F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Standard stereo is not good
ARMA SPEED

06-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Scudder
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Standard stereo is not good

I am loving the new car with one exception... the stock stereo really kinda sucks. I'm not sure why I did not pick up on this more in the test drives. But it is really tinny (especially in HD Radio) and sounds fairly awful at low volumes. Sound improves a bit when played at higher volumes (if bass/treble are adjusted up a ways and fader emphasizes back speakers) but overall I am quite disappointed with the stereo. I did not realize how important it was to me until I find myself annoyed by how cheap it sounds in such a nice car. The stock stereo in my 10 year old Chevy Impala regrettably sounded better.

Having said that, I hate how much they wanted to charge for the upgraded sound system is but I can see why people spring for it given how cruddy the standard system sounds. I wish I had an option to pay a reasonable price for a better sound system. I'm assuming anything aftermarket would potentially void the car's warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Hm, that's odd... most reviews on here have stated the opposite, so I opted out of the HK system since I'm not audiophile. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Teixido
Rep
Drives: 320d Black Saphire Sport (ord)

I would have to agree with you, in fact, I was about to post a question on whether one can change the crappy speakers with something else and if so, to what? I remember on my previous car changing the speakers was not an option because they had some sort of fiber optics connections.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teixido View Post
I would have to agree with you, in fact, I was about to post a question on whether one can change the crappy speakers with something else and if so, to what? I remember on my previous car changing the speakers was not an option because they had some sort of fiber optics connections.
Does ur car have the EU/ROW base system which has only got 4 spks plus 2 underseat subs? That system on the E9x was atrocious.
The US-spec cars come as standard the 9 spk "hi-fi" system, which is optional equipment for most markets. That, according to a lot of ppl, is rather acceptable without the urgent need to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudder View Post
But it is really tinny (especially in HD Radio) and sounds fairly awful at low volumes. Sound improves a bit when played at higher volumes (if bass/treble are adjusted up a ways and fader emphasizes back speakers) but overall I am quite disappointed with the stereo.
From wht I heard HD radio is not the last word in sound quality. Maybe ur spkrs need running-in in order to deliver wht was experienced during ur test drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Teixido
Rep
Drives: 320d Black Saphire Sport (ord)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Does ur car have the EU/ROW base system which has only got 4 spks plus 2 underseat subs? That system on the E9x was atrocious.
The US-spec cars come as standard the 9 spk "hi-fi" system, which is optional equipment for most markets. That, according to a lot of ppl, is rather acceptable without the urgent need to upgrade.
Yes, exactly. That's the one I have and it's awful. PLEASE TELL ME THERE'S HOPE for my ears :-D
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
rmnoonan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328I (July '12 ED)

It's $600 upgrade, it's not that much when you consider split seats is $450.
Appreciate 0