BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Closed Thread

08-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Parents these days...

So I go to my local Cheever gas station and see a pretty nice looking light blue M3. I see RPI exhaust, HRE P40 wheels and a very young kid standing next to it looking back at mine. I assume its the owners son.

So I'm filling my car up and said kid walks over to me and asks what bumper I have? Bumper??? Its the stock bumper. Do you mean my lip? I tell him what brand it is and now hes asking me if I have a super charger. I ask him if that M3 was his and he says YES???

I'm not kidding guys, this kid looked 14yrs old! I immediately asked him, what do you do for a living to afford such a nice car. He looks at me, smiles and says... "good grades and stuff". I immediately ask him how old he is and he tell me hes only 16yrs old and has only been driving 4 months!!!

I told him, "I don't mean to sound like a dick, but your parents should be ashamed of themselves. No kid should be given a M3 as a first car period". The kid tells me he actually hears that a lot from other people. I would hope so. What is this world coming to?

Even if I was the richest man in the world, my son is going to EARN his car just like I did. By getting a job!! I might loan him a down payment (like 3K for a normal 1st car), but sure as hell am not outright buying him a 60K car for good grades! I'm sorry, but I think that's horrible parenting! Horrible!

I know its becoming the norm these days. But I don't have to like it.

/end of rant

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 08-29-2012 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: spelling...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Your avatar says that you "love haters!". lol aren't you a hater in this rant of yours?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

No problem with a 60-80k car for a kid if the family has the money, but a 414bhp sports coupe is incredibly dangerous in the hands of a 21 year old let alone a 16 year old. A 528 would've been far safer, or a base Range Rover Sport.

If I have a son I'll get him a new first car, but it'll be a Jetta or something else fairly slow but safe.

Still I wouldn't have been mean to the kid, I'd have simply said "be careful."
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Was he asian? More specifically, Korean?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: Too slow

There's a difference between working hard and deserving. If the kid deserved it w/ his good grades and what not, and if the parents are able to afford it, then why the hell not. To the kid, you sounded like a complete dick, and I'm sure a lot of other people have too.

Granted though, a 400hp car should not be a first car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
If you dont like 16yo with M3s deff don't watch this

Has anybody considered that he might have been lying?
      08-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

a young man driving an m3 is like giving a child a loaded gun. someone is going to get hurt.
      08-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

I don't see the reason to disrespect the kid, I really don't. You have put yourself below him IMO. He wasn't trying to show off, he was simply trying to strike up a conversation, so be it that he was confused about the lip/bumper. I can see what you mean about him being young n all but you really killed it with what you said to him.

I don't think I'd wanna tell you I'm 21 and who bought the car for me. Oh snap, you already thought it was my parents. --> sarcasm in truth.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVitO View Post
There's a difference between working hard and deserving. If the kid deserved it w/ his good grades and what not, and if the parents are able to afford it, then why the hell not. To the kid, you sounded like a complete dick, and I'm sure a lot of other people have too.

I agree, but even if i could afford it. My kids gonna get a old ass beater even if his old man is rocking a lambo. Gotta teach them while they're young.
      08-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Triumph 675

Hating on the riff raff
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

"Well-deserved M3": because I worked hard for my good grades
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

I had to work hard for my car like the kid too. I literally had to WALK into the dealership and WRITE them a check. It was exhausting but I did it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
Your avatar says that you "love haters!". lol aren't you a hater in this rant of yours?
Takes one to know one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter View Post
No problem with a 60-80k car for a kid if the family has the money, but a 414bhp sports coupe is incredibly dangerous in the hands of a 21 year old let alone a 16 year old. A 528 would've been far safer, or a base Range Rover Sport.

If I have a son I'll get him a new first car, but it'll be a Jetta or something else fairly slow but safe.

Still I wouldn't have been mean to the kid, I'd have simply said "be careful."
I told him upfront I didnt mean to be a dick. Which to me, means Im going to tell you something your not going to like. If he didnt approach me, I wouldnt have said a word to him. My diss was more towards his parents anyhow. And I think he knew dam well he didnt desirve such a car because he tried to justify it by saying his it was all his dads doing. And I actually did tell him to be safe as I walked away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post
Was he asian? More specifically, Korean?
Nope, odd looking scrawny white boy. EDIT: he actually had long braided "rat tail" off the right side of his neck hairline. I havent seen a Rat tail since the 80's
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVitO View Post

I like your last sentence the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
a young man driving an m3 is like giving a child a loaded gun. someone is going to get hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
I don't see the reason to disrespect the kid, I really don't. You have put yourself below him IMO. He wasn't trying to show off, he was simply trying to strike up a conversation, so be it that he was confused about the lip/bumper. I can see what you mean about him being young n all but you really killed it with what you said to him.

I don't think I'd wanna tell you I'm 21 and who bought the car for me. Oh snap, you already thought it was my parents. --> sarcasm in truth.
No offense to you, but I would expect this kind of response from you. If you are in fact 21. I dont see how you could possibly understand parenting at this age of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
I agree, but even if i could afford it. My kids gonna get a old ass beater even if his old man is rocking a lambo. Gotta teach them while they're young.
Im with you man.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 08-28-2012 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [9.00]
Seen many of these stories.
And to be honest, it's nothing special anymore.

I even see college kids driving Murcielago, Maserati, R8, etc.. Those are much more than a M3.

Don't be jealous because they got rich parents. If my kid makes me proud and had good grades, he'll get an m3 (if i can afford one for him). Makes me proud that my kid is driving a car I dream of driving as a kid.

Oh, and it's not the horsepower that kills someone, it's the stupid actions that they do. Any car can go wrong with anyone.

Hope your not being a "DICK" because your parents didn't buy you the car (instead had to wait til 35+ to own a m3).

Last edited by 哇靠M3; 08-28-2012 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Takes one to know one!

I told him upfront I didnt mean to be a dick. Which to me, means Im going to tell you something your not going to like. If he didnt approach me, I wouldnt have said a word to him. My diss was more towards his parents anyhow. And I think he knew dam well he didnt desirve such a car because he tried to justify it by saying his it was all his dads doing. And I actually did tell him to be safe as I walked away...

sounds like your 16 also. saying im not trying to be a dick actually means im going to be one now so get ready. it doesnt just excuse what you say after it.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
sounds like your 16 also. saying im not trying to be a dick actually means im going to be one now so get ready. it doesnt just excuse what you say after it.
Sorry you feel that way. I guess Im a 16yr old dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAHHKAOOM3 View Post
Seen many of these stories.
And to be honest, it's nothing special anymore.

I even see college kids driving Murcielago, Maserati, R8, etc.. Those are much more than a M3. No way in hell they made enough money for those car either @ college age.

Don't be jealous because they got rich parents. If my kid makes me proud and had good grades, he'll get an m3 (if i can afford one for him). Makes me proud that my kid is driving a car I dream of driving as a kid.
Im far from jealous... I can afford a much nicer car than a M3. I can afford to buy my son a much nicer car than a M3.

I refuse to hinder my sons ability to be a man and buy one on his own. You got to pay to play. Getting a free ride is just that. It teaches you NOTHING. You grow up not understanding the value of the dollar. And when kids that parents buy these cars for grow up and actually become adults, they get a swift kick in the head when they realize REAL WORLD life isnt like mommy and daddy made it for them growing up. Unless of course they are still attached to the nipple at 37.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #18
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Im far from jealous... I can afford a much nicer car than a M3. I can afford to buy my son a much nicer car than a M3.

I refuse to hinder my sons ability to be a man and buy one on his own. You got to pay to play. Getting a free ride is just that. It teaches you NOTHING. You grow up not understanding the value of the dollar. And when kids that parents buy these cars for grow up and actually become adults, they get a swift kick in the head when they realize REAL WORLD life isnt like mommy and daddy made it for them growing up. Unless of course they are still attached to the nipple at 37.
Not trying to sound like a dick, but I "hope your not trying to protect your ego here."

end of rant.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

I had a 550hp chevelle when I was 16. Thats a whole lot more dangerous than an M3. So I would not have a problem letting my kid drive my cars so long as he shows responsibility. I have seen same amount if 30+y/o act childish in high ho cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #20
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAHHKAOOM3 View Post
Not trying to sound like a dick, but I "hope your not trying to protect your ego here."

end of rant.

HaHa.

You are right though... its nothing special anymore. Its all over where I live so I should just get over it I guess. I just refuse to parent my children this way.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #21
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjay View Post
I had a 550hp chevelle when I was 16. Thats a whole lot more dangerous than an M3. So I would not have a problem letting my kid drive my cars so long as he shows responsibility. I have seen same amount if 30+y/o act childish in high ho cars.

To be honest, I think I have more of an issue with the cars cost than the power. You can just as easily kill youself in a 98HP civic. I just cant for the life of me understand why some people think its ok to give your child a 60K+ first car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #22
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Racism, ageism, wealthism, this thread's got it all. Nice. Don't you guys tire of the same boring debate? I mean, the last basic repetition of this topic isn't even that old.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734883

Also, are you serious that you said that to this kid's face? I mean, at that age I was driving a Toyota Camry, but I mean, say I was that young and driving this car, I'd still think that you were out of line. Are you people just jealous because you never got M3's at this age? Or do you people just not have anything better to do in life than to go around to those more well-off younger kids and tell them off because of your insecurities? Are you going to bitch to every single random kid with a post-40k car in the hopes that they'll run home to their mommies and daddies and tell them that some insecure old asshole told them off, and that they should sell their car right away because it's the socially respectable (albeit not financially wise) thing to do in a single person's eyes? The world isn't going to change because you think you have the right to bitch out this kid, nor should it just because you and other racist, ageist, wealthist, unjustified, prejudice prunes think it should. I brought up some points in the previous iteration of this comment, shame no one really felt like addressing any, and just proceeded to whine like a group of prepubescent children.

Hell, I've seen kids do stupid, stupid things even in cars without this much power, and I've seen people in their late 30's and 40's do stupid, stupid things in public settings in cheaper and more expensive cars as well. If you're really that much older, then act that much wiser as well, grow up. Show it in your actions. Your tripping out in public at this kid isn't proving what a sophisticated and responsible older gentlemen you are, it's just proving that you're spiteful of others circumstances, and probably doing nothing but reinforcing this kid's RETARDED notions that "haters gonna hate" and "I love haters" (what dumb nonsense that people spout to justify their self-implemented superiority, just like raceism, ageism, wealthism, sexism, etc., because they can't get over the fact that they don't actually have any additional justifiable greatness over others, if that kid went home and said that stupid crap I'd probably smack him for it if I was his parents).

Last edited by LateBraking; 08-29-2012 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread