F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Any Skiers/Snowboarders that drive RWD to the slopes ?
GetBMWParts

01-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #23
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Im sorry I dont care if you are going up 50 feet let alone 1000 feet in summer tires in the winter, its just plain unsafe.

You shouldnt be driving on summer tires in weather that is consistently below freezing, and snow is a definite no!

You got back safe and I am glad, but you are lucky. Its not an excuse that you were not driving fast, as slide can happen at 20 mph and once a summer tire slides good luck you will slide right off the road.

I implore you, please buy some winter tires. You can get by in the North East with some all seasons, but if you live in Maine, VT, Mass, I would go winter.

As for the OP question, you will be fine in the winter with RWD and winter tires. I have never had AWD and never been stuck in some really bad snow up and down the NE with winter tires.

AWD helps with the starting, but not much once the car is actually moving in snow, stopping and turning are all a function of the rubber you have on your car.
      01-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #24
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

You can hear stories about driving through the mountains in snow on RWD and summer tires, but one picture says it all.

Look at this guy. He can't even make it out of his driveway in a couple inches of snow. Now THAT's believable.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796238
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #25
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Yep.

2001 540i touring with snow tires. Weight in the back, golden.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #26
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

I routinely spray 40/50 gallons of water on my driveway in subzero winter temps so I can floor my RWD 328 out if the garage and laugh at the xDrive people who can't oversteer like 16 year olds at 60 mph before they reach the curb. Great fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Back already, no issues at all, never felt any loss of control or skidding. Then again, I wasn't exactly tearing it up out there. Just drive like a normal responsible person and no problems.
No normal responsible person would be on anything but dedicated winter tires when driving in winter. Good luck stopping . You sir are a menace.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #28
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

My trip to Austria went very well on my Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 ZP Run Flats. Unfortunately for my analysis of the tires, the roads were clear the whole time and it didn't snow. But, I did encounter 3 in or so of slushy sloppy snow during a short stop in Munich, and packed snow on the alleys leading to my hotel in the Pitzal valley at about 2500 m or so elevation.

moving through the slush was fine with these tires, but after I parallel parked in it and went to leave, my car had sunk in a bit and I had to disengage the traction control so I could spin my way out a bit. I know I would have needed chains to completely prevent that, but some non-performance oriented winter tires may have handled it a bit better.

Similar story at the hotel. Good grip while driving up the incline on packed snow to park, but then I had to dig the car out a bit to get out without spinning. Without the winter tires though, I would have been lost...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #29
Messer-schmitt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

My ZPT summer perf tires wouldnt make it up my driveway in 2" of snow here in Iowa, so I bought the Blizzak Ws-70s. They have been amazing and perfect. The summer 155 mph rated tires are going on some new rims. I'm not calling the Zpt guy a liar. Just posting my heavy footed experience in light snow. With the Blizzaks, i'd take it to Colorado with no hesitations. And probably will.

Originally Posted by JBasham
Caddy ATS . . . finally, a decent rental car option.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #30
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
No normal responsible person would be on anything but dedicated winter tires when driving in winter. Good luck stopping . You sir are a menace.
I'm actually the safest driver in my area. Just went out again after another round of snow, in my ZPTs (Contisport SSRs), no slippage, no loss of traction, no problems. Dunno how conditions are up where you are, but over here they salt the roads while it's snowing and will continue to do so, so it's mostly just slush.

I love how you ppl all think that without winter tires cars are useless in the winter. Cars have been around for over 50 years. What you would consider winter tires have been around for maybe 10. I don't see all the roads suddenly shutting down back in 2000 whenever it snowed. Get over it. My driving in snow with ZPTs is safer than all you ppl who think it's fine to do 100 on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #31
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

lol yeah, you used to just have a bunch of idiots running around on regular tires in the snow, getting stuck and sliding in to other cars. Those who cared ran chains or studded tires through the winter. Any 'old schoolers' like my dad, still run studs on their cars (hell, I did on my old Ford Ranger back in WA, older than traction control; since chains are really only for packed snow), but chains are bad for the road... Chains are reserved for the really bad shit, like packed snow headed up to go boarding.

But, long story short, do what you want. 'Mericuh. At the end of the day, it's your insurance premium.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #32
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller View Post
lol yeah, you used to just have a bunch of idiots running around on regular tires in the snow, getting stuck and sliding in to other cars. Those who cared ran chains or studded tires through the winter. Any 'old schoolers' like my dad, still run studs on their cars (hell, I did on my old Ford Ranger back in WA, older than traction control; since chains are really only for packed snow), but chains are bad for the road... Chains are reserved for the really bad shit, like packed snow headed up to go boarding.

But, long story short, do what you want. 'Mericuh. At the end of the day, it's your insurance premium.
15 years of snow, 0 AWDs, 0 winter tires, 0 chains/studs, 4 cars (nissan sentra, ford taurus, ford explorer (never touched 4wd), now f30 328i), 0 accidents ever, never got stuck. At most rock the car a few times to get out of a parking space, or some shoveling. My insurance is 800 for 3 ppl, full coverage with 500 deductible. What now?

Being a sensible driver and keeping a light foot on the gas and being aware of other cars is the best thing you can do in bad weather. All those winter tires and AWD is gonna do jack shit if you're flooring it in 1' snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #33
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
15 years of snow, 0 AWDs, 0 winter tires, 0 chains/studs, 4 cars (nissan sentra, ford taurus, ford explorer (never touched 4wd), now f30 328i), 0 accidents ever, never got stuck. At most rock the car a few times to get out of a parking space, or some shoveling. My insurance is 800 for 3 ppl, full coverage with 500 deductible. What now?

Being a sensible driver and keeping a light foot on the gas and being aware of other cars is the best thing you can do in bad weather. All those winter tires and AWD is gonna do jack shit if you're flooring it in 1' snow.
lol you must live in or near the city. Otherwise, it's just a gamble. Just like Vegas, eventually you lose. In Germany, if you get in a wreck in the winter and you aren't wearing winter tires, you are automatically at fault. On the snow, once you get moving, moving is never the problem. lol but yes, in general, being sensible is always the way to go. But, sensible also means equipping yourself as best as you can for the conditions you may face. I have winter tires (for the law and also for what I keep on running into in winters like these) and I also have chains, just in case. Just don't be that guy. Especially in a BMW...

Last edited by KellerKiller; 01-26-2013 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #34
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller View Post
lol you must live in or near the city. Otherwise, it's just a gamble. Just like Vegas, eventually you lose. In Germany, if you get in a wreck in the winter and you aren't wearing winter tires, you are automatically at fault. On the snow, once you get moving, moving is never the problem. lol but yes, in general, being sensible is always the way to go. But, sensible also means equipping yourself as best as you can for the conditions you may face. I have winter tires (for the law and also for what I keep on running into in winters like these) and I also have chains, just in case. Just don't be that guy. Especially in a BMW...
NYC and all nearby areas are maintained 24/7 whenever there's any sign of snow. I also live in an apartment, so it's vastly impractical to have a set of winter tires and a set of normal tires, no place to store it or change it really. Obviously in Germany or some of the northern states of US (Maine, VT, etc) winter tires would be more useful/necessary. But over here it's pretty pointless.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #35
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

Loved passing every car on the freeway on the way to Holiday Valley today. xDrive and all-season Pirelli's worked great!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #36
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:

All seasons or summer tires? You can get by if you are careful on all seasons in NYC. But the poster was on summer tires. I dont think you drove all those years on summer tires, especially in the cars you listed. There is a HUGE difference between summer tires and all seasons in the snow and cold weather.
      02-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #37
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frencholivier View Post
Yup, my Subaru takes me everywhere on all-seasons. Anxiously waiting to compare to a 3-series RWD with snow tires...
It will be better....it will stop WAY faster. Jut read 2 tests of all season vs snows. Snows stop 25 ft shorter than A/S from 35 MPH. 20'+ from 20 mph.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #38
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually the safest driver in my area. Just went out again after another round of snow, in my ZPTs (Contisport SSRs), no slippage, no loss of traction, no problems. Dunno how conditions are up where you are, but over here they salt the roads while it's snowing and will continue to do so, so it's mostly just slush.

I love how you ppl all think that without winter tires cars are useless in the winter. Cars have been around for over 50 years. What you would consider winter tires have been around for maybe 10. I don't see all the roads suddenly shutting down back in 2000 whenever it snowed. Get over it. My driving in snow with ZPTs is safer than all you ppl who think it's fine to do 100 on the highway.
those are all season.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #39
einlanzer
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

Anyone have a set of chains to recommend? I don't deny that snow tires are great but living in southern california I only see snow when I go snowboarding and am getting close to the resort :P
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #40
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by einlanzer View Post
Anyone have a set of chains to recommend? I don't deny that snow tires are great but living in southern california I only see snow when I go snowboarding and am getting close to the resort :P
If you want to be sure they'll fit and won't scratch your wheels or hit the car, go to your dealer. BMW's schneeketten are pretty expensive, but that's the route I went.
Appreciate 0