F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Valet Lock Can be Circumvented
GetBMWParts

03-20-2017, 12:25 AM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Valet Lock Can be Circumvented

Hello All,

I found this flaw on the F30 Valet Locking System. On my car you can circumvent the valet lock. This is due to the fact that the center pass through isn't lockable. So even if you move the switch to the lock position in the glove box and then lock the glove box, you can reach in through the pass through to lower the rear seats. There was a posting on the forum saying your access would be limited to just the area around the pass through, but I found that I could reach the levers inside the trunk to lower both rear seats, allowing unrestricted access to the trunk. You can even pop the trunk lid by reaching the emergency glow in the dark lever all while the valet system is engaged. It does not matter that the driver's side trunk release and the key fob trunk release are disabled. BMW needs to include a lockable pass through like other manufacturers have to solve this problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:56 AM   #2
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Hello All,

I found this flaw on the F30 Valet Locking System. On my car you can circumvent the valet lock. This is due to the fact that the center pass through isn't lockable. So even if you move the switch to the lock position in the glove box and then lock the glove box, you can reach in through the pass through to lower the rear seats. There was a posting on the forum saying your access would be limited to just the area around the pass through, but I found that I could reach the levers inside the trunk to lower both rear seats, allowing unrestricted access to the trunk. You can even pop the trunk lid by reaching the emergency glow in the dark lever all while the valet system is engaged. It does not matter that the driver's side trunk release and the key fob trunk release are disabled. BMW needs to include a lockable pass through like other manufacturers have to solve this problem.
FYI Guilia does the same.

Does A4/C-class have lockable pass through?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:58 AM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
FYI Guilia does the same.

Does A4/C-class have lockable pass through?
I don't know. I believe Infiniti does. My Toyota does, so I believe Lexus does also. Not sure if it's a European thing or just BMW and Maserati. Seems like something that would be obvious. The other option is to make the pass through opened from the trunk side rather than the passenger cabin, like the rear seats.

Last edited by bimmer456; 03-20-2017 at 01:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:16 AM   #4
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I don't know. I believe Infiniti does. My Toyota does, so I believe Lexus does also. Not sure if it's a European thing or just BMW and Maserati. Seems like something that would be obvious. The other option is to make the pass through opened from the trunk side rather than the passenger cabin, like the rear seats.
Good point. BTW Model S also has similar issues. The Tesla sales says Model S valet mode disables front trunk and glove box, while rear trunk access is not disabled.

BTW, my old E39 has fold-down 40/60 lockable from cabin, and the panel to open the pass through is accessed from the trunk. The change to put fold down release levers in trunk is for Euro safety requirement.

So maybe Munich engineers figure all valuables can fit in glove box?!?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:26 AM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Good point. BTW Model S also has similar issues. The Tesla sales says Model S valet mode disables front trunk and glove box, while rear trunk access is not disabled.

BTW, my old E39 has fold-down 40/60 lockable from cabin, and the panel to open the pass through is accessed from the trunk. The change to put fold down release levers in trunk is for Euro safety requirement.

So maybe Munich engineers figure all valuables can fit in glove box?!?
There's no point in even having a valet lock if it can be easily circumvented, might as well not even include it and save the cost. The new Toyotas explicitly don't have a valet locking trunk, only the glove box can be locked, but they did that intentionally. This is obviously a design flaw. To be honest, if I can only have one or the other, I'd rather have the trunk lockable as I could just put whatever is in the glovebox in the trunk before handing the fob to the parking attendant.

Also, on Tesla it's a hatchback design so you can't really lock the trunk which makes sense unless you have some sort of cover that's solid that you can lock. It also makes it possible to have the extra row of backward facing child seats. It's like a large 3 series touring, or maybe 7 series GT if one existed as I think they're quite large.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
Slickz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4

Are you really worried about the valet stealing something
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickz View Post
Are you really worried about the valet stealing something
No but they advertise this as a security feature in a how to video that doesn't do as advertised. I usually don't even lock the glovebox when I bring my car in for service. That's really the only thing you can lock.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 520i (Stock)

I wish bmw had valet mode like the hellcat
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Nothing is "bullet-proof" given time and opportunity, but the Valet system does offer minimal protection that otherwise is missing. i typically use it when having car detailed and is out of my sight of brief periods of time or shopping.

Its better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

I don't have this issue since I don't have fold down seats lol
      03-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
I don't have this issue since I don't have fold down seats lol
Do you have the pass thru? You could still reach in far enough to pop the trunk if you do using the green emergency trunk release.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Nothing is "bullet-proof" given time and opportunity, but the Valet system does offer minimal protection that otherwise is missing. i typically use it when having car detailed and is out of my sight of brief periods of time or shopping.

Its better than nothing.
I leave them unlocked and leave my valuables at home if I'm concerned about theft. I don't have anything that valuable in the car and they can vacuum the trunk if they have access. Also, when the car is serviced they need to access the glove box to replace the cabin air filter. But I could be wrong about this as I know the process is a little different in the f30 than most other automobiles.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

If you are seriously that paranoid about the valet, you shouldn't be using that location.

As a general rule I don't valet. I've seen too many horror stories. At work, some of the trucks have cameras that track through GPS and we have had several valet issues in the last year. The frequency at which it occurs is shocking and doesn't give me any comfort. When we bring it to their attention they are always shocked, apologize, and give us some gift certificate. It almost always happens again (especially airport Valet). We joke they just have templates they send out. Because it's a work truck no one cares, but wouldn't leave my personal car.
Appreciate 0