F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Lessons I've Learned on Building a F3X
proTUNING Freaks

09-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Lessons I've Learned on Building a F3X

Living in Canada limited my choices to mainly xdrive for F30 unless I spring for the 340i. So I thought I chose the best configured F30 for me. Here are my lessons learned from ordering a xdrive 328i:

Don't go for DHP or 2VF (adaptive suspension)
If you're planning to modify your car, getting adaptive suspension really limits your choices of coil overs or shocks if you plan to keep EDC functionality in your car. Sure you can code it out and disconnect it but why pay for it in the first place (unless you read below and got it for the upgraded brakes and/or VSS). And waiting for shocks that support the OEM EDC takes a long time to come out.

But if you're stuck with xdrive with its high ride height and base suspension then go for adaptive suspension and get Dinan Shockware to reduce the bounce. It's not enough for me but perhaps good enough for some?

What's a few thousand?
The N26 on the 328i is good power but you definitely don't feel it at the line. Go with the B58. Right now I'm looking at a few stage 1s for a power boost - perhaps I'll spring for a JB4 if I feel like tinkering. With the 335i/340i, if you also spring for M sport (Canada) or THP (US - you can get this on any trim, unlike Canada), you get 4 piston front calipers and possibly 1 or 2 pistons rear rather than the single for front and rear on the 320i/328i/330i models for any trim (except with THP in the US).

Get a popular variant
Getting xdrive or getting less popular variants like a F33 hampers modification choices. The performance parts come out for RWD much earlier. For example Dinan springs come out earlier for RWD and Bilstein B16 damptronics are only announced for RWD. Dinan springs aren't tested for F31 touring.

Learn to do it yourself
The oil change intervals suggested by BMW is so long. It's best to change an additional time between the regularly scheduled and it's best to do it yourself - an oil change is $100+ :| Most people charge $100 to code a F30 when you can do it yourself for $20. Installing Dinan springs cost $1000+ at a dealer.

Know what M Performance stuff you want
If you're in the US and for some items in Canada, buy your accessories with your new car and make sure to have the accessories installed at port so you can save on the installation cost. In Canada, it's a bit more limited as I've heard MPPK installed at port but dealer insisting lips, spoilers, etc must be installed at dealer but it's worth trying

Those are just a few things I wished I knew when I ordered my new BMW. Feel free to add your thoughts to this thread

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug

Last edited by anotheran; 09-16-2016 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Lots of opinions and theories on changing oil earlier than when BMW will do it. Unless you have an actual oil analysis conducted, not sure where getting oil changed sooner is any better (other than piece of mind).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAK92 View Post
Lots of opinions and theories on changing oil earlier than when BMW will do it. Unless you have an actual oil analysis conducted, not sure where getting oil changed sooner is any better (other than piece of mind).
I don't disagree. Oil change intervals is definitely a personal choice. But main point I wanted to get across was doing it yourself to save a lot of money. The F30 platform needs a lot of tweaks to get the most out of it

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #4
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
My car is leased I'm ok with BMW's oil change interval.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Deciding on AWD vs. RWD based on mod availability seems like a bad idea to me . . . . that topic has been beaten to death though.

I agree on DIYing when you can, though not for financial reasons, more for the enjoyment/learning experience. That only works if it fits into your schedule though, to a lot of people time is more valuable than money. Frankly if the cost of oil changes is a major factor to you, then modding a brand new BMW may not be the best financial decision.

EDC is complicating my suspension process a bit, I'll give you that. But since I wanted the Track Handling Package either way there was no avoiding it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
With the 335i/340i, if you also spring for M sport, you get 4 piston front calipers and possibly 1 or 2 pistons rear rather than the single for front and rear on the 320i/328i/330i models for any trim.
Note that with the introduction of the M-Sport package for 328i for 2015.5MY, they come with the 4 piston front calipers and single piston rear brakes.

Otherwise, 335 and 340s in Canada are only available in M-Sport (unless specially ordered)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Agree with everything author says.. except I love my adaptive suspension..
And yes RWD over AWD for availability in modding
Appreciate 0