F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 4 Series DVD Movie Playback?
proTUNING Freaks

07-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Question 4 Series DVD Movie Playback?

Hi guys, those of you already with your 4 Series, can someone tell me if you can play DVD Movies?

If so, does it depend on what BMW Radio? Do you have to have the larger screen to do so?
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

I know not probably when you are driving, but wanted to see if it was possible when stopped. Anyone?
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You may want to search the Nav, Audio, Video section. There are about 278 threads on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Tony M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 428i Coupe

I tried it with the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD the first night I got the car, mainly to see what the HK sound system was like. It worked fine (I have the wide screen).

I haven't bothered to try it with any other DVD's. I just accept that it plays DVD's as expected. I'm too paranoid about flattening the battery to settle in and watch the latest feature movie in the garage, as much as I'd love to.

BTW, I like the HK sound system at highish volumes, but it is less impressive at low volumes. There seem to be a few very high frequencies that are over-accentuated (eg the cymbals on some tracks I know very well and listen to often on a high(ish)- end home audio system are more prominent than they should be). I suspect a somewhat ragged treble FR at lower volumes, but I haven't explored it in detail yet. Maybe playing with the settings will improve things, but I don't see the car as an ideal audio listening environment in any case.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
Hi guys, those of you already with your 4 Series, can someone tell me if you can play DVD Movies?

If so, does it depend on what BMW Radio? Do you have to have the larger screen to do so?
The 4-Series is able to play DVD's only if you have the Navigation Screen. (The larger one.) Looking at your order in your signature, I don't think you opted for the Navigation, so thus is will not be able to play DVD's or USB Videos.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
I haven't bothered to try it with any other DVD's. I just accept that it plays DVD's as expected. I'm too paranoid about flattening the battery to settle in and watch the latest feature movie in the garage, as much as I'd love to.
The vehicle will notify you and shut off the system if it becomes low on battery and it will preserve enough energy for a vehicle start-up. I have used the car through two movies without the engine running and it did not drain the battery and the car notified me once it reached low levels. (It was for a drive-in movie. However playing a video will not use anymore power than playing just sound since the biggest consumer will be your HK system.)
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Tony M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
The vehicle will notify you and shut off the system if it becomes low on battery and it will preserve enough energy for a vehicle start-up. I have used the car through two movies without the engine running and it did not drain the battery and the car notified me once it reached low levels. (It was for a drive-in movie. However playing a video will not use anymore power than playing just sound since the biggest consumer will be your HK system.)
Thanks for that. I did expect that was the case, but it's good to hear that it works that way in practice.

BTW, the "drive-in" movie" comment threw me a bit initially - haven't been to one in decades and I forgot they use the car's sound system. Most of the ones I remember had little speakers on poles beside the car and you hooked them over one of the windows. Showing my age here.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
Thanks for that. I did expect that was the case, but it's good to hear that it works that way in practice.

BTW, the "drive-in" movie" comment threw me a bit initially - haven't been to one in decades and I forgot they use the car's sound system. Most of the ones I remember had little speakers on poles beside the car and you hooked them over one of the windows. Showing my age here.
Wait...they don't hook the heavy metal speakers in the window anymore??? What do they do, broadcast it over an unused radio frequency?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Tony M
Enlisted Member
Rep

I seem to remember a wire that you clipped to the car aerial, but that was a long time ago - and cars these days don't have aerials that you can clip to.

I'm guessing you just tune to the frequency of their FM transmitter.

The biggest problem for me would be finding a drive-in still operating - I don't think we have many (if any) in most Australian cities these days.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
I seem to remember a wire that you clipped to the car aerial, but that was a long time ago - and cars these days don't have aerials that you can clip to.
I'm guessing you just tune to the frequency of their FM transmitter.
The biggest problem for me would be finding a drive-in still operating - I don't think we have many (if any) in most Australian cities these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Wait...they don't hook the heavy metal speakers in the window anymore??? What do they do, broadcast it over an unused radio frequency?
Yep, they broadcast over a FM radio frequency. They had like 5 signals for 5 different movies. I didn't know they used to give you a little speaker, I guess I wasn't around then, lol. These theaters are pretty rare but there's a big and very popular one in Northern California.

It sounds decent over the FM radio frequency though, but it sure would be a better experience if they offered an HD Radio FM signal!
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0