F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My 335 in 10 inches of snow
ARMA SPEED

12-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5MC; '97 M3

We got about a foot of snow in the Twin Cities last night and throughout the day and I was really impressed with how the Xdrive performs. Braking was fine but moving through all that snow was great.

10 inches was no problem

Here's a picture of my camouflaged car haha

Pirelli cinturato p7 tires. Stock all season

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
toughluck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

I had to stare at the photo for 5 seconds before I found your car, haha J/K. Drive safe
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

you beat me to it...was always want to see how my xi works a week ago when there was snow in forecast. it turned out to be 0.5 in..busted.

BTW, do you have snow on or with the all-seasons come with your ride?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep

1. sorry for posting it in the wrong section; new to the forum

2. howiegu, these are the stock all season tires that came with the car and they performed very well. the Xdrive is able to compensate very well for any slippage that might occur. I was in a dead stop in about 10 inches of powderly snow and had some trouble getting traction so I just reversed a foot and then plowed forward.

i was very impressed with it going up a windy, steep driveway as well. Looks like i'll be fine with this car in the winter here in MN. the reason I gave up my GTI was to get something that could handle the winters here but still be really fun to drive. I think I've found the complete package
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I got caught in a decent snow the other day, ~2 in. Still have the summer staggered on...xdrive did awesome...finally getting winter tires on next week.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Awesome photo!............I took my old 2008 335xi skiing 2 years ago up the local mountain with all season tires on 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground and had absoultely no problem. The Xdrive system is very impressive in how you always get full instant traction in rain and snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

I think people around here tend to under-estimate how much AWD helps in really bad conditions because most BMWs are RWD. There is no substitute for good tires, but a good AWD system can really make life a lot easier in the snow. Snow tires and a good AWD system make you unstoppable in a way that RWD simply can't, there's a reason rally driving has gone entirely to AWD.

Obviously I'm biased, but I've owned good FWD and RWD cars, and all else being equal AWD crushes them any time you aren't driving in ideal conditions on smooth tarmac.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
gtabfknkdnme
5 Star General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBart View Post

10 inches was no problem

Here's a picture of my camouflaged car haha
that's what she said.

nice car
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'd still buy a set of winter tires. They are magic compared to all-season tires in the snow & ice. I live in Minnesota as well and I will never go back to all-seasons in the winter, regardless of what car I drive (RWD, FWD or AWD).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
I'd still buy a set of winter tires. They are magic compared to all-season tires in the snow & ice. I live in Minnesota as well and I will never go back to all-seasons in the winter, regardless of what car I drive (RWD, FWD or AWD).
I agree that in some parts of the US and Canada, winter tires are a must even with Xdrive! Here in Vancouver, we get on average maybe 2 days of snow on the road every year and the average winter daytime temperature is about 6 or 7 degrees celcius so all seasons with Xdrive is more than enough. If anything, with all the rain we get here in Vancouver you need a good rain tire here more than winter tires.......
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: F30 335i Soon: AMG

That's great to know. I'm also local and was wondering how the new xdrive would do in this weather. Thanks for answering that question.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep

No problem, Soolman. I hope you enjoy your F30 when you get it. PM if you need contact info to a sales guy near us. I was treated very well and got a great price
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: F30 335i Soon: AMG

Will do. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBart
these are the stock all season tires that came with the car
What brand and model all seasons came on yours? I'm in production now and will use the stock M sport 18's for winter, possibly year round if I'm satisfied with the look and winter performance. I have Conti all seasons now that I've been happy with. Really debated getting the all seasons that I might use or summers that I knew I wouldn't use, since the all seasons come with straight set up instead of staggered. if I end up putting 19's on for the summer, will be tempted to put Blizzaks on the 18's for winter.

Great pic, btw
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm
I think people around here tend to under-estimate how much AWD helps in really bad conditions because most BMWs are RWD. There is no substitute for good tires, but a good AWD system can really make life a lot easier in the snow. Snow tires and a good AWD system make you unstoppable in a way that RWD simply can't, there's a reason rally driving has gone entirely to AWD.

Obviously I'm biased, but I've owned good FWD and RWD cars, and all else being equal AWD crushes them any time you aren't driving in ideal conditions on smooth tarmac.
In snow yes. In rain. Meh. Glad its basically a drought in la.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #16
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Nice. AW. Are those wintertyres?(Style 397) I ordered them but not available atm. We had some snow here last week. A couple of inches.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
MNBart
Private
United_States
Rep

I will check later today to see what type of tires came with the car. To be honest, i have no idea. All i know is they're 18s

with so many cool features to the car that was the last thing i looked at haha
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

I donīt really get this with the "all-season" tyres, thereīs no such thing:

Tyres that are supposed to be optimized to winter conditions have softer rubber, running them during warmer temps gives you worse traction because they get too soft.

For warmer weather u need a harder rubber mix in and running THAT tyre in the winter is like driving with plastic wheels on.

A tyre thatīs supposed to be good during both conditions would work ok in a very narrow temperature span; but in the extremes it would just suck.

The "all-season" tyres are erally NOT supposed to be used all-season, theyīre winter tyres without studs and they just SUCK in warmer weather. Using them all year round also kills the rubber mix making them even more useless for both winter AND summer. Itīs simply a sales trick, "Hey, take this tyre that u can use all year round itīs sooooooooo convenient and you donīt have to throw more money on a second pair of wheels "

Guys, for your own safety, driving pleasure etc get yourself a proper SUMMER setup and leave the "all-seasons" for the winter. Seriously, think about it.

(just needed to vent a lil cause I just had this discussion with a guy)

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
I donīt really get this with the "all-season" tyres, thereīs no such thing:

Tyres that are supposed to be optimized to winter conditions have softer rubber, running them during warmer temps gives you worse traction because they get too soft.

For warmer weather u need a harder rubber mix in and running THAT tyre in the winter is like driving with plastic wheels on.

A tyre thatīs supposed to be good during both conditions would work ok in a very narrow temperature span; but in the extremes it would just suck.

The "all-season" tyres are erally NOT supposed to be used all-season, theyīre winter tyres without studs and they just SUCK in warmer weather. Using them all year round also kills the rubber mix making them even more useless for both winter AND summer. Itīs simply a sales trick, "Hey, take this tyre that u can use all year round itīs sooooooooo convenient and you donīt have to throw more money on a second pair of wheels "

Guys, for your own safety, driving pleasure etc get yourself a proper SUMMER setup and leave the "all-seasons" for the winter. Seriously, think about it.

(just needed to vent a lil cause I just had this discussion with a guy)
It depends what the seasons are like where you are. I'm sure that in Sweden using anything but real snow tires in the winter is brutally stupid. In places where snow is infrequent and light you have more margin of error in tire selection. Specialized tires are clearly the best for whatever season they're made for of course.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
It depends what the seasons are like where you are. I'm sure that in Sweden using anything but real snow tires in the winter is brutally stupid. In places where snow is infrequent and light you have more margin of error in tire selection. Specialized tires are clearly the best for whatever season they're made for of course.
You do have a valid point but on the other hand, if you live in a place with no "real" winter it would probably mean you live in a warmer climate and have hotter springs/summers/falls so during these season you would still want a tyre with characteristics optimized for those seasons ----> a real summer tyre. With an all-season setup you would still have a bad setup throughout these seasons, dont you think?

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

My vehicle came with all-season Pirellis. I'm hoping to add a summer set of wheels and tires (a wider set), and use my all-seasons in the winter until they wear out, when I'll replace with proper winter tires for winter.

I prefer using high performance tires when I can, and proper winter tires in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
Monkeycmonkeydo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i sedan

Reason 9,234 why I am glad I live in Southern California.
Appreciate 0