F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 328i Sport Canadian Version
proTUNING Freaks

04-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
tigreonak
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line (F30)

2012 328i Sport Canadian Version

Hey Guys,

I'm new to BMW and have some questions to regards to my new car that just picked up last night

i tried to ask the same question from the Dealership but they had no answer for me.

1. When i was building the car online (bmw.ca) one of the options in the Premium package is Park Distance Control, in the description of this option it was saying the following: "Ultrasonic sensors in the front and rear bumpers provide acoustic and visual (with iDrive) waring of nearby objects."

When i looked at my car this morning, there are no sensors on the front bumper, i asked the dealer what is going on, however he told me this might have been a typo by the site people.

My question does the Canadian version have the front sensors or not, as i read in the posts that US does have it.

2. I'm a blackberry user, so the salesperson told me there is no need to buy the BMW Apps option, as this is more for iPhone users, also when we talked about the option BMW Assist with Enhanced Bluetooth, either the salesperson or any one in the dealership knew what the Enhanced Bluetooth is, therefore i didn't buy this option.

Now i realized that the options Enhanced Bluetooth offered is something that i need (Emails, SMS, Calendar Sync between the car & my phone and Music streaming through the Bluetooth).

I went to see the dealer to ask him if the can install the Enhanced Bluetooth features on my car for additional cost as it looks like only a software update of the iDrive (i might be wrong), however he did not once again what to answer.

So my question is the above possible or i'm out of luck and stuck with a car for 4 year without this option.

I had a 2011 328xi before this one and the feature above were part of the basic Bluetooth package and therefore i assumed that it would be the case in this model. i guess my assumption was wrong.

3. is it possible to code this car and if yes, can you recommend someone in the Toronto, Canada area or in Buffalo, USA area. what i'm looking to do is the following:

A. upon locking the car to have the mirrors fold automatically and unfold upon unlocking
B. upon locking the car automatically have all the windows and sunroof close (without actually holding your finger on the handle for 10sec.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

If some of those questions have been answered before, can you please direct me to the right post.

Thank You

Felix.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

The Front PDC question has indeed been raised before. In Canada only rear PDC comes with the Premium package. Front PDC is an additional option for $450.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
tigreonak
Rep

Thank you for your answer, not that i need the front PDC, my concern is that if it was advertised on the website should we have it or at least get compensated for this frm BMW??? and i don't think there was an option for the Front PDC when i ordered it
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreonak View Post
Thank you for your answer, not that i need the front PDC, my concern is that if it was advertised on the website should we have it or at least get compensated for this frm BMW??? and i don't think there was an option for the Front PDC when i ordered it
Well the configuration site already has a disclaimer about it being for informational purposes only, so I think your chances of getting some kind of compensation are slim.

The site has a number of omissions, and likely several errors. You won't find front PDC on the configuration site, among other options (e.g. heated rear seats are also missing). As usual the final word about configuration is the dealer order entry system.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Road Cone1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & 325i

Copy the website and print records for yourself and the dealer.
Contact OMVIC and fight it.
Lots of Miatas
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Cone1 View Post
Copy the website and print records for yourself and the dealer.
Contact OMVIC and fight it.
There is a disclaimer on the site when you configure the car. You'd really make that much of a stink over front PDC?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Well the configuration site already has a disclaimer about it being for informational purposes only, so I think your chances of getting some kind of compensation are slim.

The site has a number of omissions, and likely several errors. You won't find front PDC on the configuration site, among other options (e.g. heated rear seats are also missing). As usual the final word about configuration is the dealer order entry system.
There are a number of issues on the website. Best to confirm this at the dealer on what is possible. Given that the F30 is very early in its production there still seems to be stuff to be ironed out. In fact, there are omissions in features that were being passed off as part of a "Launch Edition" spec.

For those considering a 320i, they are in the dealers now so take a good long look and see if it is what you expected. It is not simply a detuned 328i.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
A. upon locking the car to have the mirrors fold automatically and unfold upon unlocking
I am not being critical, just curious: other than this being a bit cute, why would you want this?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I am not being critical, just curious: other than this being a bit cute, why would you want this?
Accidental damage maybe? I think the C class does this.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
I could see wanting this. It'd be nice to have it do it automatically instead of remembering to press a button.

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Accidental damage maybe? I think the C class does this.
doesn't the 3 do this when it's put in park?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Diamondbeemer32
Rep
Drives: 328i 2012 alpine white sedan

Does anyone know if the new f30 comes with angel eyes not the xenon headlight because I know u need the premium package that's not what I'm referring to, I'm referring to the halo color on my 328
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Wild M
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M SuperCharged

Garage List
Quote:
As Raspartan pointed out, the configuration site is missing several features, including front & rear park distance control (option code 508, premium package comes with rear only - option code 507), 19 inch wheels with front/back offset (option code 2A4), M sport suspension (option code 704), heated rear seats (option code 496). It took me quite some time researching various documents (e.g., 2012 product planning bulletin, 2012 product guide) and web sites before ordering my 335i sport line. Even the dealership order system has undergone updates. They first charged me $900 for front/rear PDC (508), then they updated their system to recognize that if you have the premium package it is only $450.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
doesn't the 3 do this when it's put in park?
Don't recall this happening on my test drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Elk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
I could see wanting this. It'd be nice to have it do it automatically instead of remembering to press a button.
Interesting. You fold the mirrors in every time you park? Do you routinely experience damage/problems if you do not?

I've always thought of folding mirrors as a feature for those that use car washes. I only use them when I store a car that has folding mirrors. They are amusing however.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Interesting. You fold the mirrors in every time you park? Do you routinely experience damage/problems if you do not?

I've always thought of folding mirrors as a feature for those that use car washes. I only use them when I store a car that has folding mirrors. They are amusing however.
There are some people who regularly park on the sides of streets. I use it when i pull into the garage so they don't get run into (by me). Had a 05 Denali that folded in the mirrors every time it entered the garage or parked in a parking lot and it had 200,000 miles on it and never had an issue.

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
Elk
Major
Rep

Thanks. It's interesting what others experience.

My first car was a Celica GT. I finally sold it at 250,000 miles (really) with perfect paint everywhere (other than rock chips).

The issue may be a function of where you live.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
tigreonak
Rep

Quote:
Elk, i have a tight parking at work and if i don't close my mirrors the person next to me can scratch it take it off...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
tigreonak
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild M View Post
As Raspartan pointed out, the configuration site is missing several features, including front & rear park distance control (option code 508, premium package comes with rear only - option code 507), 19 inch wheels with front/back offset (option code 2A4), M sport suspension (option code 704), heated rear seats (option code 496). It took me quite some time researching various documents (e.g., 2012 product planning bulletin, 2012 product guide) and web sites before ordering my 335i sport line. Even the dealership order system has undergone updates. They first charged me $900 for front/rear PDC (508), then they updated their system to recognize that if you have the premium package it is only $450.
M. I knew about most of those options, and i picked up 704 & 496 however nobody offered me the actually PDC option with front sensors and therefore i knew never that i have to pay extra for it, not that i need this option but if it something that was advertised... i want to use my rights to get what i was offered
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Elk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Elk, i have a tight parking at work and if i don't close my mirrors the person next to me can scratch it take it off...
Yike!

I fully understand now why you would like them to fold in automatically.

Thanks for explaining.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
bobby79
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

regarding missing features, when I ordered my 2007 e90 (323) it was missing heated mirrors and heated washer jets. when I notified the dealer they said those options were not evan available on the car. they showed me a brochure which confirmed what they were saying.

knowing that all Canadian BMWs have always been equipped with 'cold climate' features, I went back to the brochure that the dealer originally gave me. surprise, surprise, my version said the car came with heated mirrors (it didn't say anything about the jets specifically but i was able to find out that they were supposed to be bundled together).

The service department said too bad. BMW Canada was of no use. BBB and OMVIC were just as helpful. So I wrote a letter to the owner of the dealership (and labelled it as private and confidential to ensure no one else would open it). Within a couple of days I got a call from the service department to bring my car in to do a retrofit of the missing equipment at no charge.

many companies do this, here's an article from the toronto star regarding a lexus ct200h http://www.thestar.com/wheels/articl...-as-advertised

i think it's crazy that car companies can get away with this kind of stuff by putting a catch all disclaimer saying that what you order may not be what you get. if dell did that with computers, or sony did that with tv's, they'd have a pr nightmare on their hands.

oh, sorry, the core i7 pc you ordered with windows 7 was not available so we shipped you a core i5 with windows vista... close enough!

Last edited by bobby79; 04-23-2012 at 10:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
ChaosBroker
Disinformant
Rep
Drives: 2013 C300-4M Sport

Almost 20,000 people per square mile here, and street parking is a necessity for most. After a winter storm, you might see 4 or 5 mirrors all in a row missing where the streets weren't plowed wide enough. Fold em if you got em.
Appreciate 0