F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Follow Our Live Updates on New BMW Navigation (Comes Nov.) and New iDrive Touchpad
ARMA SPEED
Closed Thread

07-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #45
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive M sport

My interest in the new Navi package lies with further possible iPhone integration with iOS6 which will be out by November. I suppose we will know more Wednesday.

Originally, I told I would get a July build / Aug delivery and would have kept it. BMW Canada says it is now week 35 which brings me into a much colder October delivery period. If I was living in the Mid or Southern States I would have a much harder decision to postpone my order. The intro of the new Navi & build week makes it much easier for me to wait for a Spring delivery.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #46
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
I highly doubt that they would install the new system for free or at a very low cost. Your option 3 seems the most plausible for you. If this is something that is really important to you, then I would wait for look at the new ATS.

I have a 2012 328i, and frankly, I do not see what the big deal is. I love my iDrive as it is now, I am completely satisfied with it. Would it be awesome and cool to have the new system? Of course, but I learned a long time ago that technology changes so quickly that it is impossible to keep up. When I placed my ED order in January, I went through a few days where I thought about waiting for various reasons, but my spouse convinced me to stick with my order because there is always going to be something newer and greater. I am glad I did, as two weeks before my redelivery, my old car was destroyed by an uninsured driver, so I would have needed a new car anyways.

Just like computers, cell phones, iPads, TVs, etc., new technology will be introduced no matter how new your product is. I think it would be awesome to have live radar on the nav or a wireless chip, but lets be honest, I didn't buy a BMW for the nav system. Japanese car makers have had these upgrades in their cars for years, but there is a reason why I chose BMW over their superior nav technology. For MY2013 buyers, if you can wait it out, then I would. Honestly though, I do not think that it is worth fretting about. You still are going to get a very capable nav system. When you purchase your car, you are getting the most up-to-date technology at that time, for that day, for that month. There will always be something newer and better (like the new iDrive touchpad control unit). You will never be happy with your car if you continually compare it to new models and newer technology.
Your points about waiting around for new technology are well made. What rankles here is that the new technology exists now but F30 customers are being treated like second class citizens while the updated system goes straight into the Activehybrid F30 and all F10 cars with no price increase. In the meantime, the bin of old parts gets emptied into F30 cars at the same price. That doesn't seem fair.
And it still isn't absolutely clear what's happening with the F31. If that gets the new system straight away BMW are really taking the mickey. (I'm not actually certain what month BMW starts building these).
Anyway, I've voted with my feet. Luckily for BMW, I chose an F10.
      07-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #47
a_k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G31 M550d

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Your points about waiting around for new technology are well made. What rankles here is that the new technology exists now but F30 customers are being treated like second class citizens while the updated system goes straight into the Activehybrid F30 and all F10 cars with no price increase. In the meantime, the bin of old parts gets emptied into F30 cars at the same price. That doesn't seem fair.
And it still isn't absolutely clear what's happening with the F31. If that gets the new system straight away BMW are really taking the mickey. (I'm not actually certain what month BMW starts building these).
Anyway, I've voted with my feet. Luckily for BMW, I chose an F10.
It should be clear for F31 or there is wrong information on their website. F31 @ bmw.com
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #48
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_k View Post
It should be clear for F31 or there is wrong information on their website. F31 @ bmw.com
Yes, I have seen that before. If this is what it seems it beggars belief.
      07-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #49
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

Doesn't bother me in the least.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #50
bruininabag
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Lancer

Looks like Nuance jumped the gun ahead of BMW's Wednesday announcement.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/9/314...agon-drive-bmw
http://www.nuance.com/for-individual.../bmw/index.htm

So I guess part of the update will be Dragon Drive integration.

Slightly confused since it says:
New BMW models released from July 2012 will successively be equipped with Dragon Drive! Messaging. The new BMW 7 Series, BMW 3 Series Touring and BMW 3 Series ActiveHybrid are the first BMW vehicles on the road having Dragon Drive! Messaging on board.

Is this a software update or something that's coming on the new Nav Pro?

Last edited by bruininabag; 07-09-2012 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #51
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruininabag View Post
Looks like Nuance jumped the gun ahead of BMW's Wednesday announcement.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/9/314...agon-drive-bmw

So I guess part of the update will be Dragon Drive integration.
This will be a big relief if this is the huge BMW reveal on Wednesday. Better voice command? LOL. Never use the stuff.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #52
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0

Making improvements to cars half way through production each year is nothing new to BMW. In fact I think it is quite common. I remember when I bought my '06 530i, half way through the year they bumped the HP by 27, added push button stop/start, and it seems one other thing that I can't recall at this time; which may have been a color change. If you absolutely have to have the upgrades, and you haven't yet taken delivery of your ordered car, your only option, I believe, is to refuse the original order and start all over again. Is it really worth it? I guess that's an individual's personal decision.

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #53
bruininabag
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Lancer

Looks like it'll be a new Nav Pro feature.

Here's the press release:
http://www.nuance.com/company/news-r...eases/BMW.docx

Burlington, Mass. – July 9, 2012 – Nuance Communications Inc. (NASDAQ: NUAN) today announced that BMW will be making Dragon Drive! Messaging available in the new 2012 BMW 7 Series, BMW 3 Series Touring and BMW 3 Series ActiveHybrid vehicles, with additional models to follow. Dragon Drive! Messaging is a new BMW ConnectedDrive feature as part of the latest generation of BMW Navigation system Professional. Unveiled in May, Dragon Drive! Messaging is Nuance’s new automotive-grade connected car service that lets people speak emails and text messages.

The 2012 BMW 7 Series will be the first car ever to feature Dragon Drive! Messaging, hitting the market in July 2012, with the BMW 3 Series Touring and BMW 3 Series ActiveHybrid following later this year. Dragon Drive! Messaging delivers a fully-integrated mobile assistant messaging experience that lets drivers speak, listen, edit and respond to text messages and emails – keeping their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Drivers can speak simple commands to format e-mails by adding new lines, paragraphs, and speaking punctuation and other format commands.

“People want to connect with family, friends, and colleagues while they’re on the road, but without the dangerous distractions posed by manually engaging handheld devices,” said Arnd Weil, vice president and general manager, automotive, Nuance. “By integrating Dragon Drive! Messaging into the car itself, BMW and Nuance are delivering a smarter, safer way to communicate.”

Dragon Drive! Messaging is available as part of Nuance’s Dragon Drive! highly-specialized hybrid automotive-grade platform that fully harnesses Nuance’s deep experience and research in connected and embedded natural language understanding voice technologies. Drivers can interact naturally with their car, minimizing manual and visual distractions.

In addition to the dictation functionality, the new BMW Navigation system Professional also features natural command and control for almost all functions, powered by Nuance. Drivers can quickly and easily speak one-shot commands for phone calls and navigation, such as “Call John Miller on Mobile” or “Navigate to 100 Boylston Street in Boston, Massachusetts.”

Availability

Dragon Drive! Messaging will be available in BMW vehicles starting in July 2012 in six different languages, including US and UK English, French, Italian, German and Spanish. BMW buyers can test Dragon Drive! Messaging for free for 60 days. Once the trial period expires, Dragon Drive! Messaging will be available as a Nuance service with annual renewal option. To learn more about Dragon Drive! Messaging for BMW, visit www.nuance.com/bmw. To find a list of compatible devices for BMW ConnectedDrive supporting Dragon Drive! Messaging, visit www.bmw.com/bluetooth.

Dragon Drive! is a part of Nuance’s broad Dragon portfolio, including Dragon NaturallySpeaking, Dragon Dictation, Dragon Go!, Dragon TV and Dragon ID, all humanizing the way people engage their phones, tablets, TVs, cars and computers – just by using their voice. To learn more about all that Nuance’s Dragon portfolio has to offer, visit www.nuance.com and www.nuancemobilelife.com.

About Nuance Communications, Inc

Nuance Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUAN) is a leading provider of voice and language solutions for businesses and consumers around the world. Its technologies, applications and services make the user experience more compelling by transforming the way people interact with devices and systems. Every day, millions of users and thousands of businesses experience Nuance’s proven applications. For more information, please visit www.nuance.com.

Nuance and the Nuance logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Nuance Communications, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States of America and/or other countries. All other company names or product names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

The statements in this press release relating to future plans or future events or service, are forward-looking statements which are subject to specific risks and uncertainties. These could involve particular market trends, competition factors and other risks described in the documents submitted to the US Securities and Exchange Commission. The actual results, events and services may vary significantly from the forecasts. The reader is warned not to rely on these forward-looking statements without reservation, since these are simply reflections of the current situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #54
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

LOL at paying for it though...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #55
Haarschmerzen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i xdrive

Ok! now the question is: Why should someone use Dragon Drive when you have to pay a fee? Iphone Siri does it all for free. I'd rather have a siri button on my steering wheel... Any news on that?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #56
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
That is a fair point.

However, they are able to use the new system to pimp the hybrid 3 so they must have a reasonable confidence level that it has been sufficiently quality tested. I think people ordering F30s from July onwards are being unfairly discriminated against. They are still expected to pay top Dollar for the media package but they get the old technology.
I think my point is that the System/Integration Testing for the Active Hybrid 3 wasn't on the same time frame as the regular F30. They were able to integrate the new Navigation system within the testing for the AH3, but they are unable to redo the testing for the regular F30 until later this year. It's all about resources and scheduling.
      07-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #57
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

The Active Hybrid won't be available until november either on most markets. So it is only the US that is affected by this.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #58
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
I highly doubt that they would install the new system for free or at a very low cost. Your option 3 seems the most plausible for you. If this is something that is really important to you, then I would wait for look at the new ATS.

I have a 2012 328i, and frankly, I do not see what the big deal is. I love my iDrive as it is now, I am completely satisfied with it. Would it be awesome and cool to have the new system? Of course, but I learned a long time ago that technology changes so quickly that it is impossible to keep up. When I placed my ED order in January, I went through a few days where I thought about waiting for various reasons, but my spouse convinced me to stick with my order because there is always going to be something newer and greater. I am glad I did, as two weeks before my redelivery, my old car was destroyed by an uninsured driver, so I would have needed a new car anyways.

Just like computers, cell phones, iPads, TVs, etc., new technology will be introduced no matter how new your product is. I think it would be awesome to have live radar on the nav or a wireless chip, but lets be honest, I didn't buy a BMW for the nav system. Japanese car makers have had these upgrades in their cars for years, but there is a reason why I chose BMW over their superior nav technology. For MY2013 buyers, if you can wait it out, then I would. Honestly though, I do not think that it is worth fretting about. You still are going to get a very capable nav system. When you purchase your car, you are getting the most up-to-date technology at that time, for that day, for that month. There will always be something newer and better (like the new iDrive touchpad control unit). You will never be happy with your car if you continually compare it to new models and newer technology.
I don't see any point in holding off an order for something newer/better that may be coming, but if the new features have been announced and the date set then for sure I would wait, or I'd feel shortchanged, as with these iDrive/Nav updates for late 2013 models.

I think the touchpad in the top of the iDrive controller will be a great feature as I do find it a pain to scroll through the whole list for tel no's, NAV destinations, etc..

I'm really glad I got an early 2012 model (one of the first in Seattle) and have been having great fun with it since Feb. Really glad I leased this time as well so in 30 months I'll be picking up a new one (LCI model hopefully), or whichever competitor looks the best to me at the time...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #59
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

I would never base my purchase of a $40,000+ car on what version of a nav is in the car. These things are starting to have life cycles like cell phones. Those people waiting for this next gen idrive will be wanting the next gen that will undoubtedly come out 18-24 months after they purchase their 11/12 2013 car. This nation has become technology chasers. The tech companies love it. People ditching year old technology for the latest and greatest. If I lived in my car and the iDrive was essential to my everyday routine, sure, I'd base my purchase on when the fancy new gen of iDrive was released. I just think this version thing is silly. Though BMW doesn't make it any easier when the next gen technology release lags the actual model release. They can't design and engineer this stuff concurrently? Seems odd that 11/12 2013 models get the new iDrive and not the 06/12 2013 models. Five months? Really? Doesn't it make more sense to have the next gen nav in the next gen 11/11 2012 models? I wish BMW would match releases with model years straight out the gate. makes things a lot easier. Watch. It will come down to which month your car was built if you get the new tail lights or the updated instrument cluster, etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #60
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I would never base my purchase of a $40,000+ car on what version of a nav is in the car. These things are starting to have life cycles like cell phones. Those people waiting for this next gen idrive will be wanting the next gen that will undoubtedly come out 18-24 months after they purchase their 11/12 2013 car. This nation has become technology chasers. The tech companies love it. People ditching year old technology for the latest and greatest. If I lived in my car and the iDrive was essential to my everyday routine, sure, I'd base my purchase on when the fancy new gen of iDrive was released. I just think this version thing is silly. Though BMW doesn't make it any easier when the next gen technology release lags the actual model release. They can't design and engineer this stuff concurrently? Seems odd that 11/12 2013 models get the new iDrive and not the 06/12 2013 models. Five months? Really? Doesn't it make more sense to have the next gen nav in the next gen 11/11 2012 models? I wish BMW would match releases with model years straight out the gate. makes things a lot easier. Watch. It will come down to which month your car was built if you get the new tail lights or the updated instrument cluster, etc. etc.
I agree - that's the kicker for me. Either include for all cars produced in that model year, or hold off and include as a next MY production. Mid-production introduction is what is pissing everyone off here... software releases are fine (as everyone is "elligible") ... any hardware related ... postpone ... get your SH*T together BMW...
      07-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #61
martianpc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
I agree - that's the kicker for me. Either include for all cars produced in that model year, or hold off and include as a next MY production. Mid-production introduction is what is pissing everyone off here... software releases are fine (as everyone is "elligible") ... any hardware related ... postpone ... get your SH*T together BMW...

Couldn't agree more. July -Oct builds are honestly being screwed over big time. We are all paying the same price for what is suppose to be the same product.
      07-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #62
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep

As technology becomes more prevalent and heavily integrated in vehicles, gone are the days when a manufacturer can simply "drop in" a new Navigation system. For those that are whining and complaining about feeling short-changed, you really need to spend some time "under the hood" in the coding area to understand how large-scale of a change this really is. Information Technology integration is not something that is taken lightly at BMW, nor should it be. In the end, it's quality that counts, not "fast to market". With all of the safety and mechanical systems that are integrated into iDrive now, there are multiple regulatory reasons that these things can't just be pushed mid-cycle.

Unfortunately, this new system was not ready for the launch of the F30, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to do the launch of the F30 AH3 with older equipment when newer stuff is available. This isn't some conspiracy against 2012 and early 2013 buyers (I myself am one of those as well), it's just the reality of resources and schedules.

Would you all prefer that they just hold off on implementing the new Navigation system in the F30 until 2014? Or were you thinking that BMW should give you some sort of "I'm sorry that new technology came out" refund? Sheesh.
      07-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #63
martianpc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
As technology becomes more prevalent and heavily integrated in vehicles, gone are the days when a manufacturer can simply "drop in" a new Navigation system. For those that are whining and complaining about feeling short-changed, you really need to spend some time "under the hood" in the coding area to understand how large-scale of a change this really is. Information Technology integration is not something that is taken lightly at BMW, nor should it be. In the end, it's quality that counts, not "fast to market". With all of the safety and mechanical systems that are integrated into iDrive now, there are multiple regulatory reasons that these things can't just be pushed mid-cycle.

Unfortunately, this new system was not ready for the launch of the F30, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to do the launch of the F30 AH3 with older equipment when newer stuff is available. This isn't some conspiracy against 2012 and early 2013 buyers (I myself am one of those as well), it's just the reality of resources and schedules.

Would you all prefer that they just hold off on implementing the new Navigation system in the F30 until 2014? Or were you thinking that BMW should give you some sort of "I'm sorry that new technology came out" refund? Sheesh.
Would you all prefer that they just hold off on implementing the new Navigation system in the F30 until 2014?

-Yes, I would prefer that. Why should my 2013 not be as nice as someone who bought their 2013 3 months later. Keep model years uniform, introduce features and updates as part of MY changes. Gosh, selling this thing someday will be annoying... "So does this have the second gen iDrive or the older version?" --Resale will be lower for this alone.
      07-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #64
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martianpc View Post
Would you all prefer that they just hold off on implementing the new Navigation system in the F30 until 2014?

-Yes, I would prefer that.
How is this different from the CCC to CIC Navigation System conversion in 2008? I have a 2008 E92 with the CCC Navigation System (DVD-based) because it was early in the production year. The newer system came out later, and was installed in later production 2008 models. My car is worth no less because of this.

So again, this is not some conspiracy, and as it turns out, there's historical precedence with the E92 for this. I would like the new Navigation system, but I don't want everyone else that buys the car after November to have older technology just because I couldn't have it. There's a phrase for that: sour grapes.
      07-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #65
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

I think I made up my mind. I'm cancelling my order and changing it to November. Seems as though "official" MY changes take place in November in Europe (hence why BMW is actually releasing it then and not now).

Here's how I rationalize it. Technology is changing at such a fast pace now, yes, however the last tech change to iDrive was in 2008. I plan on keeping my car for 4-5 years, which would mean that by its last year, my iDrive system would be close to 10 years old. A LOT will have changed in that time frame from a tech perspective.

Also, given that Apple has been working w/ BMW integration (via Siri) and new inclusions via OS6, you can rest assured that all significant capability integration and third party support will require the NEW idrive system (there's very little reason to implement new technology into old systems, as there's no incremental revenue incentive to do so. However, you can be sure there will continue to be new releases and advancements to the new iDrive system over the next few years to keep the tech "fresh".

I can't rationalize not waiting 4 months to get a car that will be better suited for technological support for years to come vs. buying a car that is essentially obselete from a tech perspective. Yes, iDrive is pretty snazzy as it is, but we don't know what's coming, and I know that the next "cool" integration that comes down the pipe will require the new platform (take "Nuance" for example).

I say to each their own. I'm buying this car for the performace, but I also like my tech. For that reason - I'm waiting.
      07-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #66
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
Yessssssssssssssssssss. That's only 12 months away. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread