F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > ZDB/ACC Automatic Emergency Braking
ARMA SPEED

12-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
bosjt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d X-Drive

ZDB/ACC Automatic Emergency Braking

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
In this press release BMW announces that automatic braking safety features are now incorporated into "luxury sedan and further BMW models" from Summer 2013 and forward. Until now, I was under the impression that automatic braking required the front bumper RADAR unit installed with the ACC Stop and Go package, which is a $1,200 option here in the US. I have a 328d on order with ZDB but without ACC and I'm wondering what I'll be missing. I'm not in stop and go traffic often but preventing that one potential accident could justify the extra cost.

The BMW release says "...Driving Assistant comprises the Lane Departure Warning as well as a pedestrian and collision warning with braking function." I'm sure they didn't mean the Driver Assistance Package (ZDA) but rather the Driver Assistance Plus Package (ZDB) which includes the KAFAS camera.

The KAFAS camera has recently been upgraded by BMW from this supplier http://www.mobileye.com/markets/oem/...w-launch-2013/ and from the vendor web site it looks like camera-only collision mitigation technology is catching up or replacing RADAR based technology. However, full safety benefits currently require both camera and RADAR in combination, meaning "maximum automatic deceleration, if necessary" and system activation at speeds over 35mph.

If anyone has a 3-Series from "Summer 2013" or later with either ZDA/ZDB-only or ZDA/ZDB+ACC I'd appreciate hearing any experiences you have with the features.
Appreciate 0