F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > once you got a VIN, no changes, really?
ARMA SPEED

03-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

Exclamation once you got a VIN, no changes, really?

building a 340i, and wanted to make a swap of wheels. got VIN a few days ago. i'm about a week into production. make request for change and CA talked to GM who said you can't make changes once you have a VIN assigned to your build.

i'm certain i've read of folks making changes to their build into last week of production but now am having trouble finding the threads. maybe it was just all PIA that i remember reading about which wouldn't have anything to do with production.

anyone have made changes to their build that would occur during production after a VIN has been issued?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #2
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
building a 340i, and wanted to make a swap of wheels. got VIN a few days ago. i'm about a week into production. make request for change and CA talked to GM who said you can't make changes once you have a VIN assigned to your build.

i'm certain i've read of folks making changes to their build into last week of production but now am having trouble finding the threads. maybe it was just all PIA that i remember reading about which wouldn't have anything to do with production.

anyone have made changes to their build that would occur during production after a VIN has been issued?
Once something hits status 150, I have not heard of any changes (that dont involve changes once the car hits the dealerwhip).

Have only ordered a car a couple of times myself, and never tried to change anything after status 150 but I also have not read of anyone changing anything after that. Let us know how it goes or if you find references to it.

Maybe port installed accessories are possible... but i am not aware if you can do wheels / rims at port install vs factory.

Let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Once something hits status 150, I have not heard of any changes (that dont involve changes once the car hits the dealerwhip).

Have only ordered a car a couple of times myself, and never tried to change anything after status 150 but I also have not read of anyone changing anything after that. Let us know how it goes or if you find references to it.

Maybe port installed accessories are possible... but i am not aware if you can do wheels / rims at port install vs factory.

Let us know how it goes.
i think that must have been what i was reading and just don't recall. that the PIA can be done and changed during production being those aren't done until weeks later at port but not changes that happen during production.

i'll 2x-check wheels can't be done at port.

thanks for your input, sir.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep

so got confirmation today for anyone looking for the result, that they can't change the wheels to what i want but could change to the below as PIA if i was interested:

Z3V Rim and tire set style 405M 20”
Z9S Wheel and tire set style 624M BK

neither of which are at all appealing to me so looks like i'll be selling my 442M 19" stockers when i take delivery to try and find a set of 437M in silver/ferric. going to try 245/35 & 285/30 i think.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
so got confirmation today for anyone looking for the result, that they can't change the wheels to what i want but could change to the below as PIA if i was interested:

Z3V Rim and tire set style 405M 20”
Z9S Wheel and tire set style 624M BK

neither of which are at all appealing to me so looks like i'll be selling my 442M 19" stockers when i take delivery to try and find a set of 437M in silver/ferric. going to try 245/35 & 285/30 i think.
I like the 442s myself, and one reason I like the 2 tone is that brake dust is almost the exact color of the orbit grey wheels, so they look "clean" much much longer.

I dont think its a coincidence that brake dust color is the "grey" color on the interior of those wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i 6MT BSM MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
I like the 442s myself, and one reason I like the 2 tone is that brake dust is almost the exact color of the orbit grey wheels, so they look "clean" much much longer.

I dont think its a coincidence that brake dust color is the "grey" color on the interior of those wheels.
That's good to know re the color and brake dust (an eternal struggle on my current car w/ large Brembo brakes). I'm getting the 442 Orbit Grey's on mine as well--I think they were the best looking of the options BUT I would love to get 437s--too bad it didn't work out for you OP. I may eventually try selling mine as well although I'm sure the 437s are much more expensive. Appreciate the info nonetheless!
Appreciate 0