F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Muffler Delete 2018 440i F36
GetBMWParts

01-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #1
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC & 2017 x5

Muffler Delete 2018 440i F36

I'm thinking about doing a muffler delete on my 2018 440 f36. It sounds good stock but I want more pops and sound. I have a video on my IG - shahini_f36. Can't seem to post video here.

Only thing is I don't want drone inside if I muffler delete it. If anyone done it already pls share ur experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Deleting the muffler won't give you more "pops", it'll just make the exhaust louder. Get an aftermarket axle-back exhaust if you want better sound.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 2
eluded3038.00
      01-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
XCRN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, 1995 525i

Though a much different animal, I had an E39 530i that had the muffler cutoff close to the rear wheels. I honestly did not realize it was gone until I got the car on a lift about a week after I purchased it. But there was no droning into the cabin. It was a very good sound it produced, though not very loud.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Wait....you bought a 440 f36....2018 so its brand new. Get a full catback exhaust. Don't be cheap. Now if you bought a used a BMW thats a different story....just my 2 cents....I have 2016 428i f36 and have a quad awe exhaust on it. I just can't do a hack job on my baby.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Look in the engine section for posts on the subject.

There will be drone.

Here's my review when I had a muffler delete for a limited time:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1404245
      01-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #6
BowzerF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i PS2

Another option is taking mid pipe resonator out
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 04:49 AM   #7
XCRN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, 1995 525i

Do F3x use mid mufflers or just resonators? The E39 had a mid muffler and kept it down. If the F3x only use resonators then what I said earlier might not work as well as I put off.

I still plan to do this since I can get it done cheap enough where if I dont like it, I am not out a lot.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

From what I've seen there's no drone when cruising. I actually think that's the route I'll be going as well. I do agree though it won't add pops. Just a louder deep tone. You'll have to remove the resonators if you want more rasp/pops.

And a muffler delete is not a "hack job." The muffler shop will weld up the piping the same way that AWE does, except they don't charge a 400% markup to stamp their name on your exhaust tips. It's a pretty common mod across all makes and models. It doesn't have to cost $1000s to get good sound. You could even have a shop make your own axle back with an aftermarket muffler for $500.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 3
      01-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #9
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
From what I've seen there's no drone when cruising. I actually think that's the route I'll be going as well. I do agree though it won't add pops. Just a louder deep tone. You'll have to remove the resonators if you want more rasp/pops.

And a muffler delete is not a "hack job." The muffler shop will weld up the piping the same way that AWE does, except they don't charge a 400% markup to stamp their name on your exhaust tips. It's a pretty common mod across all makes and models. It doesn't have to cost $1000s to get good sound. You could even have a shop make your own axle back with an aftermarket muffler for $500.
I'm thinking to do the res delete and muffler delete. Ye Idn why everyone saying it's being cheap. The car already sounds good just needs some clear way.

Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowzerF30 View Post
Another option is taking mid pipe resonator out
Deff the res delete will get more pops.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahiniBmw View Post
I'm thinking to do the res delete and muffler delete. Ye Idn why everyone saying it's being cheap. The car already sounds good just needs some clear way.

Thanks man
No problem. I feel just like you, where I like the tone already and just want some more volume. I've gone through different exhausts on other cars trying to go with what's popular and not being satisfied, so this time I'm doing what I want to up front.

I don't know why folks on bimmerpost would rather pay 3x the cost for the same result. Like I've heard multiple times that it specifically shouldn't be done on a new car, but it's ok on older cars...why? Who am I trying to impress with a mod list? I'll gladly keep the cash and put it towards something else, while anyone driving by me will not be able to tell the difference. I think a lot of it has to do with our engines, because no one seems opposed to deletes on v8 cars (AMGs, M5s, RS7s, etc.).

Also keep in mind that the 1st resonator can be removed for cheap but the 2nd might take some work, because it has a round inlet and oval outlet. I'm not sure if removing one res or the other vs both makes that big of a difference, but I'd guess that the 1st res is most effective for eliminating pops anyway since it is closer to the engine. It'll be loud, but all up to your personal taste. My personal taste is I want to hear my car all the time, including low rev/idle burbles while driving in town. I don't want to be limited to hearing it only when I floor it or when I flip a switch to loud mode (that ends up barely making it louder).

Good luck. And post vids when it's complete.
Appreciate 1
Orpo25.50
      01-20-2018, 12:21 AM   #12
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahiniBmw View Post

Thanks man
No problem. I feel just like you, where I like the tone already and just want some more volume. I've gone through different exhausts on other cars trying to go with what's popular and not being satisfied, so this time I'm doing what I want to up front.

I don't know why folks on bimmerpost would rather pay 3x the cost for the same result. Like I've heard multiple times that it specifically shouldn't be done on a new car, but it's ok on older cars...why? Who am I trying to impress with a mod list? I'll gladly keep the cash and put it towards something else, while anyone driving by me will not be able to tell the difference. I think a lot of it has to do with our engines, because no one seems opposed to deletes on v8 cars (AMGs, M5s, RS7s, etc.).

Also keep in mind that the 1st resonator can be removed for cheap but the 2nd might take some work, because it has a round inlet and oval outlet. I'm not sure if removing one res or the other vs both makes that big of a difference, but I'd guess that the 1st res is most effective for eliminating pops anyway since it is closer to the engine. It'll be loud, but all up to your personal taste. My personal taste is I want to hear my car all the time, including low rev/idle burbles while driving in town. I don't want to be limited to hearing it only when I floor it or when I flip a switch to loud mode (that ends up barely making it louder).

Good luck. And post vids when it's complete.
Thanks dude. Most likely just gunna remove the 1st and muffler. My boy has it on his f30 and he says he has no drone. Can't wait to do it and wake up some ppl hehe
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      01-20-2018, 12:40 AM   #13
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

Alright so I have lots of experience with deleting Mufflers and resonators on my car. I went state by stage on the exhaust work. First exhaust mod was deleting Mufflers, like it a lot but drone can get bad under heavy load. A week later I went in and deleted secondary resonator and it helped a little with pops but I decided to do the primary as well and that's when everything changed and pops everywhere. From my experience I've seen many people unsatisfied with drone and I recommend to everyone who has BOUGHT their car to gut their Mufflers instead of deleting them because that way you have somewhat "M performance" exhaust and also have the ability to control the valves. I've seen people who gutted the Mufflers and they all love it and has absolutely no drone. That's my 2 cents

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 2
kern4174446.50
Orpo25.50
      01-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #14
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 FBO

What is the secondary/primary resonator delete?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #15
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F30 View Post
Alright so I have lots of experience with deleting Mufflers and resonators on my car. I went state by stage on the exhaust work. First exhaust mod was deleting Mufflers, like it a lot but drone can get bad under heavy load. A week later I went in and deleted secondary resonator and it helped a little with pops but I decided to do the primary as well and that's when everything changed and pops everywhere. From my experience I've seen many people unsatisfied with drone and I recommend to everyone who has BOUGHT their car to gut their Mufflers instead of deleting them because that way you have somewhat "M performance" exhaust and also have the ability to control the valves. I've seen people who gutted the Mufflers and they all love it and has absolutely no drone. That's my 2 cents
This is interesting too. I remember reading that someone else kept their flap on one side with their muffler delete, and they said the flap acted like a helmholtz resonator. Still louder than stock, but then you can open the flap for more of a raw straight pipe effect. I'm not sure if it's worth it but also an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #16
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is interesting too. I remember reading that someone else kept their flap on one side with their muffler delete, and they said the flap acted like a helmholtz resonator. Still louder than stock, but then you can open the flap for more of a raw straight pipe effect. I'm not sure if it's worth it but also an option.
I don't recommend that. My old car (f30 335) I had a muffler delete and I kept the exhaust flaps on, but after a month or so I kept hearing metal contacting metal on cold starts and what do you know, it was the exhaust flap. Don't know what made it start having contact with the piping, but as soon as I took the flap out it stopped making the noise and the car didn't sound like it was breaking on startup. If you have the opportunity to do the muffler gut I'd do it if I were you. It shouldn't cost more than $60-100 because all your Muffler shop has to do is open the muffler up, take all of the "silencer" material out and weld it back shot and weld it onto your exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #17
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm actually trying to buy the stock exhaust to see how His comes out. I think it's a good solution for people who are leasing their cars and also don't want to spend much on exhaust. Let's see what happens!

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #18
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't recommend that. My old car (f30 335) I had a muffler delete and I kept the exhaust flaps on, but after a month or so I kept hearing metal contacting metal on cold starts and what do you know, it was the exhaust flap. Don't know what made it start having contact with the piping, but as soon as I took the flap out it stopped making the noise and the car didn't sound like it was breaking on startup. If you have the opportunity to do the muffler gut I'd do it if I were you. It shouldn't cost more than $60-100 because all your Muffler shop has to do is open the muffler up, take all of the "silencer" material out and weld it back shot and weld it onto your exhaust.
This. There are some pretty extensive threads on how to do this. You keep the drone down but you get a deeper tone. This is a mod. Hacking off parts of your car is just a lazy and cheap way of trying to get a better sound. And to say there is absolutely no drone after taking off the muffler and resonator is a lie. There will always be terrible drone under heavy load.

I deleted my muffler on my B7 S4 and it made the V8 sound glorious on flat roads but droned like a fucking monster on slow uphills. It's always been like this. Nevertheless, the drone got so bad it was one of the reasons (along with shitty MPG) I sold it for the F30.
      01-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #19
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
This. There are some pretty extensive threads on how to do this. You keep the drone down but you get a deeper tone. This is a mod. Hacking off parts of your car is just a lazy and cheap way of trying to get a better sound. And to say there is absolutely no drone after taking off the muffler and resonator is a lie. There will always be terrible drone under heavy load.
I guess our definition of drone is different. Drone means you hear exhaust noise while cruising at speed, so there is no such thing as "Drone under load." I hear the fake engine noise through our speakers when going up a hill too, or i down shift if I don't want to hear as much.

Personally i like that effect. Like I said previously, I don't want to have to floor it to hear the car. I love low rpm rumbles and burbles. So something like this is right up my alley.

You guys have to get a grip on reality here. You are glorifying a lot of extra labor for no additional return. It's like gutting a catalytic converter vs welding on a test pipe. If you like the stealth look, more power to you. But there is nothing more notable about gutting your muffler vs welding on a straight pipe.

And at the end of the day it's ridiculous that companies like Fabspeed can sell you the same thing for almost $1000 and no one seems to think anything's wrong with that. Just make sure it doesn't look like this and you'll be fine.

Appreciate 1
      01-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #20
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I guess our definition of drone is different. Drone means you hear exhaust noise while cruising at speed, so there is no such thing as "Drone under load." I hear the fake engine noise through our speakers when going up a hill too, or i down shift if I don't want to hear as much.

Personally i like that effect. Like I said previously, I don't want to have to floor it to hear the car. I love low rpm rumbles and burbles. So something like this is right up my alley.

You guys have to get a grip on reality here. You are glorifying a lot of extra labor for no additional return. It's like gutting a catalytic converter vs welding on a test pipe. If you like the stealth look, more power to you. But there is nothing more notable about gutting your muffler vs welding on a straight pipe.

And at the end of the day it's ridiculous that companies like Fabspeed can sell you the same thing for almost $1000 and no one seems to think anything's wrong with that. Just make sure it doesn't look like this and you'll be fine.

But there is. If you're going up a hill at low RPM it'll drone. I had a V8 and it droned like a mad man. Made me look like a total dick. Lol

The exhaust mod does make a difference though as you remove the silencing material from one chamber and move it to the other chamber. There is a stark difference in sound. There's a thread you can hear the difference.

FWIW, I agree that fabspeed exhaust is literally just a fancy muffler delete. As beautiful as the welding is, it's not worth 1k+
      01-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #21
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
But there is. If you're going up a hill at low RPM it'll drone. I had a V8 and it droned like a mad man. Made me look like a total dick. Lol

The exhaust mod does make a difference though as you remove the silencing material from one chamber and move it to the other chamber. There is a stark difference in sound. There's a thread you can hear the difference.

FWIW, I agree that fabspeed exhaust is literally just a fancy muffler delete. As beautiful as the welding is, it's not worth 1k+
Maybe we're talking about different things. The one I saw, a guy welded up all the holes that opened up to the muffler, so it made it a straight pipe. Replacing that with actual pipe and removing the casing should be no different. If anything, removing the muffler and welding some pipe in it's place is the proper way to do things rather than putting bugger welds all over the existing pipe.

Edit: Found it.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=819125

And here's the guy that kept his flap with the muffler delete, but it looks like his video was deleted.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1218716
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #22
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe we're talking about different things. The one I saw, a guy welded up all the holes that opened up to the muffler, so it made it a straight pipe. Replacing that with actual pipe and removing the casing should be no different. If anything, removing the muffler and welding some pipe in it's place is the proper way to do things rather than putting bugger welds all over the existing pipe.

Edit: Found it.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=819125

And here's the guy that kept his flap with the muffler delete, but it looks like his video was deleted.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1218716
Yea that first one is the one I was talking about. I think it's because there's still silencing material inside the chamber? Never heard it in person though.