F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Coming soon......teaser pics
proTUNING Freaks

12-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #45
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973 View Post
The car looks great!
Thanks!!! I am loving it more and more
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #46
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
BMW are baffled why it doesn't work as it should
Odd. I wasn't paying too much attention when the dealer showed me this on the demo but basically I put the car in reverse and the usual parking sensor graphics showed up on the screen. He said 'oh it's got a camera' and just shifted the iDrive controller down the left hand side of the screen and selected 'camera'. After that every time I selected reverse the camera kicked in.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #47
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Hi Derek

Full vis pack is a must, I was following a car this evening through a wooded curvy A road, adaptive lights on, the car in front had a wall of light (seen clearly on the dense trees on the side of the road) literally half a car length from it's rear bumper, that followed it around the bend. Whoever devised the method and programmed the logic deserves a medal.....seriously.

M Sport brakes....violent? Don't worry about them being oversensitive, they are not....plenty of feel when used 'normally'. But when you use them in anger.....violent

I'm probably not the best person to ask about standard M Sport vs. Adaptive suspension. It has been a little while since I test drove a 330D M Sport with standard suspension. Can some of the more qualified test pilots that have driven them back to back comment?

What I can say is it is not 'SE/Luxury/sport', etc supple in comfort mode. Perhaps half way between these and M Sport? In Sport mode they seem stiffer than the 330D MS I drove, but then again that was riding on the M400 18". I would say that for the 50 notes or so they cost, worth it to me.
Thanks for taking the time to reply that's great
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #48
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi Derek

Full vis pack is a must, I was following a car this evening through a wooded curvy A road, adaptive lights on, the car in front had a wall of light (seen clearly on the dense trees on the side of the road) literally half a car length from it's rear bumper, that followed it around the bend. Whoever devised the method and programmed the logic deserves a medal.....seriously.

M Sport brakes....violent? Don't worry about them being oversensitive, they are not....plenty of feel when used 'normally'. But when you use them in anger.....violent

I'm probably not the best person to ask about standard M Sport vs. Adaptive suspension. It has been a little while since I test drove a 330D M Sport with standard suspension. Can some of the more qualified test pilots that have driven them back to back comment?

What I can say is it is not 'SE/Luxury/sport', etc supple in comfort mode. Perhaps half way between these and M Sport? In Sport mode they seem stiffer than the 330D MS I drove, but then again that was riding on the M400 18". I would say that for the 50 notes or so they cost, worth it to me.
Thanks i have another question re sport Auto box i have never had an auto box as never wanted on as love the control i have on entering a corner and always feel i know what gear i'm in and very nervous about spending this amount on a new car without being happy i have made the right decision. I stay in Aberdeenshire so very little town driving mainly rural road and some back roads , with a trip down to london most years, i saw you have never had an auto box so would be good to get your opinion i was concerned re i like when coming to junction smoth stop with clutch in then brake? then as for knowing the correct gear with 8 to select do you find apart from motor way you only need 6 with the gearing , and for getting the best performance out of the car the Sport Auto does a good job, thanks Derek
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #49
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

Your car looks fab

Sorry can't help with the camera, I've just got normal PDC. The demo I had just always went to rear camera mode, so guess it ought to do that once you've told it once?

And +1 for the adaptive lights, they are amazing. I was driving along with just using the normal main beam for a bit and forgot I'd got them on, bet the person coming the other way wasn't impressed - wont be doing that again!

And on your subject of ACC on the roundabouts, I've had the regular CC catch me out a few times - it doesn't give up control when you change gear so you can accelerate out of a 30 limit and keep changing up etc, then the car decides to brake back down to 30
      12-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #50
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Thanks i have another question re sport Auto box i have never had an auto box as never wanted on as love the control i have on entering a corner and always feel i know what gear i'm in and very nervous about spending this amount on a new car without being happy i have made the right decision. I stay in Aberdeenshire so very little town driving mainly rural road and some back roads , with a trip down to london most years, i saw you have never had an auto box so would be good to get your opinion i was concerned re i like when coming to junction smoth stop with clutch in then brake? then as for knowing the correct gear with 8 to select do you find apart from motor way you only need 6 with the gearing , and for getting the best performance out of the car the Sport Auto does a good job, thanks Derek
Hi Derek

Hmmm, this is a toughy for me, I am the biggest manual fan going.

I won't lie, there are some aspects of the ZF8 that I don't enjoy, well not a ZF8 failing, more an automatic box fail. Most notably the approach to a stop situation. When in a manual I would downchange which controls the speed, and gives you a heightened sense of appropriate speed, there is also zero 'drive on' when getting to the last maybe 10mph. On an auto you are conscious on the amount of extra braking required in this last stage. The ZF8 does downchange and gives engine braking, but not as much as if you were doing non heel and toe type braking in a manual, where you have allowed the engine revs to drop significantly below the driving speed in the lower gear, and have to drive the engine revs up.

The second area that you might miss is the ability to use revs to launch the car, only really required in cut and thrust town driving. On this point the 330D makes up for the 'starting from idle' disadvantage due to it's strong grunt, but in say 320D/320i form could be a bigger factor.

Now for the plus sides.....

Firstly got to say you can't tar the ZF8 with the typical 'auto' brush, it really is a next generation device. It locks up really quick so you don't get the slush feel much at all. Sport mode seems to lock it out almost always.

As mentioned it does quite abrupt downchanges which aids engine braking.

It does silky smooth upchanges in comfort mode, but when in sport mode the changes happen very fast, almost DSG like, and gives you that satisfying bang with slushless upchanges. I have got to say, very intoxicating, very sporty.

In manual mode it does exactly what you want it to do, other than selecting and staying in a too high a gear for the speed (If you select 8th at 40mph for example it will change into 8th then drop back to 7th).

Contrary to what anyone might think, I certainly did, 8 gears is not too many.

To sum up, as an avid 'manual guy', yes there are some areas that I don't enjoy (but am becoming used to), but on balance I am so happy I was forced into this box, overall it is a winner. In certain situations it allows even more sporty driving than a manual.
I have no hesitation in recommending the ZF8sport in 330D format.........I wasn't quite so convinced in 320D format.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #51
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edz_f31 View Post
Your car looks fab

Sorry can't help with the camera, I've just got normal PDC. The demo I had just always went to rear camera mode, so guess it ought to do that once you've told it once?

And +1 for the adaptive lights, they are amazing. I was driving along with just using the normal main beam for a bit and forgot I'd got them on, bet the person coming the other way wasn't impressed - wont be doing that again!

And on your subject of ACC on the roundabouts, I've had the regular CC catch me out a few times - it doesn't give up control when you change gear so you can accelerate out of a 30 limit and keep changing up etc, then the car decides to brake back down to 30
Thanks edz

Yes I've experienced that a few times myself with standard cc. I will say the BMW brake function does seem to have some logic that for example the Mercedes one doesn't. The merc brake function was annoying.....say you overtake a another car and want the speed to bleed of slowly, no the merc applied brakes and forced the speed down. The BMW almost understands that is what you want to do so bleeds it off, but once at it's set speed uses brakes to limit a runaway situation, like going down steep hills.

Hows the car going?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #52
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

Quote:
Thanks edz

Yes I've experienced that a few times myself with standard cc. I will say the BMW brake function does seem to have some logic that for example the Mercedes one doesn't. The merc brake function was annoying.....say you overtake a another car and want the speed to bleed of slowly, no the merc applied brakes and forced the speed down. The BMW almost understands that is what you want to do so bleeds it off, but once at it's set speed uses brakes to limit a runaway situation, like going down steep hills.

Hows the car going?
Yeah, I'll agree it is great once you've got the hang of it

Car is going really well, I'm really pleased with the power/economy/size blend, it's plenty quick enough for me and got 47mpg on the first tank full (with no long runs, work is 20 miles each way) so am very pleased!

I also like the little touches in the car, like the way the interior is "dimly" lit when you unlock but then brightens up on the seat corresponding to the door you've just opened (only) - and lots of other little touches like this, so yes loving it
      12-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #53
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I manually use the gearbox to slow me down "all the time" with the paddles, I rarely need heavy braking unless really getting on.
      12-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #54
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi Derek

Hmmm, this is a toughy for me, I am the biggest manual fan going.

I won't lie, there are some aspects of the ZF8 that I don't enjoy, well not a ZF8 failing, more an automatic box fail. Most notably the approach to a stop situation. When in a manual I would downchange which controls the speed, and gives you a heightened sense of appropriate speed, there is also zero 'drive on' when getting to the last maybe 10mph. On an auto you are conscious on the amount of extra braking required in this last stage. The ZF8 does downchange and gives engine braking, but not as much as if you were doing non heel and toe type braking in a manual, where you have allowed the engine revs to drop significantly below the driving speed in the lower gear, and have to drive the engine revs up.

The second area that you might miss is the ability to use revs to launch the car, only really required in cut and thrust town driving. On this point the 330D makes up for the 'starting from idle' disadvantage due to it's strong grunt, but in say 320D/320i form could be a bigger factor.

Now for the plus sides.....

Firstly got to say you can't tar the ZF8 with the typical 'auto' brush, it really is a next generation device. It locks up really quick so you don't get the slush feel much at all. Sport mode seems to lock it out almost always.

As mentioned it does quite abrupt downchanges which aids engine braking.

It does silky smooth upchanges in comfort mode, but when in sport mode the changes happen very fast, almost DSG like, and gives you that satisfying bang with slushless upchanges. I have got to say, very intoxicating, very sporty.

In manual mode it does exactly what you want it to do, other than selecting and staying in a too high a gear for the speed (If you select 8th at 40mph for example it will change into 8th then drop back to 7th).

Contrary to what anyone might think, I certainly did, 8 gears is not too many.

To sum up, as an avid 'manual guy', yes there are some areas that I don't enjoy (but am becoming used to), but on balance I am so happy I was forced into this box, overall it is a winner. In certain situations it allows even more sporty driving than a manual.
I have no hesitation in recommending the ZF8sport in 330D format.........I wasn't quite so convinced in 320D format.

Hope that helps.

Excellent that has helped greatly as i want to have an open mind on my back to back test drive, i felt a little pushed into a corner after having a new e46 330d m sport touring , then current e90 330D M sport , i would have just ordered another , if it had manual option , but my mind has been playing games on me have been looking at 328i and even M135i as only do approx 9 to10K miles a year know, great to hear the engine slowing down on quick down shifts , used to love my e30 325i sport in 1988 it was fantastic for this could lock up the back wheel and take you round s harp slow corner, lets hope BMW go back this direction super lite and power to use the chassis , one trip each year to my cousin in Ware just down the road from you been, up to Bedford a few times to the indoor skydive and surfing play.
I was at Brands Hatch last year with BMW at an Ultimate even when we drove all the cars and i liked the Auto a bit then and my mate has current M3 and liked the box on it and he said i would get used to it , just felt i'm only 46 and not ready for auto yet but BMW are going more down this route , as like new M5 i drove down at Goodwood For last year auto only and very good it was ,i believe , but America is getting manual i heard.
Do you work with Palmer as one of the guys from there was at the Brands Hatch event last year, thanks again for your time.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #55
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I manually use the gearbox to slow me down "all the time" with the paddles, I rarely need heavy braking unless really getting on.
Did you have a manual your last motor or was it Auto as well and what do you like about the Auto
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #56
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
The adaptive headlights, you honestly have to see them to believe them. Following a car on a dual carriageway, the lights are on high beam except for a box where the car in front is. He moved over to the next lane, and the dim box moved with him......how the hell does it do that? Really impressive.
I experienced this for the first time this evening . Very impressive as you say. I'd been out for a drive on Friday evening just to try them but didn't see anything special, the lights just went from low to full beam automatically and moved round corners. Tonight driving home on a dual carriageway they were doing their thing with the full beam on and with the box around the car in front. Amazing. Strange on the motorway too the way it seemed to light up the grass verge to the left when approaching other cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #57
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm still very impressed with the lights

The active cruise is pretty good too, even ASS'es when stopped and makes long distance motorway stuff so much easier
Appreciate 0