F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My experience with SA
Studio RSR

07-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
txnewbie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i soon

My experience with SA

Ok guys I wanted your take. I got on this thread when I decided to get the F30. I became excited, geeked out, read a lot and learned about tracking the car etc... After I asked them to place the order and they told me it had been placed I asked my SA for the VIN, or order no. He did not get back to me for 3-4 days. I asked him again after 2 days I believe. He told me the information was not available. At that point I texted him asking if he was lying about ordering it. He calls me and literally tells me he is not sure what he can do to make me happy, he is trying his best to make me happy and it just seems like I won't be happy. Really? You dont respond to me for several days and then lie about something and you wonder. Anyhow a quick call to the Sales Manager, I got the info in 5 minutes from the sales manager(oh that is what triggered the call from SA saying he is not sure what he can do to make me happy).... Even got the scheduled production week.

Ok another week or two later I got concerned that the order may have had a mistake with trim/accent because when I emailed the spec to myself via the online configurator it got the accents wrong. I contact SA, he tells me there is nothing to worry about their ordering guy does a great job there wont be a problem. He does not give me a vehicle inquiry report, he does even think about it etc...

Fast Forward now. Car is delivered. I had ordered everest grey interior, silver trim black accent. He sent a few pics, wrong accent(has silver trim red accent. The red strip was something I did not like when I first saw the car. I mention it (all via text and photo sent via text) His response, (my name), It's really sick. That is it. No apology, no we can take care of it. Just *subtext* 'why are you being difficult it looks great'...

Anyhow just curious what you guys thought. I am annoyed, thinking about talking with Sales Manager as it has made my experience a little crappier.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
If the car is not to your specification as a result of the dealer's error, then I'd say they're obliged to fix it (at no expense to you).

My other half ordered an Audi A4 Cabriolet back in 2002. After a 5 month wait it arrived but with the wrong satnav. She rejected the car and they had to order a new one which took another 3 months to arrive.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Reject the car, if you can stand the wait for a new one. Also, write a very strong letter to BMW head office with the name and details of the sales guy and get him fired for incompetence.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
bmwf30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 3351 xdrive Sedan

agree with the other posts. Do not sign off on the delivery. You did not spent all that money time effort and research to get an experience like this. The SAs blatant disregard for your concern and the mere "why are you being difficult" attitude alone should get him fired. Completely unacceptable. I know you waited a long time for the car but accepting is basically having them win for doing such a poor job. Demand to fix it before you put a penny out and get it in writing. Or refuse delivery and also tell them you are going to go to another dealer. Tell him to kiss his commission good-bye.
      07-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
txnewbie
Enlisted Member
Rep

I basically got the car at invoice, and had to deal with this SA because the one I was supposed to work with had people in from out of town. Also the deal was mainly with the Sales Manager and this guy was supposed to be the liason. Honestly I may like the red accent more, it was just hard to wrap my head around at first. But the way the guy acted is unacceptable, but no way I am not gonna drive my car because the guy was a pain. I have waited too damn long and it is my post bar exam gift. If I don't like the accent I will make them order the piece and install it when it comes in.

But good to hear the SA should not get a pass. I kind of feel like chain of command will work. Sales Manager respects my father a lot and likes me. I think it can be dealt with at that level, unless you guys really think going straight to BMW NA is the way to go?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
omarliendo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line - Red

I really applaud you for keeping your composure with that douche! I would have lost it. "Why are being so difficult"... I am being difficult because i am paying f@!# $50K for a car and it better be exactly the way i ordered it! Since you have everything in "writing", you are in your right to reject the car and if they need to order you a new one, they will need to give you a special discount for the inconvenience!! Fight for it and you will get it man; it will be worth it. Don't settle for something you do not like!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Always correspond via email (no text, no voice). This way everything is tracked (including pricing, delivery, options, etc). That way you always have a paper trail to support your cause (other wise you get into a "he said, she said" scenario).
      07-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
firatsirma
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnewbie View Post
Ok guys I wanted your take. I got on this thread when I decided to get the F30. I became excited, geeked out, read a lot and learned about tracking the car etc... After I asked them to place the order and they told me it had been placed I asked my SA for the VIN, or order no. He did not get back to me for 3-4 days. I asked him again after 2 days I believe. He told me the information was not available. At that point I texted him asking if he was lying about ordering it. He calls me and literally tells me he is not sure what he can do to make me happy, he is trying his best to make me happy and it just seems like I won't be happy. Really? You dont respond to me for several days and then lie about something and you wonder. Anyhow a quick call to the Sales Manager, I got the info in 5 minutes from the sales manager(oh that is what triggered the call from SA saying he is not sure what he can do to make me happy).... Even got the scheduled production week.
This is almost exactly what happened to me when I tried to order my F30 via a dealer in Luxembourg. Asked for the order no. several times, got no replies. I was so mad, I sent an e-mail to BMW Belux (they are overseeing BMW Luxembourg), cc'ed the SA and complained about her attitude.. The same day I received a reply from BMW Belux apologizing about what happened and I got all the answers I needed, even the scheduled production week and estimated delivery time! And when the car was ready, they contacted me immediately. So far everything's going smoothly, as it's meant to be..

I don’t get why these things happen in the first place. I can understand that people may live through difficult periods from time to time but at the end of the day helping me with my purchase is the very definition of your job!

Anyway, my point is, I was so close to canceling my order and going Merc but I'm glad that things have turned out ok.. If they hadn’t, I would have certainly cancelled it.

Quote:

But good to hear the SA should not get a pass. I kind of feel like chain of command will work. Sales Manager respects my father a lot and likes me. I think it can be dealt with at that level, unless you guys really think going straight to BMW NA is the way to go?
Hey, don’t feel that you have to play nice with these guys. They’re selling, you’re buying, it’s business! If you go to BMW NA with this, you’ll be just complaining about a wrong attitude and there's nothing wrong with that. I’m not saying it should cost the guy his job, but he definitely needs a serious lesson.

As the previous posters said, they should know that this kind attitude and incompetence come with consequences!
It's ready, but I'm not there yet: Mineral grey 320i Luxury. Sport auto, sensatec venetobeige, professional satnav, servotronic, PDC, cruise control, xenon headlights, headlight wash, rain sensor with auto headlight.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
Instead of rejecting the car outright, simply ask the dealer to replace the accent and trim piece at their expense. Sure, it sounds like the SA was being an apathetic jerk who did little to nothing to earn your business, but why should you have to wait another 2 - 3 months because of it? Correspond with the Sales Manager, express your concern, and request that henceforth all of your dealings are directly with him/her.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Radari216
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Keep the car. Have the dealer change the trim to what you ordered. Get service at another dealer if you are that unhappy. Done!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
This car salesman sounds more like someone who would work at Toyota or Hyundai. He just wants you to accept the car so he doesn't have to wait another 2-3 months for his commission. I would do what others have suggested by merely having the trim replaced at the dealership's expense. But I wouldn't take this lightly as BMW hates when one person tarnishes their standard of quality when it comes to customer service.
      07-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
I kind of feel like chain of command will work. Sales Manager respects my father a lot and likes me. I think it can be dealt with at that level, unless you guys really think going straight to BMW NA is the way to go?
There you go. You have answered your question within your answer. Just take it up the chain of command a step at a time. Probably by now you will have sorted your issue and enjoying your car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #13
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

Ok another week or two later I got concerned that the order may have had a mistake with trim/accent because when I emailed the spec to myself via the online configurator it got the accents wrong. I contact SA, he tells me there is nothing to worry about their ordering guy does a great job there wont be a problem. He does not give me a vehicle inquiry report, he does even think about it etc...

Fast Forward now. Car is delivered. I had ordered everest grey interior, silver trim black accent. He sent a few pics, wrong accent(has silver trim red accent. The red strip was something I did not like when I first saw the car. I mention it (all via text and photo sent via text) His response, (my name), It's really sick. That is it. No apology, no we can take care of it. Just *subtext* 'why are you being difficult it looks great'...

Anyhow just curious what you guys thought. I am annoyed, thinking about talking with Sales Manager as it has made my experience a little crappier.
SA sounds like an ass.

You even asked to get the inquiry report to verify your order specs, and they told you it'll be fine.
Well, as you know, it's not fine.

Seems the only, luckily, issue is the red trim.
They should be able to order the black trim piece easily enough, and they should pay for it.

You may find you like the red though.
If you get the black trim, you can put the red trim up for sale.
I get dibs if you do.
My Msport didn't have an option for the red trim.
My car is melbourne red with black leather, the red trim may look nice in there.

Now go drive your car!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
txnewbie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
SA sounds like an ass.

You even asked to get the inquiry report to verify your order specs, and they told you it'll be fine.
Well, as you know, it's not fine.

Seems the only, luckily, issue is the red trim.
They should be able to order the black trim piece easily enough, and they should pay for it.

You may find you like the red though.
If you get the black trim, you can put the red trim up for sale.
I get dibs if you do.
My Msport didn't have an option for the red trim.
My car is melbourne red with black leather, the red trim may look nice in there.

Now go drive your car!
HAHA you got it! I still have exactly 8 days to go before I pick it up. It came in on the 11th, but I restrained myself from driving from Austin to San Antonio to pick it up. Have the bar exam next Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. Then Friday pick her up for the marathon I just ran for the past two months. I am completely excited and exhausted.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
The things you ask for are automatic at my dealership. I have a very good relationship with my SA and have ordered 3 cars from him. I get email updates on new products, when my cars are at various progress points and so forth. I did seek this relationship and drive to the next largest city because my local dealership is like what you describe. Seek out better people.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
vgp
Vern
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 328ix M Sport on order

I would do all future dealings thru the sales manager. Its ok to have them get the parts and install them and I would give them the chance. However, i would ask for money back for your inconvenience and it should come from the SA's commission. Why should he be paid for doing a poor job?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
omar_liendo
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Melbourne Red

Deal with the Manager, that guy does not deserve to work there!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
This is another reason why everyone should demand a copy of their Vehicle Inquiry Report, which specifically lists every option and specification ordered. The trim was a bit tricky to order in MY2012, I am not sure if it has changed for MY2013. I know that I also specified brushed aluminum trim with black highlight when my dealer entered the order. However, the system must default to the red highlight trim as this showed up on my VIR. Luckily, my dealer sent me the VIR after every change and I noticed the error and he corrected it. Without me looking carefully, I don't think anyone would have ever noticed.

As for me, my suggestion would be to really make sure that this is the car that you want. If you like the red trim, then great. However, if it isn't the car that you ordered, I would definitely make them fix it at no cost to you. If they don't want to fix it, I wouldn't take delivery of the car.

Good luck on the bar exam next week. It sounds like you are well prepared, I am sure you will do great. Also, remember that you are going to be a licensed attorney in a few months, so do not be afraid to use that to your advantage in any negotiations.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
Also, remember that you are going to be a licensed attorney in a few months, so do not be afraid to use that to your advantage in any negotiations.
Please don't. There is little so obnoxious, and so laughably pathetic, as a newly minted lawyer with only a bit of theoretical book understanding and no experience.

Polite, firm, and appropriately accommodating will obtain what you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #20
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Please don't. There is little so obnoxious, and so laughably pathetic, as a newly minted lawyer with only a bit of theoretical book understanding and no experience.

Polite, firm, and appropriately accommodating will obtain what you want.
I would have totally agreed with you a few years ago. However, recently I have noticed that being polite gets me nowhere. As odd as it sounds, I am a lawyer that dislikes confrontation and try to avoid it whenever possible. I think all problems can be worked out amicably. I don't know if it is because I am perceived as kind or a pushover, but until I am threatening to sue, nothing gets done. I agree, you have to choose your battles wisely and you shouldn't immediately say, "I am a lawyer and am going to sue," but as a last resort, I am never afraid to prepare a lawsuit to get what I need done.

For example, I recently purchased a new Porsche 911 and the car was delivered in March without options that I paid for and were on the sticker. It was a total manufacturing screwup by Porsche, which I thought was unacceptable for a car with a sticker price of over $140,000. However, my dealer told me that he contacted Porsche and that they would have the parts for me in 8-10 weeks. I waited ten weeks and nothing. So I contacted my dealer who again told me there was nothing that they could do, Porsche just says they will be "on their way." I wrote letters and called Porsche NA and haven't even gotten a response. Thus, now, I find no other option but a lawsuit. I am not afraid to use my training and expertise to get what I deserve, the options that I have paid cash for, but have not received.

To the OP, it is never a good idea to use the lawyer card right off the bat, I totally agree. However, you have spent three years in law school and will most likely pass the bar, you have earned the right to properly defend yourself in getting what you ordered and paid for.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
As odd as it sounds, I am a lawyer that dislikes confrontation and try to avoid it whenever possible. I think all problems can be worked out amicably.
Not odd at all; typically the best and most effective lawyers are polite and amiable. They do not need to intimidate through bad behavior.

Your approach is appropriate. A threat of legal action is to be reserved until reasonable approaches fail. At that point we have legal mechanisms designed to resolve such issues.

(My background is patent litigation, pharmaceutical class actions, etc.)
Appreciate 0