F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Weird issue with O2 Sensor
ARMA SPEED

06-22-2023, 01:51 PM   #1
NasAAmeer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i 2013

Weird issue with O2 Sensor

Hi guys. I have searched the internet and this website forums but could not find any hint to help identify my issue. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

My car is a BMW 316i 2013 bought about 2 years ago. a few months ago, I started to get the error code: P0038 which is about the second O2 sensor located after the Catalytic Converter. The sensor was replaced with a good brand one and the fault codes were cleared. The engine check light came back though after driving about 30 miles. Tried another one but also no luck.

After a while I started to feel some misfires until I got a drivetrain malfunction and the cause was an ignition coil. All ignition coils and spark plugs were replaced.

Later my local garage tried checking the wire harness and the connection between the sensor and the ECU but found no issues.

A friend of mine has an advanced OBD2 Scanner and he ran a check he found the following:
1) 12B301 (See photo attached)
2) 12B302 (See photo attached)
3) There are readings from both O2 sensors and they change with revving the engine

How is it possible to have the O2 sensor short to GND and B+ at the same time?! To me that does not make sense. Did anyone experience this before and could help in diagnosing this issue?

Any more information, please let me know. Thanks again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 03:35 PM   #2
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

The OBDII diagnostics cannot tell if you are shorted (to the B+: power side) before the O2 sensor...or after the O2 sensor (to the GND-wire side) in the O2 circuit. Disconnect the O2 sensor wire plug and see if you get the proper voltage (look up expected voltage supply range). Then check if you have the proper ground and continuity (near 0 ohms). Possible that your O2 sensor was good, but there is a short circuit in the O2 circuit wires going to/from the sensor.

Looking up the O2 sensor wiring diagram circuit in ISTA+ would help check for all the possible shorts paths along with letting ISTA+ run a diagnostics.

Last edited by fe7565; 06-23-2023 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0