F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dealer - My Thoughts
proTUNING Freaks

07-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Avenged328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328i

Dealer - My Thoughts

Recently my car was crashed by a drunk driver over the holiday.

So I decided to take it to the dealer so they can run a diagnostic on the car to make sure nothing internal or frame got damaged.

They charged me $165 to run the diagnostic (since it wasn't anything factory damage related).
Which is fair - I guess (not really).

I was thinking what if I went into the dealer and just said "I think my car may be leaking." I don't think they would have charged me for the diagnostic.
Or would they have?

hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Well too late now but they probably would have charged you labor for inspecting your "leak". Can't get everything for free.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Moony
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / F32 435i

Garage List
2010 328i  [0.00]
exactly, no matter what you explain to them they'll charge you to make a quick buck even under warranty if its viable.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

If your car was in an accident then all the inspections and repairs should have been done under you insurance claim. If you chose not to do that and requested an inspection on your dime, then it's on your dime.
Appreciate 3
      07-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Avenged328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
If your car was in an accident then all the inspections and repairs should have been done under you insurance claim. If you chose not to do that and requested an inspection on your dime, then it's on your dime.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

If the leak or any kind of component failure covered under warranty, they will not charge you for diagnostic fee.
If it is not, you will get charged no matter what you tell them

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged328i View Post
Recently my car was crashed by a drunk driver over the holiday.

So I decided to take it to the dealer so they can run a diagnostic on the car to make sure nothing internal or frame got damaged.

They charged me $165 to run the diagnostic (since it wasn't anything factory damage related).
Which is fair - I guess (not really).

I was thinking what if I went into the dealer and just said "I think my car may be leaking." I don't think they would have charged me for the diagnostic.
Or would they have?

hmmm...

A) Does your dealer have a body shop with a frame machine? If not than why go there?

B) $165 is very fair, you asked them to complete a service, that is their rate. Certainly they told you the cost up front.

C) If you had gone in and said "I think my car may be leaking" they would have looked it over for a leak, might not have charged you if it's under warranty (unless it was leaking from the accident, which is not covered). But ultimately they would not have checked out anything important other than looking for a leak, so it would be a waste of time.

Here's what you SHOULD do in these case next time to avoid out of pocket issues.

Call your insurance company (or the insurance company responsible if known) and file a claim. They will give you instructions on how to proceed. They may have you wait for an appraiser to come inspect it, send you to one of their facilities for inspection, or tell you to get an estimate from a body shop and send it in.

Select the body shop you want to fix it, have them look it over and tell you if it's safe to drive. If it is not then leave it there, call the insurance adjuster and advise them where it is and get into a rental.

Then just sit back and wait for the car to be fixed.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
A) Does your dealer have a body shop with a frame machine? If not than why go there?

B) $165 is very fair, you asked them to complete a service, that is their rate. Certainly they told you the cost up front.

C) If you had gone in and said "I think my car may be leaking" they would have looked it over for a leak, might not have charged you if it's under warranty (unless it was leaking from the accident, which is not covered). But ultimately they would not have checked out anything important other than looking for a leak, so it would be a waste of time.

Here's what you SHOULD do in these case next time to avoid out of pocket issues.

Call your insurance company (or the insurance company responsible if known) and file a claim. They will give you instructions on how to proceed. They may have you wait for an appraiser to come inspect it, send you to one of their facilities for inspection, or tell you to get an estimate from a body shop and send it in.

Select the body shop you want to fix it, have them look it over and tell you if it's safe to drive. If it is not then leave it there, call the insurance adjuster and advise them where it is and get into a rental.

Then just sit back and wait for the car to be fixed.
I'd say that's what to do under 'normal' circumstances but explaining that 'drunk' driver thing to the insurance company . . .whoa . . . need to understand the situation a bit better.

I read OP's post as 'A drunk driver, while driving my car, crashed it' as opposed to 'A drunk driver, while under driving suspension, driving their 13th hand rusted out Sunfire they bought on Kijiji for the price of a box of granola bars smashed into my car'

Which one? The drunk was driving your car OP? Or they smashed into your car with their car?

If the drunk was driving your car, don't even use the word 'drink' and alcohol in the same sentence with the insurance company. Talk about Insurance Premium Rapage. Holy cow. But if the drunk was driving their own car, yeah, his/her insurance will need to cover it.

As for the dealer charging? Hey, even the price of 'free coffee' is worked into everything they sell.
Appreciate 0