F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Not exactly sure what my options are to remove a scratch.
Studio RSR

04-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

If you can feel the scratch it is likely that even a medium to heavy compound will not take it out. The only way to get it back to 100% is to have it painted and re-clear coated. if you would be happy with 99% you could wet sand. I had a similar scratch on my right front fender. I used 2000/3000 Grit 3M Wet/Dry Sandpaper and quick detailer to sand. I had no previous experience other than watching some videos on youtube and was able to get a very good result. You will need to determine if the scratch is just in the clear-coat or down to the base. When you wet the scratch, do you still see the white scratch or does it disappear when wet? if it goes away chances are the scratch is only in the clear coat and you will be able to sand. If the scratch does not go away when wet then we-sanding will not work.

Process I used (Your results may vary and I am not an expert)

Note: You can damage your paint if you sand too deeply removing too much clear exposing the base paint.
Be sure to clean and dry the area using quick detailer and a Micro-fibre towel after each step.
Work out of direct sun on a cool surface

1. Wash the area and dry with microfibre towel.

2. Clay bar the scratch area to remove any contamination, Wash + Dry

3. Using 2000 Grit Wet Sandpaper. Wet the area to be sanded and the sandpaper with quick detailer (always keep the sandpaper and the area wet). Sand the area of the scratch with only light pressure in as small an area as possible. The idea is to remove as little clear coat as possible while flattening out the scratch. The area you are sanding will become foggy, thats ok. you will start to see white in the liquid on the surface, this is micro-particles of clear that you have removed. I used the 2000 grit sparringly and only for a few passes before moving onto the 3000 Grit. The 3000 grit is really fine so you will cycle between sanding and wiping the area off to inspect the scratch. once the scratch is very fine and hardly noticible you can move on to compounding. I reccomend a Dual Action Pollisher with Foam Applicators, with elbow grease can be done by hand.

4. Compound the scratch area using a DA Polisher, a medium/light cutting pad and medium compound using a back and forth then up and down motion. the area will loose the fog and shine up

5. Polish the area using a DA Polisher. a Polishing pad and polishing compound using the same motion as compounding.

6. Seal using a true paint sealant to add protection to the reapired area. follow the instruction that come with your product as every sealant is different.

7. Let the sealant cure and wax the area as you normally would.
*** I would reccomend multiple layers of sealant see your product for details on layering

Products I used:
Flex DA Polisher
Lake Country CCS Foam Pads Orange(Cutting), White(Polishing) and Black(Finishing)
3M Wet/Dry Sandpaper 2000 and 3000 Grit
Meguires Ultimate Compound
Klasse All in One Polish
Klasse Glaze Sealant
Maguires Quick Detailer
Maguires ClayBar

PM me if you have any question. it can be done easily if you are carefull and it will save an expensive repair.

Kevin

Last edited by KevRyd; 04-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

what about the Turtle Wax Scratch Repair Kit?? any input with it on his scratch from you guys that seem to know more about removing scratches that we do? I have a few I need to take off as well.