F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Life's Little Pleasures One Can Enjoy While Driving
GetBMWParts

06-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Life's Little Pleasures One Can Enjoy While Driving

I started this thread because I recently completed a couple of the key goals I'd set for my life. I thought, then, about what aspect(s) of "me" allowed me to do that. I realized it was that in nearly every situation I find myself, I take the time to find something about it I like, even if I was sitting in a jail cell after having been apprehended for allegedly DUI. (The police's claim; I did not admit to being intoxicated, and I won in court, but there I sat in a jail cell all the same.)

Like many of you I spend a fair amount of time in my car. Thus, if one cannot find things to enjoy while driving, one spends a good deal of time, if not specifically unhappy, not happy. And I chose this particular situation to ask you folks about because there are only so many pleasurable things one can do relatively safely while also driving a car. So if you can't readily come up with some things on your own, perhaps you'll consider what I and others post here as suggestions you may care to try out. I wondered what things/activities are on your lists because it hurt to try to find the joy in things you may not have before considered as capable of giving any. Things that come to mind for me:

• Commercial-free, talk-free, music only radio
  • Automatic windshield wipers
  • McDonald's sweet tea
  • The 250th - 300th horses under hood
  • Deftly dodging divots and potholes
And here's something my ex-wife would have said: seeing the sun make my engagement ring go bling.

She won't say that now, because I got that big ass f*cker (2 ct. main stone and eight 20 pointers) back as part of the division of property and had it set into a pinky ring. But on the rare occasions I wear it during the day when the sun shines brightly, I have to give the demon her due and agree that it's a joyful thing to see the bling from that ring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 06-14-2012 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Grammar and typo adjustments/corrections
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
There are only so many pleasurable things one can do relatively safely while also driving a car. I wondered what things/activities are on your lists. Things that come to mind for me:

• McDonald's sweet
And here's something my ex-wife would have said: seeing the sun make my engagement ring go bling.

She wouldn't say that now, because I got that big ass f*cker (2 ct. main stone and eight 20 pointers) back as part of the division of property and had it set into a pinky ring. But on the rare occasions I wear it during the day when the sun shines brightly, I have to give the demon her due and agree that it's a joyful thing to see the bling from that ring.

I dont get this?
      06-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
There are only so many pleasurable things one can do relatively safely while also driving a car. I wondered what things/activities are on your lists. Things that come to mind for me:

• McDonald's sweet

She wouldn't say that now, because I got that big ass f*cker (2 ct. main stone and eight 20 pointers) back as part of the division of property and had it set into a pinky ring. But on the rare occasions I wear it during the day when the sun shines brightly, I have to give the demon her due and agree that it's a joyful thing to see the bling from that ring.

that's awesome! At least you got that big f$&@ker back! At least she won't get half your F30
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

2 carat diamond and... 0.820 oz. gold ring?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbahoshy View Post
that's awesome! At least you got that big f$&@ker back! At least she won't get half your F30
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
2 carat diamond and... 0.820 oz. gold ring?

What is it you want to know that I haven't already said?

Or are you wondering how one could consider anything related to 2 carats of diamond to be a "little pleasure?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What is it you want to know that I haven't already said?

Or are you wondering how one could consider anything related to 2 carats of diamond to be a "little pleasure?"
don't mind me... i thought i answer Maz's question. i may have misundertood his question, to be honest
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
don't mind me... i thought i answer Maz's question. i may have misundertood his question, to be honest

Guys I posted my question in a very weird way. Apologies!

But Tony dont worry man she wasnt worth it. Good luck with your life's little and BIG pleasures...

06-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:

• McDonald's sweet tea

She won't say that now, because I got that big ass f*cker (2 ct. main stone and eight 20 pointers) back as part of the division of property and had it set into a pinky ring. But on the rare occasions I wear it during the day when the sun shines brightly, I have to give the demon her due and agree that it's a joyful thing to see the bling from that ring.
Hilarious!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
...and had it set into a pinky ring.
Oh, God, no.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Pinky ring? :S

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Guess I'm doing it wrong, I only have 140hp in the Miata. But at least I don't have a pinky ring.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Guess I'm doing it wrong, I only have 140hp in the Miata. But at least I don't have a pinky ring.
Well, OK...Dei gustibus non dispuntandum est. I've never really been a herd animal, particularly in matters of style, politics, and personal presence. I'm more a pack member, sometimes leading, sometimes laying back, sometimes forging out alone on a personal sojourn, but always of the pack, not the herd.

It's likely there are a lot of things among my personal belongings that other folks don't have and don't like. That's OK. Nobody needs more than 140 hp nor a pinkie ring. Everybody needs something that makes them stand out in a crowd.

I have a blue-black dinner jacket that I sometimes wear with my memorial pinky ring. Both have given rise to some interesting conversations and wonderful friendships/acquaintances. Not that they were the focus of said conversations, but they gave some interesting folks an easy reason to introduce themselves to me. And

I think even you would agree that at a black-tie social event, an seemingly 36-ish gym-rat, whom you know must be closer to 50-something than 30-anything, clad in hand tailored attire and sporting a giant pinkie ring is someone, who if nothing else, would be good for 30 seconds of interesting chit-chat as you both wait for your drinks at the bar. Even if you don't, I have three clients and several lady-friends who did.

Unrelated comment:
The older I get and the more I write, the better I understand William Faulkner. I don't know if that's a good thing, but learning is learning.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Well, OK...Dei gustibus non dispuntandum est. I've never really been a herd animal, particularly in matters of style, politics, and personal presence. I'm more a pack member, sometimes leading, sometimes laying back, sometimes forging out alone on a personal sojourn, but always of the pack, not the herd.

It's likely there are a lot of things among my personal belongings that other folks don't have and don't like. That's OK. Nobody needs more than 140 hp nor a pinkie ring. Everybody needs something that makes them stand out in a crowd.

I have a blue-black dinner jacket that I sometimes wear with my memorial pinky ring. Both have given rise to some interesting conversations and wonderful friendships/acquaintances. Not that they were the focus of said conversations, but they gave some interesting folks an easy reason to introduce themselves to me. And

I think even you would agree that at a black-tie social event, an seemingly 36-ish gym-rat, whom you know must be closer to 50-something than 30-anything, clad in hand tailored attire and sporting a giant pinkie ring is someone, who if nothing else, would be good for 30 seconds of interesting chit-chat as you both wait for your drinks at the bar. Even if you don't, I have three clients and several lady-friends who did.

Unrelated comment:
The older I get and the more I write, the better I understand William Faulkner. I don't know if that's a good thing, but learning is learning.
Life needs more characters like you Tony!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:

Unrelated comment:

One word : PIMP ! I mean it in the sincerest form!! Good for you Tony. I can tell you would be a blast to hang out with and have a couple of drinks !

Big $ss pinky ring reminds me of the Godfather for some reason!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

TY sr5959 and lbahoshy.

Being possessed of self-awareness, intrepidity, sanguinity, and pluck usually isn't how we begin life. Eventually, if each of us to thine own self remain true, most of us get there. That didn't fully materialize for me until I was in my early 40s. It was then that I knew why youth is wasted on the young.

Many folks discover their true nature, but the compromise themselves in order to obtain friends, careers, money, etc. I did the same thing for a time, and then I realized I could not always win the battle and that there are a great many battles I'd just as soon not enter.

To illustrate: In my firm, we have annual evaluations for every employee/partner, with one as the highest rating and four as the lowest. The firm believes the ratings assigned should more or less follow a bell curve, so ratings are force ranked when after the initial assessments are done, we find there are too many ones, we nit pick and carry on until we have the "right" ratio of ones, one-minuses, two-pluses, twos, threes and fours.

I don't believe in force ranking, but I'm in no position to change it. Economic considerations prohibit us from giving 70% of the staff the top salary increase and the top performers would be ticked off if they didn't receive very good increases. For my part, I have long advocated just increasing the standards that define what it takes to get a one, but that's yet to happen.

Anyway, once, after having worked like a dog for well over 2800 hours that year, assuming multiple leadership roles and performing tasks normally assigned to folks at the next job-grade up from mine, and still earning a one-minus, I made a conscious decision that I had no interest in working hard enough to earn a one. I was already earning more than enough money -- more would have been nice, but the extra amount I'd have earned had I got ones (rather than one-minuses and two pluses) every year would not have been enough to change my lifestyle.

Upon making that decision, I went to my boss and shared it with him, letting him know, I am quite happy in the firm, and I'm always willing to go the extra mile, until I'm not. I told him further that I could not predict when I wouldn't be, but there will doubtlessly come a time when he'd ask me to do something and doing it will compromise one or more things that are more important to me than the firm. Finally, I told him: If you folks actually believe I deserve a one in any given year, I'll gladly agree with your assessment of my performance.

I have been more satisfied with myself and my career after making that decision than I ever was before doing so.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep

Well said Tony. Life is too short; enjoy it and be true to yourself and your values.

Back to the original point of the post; on a nice day, I'll just get in the car, turn OFF the music and just go for a drive and be in sync with the car. Just the interplay between steering feel, clutch, gear shifting, throttle, braking and the balance of the car - it can be so relaxing. No other gizmos, no Nav, phone , just you and the car on a nice road. It's perfect!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbahoshy View Post
Well said Tony. Life is too short; enjoy it and be true to yourself and your values.

Back to the original point of the post; on a nice day, I'll just get in the car, turn OFF the music and just go for a drive and be in sync with the car. Just the interplay between steering feel, clutch, gear shifting, throttle, braking and the balance of the car - it can be so relaxing. No other gizmos, no Nav, phone , just you and the car on a nice road. It's perfect!
Amen!

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #19
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

I can't believe no-one said joe blob.
      06-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
I can't believe no-one said joe blob.
I guess the folks on the forum don't care to share or don't enjoy any small pleasures as they drive.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #21
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

So I went to an event this weekend and wore my pinkie ring. I now get what my ex likes about seeing the sun make a diamond go bling.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #22
teen335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport

Quote:
So I went to an event this weekend and wore my pinkie ring. I now get what my ex likes about seeing the sun make a diamond go bling.
Appreciate 0