F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 smokes on startup after sitting
ARMA SPEED

06-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #45
stylus1133
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Brooklyn Grey M4 Manual

Garage List
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
I have a 2012 F30, and I noticed the same cold start smoking issue around 45K miles and under warranty. At first, the smoke was only noticeable after it was sitting for about a week. After I started noticing the smoke after it was sitting for a day or 2, I finally brought it in at around 48K miles for this issue, and after a Puma case, the dealer was instructed by BMW NA to replace the old feed pipe. After pipe was replaced, the smoking was gone... or so I thought.

Around 52K miles, I again started noticing the smoke after the car had been sitting for 3-5 days (my wife works from home, so both cars aren't driven daily). I brought it back to the dealer since the issue had returned even though the warranty was up. The dealer stated that they could not reproduce the issue even after the car had been sitting up to 3 days (which I do not believe). You almost have to have someone else start the car, because the smoking is usually immediate and you might miss it if you don't look immediately after start-up.

Anyway, I'm at around 60K miles now and the smoke is now there after sitting overnight. I brought it to another BMW dealer who was able to reproduce the smoke, and they deduced that the bearings inside the turbo was bad, leading to a mixture of oil and antifreeze to seep in. I did purchase an extended warranty with Warranty Solutions through the previous BMW dealer, and luckily, they authorized the turbo replacement. I did have to come out of pocket $100 for the deductible as well as ~$200 in hoses and clamps that were not covered. I paid about $2,700 for the 4 star coverage from Warranty Solutions, and in hindsight, it was well worth it, as the turbo replacement would have been easily a $4K repair out of pocket. On a side note, the dealer also discovered a cracked gasket in the engine compartment causing some oil leakage, which Warranty Solutions covered as well.

It is my opinion that the turbo should have been replaced to begin with by BMW under warranty in addition to the drainage pipe. I was lucky to have purchased an extended warranty that covered the turbo after warranty, and good luck to those out there that are not so lucky.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #46
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

My 2012 f30 did this for long time. But then i cant talk to bmw about it since i have hfc haha
And now its out of warranty. Even if they had recall, i dont know if they would do anything because of my hfc.

Just changed engine oil after 4000 miles and oil is so damn black. Either something wrong with engine or bmw used crap oil last time they did.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #47
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylus1133 View Post
It is my opinion that the turbo should have been replaced to begin with by BMW under warranty in addition to the drainage pipe. I was lucky to have purchased an extended warranty that covered the turbo after warranty, and good luck to those out there that are not so lucky.
Yeah, this entire situation is bullshit if you ask me. I think BMW have a much bigger problem on their hands than they like to admit. The forums represent a tiny fraction of the overall BMW population, and I'm willing to bet that the N20 turbo failure rate is higher than anyone would be comfortable with. It is a manufacturing defect, IMO.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #48
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

What happens if we let this crap turbo fart smoke for few more yrs?
Cause bad motor?
      06-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #49
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthis View Post
What happens if we let this crap turbo fart smoke for few more yrs?
Cause bad motor?
I wouldn't let it go too long. Oil leaks in to the compressor housing, and is sucked in to the engine on startup. That coats your intake with oil, including your intake valves. As your intake valves get hot, that oil will carbonize, and next thing you know, your fuel economy starts to suffer, and you'll need an intake port cleaning to add to your turbocharger replacement bill.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #50
NikBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

Anyone taken this problem to an Indy shop out of warranty? How much is it going to run me? I have a 2013 328i 70k kms and it's starting the smoke after sitting 12 hours.

Thanks,
Nik
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #51
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Some updated info for anyone tracking this thread. I just received a letter today indicating that BMW has extended the warranty on the "Engine Oil Feed Line" to 10 years / 120,000 miles for our N20 equipped 2013 X3 28i. What's frustrating is that there is no mention of the turbocharger itself.

I found a pretty interesting blog post by a BMW technician that explains why this is so frustrating:

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/05/16/n20-turbo-update/

If you check the comments, you'll note that the technician remarks that it's a 50% chance that the engine oil feed line will actually fix the smoking issue. While I appreciate BMW's acknowledgement of the issue, this is a half-measure. We deserve warranty protection from the entire fault, not just the less expensive component.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #52
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Is something like this covered under CPO?
I really want to take it in for a check but since i have a HFC, im scared that they will just make excuses like HfC is the problem LoL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Some updated info for anyone tracking this thread. I just received a letter today indicating that BMW has extended the warranty on the "Engine Oil Feed Line" to 10 years / 120,000 miles for our N20 equipped 2013 X3 28i. What's frustrating is that there is no mention of the turbocharger itself.

I found a pretty interesting blog post by a BMW technician that explains why this is so frustrating:

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/05/16/n20-turbo-update/

If you check the comments, you'll note that the technician remarks that it's a 50% chance that the engine oil feed line will actually fix the smoking issue. While I appreciate BMW's acknowledgement of the issue, this is a half-measure. We deserve warranty protection from the entire fault, not just the less expensive component.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:23 PM   #53
xroshx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30

So after I bought my CPO 2013 BMW 320i with 30k miles on it. For a few days I didn't drive it and white smoke would come out of it when I would turn it on. So the next day I turned it on no smoke. So hmm..Leave it to sit for a few days again BAM white smoke again. This was like a week or two after I bought it. Literally drove like 50-100 miles maybe. I took it in explained what I read on the forum. What do you know they called me today "Turbo Oil Line Leaking"..I'm pissed because they didn't know this when they fucking certified this car. The dealer said they run a car through a bunch of test before being certifying..

ANYWAYS they fixed everything for free under CPO all I had to pay was 50$ for some b.s cpo fee. everything is running perfect
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #54
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is something like this covered under CPO?
I really want to take it in for a check but since i have a HFC, im scared that they will just make excuses like HfC is the problem LoL.
It's covered under BMW CPO extended warranty. Does your car smoke? If it doesn't smoke, you don't need to go in. If it does smoke, I'd get it fixed. You don't want your car ingesting oil on every startup.

Given the close relationship between the turbocharger and the downpipe/HFC, I'd probably put the stock one back on before taking it in. No way I'd risk a several-thousand dollar repair getting flagged as denied over an HFC.

If you do take it in with the HFC installed, be sure to read up on Magnuson-Moss before you go in, so you'll know the magic phrases to let them know you won't be dicked around.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #55
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xroshx View Post
So after I bought my CPO 2013 BMW 320i with 30k miles on it. For a few days I didn't drive it and white smoke would come out of it when I would turn it on. So the next day I turned it on no smoke. So hmm..Leave it to sit for a few days again BAM white smoke again. This was like a week or two after I bought it. Literally drove like 50-100 miles maybe. I took it in explained what I read on the forum. What do you know they called me today "Turbo Oil Line Leaking"..I'm pissed because they didn't know this when they fucking certified this car. The dealer said they run a car through a bunch of test before being certifying..

ANYWAYS they fixed everything for free under CPO all I had to pay was 50$ for some b.s cpo fee. everything is running perfect
To be fair, this is the kind of thing you can't identify without pulling the turbocharger loose at the wastegate, and even then, you can only identify it if the car has been sitting long enough for the oil to leak into the turbo. It's the kind of thing only an owner will notice after the car sits. When some dealer employee goes and starts the car to move it or bring it into a bay, they're not necessarily going to spot a puff of smoke from the rear.

Still frustrating, and frustrating that BMW aren't covering the full turbocharger under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #56
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' 340i xDrive M-Sport

Could you ask/force your dealer to do a valve walnut blasting? Since the car technically burns oil because of a warranty issue, shouldnt they be cleaning the mess (although walnut blasting is not needed, its a good thing to do)?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #57
xroshx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
To be fair, this is the kind of thing you can't identify without pulling the turbocharger loose at the wastegate, and even then, you can only identify it if the car has been sitting long enough for the oil to leak into the turbo. It's the kind of thing only an owner will notice after the car sits. When some dealer employee goes and starts the car to move it or bring it into a bay, they're not necessarily going to spot a puff of smoke from the rear.

Still frustrating, and frustrating that BMW aren't covering the full turbocharger under warranty.
I filmed it and showed them. This is also reoccurring problem from 2012-2015 in all F30s. Anyways they fixed it and now it doesn't smoke up anymore Thank god for warrantys..
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #58
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivef30 View Post
Could you ask/force your dealer to do a valve walnut blasting? Since the car technically burns oil because of a warranty issue, shouldnt they be cleaning the mess (although walnut blasting is not needed, its a good thing to do)?
Your only chance of getting that done would be if the car exhibits some kind of symptom. If the problem is repaired quickly, the effects won't be that great. If it goes un-repaired for months or years, that's when you'd run into trouble.

Although, pulling the intake and having a look is really the only way to say for sure. It's always surprising to me how reality fails to meet expectations. I've pulled apart motors that I would have sworn would be a mess on the inside, only to find they're practically spotless. You just never know until you look.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #59
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I filmed it and showed them. This is also reoccurring problem from 2012-2015 in all F30s. Anyways they fixed it and now it doesn't smoke up anymore Thank god for warrantys..
Did they replace oil line feed or something to do with the turbo? I have an appt next month but my car only does it after sitting for 6-7days. So not sure how to prove it to them, I have a video recorded of my car however, and i made sure to film the current miles, and my licence plate to have proof of the situation. Do you think they would approve warranty work this way?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #60
xroshx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did they replace oil line feed or something to do with the turbo? I have an appt next month but my car only does it after sitting for 6-7days. So not sure how to prove it to them, I have a video recorded of my car however, and i made sure to film the current miles, and my licence plate to have proof of the situation. Do you think they would approve warranty work this way?
Yes they replaced a bunch of things on mine idk what exactly as I don't remember deff something to do with the oil line and turbo but they will fix it even if you don't show a video I'm pretty sure. It would be nice to have evidence but they will know if its leaking or not. Just let them know you've researched what you think it is and they'll look into it. It's a free fix if you have warranty not sure if you do or not..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #61
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes they replaced a bunch of things on mine idk what exactly as I don't remember deff something to do with the oil line and turbo but they will fix it even if you don't show a video I'm pretty sure. It would be nice to have evidence but they will know if its leaking or not. Just let them know you've researched what you think it is and they'll look into it. It's a free fix if you have warranty not sure if you do or not..
I luckily still do have warranty till Jan, 2018. So I just have to pay a 50 cpo warranty deductible or nothing at all (Ive read some people got a recall paper for this, and as a recall it would be free) Not that it matters, as 50$ is dirt cheap for a BMW repair xD ?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #62
xroshx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I luckily still do have warranty till Jan, 2018. So I just have to pay a 50 cpo warranty deductible or nothing at all (Ive read some people got a recall paper for this, and as a recall it would be free) Not that it matters, as 50$ is dirt cheap for a BMW repair xD ?
Ya the 50$ is really over grand worth of parts lol. very worth! Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #63
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes! I have cpo warranty until next year!
I do have to pay $60 deductible.
What should i do with the hfc..
I installed it myself with a friend before and it was a pain..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #64
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes! I have cpo warranty until next year!
I do have to pay $60 deductible.
What should i do with the hfc..
I installed it myself with a friend before and it was a pain..
Read this thread: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1333746

Also, if I could ask a favor of you, that'd be cool. These kinds of threads — i.e., "will BMW deny my warranty claim because of X" — tend to get mired down in the same old disagreements. The risk evaluation is up to you, but I'm going to give it to you straight: the downpipe is directly attached to the turbocharger, and BMW routinely denies drivetrain warranty claims for downpipe modifications. See quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
My local dealer gave me hella crap for the downpipe. Said my car was "flagged" and they refuse to work on it even if it's something completely unrelated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
That's because the car sent data to BMWNA via FASTA and it is BMWNA that flagged your car. Another dealer can't override the flag and they won't get reimbursed for the repair.

The dealer should be able to warranty unrelated items however.

Pay to play.
Ultimately, no one can tell you whether BMW will/won't deny your claim, because every claim is made on a different day at a different dealer, touched by different people. All they can do is tell you about what they've experienced, and what they've seen. So consider that the cost of the turbocharger replacement is thousands of dollars, and consider that many, many people have had warranty claims denied for modified downpipes. Then again, luck may be on your side. Buy a lottery ticket just to be safe.

The favor I'd ask is that this thread not get turned into another one of these arguments over whether or not BMW will deny/admit your warranty claim. The information is already out there. Please go check it out
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #65
xroshx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Just replace everything back to stock! You'll be fine if you have warranty. Just to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #66
whoisthis
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. I will have to go back to stock
Just a last question, HFC has nothing to do with white smoke?
I cant remember if white cloud happened before swapping to hfc 🤔 haha
Appreciate 0