F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
Extreme Powerhouse

09-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #331
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussolini View Post
just dropped the car to the dealership,the head of engineers drove it and did notice the steering wheel vibration,and his report were the following:

-wheel calibration
-wheel alignment
-wheel balance

gonna receive the car by the end of the day,gonna feed u back with the results
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 View Post
Yes, my dealership did the same to my car over the weekend and they said it has been fixed. I am going to pick up the car this afternoon.
let us know guys. thx
      09-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #332
Z4
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
let us know guys. thx
Just picked up my car. The steering wheel vibration was fixed. Not sure if they have done anything beside rebalancing the tires. Before the fix, I can feel vibration from 40-50mph especially at 45mph. Steering wheel would move left and right(electronically?) but the car feel stable. After the fix, I don't feel any vibration at all. Maybe it might come back later but it is gone on the way back home.

BTW, they gave me a 2011 335i and it was such a noisy car. Just got 9K on the odometer and I wonder what's wrong with it.

And the dealer also screw up my car with swirl marks all over the body especially on the black B-pillar. I told them that they probably wash my car with dirty mitt/cloth. They said they will document it and fix it next time I service the car.

2013 F30 328i Alpine White Sportline / Black Leatherette / Tech / Xenons (Timeline)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #333
Mussolini
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F30, porsche panamera

i've received the car,everything seems normal,the steering wheel vibration gone within 90%,the other 10% i think its the road feedback,otherwise everything is perfect and enjoyin it,its a very nice car

-they took the car for a day,they gave me a mini countryman as a replacement car,very nice car but i felt that i'm drivin' one of my toy cars when i was a kid...after drivin' my f30 i felt a huge difference(material,suspension,isolation)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #334
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F-10

I received my car in August ( SA production ). When the car is in park mode, I can feel vibration on steering wheel ( slightly ) and the the car as a whole. When I drive it, the steering wheel vibration reaches an unacceptable level. If I take my hands off, I see the steering wheel going left and right. It is extremely disturbing.

I talked to my dealer and made a test drive. Then the dealer and a mechanic made a test drive themselves, and at the end they told me they didn't notice the issue. I told them I made 5 of my friends do a test drive and they all noticed it. They replied like it is normal for this car, just live with it :-(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((.

I contacted BMWNA and BMW Germany 2 weeks ago. Got generic replies. I contacted them last week again via e-mail, no response. I called this week the BMWNA, finally the lady over there said their freaking engineers are working on a fix while not accepting the general steering wheel vibration that we also face.

I am extremely unhappy. Having paid more than 60K for a car, I accept no vibration.

Mine is 335i with M suspension, variable sport steering wheel, 19' tires.

Please DO NOT BUY the F-30 until you start reading this freaking steering wheel issue is fixed.

In early batches, they had START/STOP issues. It is fixed via a software update. However, the steering wheel issue is complicated. For the time being, stay away from F-30's.

Come on guys, how could BMW sell me a car like this ?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #335
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklander View Post
I received my car in August ( SA production ). When the car is in park mode, I can feel vibration on steering wheel ( slightly ) and the the car as a whole. When I drive it, the steering wheel vibration reaches an unacceptable level. If I take my hands off, I see the steering wheel going left and right. It is extremely disturbing.

I talked to my dealer and made a test drive. Then the dealer and a mechanic made a test drive themselves, and at the end they told me they didn't notice the issue. I told them I made 5 of my friends do a test drive and they all noticed it. They replied like it is normal for this car, just live with it :-(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((.

I contacted BMWNA and BMW Germany 2 weeks ago. Got generic replies. I contacted them last week again via e-mail, no response. I called this week the BMWNA, finally the lady over there said their freaking engineers are working on a fix while not accepting the general steering wheel vibration that we also face.

I am extremely unhappy. Having paid more than 60K for a car, I accept no vibration.

Mine is 335i with M suspension, variable sport steering wheel, 19' tires.

Please DO NOT BUY the F-30 until you start reading this freaking steering wheel issue is fixed.

In early batches, they had START/STOP issues. It is fixed via a software update. However, the steering wheel issue is complicated. For the time being, stay away from F-30's.

Come on guys, how could BMW sell me a car like this ?

It's a well known issue at this point. I was bitching about it back in february. they should be able to get it down to a level thats not to bad. A ton of cars have the problem. For your dealer to say its normal is bull shit. THey are replacing my 328. Tell them you want a replacement.
      09-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #336
BRM6
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 328/335/M235i/M4 - Current M6

Has anyone experienced a problem with vibration when braking? Mine has a slight vibration only at certain braking conditions... doesn't happen all the time either.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #337
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep

When I brake especially when turning a curve and I have a good speed, I see left right moves set aside steering wheel vibration.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #338
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
After now having driven my car for a few days I can confirm the steering vibration is gone. Previously, I was experiencing a vibration, like others, 40-60 mph. When I reported the problem to BMW, they attempted to do a road force balance and was successful except for one wheel/tire. They claimed it was a defective tire that caused the inability to balance. While driving the car with the partial road force balance complete, the vibration was still present. A week later the tire came in, I had it installed this past weekend and can confirm the steering vibration is gone. I will report back if it returns but as of now I am one happy camper with a smooth riding 328i.
      09-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #339
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep

mocohead, lucky you !

Keep your fingers crossed for us too.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #340
phx08
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKV Jetta

Has BMW implemented a fix for the cars that they are producing currently? I'm going to be ordering a 335i soon and I definitley do not want to run into this issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #341
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't think so phx08. I picked up mine in August and have the problem. When I called, finally the lady over the phone said their engineers are working on a fix. This tells they don't even know the original problem yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #342
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Have any of you tried lowering the air pressure in your front tires 3-4 psi? It is really simple to do, temporary, free, and may reduce your issues...Please give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #343
Z4
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Just picked up my car. The steering wheel vibration was fixed. Not sure if they have done anything beside rebalancing the tires. Before the fix, I can feel vibration from 40-50mph especially at 45mph. Steering wheel would move left and right(electronically?) but the car feel stable. After the fix, I don't feel any vibration at all. Maybe it might come back later but it is gone on the way back home.

BTW, they gave me a 2011 335i and it was such a noisy car. Just got 9K on the odometer and I wonder what's wrong with it.

And the dealer also screw up my car with swirl marks all over the body especially on the black B-pillar. I told them that they probably wash my car with dirty mitt/cloth. They said they will document it and fix it next time I service the car.
I can confirm that the vibration is completely gone after driving for a week.

2013 F30 328i Alpine White Sportline / Black Leatherette / Tech / Xenons (Timeline)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #344
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
I can confirm that the vibration is completely gone after driving for a week.
I can confirm the same. I have done all sorts of various driving conditions over the course of about 300 miles and the vibration is gone. I feel like some dealers might be hesitant to replace tires and/or wheels to get the balance perfect.
      09-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #345
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

There is something called on car wheel balance. It's been around for at least 20 years from my suspension guy here in Australia. All the cars I have owned had it done and all vibrations gone. I remember a Datsun 260z from 1976 with rack and pinion non power steer with nasty vibrations that he fixed that way.
Car gets jacked up, this machine spins the tyres to highway speed and some sort of light reflects and points the defects causing the imbalance. Not a mechanic but that is what I observed him doing.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #346
dan5.5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line

I have very minor vibration. I am taking it in this weekend...

Former: 2012 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #347
AutobahnDriver
Rep
Drives: F30

The vibration issue is also present here in Germany and they can't fix it either. Same story: "The engineers are working on it".

Additionally, many people are experiecing a "sticky steering wheel" due to the new ZF power steering assistant. Of course it's more efficient having the assitant kicking in only when the driver moves the steering wheel. But when that "kick in" delays to much, you get a weird driving experience, which sometimes can be frightning depending on the driving situation you are in.

Both problems seem to have the same source: The new ZF power steering. That explains why BMW themselves can't fix it - the component supplier has to fix it. It's a design problem.

Some got a software update, but that only attenuated the vibration and/or the stickyness. It did not remove it. Now BMW stopped the "software-only-sollution-attempt". People now explicitly asking for it are not getting it any more, because the problems return after a while and are even worse than before.

The only real solution seems to be an exchange of the complete steering mechanism with all the rods, cogwheels, servos and sensors. There is no "easy fix" your dealer can apply in his garage. Wheel balancing, exchange of rims and/or tyres only waters the problem down - it does not solve it. Eventually it will surface again.

BMW took my vibrating but non-sticky F30 back to Munich for repairs and gave me another F30 to drive meanwhile. The intermediate one had no vibrations at first. Now, after about 2000 Miles vibration is surfacing and the steering wheel is getting more and more sticky. The stickyness can be pretty annoying when changing lanes at over 100 mph. I personally think that that sticky steering is to dangerous at 140 mph, especially for inexperienced drivers.

Now I'm staying considerably below 100 mph until BMW returns my F30. But that I can do that with a Prius, too - don't need a F30 for that. If they finally fixed the vibration but instead "replaced" it with the stickyness, I will have to return the car for good.

They have my car now for over 4 weeks. Wouldn't be suprised if I got a call BMW asking me if I would like to keep the intermediate one (no way!) or rather have a new F30, because mine was damaged for good in the process of diagnosis :-)

At the moment I tend to Mercedes C-Class. At least they get the gear and steering right.

Last edited by AutobahnDriver; 09-12-2012 at 03:05 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #348
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

That's does not sound good. BTW Isn't the ATS using the same ZF power steering ?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #349
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

bmw really fucked up with this.
      09-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #350
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

Mine is slight but varies day to day. Obviously, I'm not rigorously notating the force of the vibration on a daily basis, but it seems like mine ebbs and flows each day. My pressures are set at 32fr/35ff and yesterday I didn't notice anything. This morning, I took my hand off the wheel at 50mph and it was shimmying pretty good. When I put my hand back on the wheel, I could feel the pulsations. I have been the dealer once and they road-forced balanced the wheels. That seemed to help for about a day.

The dealer where I purchased the car called a few days after I took delivery to ask me how the car was and I told them about the issue and that it was in for service at another dealer. She acknowledged that there had been some issues with the F30 and that their dealership was aware. They said they has replaced tires in their previous dealings with the issue.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #351
AutobahnDriver
Rep
Drives: F30

If you read the ZF brochure BMW's problem becomes clear:
Ideal for vehicle manufacturers: The steering column and servo unit are delivered to the production line ready-to-install. (http://www.zf-lenksysteme.com/upload...ctric_E_09.pdf)

It's most unlikely your garage is able to repair that highly integrated unit. Even BMW most likely can't and certainly will not do it.

The only feasible way is to replace the whole part, which means disassembling most of the front gear. Presupposing ZF mastered the "variance" in their production meanwhile. And that takes a mechanic who knows, what he's doing.

Nowadays modern cars are mostly patchwork of parts from different suppliers. The more integrated the supplied parts become, the less influence the car manufacturer has in case of belated technical faults.

Similar to the byer of the car, the manufacturer itself then has to (re-)submit a warranty claim and wait for a fix.

According to BMW my F30 is repaired on on his way back. The head of the dealer's garage told me, that along with the car he will get a detailed report, what parts have been replaced. He is going to show it to me.

I'm curious what they did and of course if they really fixed the problem without generating new ones.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #352
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutobahnDriver View Post
.....Both problems seem to have the same source: The new ZF power steering. That explains why BMW themselves can't fix it - the component supplier has to fix it. It's a design problem...... There is no "easy fix" your dealer can apply in his garage. Wheel balancing, exchange of rims and/or tyres only waters the problem down - it does not solve it. Eventually it will surface again.
So far my 2013 328i does not have this problem but I only have 500 miles on the car. I test drove 4 F30's including the one I purchased and two of them had the vibration. It was very noticeable, but to me it did not feel like a tire problem....it was too intermittent and almost felt like an electric "buzz". What you are saying about the steering system makes much more sense than a tire balance problem. I feel badly for everyone that is affected by this and I hope my car doesn't develop the problem later on.
Appreciate 0