F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 335i Dinan stage 2
Studio RSR

05-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Sodhi16
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M Performancm Editio

F30 335i Dinan stage 2

Aswel as a full army trix exhaust might get a dinan stage 2 tune.
Before people say yes I'm well aware of a jb4 but I'm not interested in this item or a piggy back tune.
After doing research the jb4 is not for me and the dinan will add on to the mppk which is standard on my m performance edition.
Again price is not an issue. I spent ALOT of money for my my car so a couple grand on dinan isn't gonna hurt me.
Yes jb4 are recommended by a lot of people but personally my opinion is people on a budget. Yes dinan can charge a lot more because of the brand but your paying for the extensive market research and dyno testing which do a lot more then just turning up the boost. I brought a BMW not a Honda/Nissan.

But please people with experience of a dinan tune on there f30 please let me know your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodhi16 View Post
Aswel as a full army trix exhaust might get a dinan stage 2 tune.
Before people say yes I'm well aware of a jb4 but I'm not interested in this item or a piggy back tune.
After doing research the jb4 is not for me and the dinan will add on to the mppk which is standard on my m performance edition.
Again price is not an issue. I spent ALOT of money for my my car so a couple grand on dinan isn't gonna hurt me.
Yes jb4 are recommended by a lot of people but personally my opinion is people on a budget. Yes dinan can charge a lot more because of the brand but your paying for the extensive market research and dyno testing which do a lot more then just turning up the boost. I brought a BMW not a Honda/Nissan.

But please people with experience of a dinan tune on there f30 please let me know your thoughts
Lol. You obviously have been fed the wrong information.

Dinan IS a piggyback tune as well.

JB4 isn't just for people on a budget, you have guys here using it as a boost controller on 35i's making over 500WHP with stage 2 turbos. Tell me that's someone on a budget.

There was a reason why Steven Dinan sold his company, Dinan just isn't the same anymore.

There are people here who know what overpriced is, and Dinan is overpriced. Someone with JB4 stage 2 will outrun you in the 1/4 mile while you try to figure out why you paid 2-3x the price for something that is slower. Not to mention, the warranty is a hit or miss, if the Dinan dealer decides to not cover you if you blow something, well, you're kinda screwed. There are a couple things Dinan makes that are great, but their piggyback tuner box isn't one of them. I highly support JB4 because of their customizability and amazing customer support, I ran into firmware update problems with mine, and I emailed them about it, and it was fixed within hours.

That nearly 3000$ stage 4 Dinan piggyback you buy, you can use that money to be nearly FBO with JB4.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Sodhi16
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Nice will see what's best option for me then as want a jb4 that won't override my mppk.
Does the jb4 require a downpipe. Was wondering whether I could get it before my army trix full exhaust or wait till after. Would a stage 1 jb4 be the way to go to keep my mppk
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Save your money on buying a DinanTronics @ retail...I've got a DT S2 for sale (for F30/F32 with MPPK) at less than 1/2 off...

BTW, I'm one of those people (FBO S2) using JB4 strictly as a boost controller...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
Sodhi16
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

So could someone tell me which jb tune won't clear my mppk
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodhi16 View Post
So could someone tell me which jb tune won't clear my mppk

No tune (Flash, JB4 or DinanTronics) will clear your MPPK...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
Sodhi16
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Oh really that is a shame as I hear the mppk is what gives the burbles when changing gear and more noise from my mpe all of which I enjoy
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #8
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Did you not understand the response?

None of the piggyback systems will negate your MMPK. They may however be additive in terms of boost levels. That may not be good thing. You should consider contacting the manufacturer of the piggyback system and asking them about the use on an MMPK equipped car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #9
Sodhi16
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Sorry I misread the comment. I have sent an email to burger tuning and have a dinan/jb4 expert from my dealer contacting me within the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
Did you not understand the response?

None of the piggyback systems will negate your MMPK. They may however be additive in terms of boost levels. That may not be good thing. You should consider contacting the manufacturer of the piggyback system and asking them about the use on an MMPK equipped car.
Slightly untrue. The jb1 stacks on top of mppk. Jb4 supersedes it, and runs it's own target boost. It's pointless running Jb4 on top of mppk (don't bother getting mppk then)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #11
Sodhi16
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

This is the response from burger tuning

You need our F series N55 JB4 - 1/2/3/4 series electronic wastegate.
Power kit is what another 25hp? It's a software tune.
You can't simply stock up tunes and expect the power to keep adding.
So the car with power kit or not JB4 still takes over for tuning and adds the power.
Either way you will be making 40+ wheel hp more over your power kit on map 1.

So is the jb1 completely different to the jb4. I can't see it advertised on there website. And also there advisor didn't mention the jb1

Also mppk is on my car standard as it is an m performance edition
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #12
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Yes they are two different things. The one is a quick & dirty device without much in the way off extras.

The 4 will carry a number of different programs so you can switch tunes on the fly.

Program 0 is you stock tune/MPPK & it remains untouched with the JB4 the other tunes 1, 2 & so on the device run different boost levels & some fare fully customizable ones if you want.

Based on what you have posted you need to do some homework to understand what you are getting into. For a lot of guys the base JB is fine for other the JB4 is the way to go.

BTW this is real old data but supports what was posted by chaungo.

The JB4 in this case was the old pre-ISO version that was obsolete. The JB4 had a FMIC on it & that is all. The Dinan (the flash not piggy back) was level 3 with everything on it. Key is the MPH number. The times are close due to variances in the 60ft time (traction) but the Dinan was making less horsepower as shown by the slower speed.

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--335i-D...l?resultpage=9

Cars number 168/169

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #13
Sodhi16
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thank you for an knowledgeable clear response which there should be more of on these forums.
Ok that sounds interesting, I defo need to research more we still confused by different products etc and people say so many different things even burgers response wasn't the most helpful.
Personally I'm not gonna go crazy with the mods. I don't want to lose my mppk and want something that can work in tandem with it.
The only mod I will carry out is a full exhaust with catless downpipe.
Personally what would you suggest. There is no difference in price to be fair.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
Sodhi16
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

So been doing a bit more research and still baffled. Burger are saying there tune won't work with the mppk and will override it but many of you fellow owners are saying the jb1 will work along side however the jb4 won't.

I think I may leave it for now and just go for the full exhaust and maybe down the line see.

My advisor at BMW has the same car as me but a manual where mine is zf and is running a stage 1 with downpipe so I think I will get him to come over and take both cars out and see how much faster his is if the mppk has been overided by his tune and what the extra 10-20hp gain really looks like on the road between the 2.
I have been out in his car but personally didn't feel it to be much faster then my own only noticeable different was the awesome noise of the bms intake and downpipe!
Appreciate 0