F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions > Why was my post removed and no indication given to me as to why?
Studio RSR
Closed Thread

11-07-2015, 03:43 AM   #1
Shaun135i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e82 135i Coupe 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Why was my post removed and no indication given to me as to why?

I posted a few days ago about a friendly BMW meet and it seems it was deleted? Any mod who wants to explain what I did wrong feel free to Pvt me rather than just deleting my post and not giving a reason why? Thanks looks forward to a explanation?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Well... first it wasn't me who deleted it. But I can see why it was deleted. Topics like a local car show meet should be posted in the REGIONAL (sub)forums and NOT the general forum section.

You are always free to create a new thread you know. ?

As to why some members posts get deleted its probably bc you are trolling that thread or trying to me a smart a$$. Its easy for a thread to go way off topic, so those kinds of posts get deleted.

Dack
Appreciate 4
      11-07-2015, 06:10 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Well... first it wasn't me who deleted it. But I can see why it was deleted. Topics like a local car show meet should be posted in the REGIONAL (sub)forums and NOT the general forum section.

As to why some members posts get deleted its probably bc you are trolling that thread or trying to me a smart a$$. Its easy for a thread to go way off topic, so those kinds of posts get deleted.

Dack
An excellent point. Please bear in mind many people are not trolls and post in a manner as such as to not offend.

In this case does it not make sense to explain by PM or otherwise the reason for editing a post or even deleting it? Being autocratic and just deleting or modifying stuff without explanation might be in the rules, but in my view it is rude to do so.

Doing it in such an abrupt manner is akin to a policeman stopping you and giving you an on the spot fine of say £100 ( or whatever) and not telling you what it was for but just saying you are breaking the rules.

By the way, I am an administrator on a well known Flight Simulator forum and I always explain my actions. I think it is imperative in this day and age.

Thanks for your consideration in this matter.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Dack
Thanks for clarifying
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
Shaun135i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e82 135i Coupe 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone

Dack
Thank you, I was not mad I was just wondering what I did wrong mostly lol and it seems I posted it in the wrong area? So that was my mistake I have been on other forums where they simply just move the thread to the correct location rather than deleting it but maybe those abilities are not something the mods do and it's just easier to delete. But would have been nice if a msg was sent to me explaining that I wrongfully posted in the wrong area ya know out of courtesy for its members that keep the form alive? Anyways thank you and it makes sense. Have a great weekend!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun135i View Post
Thank you, I was not mad I was just wondering what I did wrong mostly lol and it seems I posted it in the wrong area? So that was my mistake I have been on other forums where they simply just move the thread to the correct location rather than deleting it but maybe those abilities are not something the mods do and it's just easier to delete. But would have been nice if a msg was sent to me explaining that I wrongfully posted in the wrong area ya know out of courtesy for its members that keep the form alive? Anyways thank you and it makes sense. Have a great weekend!
Yes it would be nice but notification is not always done on any forum. You can also Pm the Mods if you do have questions.

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/ann....php?f=133&a=2
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

One challenge here is time vs. the size of the user base and volume of posts. You might be aware of the huge popularity of the Bimmerpost forums. Furthermore, there are many complexities within the colorful array of personalities in the luxury automotive enthusiast community. Finally, the nature of the material discussed here can make the forums a big target for those who may wish to stir up trouble.

As a result, as a moderator of this site, it may not be uncommon to have dozens if not hundreds of posts in a single forum to moderate in one day. And for consistency sake, there is only so much subdivision of work that can be done on a practical level.

When I get inquiries from folks about moved or deleted posts, or any other forum action for that matter, I always provide an answer. But it may take some time to recieve a reply. Furthermore, I go out of my way not to delete any post which is not blatantly an egregious violation of the rules. In fact, even when a post does fall under that category, I will sometimes engage or challenge the user in hopes of reaching them. When a post is merely off topic, it may be moved elsewhere. If, as a user, you believe a post of yours has been deleted, check your post history to see if it might have simply been moved somewhere else.

Another point I'd like to add is that if you see a post that violates forum rules, report it. If you reply to it instead, even if you add content that's of value, a moderator may have to delete your post because it contains references to the offending post. Once things are intertwined, it can be extremely difficult to separate the good from bad. Though I do take pains to do so because I hate to see anyone's efforts wasted.

Take care, and continue to enjoy the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
An excellent point. Please bear in mind many people are not trolls and post in a manner as such as to not offend.

In this case does it not make sense to explain by PM or otherwise the reason for editing a post or even deleting it? Being autocratic and just deleting or modifying stuff without explanation might be in the rules, but in my view it is rude to do so.

Doing it in such an abrupt manner is akin to a policeman stopping you and giving you an on the spot fine of say £100 ( or whatever) and not telling you what it was for but just saying you are breaking the rules.

By the way, I am an administrator on a well known Flight Simulator forum and I always explain my actions. I think it is imperative in this day and age.

Thanks for your consideration in this matter.
Appreciate 2
Closed Thread