F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Most pointless feature/option on an F30
GetBMWParts

10-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #199
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
NEVER had rubber mats in any car. Most cars (including BMW) come with mats that perfectly match the car's interior and are dead easy to clean. If you really need a car with rubber mats perhaps a Transit van would be more appropriate to your needs. If you get a white one I think you will find they can out perform any BMW on the road........
I always found that over time, the carpeted mats lose the threads where your heel rests. That annoys me more than the BMW OEM rubber mats.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #200
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

The most pointless feature has to be the automatic start-stop.

Also the "mpg" dial on the console, I never look at it! I calculate my mpg from fulltank to fulltank and I don't obsess over it when driving.

Most embarrassing omission is the lack of ability to switch to the next *random* song from the steering wheel.
      10-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #201
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
The most pointless feature has to be the automatic start-stop.

Also the "mpg" dial on the console, I never look at it! I calculate my mpg from fulltank to fulltank and I don't obsess over it when driving.

Most embarrassing omission is the lack of ability to switch to the next *random* song from the steering wheel.
Completely disagree with the first two, but that's obviously heavily opinion based.

but.. COMPLETELY AGREE on the next song from the steering wheel (random is even worse) but even if you're on a playlist or listening to a CD/Radio Station you have to hope you have to scroll to the next song/station you want. Hope you have HUD, at least there you can see what you're choosing from.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #202
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
i wish they would close automatcailly when you lock the doors and open up when you unlock
On my UK spec 520D they fold in if you hold the lock button on the key fob. (Same action as when you auto close all the windows and roof). Then when you next unlock the car they fold out automatically....
      10-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #203
vahiker99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus View Post
after having the car for ~7 months, i mostly love it. however, this is a thread for peeves. here goes:

- the lack of a hard detent for the turn signals. minor quibble, but i tend to fumble around w/ the stalk and end up putting it on the wrong signal direction in an attempt to stop it.
At first, I had the same problem, but found if I push the turn signal down to turn it on, then I just push it down again to turn it off. Same with right, push it up to turn it on, push it up to turn it off. Before learning this and being used to the hard click with the stalk, I seemed to always turn it on the other direction, when trying to turn off the signal. Hope this helps....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #204
sparc
plug
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus View Post
after having the car for ~7 months, i mostly love it. however, this is a thread for peeves. here goes:

- the foot-actuated trunk opens about half the time.

- there is no button on the steering wheel to advance an audio track. really dumb.

- locks. i would rather have all the locks open when the car is turned off. i can't count the times i've gotten out of the car and went to get something in my back seat only to find that the door is still locked.

i think that's about it. like i said, i am 99% happy with the car, but as always, there's room for improvements.
The trunk works for me 99% of the time. learning curve, stand at least 1.5-2ft back from trunk and kick-in and kick-out.

scroll wheel on the right side of steering wheel that lets me select tracks, radios stations

My doors are unlocked while i'm driving and while parked. Only time they lock is when I manually lock them. Maybe a configuration is all that is needed in iDrive
      10-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #205
narlus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahiker99 View Post
At first, I had the same problem, but found if I push the turn signal down to turn it on, then I just push it down again to turn it off. Same with right, push it up to turn it on, push it up to turn it off. Before learning this and being used to the hard click with the stalk, I seemed to always turn it on the other direction, when trying to turn off the signal. Hope this helps....
thanks, I'll try that. I think have played around w/ it in the past and didn't get it to work 100% but will give it another turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparc View Post
The trunk works for me 99% of the time. learning curve, stand at least 1.5-2ft back from trunk and kick-in and kick-out.

scroll wheel on the right side of steering wheel that lets me select tracks, radios stations

My doors are unlocked while i'm driving and while parked. Only time they lock is when I manually lock them. Maybe a configuration is all that is needed in iDrive
maybe I'm standing too close to the car? i'll step back a bit next time i try to open the trunk.

the scroll wheel won't advance a track when playing random shuffle, will it?

yeah, i know i can set the locks differently but for some reason i like the auto-lock when the car starts in motion. maybe i've got a subliminal fear of car jacking
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #206
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

The pointless part aside from the stupid cup holder cover will be the jacket hanger, I can't put a jacket in as the hook is fixed and the rear seat handle was so close to the hook!

Ordered Due August 2017: 2017 Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TFSI Quattro MY17 S-Line, Exclusive Nogaro Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #207
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Hmmmm.....

....I don't know that I could call any feature on my F30 pointless to be honest. I will say that the trunk pop sensor could have been better implemented though.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #208
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

trunk mat clip (when up) blocks all lighting
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #209
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

The shoe shine kit.
      10-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #210
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Pretty sure it's a configuration. Mine lock when I get in the car (or maybe once I start moving) automatically.

My most pointless feature would be the two pull method to getting out of the car (one to unlock the door one to open) so I often just push the all unlock button to avoid it. Wish the doors unlocked when i tried to get out like a lot of other cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #211
Mamasgotkids
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I don't like that my car asks me every single time I turn it on to agree not to use the navi while driving. I always hit accept (my husband ignores it and the screen does eventually disappear) but really, why ask? Yes, I know I'm stupid if I use it while flying down I90 at 75 mph. We could also say the same about touching the radio, using Bluetooth, drinking coffee.

I don't know why this little screen annoys me so much but it does.

I also don't like pushing the gear selector forward for reverse. It's illogical. I've almost run into the trash cans in front of my car in my garage numerous times.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #212
Mamasgotkids
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle
Quote:
Pretty sure it's a configuration. Mine lock when I get in the car (or maybe once I start moving) automatically.

My most pointless feature would be the two pull method to getting out of the car (one to unlock the door one to open) so I often just push the all unlock button to avoid it. Wish the doors unlocked when i tried to get out like a lot of other cars.
Our sales person coded ours to the 2 pull to exit the car. I'm pretty sure somewhere in the idiotic system that is iDrive you can change it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #213
UltimateB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Looking forward to the heated stearing wheel and seats, especially in Canadian winters.

What I don't like is the location of the button to turn on heated steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #214
rayg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasgotkids View Post
I don't like that my car asks me every single time I turn it on to agree not to use the navi while driving. I always hit accept (my husband ignores it and the screen does eventually disappear) but really, why ask? Yes, I know I'm stupid if I use it while flying down I90 at 75 mph. We could also say the same about touching the radio, using Bluetooth, drinking coffee. I don't know why this little screen annoys me so much but it does.
That drives me nuts too, however it's in there either to cover their ass or if the government mandates it for safety reasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #215
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasgotkids
I don't like that my car asks me every single time I turn it on to agree not to use the navi while driving. I always hit accept (my husband ignores it and the screen does eventually disappear) but really, why ask? Yes, I know I'm stupid if I use it while flying down I90 at 75 mph. We could also say the same about touching the radio, using Bluetooth, drinking coffee.

I don't know why this little screen annoys me so much but it does.

I also don't like pushing the gear selector forward for reverse. It's illogical. I've almost run into the trash cans in front of my car in my garage numerous times.
Code it out!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #216
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasgotkids View Post
This reversing action with other auto functions, like park position, etc., was made standard across the industry many years ago. See your Federal regulations, it is not a BMW issue.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #217
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have read numerous posts complaining about the lack of advancing a track from the steering wheel.

Scroll wheel, folks. Scroll wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #218
jorgex
Second Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F30 - E92, E90, E46 (Retired)

Garage List
BMW Live option... is better burn your money!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #219
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayg View Post
That drives me nuts too, however it's in there either to cover their ass or if the government mandates it for safety reasons.
Yeah i agree with you. This is annoying to me as well.

But if you are able to code it, do so. I did thanks to "Frogman" and now i never i have to see it ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I have read numerous posts complaining about the lack of advancing a track from the steering wheel.

yes, but it's not the same thing as a simple "next" button...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #220
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40

I've seen multiple scroll wheel replies .
Scroll wheel won't take you to the next random song (at least in the base idrive).

On the E90, they had arrows on the wheel and it used to do exactly what you wanted. If you're just listening to an album, it would move to the next song. If you're listening to random songs across albums, across genres and across artists, it would move to the next random song. I'm missing that, since my music is always on random mode.