitor the pressure.
Thats odd bro I had the same problem nothing no codes came up on mine my car was boosting fine but found out my chargepipe was loose lol. Except the noise I had was super loud. Here bro check it out.
https://youtu.be/h_keKv29CSw
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 11:12 PM   #10
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegov209 View Post
Thats odd bro I had the same problem nothing no codes came up on mine my car was boosting fine but found out my chargepipe was loose lol. Except the noise I had was super loud. Here bro check it out.
https://youtu.be/h_keKv29CSw
Man, your sound is quite loud, and i am surprised that didn't trigger any alarm in the ECU....

I did took off my Injen Intake system twice, one time is to replacing the filter, another time is to add sensors for my multi-gauge.

since my high pitch sound wasn't as loud as yours and needs to turn down the music to hear it, i kind of forgot about it. Until i saw this post again and noticed that the sound actually went away.

Though intake system isn't a vacuum system... but could it be the intake system wasn't properly installed, and accidentally got fixed while removing and reinstalling the intake system?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man, your sound is quite loud, and i am surprised that didn't trigger any alarm in the ECU....

I did took off my Injen Intake system twice, one time is to replacing the filter, another time is to add sensors for my multi-gauge.

since my high pitch sound wasn't as loud as yours and needs to turn down the music to hear it, i kind of forgot about it. Until i saw this post again and noticed that the sound actually went away.

Though intake system isn't a vacuum system... but could it be the intake system wasn't properly installed, and accidentally got fixed while removing and reinstalling the intake system?
Yeah bro mine was pretty loud it was scary lol because my car would jolt and vibrate everytime I stopped untilI found the problem which was a pretty big boost leak by my chargepipe. My chargepipe wasn't made properly were the C clamp was suppose to be it didn't fit my intercooler for some odd reason. Now my ER chargepipe fits great. I did get hecka codes tho when I installed my ER chargepipe for some reason but found out something was catching ground something like that.. I thought my map sensor didn't work ended up bying another one for no reason though. Good thing though the sound went away bro hopefully it doesn't come back but if it does I feel like you can narrow it down now.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:20 AM   #12
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep

Hi bro, thanks for sharing your experience. Ya, i hope the sound will never come back, and if it ever does, the first thing i will check is the charge pipe (also use ER)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi bro, thanks for sharing your experience. Ya, i hope the sound will never come back, and if it ever does, the first thing i will check is the charge pipe (also use ER)
No problem bro need anything always here to help Hopefully it never comes back cause a boost leak sucks Anyways bro I leave you to it bro have a good day
Appreciate 0