F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Quiet Intake recommendation? and compatibility with BMS OCC
proTUNING Freaks

10-02-2015, 02:26 AM   #1
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 --> E89

Quiet Intake recommendation? and compatibility with BMS OCC

Hi All,

I am thinking of upgrading my F30 N20 Intake system and personally i would like to have a quiet intake and also a dry filter type. I HEARD that the oil type has slightly higher chance to kill the MAF sensor in the car. Obviously i don't have any experience on that saying, but it does make sense to me. Specially when it is cleaned by the user and applied too much oil on it. and personally i would say myself to be a professional DIYer. So i think i am better off with the dry type.

So with the limitation of dry filer type, i now have injen and AFE choices. Other brands are either oil type filter or unspecified (like gruppe M).

I also prefer a quiet one as i am not a zealot for BOV woosh sound. I rather enjoy the music in my car.

Weight is another factor i would like to take into account, but not the leading factors.

AFE states their intake are quiet and injen is proud of their woosh sound (honestly they do sound awesome, but i just don't want it all the time).

So is AFE my only choice? Yes, it might be if it fits with the BMS oil can catcher (OCC). I have read posts saying they do not compatible with the BMS OCC, which i have it in my car already, and i have no intention to remove it. Does anyone has experience with AFE momentum pro or magnum force intake system with BMS OCC?

Of course other brands recommendation is also welcomed. Thank you all for the help.

Last edited by LittleBlackHawk; 10-05-2015 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90--> E92-->F30

Why not just run an afe dry in the stock box if you want a quiet intake? Theres not really much for gains to be had. And also you're concerned about intake weight?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
mishimoto
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk View Post
Hi All,

I am thinking of upgrading my F30 N20 Intake system and personally i would like to have a quiet intake and also a dry filter type. I HEARD that the oil type has slightly higher chance to kill the MAF sensor in the car. Obviously i don't have any experience on that saying, but it does make sense to me. Specially when it is cleaned by the user and applied too much oil on it. and personally i would say myself to be a professional DIYer. So i think i am better off with the dry type.

So with the limitation of dry filer type, i now have injen and AFE choices. Other brands are either oil type filter or unspecified (like gruppe M).

I also prefer a quiet one as i am not a zealot for BOV woosh sound. I rather enjoy the music in my car.

Weight is another factor i would like to take into account, but not the leading factors.

AFE states their intake are quiet and injen is proud of their woosh sound (honestly they do sound awesome, but i just don't want it all the time).

So is AFE my only choice? Yes, it might be if it fits with the BMS oil can catcher (OCC). I have read posts saying they do not compatible with the BMS OCC, which i have it in my car already, and i have no intention to remove it. I tried to write to AFE but they never replied my question. Does anyone has experience with AFE momentum pro or magnum force intake system with BMS OCC?

Of course other brands recommendation is also welcomed. Thank you all for the help.
Figured we could chime in here to help you out. Unfortunately, upgrading the intake on your N20 is not going to result in substantial power gains. Output is controlled by the ECU tune, and our testing of various setups showed no appreciable gains. Therefore, the primary benefit of bolting on an aftermarket system will be the amplified sound, which we saw with our design. If you are seeking a replacement filter because your factory piece is dirty, then perhaps a nice drop-in filter will provide stock-like sound and some additional filtration.

Also, in reference to the comment regarding oiled filters. Assuming the filter is properly oiled, there should not be an issue with MAF contamination. We utilize oiled air filters within all of our intake kits and have never had an issue with failed sensors. Unless you are completely set on a dry unit, I would recommend at least considering the oiled units. Our oiled filters provide great filtration as well as fantastic flow.

If you would like to check out our data from testing, or a video featuring our intake system, check out the thread below.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ight=mishimoto

Let me know if I can answer any additional questions!

Thanks
-John
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 --> E89

Hi Beachside and John, thanks for the recommendation. maybe a drop in is the solution for my situation.

Hi John, that is a very nice write up you posted, especially the analytical comparison between the stock and upgrade intake with tune or w/o tune with TRUE data. Thank you for sharing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

If you're not doing it for the sound, save yourself a lot of money and go with a drop-in filter. Or if you insist on a full intake, aFe Momentum (not Magnum). Just don't get an open intake. One with a box will conceal the sound better.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

i'd get this

if you have $$$

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1174198
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 v10 Spyder

Garage List
GruppeM Ram Air System make some great intakes. The quality is
      10-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
Braddontroy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

If you want performance and no increase in noise. Drop in a K&N filter to stock box, open up another cold air feed next to factory box rectangular inlet using flex hose down to brake inlet area and also use a 90 degree "air diverter" where factory inlet is behind the kidney grill. The volume, speed and cooler air will guarantee to make the inlet side of the engine more efficient.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #9
Braddontroy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

There are hardly any gains to be had with aftermarket intakes. Unless they are cheap - their value will be questionable. Save money up for catless DP if you want actual noticeable gains in power, torque, response and fuel economy
Appreciate 0