F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Deactivating F30 Start Stop by default
ARMA SPEED

04-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #67
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
It plain old sucks and really sucks in heavy traffic. The car runs so lean at idle that you will never notice a visual savings on the fuel gauge. I have driven 2 cars now with it for almost 1k miles. I saved more overall driving on eco pro mode. The car shakes when the motor turns off then really shakes upon restart. I had A.S.S activate 15 times in one fricking mile at rush hour the other day and pressing harder on the brake pedal never restarted it.
Then turn it off! There is a button. Just like there is a skip button for music- I'm sure you push that...
      04-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #68
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
And what about the added wear and tear on the engine/starter?
No one's had a problem with this yet...we will just have to wait and see how this holds up over time. BMW has said that the parts re made to last far longer. According to Manfred Lauer, head of electrical engine system tests and integration at BMW M GmbH, the starter is provisioned to be much stronger than comparable starter on a non-Auto Stop/Start model.

Are there wearing parts, and what’s the service life?

Owing to the far higher number of engine starts the starter is dimensioned more generously than the same unit on vehicles without the auto start/stop function. The technology is designed to operate over the vehicle’s service life.

If it bothers you, just switch off the button. One push. It's not hard. You can do it. I promise.
      04-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #69
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
Engine not running = Engine not consuming fuel
Engine not running = Engine not producing emissions

Every bit helps, so who really cares the degree to which there are savings. Less fuel and less emissions are better. Imagine if every car idling in traffic was no longer idling. That could have a huge cumulative impact.
Go buy a Prius. Unacceptable to have a delay in a performance car
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #70
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
No one's had a problem with this yet...we will just have to wait and see how this holds up over time. BMW has said that the parts re made to last far longer. According to Manfred Lauer, head of electrical engine system tests and integration at BMW M GmbH, the starter is provisioned to be much stronger than comparable starter on a non-Auto Stop/Start model.

Are there wearing parts, and what’s the service life?

Owing to the far higher number of engine starts the starter is dimensioned more generously than the same unit on vehicles without the auto start/stop function. The technology is designed to operate over the vehicle’s service life.

If it bothers you, just switch off the button. One push. It's not hard. You can do it. I promise.
People are having problems with ASS all over the place. With respect to long term issues, of course BMW will say all will be ok, because the cars will be out of warranty by then.

Regarding pushing a button to turn it off, I would have no issue with it if it did not go back to default setting each time the engine was stopped. Yes, I can push a button, for sure, but don't WANT to do it, and I want that choice on a 50k car. Hard for you to understand?

ASS and low rolling resistance tires don't belong to a performance car, BMW is learning from Toyota how to make fools of greenies, that's all. CD tested 70-0 braking at 190 feet, longer than SUVs, and this is a BMW?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #71
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Quote:
ASS and low rolling resistance tires don't belong to a performance car, BMW is learning from Toyota how to make fools of greenies, that's all. CD tested 70-0 braking at 190 feet, longer than SUVs, and this is a BMW?
No offense intended, but if you dont like the car why dont you simply speak with your wallet and not buy one?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #72
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
No offense intended, but if you dont like the car why dont you simply speak with your wallet and not buy one?
+1

Because at the end of the day, the new 3 is still the best Sports Sedan on the market, which has been affirmed by the majority of the comparos/reviews. Some folks would rather complain and nit-pick instead of looking at the big picture.
      04-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #73
Miamidrivesbimmers
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan murano

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
During my test drive, with temps of about 85-86 F outside, the engine turned automatically back on if the temperature became too hot inside so basically it wouldn't have to be deactivated.
awesome! btw you got mojave, how do you like it. I think it's a pretty cool color! I'm waiting to see it with red leather.
I got Mojave with the red leather,and brushed aluminum, everybody I know told me I should have gotten white with red but I think this is the best mix of options in the f30, it looks really nice, if u wonder how other options go together go to www.bmwusa.com and build your own 328
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #74
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Jesus christ.

Will people stop making crud up to justify not liking ASS.

I completely sympathise with those experiencing technical faults with the system. I also find it a bit odd that BMW force US models to use the system by default since it seems to be a European, not US, legal requirement.

But banging on about wear & tear when noone here except perhaps 'Fleet has a clue about how the system really works, or about how it's been designed not to wear out, is completely daft - many car manufacturers have been using the SAME system for years in Europe already, so it's not new.

Even if it might cause problems 5 years down the line, why are you buying a brand new model of car if you're worried about that? It's 3-ish year old technology. It might go wrong after 4 years, it might go wrong after 10. That goes for everything new or new-ish - active suspension, active headlights, new engines like the N20, etc etc etc.

If you're worried about new tech breaking after 5 years then buy a 2011 E90.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #75
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Then turn it off! There is a button. Just like there is a skip button for music- I'm sure you push that...
Brightest idea yet! Soon enough you will have to have a pre-flight check list of what to do before starting your car.

All of those that say "hey there is a button just turn it off" are really missing the big picture.

One of the things I read about this "feature" was that if your wheels are not pointing straight then it will not engage, which is great at the 1st glance because it conveys the notion that if you are standing still waiting for the incoming traffic to open up so you can make a left you will not have this system die on you. The old school take on how to properly make a left through oncoming traffic says that you should keep your wheels pointed straight until you are ready to go because if you get rear ended while your wheels are pointing to the left you will likely get launched into the oncoming traffic. So if you are like me and follows this technique you are like to have the engine stop on you while you were trying to make a left.

In any case, this is just one reason why I think the lack of permanent off makes this car bad. And again, I understand that it can be useful but I don't understand why it's forced upon you (if somebody says "hey there is a button just turn it off" I will have a heard attack).
      04-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #76
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Brightest idea yet! Soon enough you will have to have a pre-flight check list of what to do before starting your car.

All of those that say "hey there is a button just turn it off" are really missing the big picture.

One of the things I read about this "feature" was that if your wheels are not pointing straight then it will not engage, which is great at the 1st glance because it conveys the notion that if you are standing still waiting for the incoming traffic to open up so you can make a left you will not have this system die on you. The old school take on how to properly make a left through oncoming traffic says that you should keep your wheels pointed straight until you are ready to go because if you get rear ended while your wheels are pointing to the left you will likely get launched into the oncoming traffic. So if you are like me and follows this technique you are like to have the engine stop on you while you were trying to make a left.

In any case, this is just one reason why I think the lack of permanent off makes this car bad. And again, I understand that it can be useful but I don't understand why it's forced upon you (if somebody says "hey there is a button just turn it off" I will have a heard attack).
I have my pre flight check list.

fuel.......check
rpms......check
Hit DTC button....Check
ASS off.....check.....oops hit engine off button since I can't see the fricking ASS button!
Hit start again....now I'm good to go!

Do we need to call the tower so we can taxi?
      04-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #77
BXL4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Alpine White

Not if you are backing out of an uncontrolled garage!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #78
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Jesus christ.

I completely sympathise with those experiencing technical faults with the system. I also find it a bit odd that BMW force US models to use the system by default since it seems to be a European, not US, legal requirement.

But banging on about wear & tear when noone here except perhaps 'Fleet has a clue about how the system really works, or about how it's been designed not to wear out, is completely daft - many car manufacturers have been using the SAME system for years in Europe already, so it's not new.

Even if it might cause problems 5 years down the line, why are you buying a brand new model of car if you're worried about that? It's 3-ish year old technology. It might go wrong after 4 years, it might go wrong after 10. That goes for everything new or new-ish - active suspension, active headlights, new engines like the N20, etc etc etc.

Thanks for injecting some sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #79
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post

I have had it (A.S.S.) for a long time and it is no big deal, people are just ridiculous. My point was that if it is constantly engaging in traffic turn the f-ing thing off. How hard is that? No harder than skipping the latest Lady Gaga crap.

Get over it and realize that all cars will have this in the next 18 months. It saves fuel. If we all saved a gallon (meant MPG) a day prices would be less and we would not be fighting 18 wars to secure more oil... rant over.

Last edited by mapezzul; 04-13-2012 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #80
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Naaaaa, that's a pipe dream. If we saved a gallon a day, the oil companies would just make less gas to keep supply the same and keep prices up. I wouldn't mind ASS if it didn't feel like it does. Go drive a GM car with E assist and you don't even feel the car shudder like the BMW's do. I know the GM system is completely different, but it is transparant. I don't need to turn it off everytime I get in the car.
      04-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #81
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
You don't get the point. The reason I am here is that I love bmws, just don't agree to this 'go green' direction. In the end, this is what I will buy, just hate that I will have to put up with ASS.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #82
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
+1

Because at the end of the day, the new 3 is still the best Sports Sedan on the market, which has been affirmed by the majority of the comparos/reviews. Some folks would rather complain and nit-pick instead of looking at the big picture.
Why does this have to be personal? You do understand that its because of enthusiasts like us that there is still some sport left in today's cars, what with the enviro-fanatics forcing direction change to completely passive driving?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #83
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Making crud up? Can you point to a link which shows a 1 mpg saving due to ASS? It is all a gimmick to show 'we are enviro friendly'

In any case, who the heck are you to tell me what to buy or what not to? I dislike having to press a button each time I drive off - you have a problem with that? Next you are going to tell me what food I should like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Jesus christ.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #84
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have had it (A.S.S.) for a long time and it is no big deal, people are just ridiculous. My point was that if it is constantly engaging in traffic turn the f-ing thing off. How hard is that? No harder than skipping the latest Lady Gaga crap.

Get over it and realize that all cars will have this in the next 18 months. It saves fuel. If we all saved a gallon (meant MPG) a day prices would be less and we would not be fighting 18 wars to secure more oil... rant over.
Another euro smartass. If you really care about saving gasoline so much, go buy a prius.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #85
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Making crud up? Can you point to a link which shows a 1 mpg saving due to ASS? It is all a gimmick to show 'we are enviro friendly'

In any case, who the heck are you to tell me what to buy or what not to? I dislike having to press a button each time I drive off - you have a problem with that? Next you are going to tell me what food I should like?
Unfortunately Euro regulators are forcing it onto the world and the manufacturers can do nothing about it.
Even Ford and Chev have tested or installed a stop/start system to comply and most Japanese makes are also now installing it.
If manufacturers want to sell in teh larger markets tehy will have to install it.

Its is to reduce emissions in standstill traffic, not to increase MPG.
      04-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #86
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:

I vote you for the National Security Advisor of the WORLD!
      04-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #87
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Can you point to a link which shows a 1 mpg saving due to ASS? It is all a gimmick to show 'we are enviro friendly'
INTERNATIONAL ENERGY AGENCY
TECHNOLOGY AND POLICIES TO IMPROVE VEHICLE IN-USE FUEL ECONOMY

"Technology for Real Improvements on the Road"

Their study reports, in typical city driving, a gasoline vehicle can obtain a fuel economy benefit of 8 to 10% from “idle-off”, but the benefit is reduced to about 5% for a diesel, due to using less fuel in idle conditions.

"Idle-Off" is the name often used in studies, for A.S.S.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #88
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Am I the only one digging the abbreviation?

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0