F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > BMW M Performance OEM Carbon Mirror Caps - Install DIY and Photos
Extreme Powerhouse

04-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Oh these are actually a replacement. I thought they were taped on.... Totally going to buy now!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #24
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

So the stock mirror caps literally just pull off?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Bolt on CF covers make sense considering how easy they would be to steal if they just clipped in.
      07-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

I'm driving a loaner 328i right now because the dealership I am dealing with is clueless and my car is still not back from a May european delivery. But I went into the garage and yanked on the mirror cap to see how hard it is to remove and that thing didn't budge!

Now I am seriously worried about how much I have to pull and whether I could break something when I try to do it on my car...

Also, I tilted the mirror all the way up on this loaner....there is no way I can slip anything into the space at the bottom of the mirror....there's barely even a gap.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #27
rinax808
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M-Sport

Looks awesome! What do you guys think about putting these caps on a white F30 M-Sport?

Also, I don't know if someone answered this already (my bad if so) but does the OEM ones "break off" where we can't put the stock ones back on or we can?

Thanks guys
      07-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #28
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinax808 View Post
Looks awesome! What do you guys think about putting these caps on a white F30 M-Sport?

Also, I don't know if someone answered this already (my bad if so) but does the OEM ones "break off" where we can't put the stock ones back on or we can?

Thanks guys
I'll be putting them on my white car if I can figure out hos the stock caps come off. But yes, if you do it right you should be able to replace the white ones if you ever want to switch back.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #29
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

So can anyone confirm if these tabs have to be broken off just for the sake of replacing with the carbon caps or do they NEED to be broken off to remove the caps in general?

I'm trying to repaint my stock caps and will just throw them right back on the car afterwards. I'd rather not have to "break" anything if it's not completely necessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #30
FanboyBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328xi

i tried to remove it and i scratched it, and it was almost going to break, plus it was on so tight half of it wasnt going anywhere, so i just left it alone
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #31
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Those are OEM? The fitment looks terrible for OEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #32
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

What's the ballpark price for these.....I rather like them!

BTW, would be great if you did an install guide for the M Sport twin pipe exhaust tip install too! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #33
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

What's the ballpark price for these.....I rather like them!

BTW, would be great if you did an install guide for the M Sport twin pipe exhaust tip install too! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #34
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 120i M-Sport 2022

So, since I was wrapping up my interior in 3M carbon film anyway, I decided to do the mirror caps. Fake I know, but the look is what counts, right?

ANYWAY: The casings/caps are EASY to pull off...but only if you pull on the vertical part that faces in toward the window.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #35
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setright
So, since I was wrapping up my interior in 3M carbon film anyway, I decided to do the mirror caps. Fake I know, but the look is what counts, right?

ANYWAY: The casings/caps are EASY to pull off...but only if you pull on the vertical part that faces in toward the window.
Can you give a picture of where you are talking about? I am trying to wrap but the mirror didn't nudge so I left it alone.
Thanks.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #36
hnijhar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i or 435 thinkin

Having troubles removing the mirror cover. I tried pulling and prying the mirror cover but I don't wanna damage it and with pulling its hard to get good grip. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #37
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnijhar View Post
Having troubles removing the mirror cover. I tried pulling and prying the mirror cover but I don't wanna damage it and with pulling its hard to get good grip. Any tips?
I broke my mirror trying to do this... had to buy a replacement and it was $300.

I'm scared to try again...
Attached Images

2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #38
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i X Drive M Sport 6MT

Just installed them, pretty straight forward. Little nervous about taking the mirror off but if you go slow and take your time it'll come off. OEM fitment is excellent
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #39
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge View Post
There are small plastic clips that hold the original one in place. You can break them free by simply using enough force.
Picture's worth a thousand words:

I'm about to do this mod to my M2 and I was worried about reverting to stock. This pic from ECS shows how the stock mirror cap clips in to the mirror housing. Appears to me the clips that have to be broken off serve no purpose. Maybe leftovers from the plastic mold?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 01:08 AM   #40
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep

Better late than never...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
Can you give a picture of where you are talking about? I am trying to wrap but the mirror didn't nudge so I left it alone.
Thanks.

Well, I am sorry for the delay !!!

I just took a picture, but this site won't let me upload at the moment. Something about a database error.

Anyway, I use both hands and hook the nails of my three longest fingers under the edge of the mirror cap that faces inward, toward the A-pillar.

Pulling evenly, it never fails to pop off easily - like it was never meant to stay there.

Pulling anywhere else, especially along the top feels like entire mirror casing and housing are welded together. SO, if you don't feel it's easy, you are pulling on the wrong edge.
Appreciate 1
jondaman157.50
      11-17-2017, 01:12 AM   #41
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep

Database back online...and a resized jpg:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jondaman157.50
      06-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #42
AriesF80piston71
Rep
Drives: A nice car

I was looking everywhere and forgot to check here having an account and all. Thank you much for the step-by-step process and making it more clearer to me now. When I first saw those screws and compared the CF caps with the OEM ones I was in awe as I did not know how to deal with it. I was u der the impression that I just have to mount and clip the new ones. I realized that those three screws can easily fit where the three clips attached to. In the end, I only used two screws and washer for the sides and leave the middle one off as it’s difficult to insert the screws and washer without braking off the tabs. Anyway, both CF caps are both perfectly align and has a good seal surrounding the edges. I didn’t feel comfortable braking off them tags.

Thanks

BMW's OEM carbon is always top notch and their new carbon mirror caps for the F30/F20 are no different. Full carbon custruction with an OEM plastic bracket epoxied to the back side so it can mount as close to factory as possible. Their isnt much weight savings, but this is primarily a style part anyway. It does the job well. We had these on order for stock for some time, and they just came in this week.

These were a little different than the usual E9X ones we had done where they replicated all the oem clips in plastic and it was simple snap out, snap in process. These F30 ones require a little more work and the OEM instructions are extremely limited.

Since we offer these to our customers i thought it was a good idea to do a step by step photo shoot of the install and some breif instuctions. Enjoy!

Grab and pull the oem cap off starting from the top edge, then pull straight out

Tilt the mirror lense up as much as possible, then using a plastic panel tool or similar pull the lense outware at a slight upward motion

Youll see the wires for the mirror lense/heating element. They do not need to be unclipped if you rest it on the window sil

3 tabs that are located where the oem cap clips in

Push in and break off the 3 tabs

Put the mirror cap on the front side making sure it rests in the little catches

New holes for the mounting screws and washers to go into

3 bolts, 3 washers

Fasten til snug with a torx driver

Installed hardware, clip mirror back in so that its orientated with the plastic receivers

Front finished view

Side finished view

Look for more installs and details on BMW M Performance parts an others![/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #43
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesF80piston71 View Post
I was looking everywhere and forgot to check here having an account and all. Thank you much for the step-by-step process and making it more clearer to me now. When I first saw those screws and compared the CF caps with the OEM ones I was in awe as I did not know how to deal with it. I was u der the impression that I just have to mount and clip the new ones. I realized that those three screws can easily fit where the three clips attached to. In the end, I only used two screws and washer for the sides and leave the middle one off as it's difficult to insert the screws and washer without braking off the tabs. Anyway, both CF caps are both perfectly align and has a good seal surrounding the edges. I didn't feel comfortable braking off them tags.
Is that possible to install the oem cf caps without breaking the tabs? I haven't taken out my mirrors yet but those washers look much bigger than the tabs do? Curious to see if you have any pictures of the install!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #44
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesF80piston71 View Post
I was looking everywhere and forgot to check here having an account and all. Thank you much for the step-by-step process and making it more clearer to me now. When I first saw those screws and compared the CF caps with the OEM ones I was in awe as I did not know how to deal with it. I was u der the impression that I just have to mount and clip the new ones. I realized that those three screws can easily fit where the three clips attached to. In the end, I only used two screws and washer for the sides and leave the middle one off as it's difficult to insert the screws and washer without braking off the tabs. Anyway, both CF caps are both perfectly align and has a good seal surrounding the edges. I didn't feel comfortable braking off them tags.
Is that possible to install the oem cf caps without breaking the tabs? I haven't taken out my mirrors yet but those washers look much bigger than the tabs do? Curious to see if you have any pictures of the install!
Yes you can install without breaking anything just takes a bit of finesse to get the washer around.
Appreciate 0