F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > E90Post: What are e90 owner's thoughts on the f30?
ARMA SPEED

12-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
E91 Hoarder
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 AWD, E91 RWD, E90, X535i

Wink E90Post: What are e90 owner's thoughts on the f30?

We are having a discussion about F30 @ E90post. Do you guys want to chime in?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781651

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSerge View Post
We are having a discussion about F30 @ E90post. Do you guys want to chime in?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781651
Sounds like an invitation to an E90 owner circle jerk about their cars. I'll pass, but thanks.
      12-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
E91 Hoarder
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 AWD, E91 RWD, E90, X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Sounds like an invitation to an E90 owner circle jerk about their cars. I'll pass, but thanks.
Not really. Speaking for myself, still trying to justify an upgrade to F30. Wanted to hear the real owners' opinion.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSerge View Post
Not really. Speaking for myself, still trying to justify an upgrade to F30. Wanted to hear the real owners' opinion.
Upgrade? Doesn't sound like your ready to upgrade. If your car is still driving and your under warranty just keep it for now. When you need a new car you get the F30 becuase no other car out there provides the combination of sport, luxury and comfort the F30 does.
      12-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

I was considering the f30 base model before I drove one. The suspension was way too soft, body rolled, and the brakes were spongy.

Since my e90 base non sport was flooded in sandy, I had to get something, so I ordered the f30 msport. Hopefully it will be as stiff as the e90 non sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
I took an f30 luxury line 328i on a test drive as soon as they came out. I didn't care for the lighter steering and cushy feeling (over my lowered x-drive e90), but was impressed with it in sport and sport+ mode. I also didn't like how noticeable the auto start/stop was, but of course that's easily turned off. I thought the interior was as nice or nicer than my e90. The auto trans was also smoother than the e90. In general, I think the f30 is as nice as my e90, and more attractive, though I only care for the front bumper of the f30 in m-sport trim, whereas my pre LCI e90 base trim looks fine to me. So, if I were to upgrade, it'd have to be an m-sport.
      12-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

I went from an e90 M Sport to an F31 M and my biggest fears were the steering and suspension. But I got the adaptive M suspension, and its freaking awesome. Put in sport and you have a car planted to the road and the steering gets heavier aswell, and comfort mode really doing its job well and no more breaking my neck when driving over a salt grain. After one week with the car there was not a single thing I missed from the e90 and let me tell you I was really in love with the e90 and hsted the f30 when it came out. 10 weeks have passed now and Ive done 9000 miles, conclusion: the F30/31is better on every single point. Every point. Every damm point, bam!

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
I was considering the f30 base model before I drove one. The suspension was way too soft, body rolled, and the brakes were spongy.

Since my e90 base non sport was flooded in sandy, I had to get something, so I ordered the f30 msport. Hopefully it will be as stiff as the e90 non sport.
I sure hope you ordered the DHP.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
I went from an e90 M Sport to an F31 M and my biggest fears were the steering and suspension. But I got the adaptive M suspension, and its freaking awesome. Put in sport and you have a car planted to the road and the steering gets heavier aswell, and comfort mode really doing its job well and no more breaking my neck when driving over a salt grain. After one week with the car there was not a single thing I missed from the e90 and let me tell you I was really in love with the e90 and hsted the f30 when it came out. 10 weeks have passed now and Ive done 9000 miles, conclusion: the F30/31is better on every single point. Every point. Every damm point, bam!
Adaptive M is key for E90 lovers. Or for us BMWNA customers DHP which includes VSS.

9000 miles in 10 weeks? Is that possible? Maybe you meant to write 900 miles?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMxi View Post
I took an f30 luxury line 328i on a test drive as soon as they came out. I didn't care for the lighter steering and cushy feeling (over my lowered x-drive e90), but was impressed with it in sport and sport+ mode. I also didn't like how noticeable the auto start/stop was, but of course that's easily turned off. I thought the interior was as nice or nicer than my e90. The auto trans was also smoother than the e90. In general, I think the f30 is as nice as my e90, and more attractive, though I only care for the front bumper of the f30 in m-sport trim, whereas my pre LCI e90 base trim looks fine to me. So, if I were to upgrade, it'd have to be an m-sport.
Lux and Base suspension felt quite floaty to me. Sport and M-Sport(same suspension, different wheels/tires and pads), were far better but not jarring at all for DD'ing.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMxi View Post
I thought the interior was as nice or nicer than my e90. The auto trans was also smoother than the e90.
As nice or nicer? Try head and shoulders better, the f30 interior legitimately belongs in the luxury class
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
AWF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: aw f30 m sport

It's unfortunate that some will use the luxury or modern line f30 when doing this compare
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post

I drove a stripper E90 loaner for a month so I'm somewhat versed on comparing that and an F30. My DD for 6 years was an E46 M3.

The M-Sport F30 at first blush felt more floaty than the ///M in straight line driving. But pushing it hard in corners it feels really good. I like it a lot.
      12-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Lux and Base suspension felt quite floaty to me. Sport and M-Sport(same suspension, different wheels/tires and pads), were far better but not jarring at all for DD'ing.
+1
      12-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
For what it's worth, my test drive was only 20-30 minutes long and the car I was driving was the only f30 328 they had available for test drives, and it was FILTHY inside. I really want to drive a 335 with m-sport. Because I think I want to own one.
      12-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF30 View Post
It's unfortunate that some will use the luxury or modern line f30 when doing this compare
For xDrive vehicles, it doesn't make a lick of difference what line you choose.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #17
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF30 View Post
For xDrive vehicles, it doesn't make a lick of difference what line you choose.
Haha called you out on the awd. Its better than the e90 i agree. Like someone already mentioned above, it may feel boaty but its quick has great turn in and is balanced like no other its actually pretty surprising how it handles.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #18
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Adaptive M is key for E90 lovers. Or for us BMWNA customers DHP which includes VSS.

9000 miles in 10 weeks? Is that possible? Maybe you meant to write 900 miles?
Oops my bad, haha instead of dividing my 5600 kms with 1.6 I multiplied, so its 3500 miles I've done so far

Don't really know how the VSS feels but a very common misunderstanding is that you need VSS for the heavier feedback when in sport, which you don't cause what it does is simply to increase or decrease turning ratio. But yeah, coming from a hard n heavy E90 M you definetely wanna select the adaptive M or DHP option

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Currently in my garage are a 2011 E90 328i (premium, auto, cold weather) and an 2012 328i (sport, premium, DHP, manual). I have previously owned an e92 335i and an e90 335i (one was stick the other automatic, both were sport). Plus I have instructed in a bunch of e9x cars both at autocross and on the track. So I think I have a decent basis for comparison...

The e9x cars hit the mark on so many different levels it's scary. The styling, solidity, performance, brakes, handling...everything. They are brilliant cars. On the track they understeer like pigs as setup by the factory (I know that can be fixed...just referring to stock setups) and the 335i's tend to be fragile with overheating and limp modes being regular occurrences. Plus the e9x chassis takes SO long to transfer weight and take a set in corners! The OEM RFT's on the e9x series are awful in all regards and should be banished from bimmer land. Yet they are very predictable and stable with solid brakes and consistent cornering habits.

In general it is tough to criticize any e9x product.

Having sung the praises of e9x cars, I find the F30 to be better in virtually every measurable way. People rave about the steering in the e9x cars. But after driving my F30 for a while and jumping into the e90, the steering on that car feels wooden and overly heavy. There is no more feedback or accuracy IMHO. Just weight.

The interior of the F30 seems much nicer to me, and the extra room is welcomed. The M Adaptive suspension is genius! During my regular commute I really appreciate the ability to select a smooth, comfortable ride. When I want to have some fun, the switch on the center console absolutely transforms the car. It is unbelievable how big of a difference that switch makes.

On the track the F30 was very neutral, with ultra-sharp turn-in and minimal understeer. It can be throttle steered both on and off throttle with just enough rotation to be useful. It never overheats and so far has not given any sign of stress while being flogged. The OEM brakes on the 328i need attention, but I suspect better pads will go a long way to helping. IMHO the F30 328i is a much better track car than the e9x cars were (stock for stock).

Now let's talk about fuel economy. I like being able to drive the 328i like a diesel and get diesel-like gas mileage. During my slow daily commute through the worst of LA rush hour, I am still getting between 28 and 29 MPG regularly. That is freaking awesome! In a similar commute my wife is getting around 18 in her e90. ASS doesn't really bother me anymore, although I attribute that in large part to the fact that my car is a MT. I'm not sure I would like ASS as much if the car was an automatic.

The e9x cars are much more quiet on the highway than the F30 is. Both of my current cars were euro delivery so I had a chance to test both at speeds not legally possible in the US. Without a doubt the e90 was more serene at triple digit speeds.

I've owned e36 M3's, e46 cars of various configurations, a few e9x, an x5, a couple of x3's (including one with MT that took some trophies at autocross), a z3, e39 5-series and a smattering of other brands. With each subsequent generation owners of the outgoing model dump all over the new model as being too big, heavy, with poor steering and a loss of BMW'ness. This debate between the e9x and f30 cars is no different and will repeat when the successor of the F30 comes out. Personally I am just grateful that BMW continues to offer products that people are enthusiastic about and hope they continue to do so in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
Currently in my garage are a 2011 E90 328i (premium, auto, cold weather) and an 2012 328i (sport, premium, DHP, manual). I have previously owned an e92 335i and an e90 335i (one was stick the other automatic, both were sport). Plus I have instructed in a bunch of e9x cars both at autocross and on the track. So I think I have a decent basis for comparison...

The e9x cars hit the mark on so many different levels it's scary. The styling, solidity, performance, brakes, handling...everything. They are brilliant cars. On the track they understeer like pigs as setup by the factory (I know that can be fixed...just referring to stock setups) and the 335i's tend to be fragile with overheating and limp modes being regular occurrences. Plus the e9x chassis takes SO long to transfer weight and take a set in corners! The OEM RFT's on the e9x series are awful in all regards and should be banished from bimmer land. Yet they are very predictable and stable with solid brakes and consistent cornering habits.

Having sung the praises of e9x cars, I find the F30 to be better in virtually every measurable way. People rave about the steering in the e9x cars. But after driving my F30 for a while and jumping into the e90, the steering on that car feels wooden and overly heavy. There is no more feedback or accuracy IMHO. Just weight.

The interior of the F30 seems much nicer to me, and the extra room is welcomed. The M Adaptive suspension is genius! During my regular commute I really appreciate the ability to select a smooth, comfortable ride. When I want to have some fun, the switch on the center console absolutely transforms the car. It is unbelievable how big of a difference that switch makes.

On the track the F30 was very neutral, with ultra-sharp turn-in and minimal understeer. It can be throttle steered both on and off throttle with just enough rotation to be useful. It never overheats and so far has not given any sign of stress while being flogged. The OEM brakes on the 328i need attention, but I suspect better pads will go a long way to helping. IMHO the F30 328i is a much better track car than the e9x cars were (stock for stock).

Now let's talk about fuel economy. I like being able to drive the 328i like a diesel and get diesel-like gas mileage. During my slow daily commute through the worst of LA rush hour, I am still getting between 28 and 29 MPG regularly. That is freaking awesome! In a similar commute my wife is getting around 18 in her e90. ASS doesn't really bother me anymore, although I attribute that in large part to the fact that my car is a MT. I'm not sure I would like ASS as much if the car was an automatic.

The e9x cars are much more quiet on the highway than the F30 is. Both of my current cars were euro delivery so I had a chance to test both at speeds not legally possible in the US. Without a doubt the e90 was more serene at triple digit speeds.

I've owned e36 M3's, e46 cars of various configurations, a few e9x, an x5, a couple of x3's (including one with MT that took some trophies at autocross), a z3, e39 5-series and a smattering of other brands. With each subsequent generation owners of the outgoing model dump all over the new model as being too big, heavy, with poor steering and a loss of BMW'ness. This debate between the e9x and f30 cars is no different and will repeat when the successor of the F30 comes out. Personally I am just grateful that BMW continues to offer products that people are enthusiastic about and hope they continue to do so in the future.
Great post.

I think F30 braking is let down by the pads and tire options. I have now driven a no line and Sport with all seasons. The brakes really reduced my confidence and they were not as strong as the similar E90 cars I had driven. My M-Sport pads are far more confidence inducing and with the proper tires, the bite and response is more what I am used to in terms of BMW braking performance.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead

Amazing Post!

The steering feel is exactly how I felt jumping in e90 and f30 back to back. The e90 is too unnecessary heavy IMO.

Funny how in the e90 thread everyone is bashing about the f30.
      12-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #22
Monkeycmonkeydo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Great post.

I think F30 braking is let down by the pads and tire options. I have now driven a no line and Sport with all seasons. The brakes really reduced my confidence and they were not as strong as the similar E90 cars I had driven. My M-Sport pads are far more confidence inducing and with the proper tires, the bite and response is more what I am used to in terms of BMW braking performance.
Thats one of the reasons I got the 335. Much better brakes. And finished in the front unlike the 328 ones.
Appreciate 0