F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 428i drivetrain error CLUTCH
Extreme Powerhouse

06-15-2023, 05:43 AM   #1
raspo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 09 325i

428i drivetrain error CLUTCH

A couple weeks ago I got a drive train error on the screen of my 2015 428i, and notification that car would operate in limp mode.

Got the car home and called my dealer immediately who told me:

1) they could look at this, but that it had to be done at the same time that they looked at the car for an airbag recall (which letter I had gotten through post the day before), and that they wouldn't have the parts for 6-7 weeks, so we booked an appointment for 6.5 weeks out, and

2) the car was absolutely fine to use in the meantime.

The car definitely was definitely on low power in limp mode, and had it not been in limp mode, and had the dealer not told me the car would be absolutely fine to continue driving I would have scheduled it in immediately.

Yesterday the clutch failed (three weeks after the fault appeared) while I was on the motorway, and I managed to coast to safety. Clutch pushed to the floor and even if lifted w my foot, was doing nothing.

In retrospect I would have thought there was an issue recently with the clutch slipping except that the drivetrain light had come on and then I knew it was in limp mode and was told it was absolutely fine to drive, so I just assumed the BMW dealer was right. I wasn't thinking about it from the point of view that a symptom of a problem just started and what it might be, because before the fault light came on the car was behaving normally. I thought this was all down to some unknown to me drivetrain fault.

Now that the clutch is clearly shot, and the car is under warranty I am wondering what to do. I don't want to pay for any repairs that I would have sought repairs for, apart from the dealer insisting all was fine and that they absolutely couldn't see the car for 6-7 weeks until the recall parts were in. But I am concerned that driving it in the condition it was in made things worse. The car was inspected before it was purchased a reasonably short while ago, and neither we, nor the inspector felt anything felt unusual or problematic with the clutch, but perhaps it was on the way out. I understand that the clutch is a wear and tear item.

I can't read codes on the car for some reason - perhaps because the car won't start now due to what I imagine might be the clutch switch.

If I take it to BMW I am worried that they will say everything wrong is due to clutch problem which is wear and tear, and nothing will be due to them putting me off 6-7 weeks so they only had to have one appointment with me and could do the airbag recall at the same time.

Anyone have any views on the best way to handle this?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 05:50 AM   #2
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
Your clutch completely failing and the pedal going to the floor and not coming back up, likely isn't the clutch itself failing (that would be the clutch slipping when giving it throttle ie, the rpms rise, but your speed doesnt), but the clutch master cylinder i would think. Sounds like you lost pressure in the clutch line. If that is in fact the case, that likely is not a wear and tear item and hopefully would be covered under warranty.
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 05:56 AM   #3
raspo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you for this. In last week or so, the clutch did feel like it was slipping where I was throttling and the car revved with very slow increase in speed. So perhaps both are happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem.plus_440gc View Post
Your clutch completely failing and the pedal going to the floor and not coming back up, likely isn't the clutch itself failing (that would be the clutch slipping when giving it throttle ie, the rpms rise, but your speed doesnt), but the clutch master cylinder i would think. Sounds like you lost pressure in the clutch line. If that is in fact the case, that likely is not a wear and tear item and hopefully would be covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 06:00 AM   #4
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspo View Post
Thank you for this. In last week or so, the clutch did feel like it was slipping where I was throttling and the car revved with very slow increase in speed. So perhaps both are happening?
Yeah that could be the case then. Also could be that if the clutch master cylinder was leaking or on its way out, it could have been putting less pressure on the clutch and allowing it to slip... not sure if this is a case of which came first the chicken (clutch slip) or the egg (possible master cylinder failure).

I just hope they don't blame a possible clutch master cylinder failure on the fact that the clutch itself was on its way out. Not sure if the dying clutch could kill the master cylinder, but if it can, that may be BMWs way of getting out of warranty responsibility.

I hope that's not the case though!
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 10:23 AM   #5
Cytoplasm0671
Armchair Aristocrat
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT

Just to point out that the loss of a clutch pedal isn't necessarily the slave cylinder but could be items inside the transmission bell such as a broken pivot pin (notoriously plastic and brittle), spring clip, or release bearing. All three are quite weak, especially if the guide tube inside the transmission had gotten worn to the point of the release bearing catching on it and popping off or breaking some other element.

I recently opened up my manual transmission bell and was amazed at how worn the release bearing was after only 45,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 10:33 AM   #6
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytoplasm0671 View Post
Just to point out that the loss of a clutch pedal isn't necessarily the slave cylinder but could be items inside the transmission bell such as a broken pivot pin (notoriously plastic and brittle), spring clip, or release bearing. All three are quite weak, especially if the guide tube inside the transmission had gotten worn to the point of the release bearing catching on it and popping off or breaking some other element.

I recently opened up my manual transmission bell and was amazed at how worn the release bearing was after only 45,000 miles.
did you get the brass pivot pin to replace the plastic one?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 10:43 AM   #7
raspo
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for these other ideas, very much appreciated. It's into dealer now, and will wait to hear what they say.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 10:44 AM   #8
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem.plus_440gc View Post
Or slave cylinder, one of the two is the more likely culprit. Agree, that should be covered under warranty. Those things don't have a set service life.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 11:01 AM   #9
Cytoplasm0671
Armchair Aristocrat
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
did you get the brass pivot pin to replace the plastic one?
I did
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
toxik2454.50