F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
Extreme Powerhouse

10-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #573
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

To those that say it's not a design issue, I disagree.

I, myself as an engineer, when I design a product, I design it for 100% of my customers. I don't design a product and say for this percentage of my customers it will perform this way, and for that percentage of customers it will perform that way. My products aren't a crap shoot. Anything that adversely affects peformance in any way that was not planned is a design flaw, even it happens to a certain percentage of products. Tolerance stack ups, incompatablity analysis, failure mode analysis, and testing regimen should have brought this problem to light before production. That's why engineers do those things in the first place. If their R & D process didn't detect this problem, then perhaps they need to take a long hard look at their R & D process.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #574
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

Update:
Took my car in this morning to have them look hub/wheel interface based on the latest bulletin noted earlier in this thread. I know this is most likely not the issue and if it's not fixed, I will be calling BMWNA to start the whole "fix it or give me a new car" process. I had my Dad drive my car this weekend and asked him (without telling him specifically) if he noticed anything strange in the way it drove. He said "it drives great, with the exception of this steering wheel shimmy." That just further solidified the fact that I'm not imagining the issue. Also, my loaner this morning was a brand new '13 F30 Sport with 325mi on the odometer. Between the drive from the dealership to my office, there was ZERO vibration.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #575
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Hi everyone,

I started a survey to try to substantiate the link between the steering wheel vibration and the Dynamic Handling Package. Please take a minute and answer the survey at http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12875547

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #576
nsquared
[Versatile]
Rep
Drives: (S)LOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
Update:
Took my car in this morning to have them look hub/wheel interface based on the latest bulletin noted earlier in this thread. I know this is most likely not the issue and if it's not fixed, I will be calling BMWNA to start the whole "fix it or give me a new car" process. I had my Dad drive my car this weekend and asked him (without telling him specifically) if he noticed anything strange in the way it drove. He said "it drives great, with the exception of this steering wheel shimmy." That just further solidified the fact that I'm not imagining the issue. Also, my loaner this morning was a brand new '13 F30 Sport with 325mi on the odometer. Between the drive from the dealership to my office, there was ZERO vibration.
Nice, keep us posted.
'20 AW F87 X3MC - Sold
Current: `23 Chalk G80 M3CX | Ordered: '24 M3CS - Week37 build.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #577
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
To those that say it's not a design issue, I disagree.

I, myself as an engineer.....

Anything that adversely affects peformance in any way that was not planned is a design flaw, even it happens to a certain percentage of products. Tolerance stack ups, incompatablity analysis, failure mode analysis, and testing regimen should have brought this problem to light before production. That's why engineers do those things in the first place. If their R & D process didn't detect this problem, then perhaps they need to take a long hard look at their R & D process.
I'm not sure how you can say it is a design fault. I've spent most of my career in product design and production of mechanical units. Until the cause of an issue is identified, I'd not say a problem is definitely a design fault/design issue. Design can be fine, but something else in the production/quality processes can be at fault.

Definitely there is some issue in TQM, but what it is at this stage, even BMW may not have fully identified or appraised.

Sure we don't expect something like this from BMW, what I ask, are we sure how big an issue this steering vibration really is? Also is every claim to steering vibration, the same issue? Forums are known to skew statistics.

We have the issue here in the UK where the BMW diesel engines, (M47 in particular) are putting failing swirl flaps through the engines with total write-off. No one can establish the percentage of engines that are failing. BMW say it is small, but forums make it appear as a massive problem, as if virtually every M47/57 engine is being written off over time. Companies are offering swirl flap removal on the back of the panic.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #578
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

We have the issue here in the UK where the BMW diesel engines, (M47 in particular) are putting failing swirl flaps through the engines with total write-off. No one can establish the percentage of engines that are failing. BMW say it is small, but forums make it appear as a massive problem, as if virtually every M47/57 engine is being written off over time. Companies are offering swirl flap removal on the back of the panic.

HighlandPete
According to what I've read, the issue is with the screws that back out and fall into the cylinder/valves, thus causing damage. Supposedly BMW has a new screwless plate they are retrofitting into cars to eliminate the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #579
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Here's a video I shot with my iPhone one morning. It's not that great since I was driving, but the vibration was typical of what I feel every day. Sometimes it's worse, sometimes I can barely see/feel it. I don't know if I'm particularly sensitive to it or mine is worse in intensity, but I can always feel as well as see the vibes. I noticed mine with about 400 miles on the car when the new car euphoria wore off. They road-forced the car, but nothing changed. I waited until after break in to see if anything changed, but nothing did so I have an appt scheduled for Monday morning. I know the hub/interface TSB that they just released will probably not fix it, but I just want to show that I went through the motions before I contact BMWNA.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/...B53B295AB3.mp4
from this video, i can determine my vibration problem is not as bad as everyone else is having
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #580
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
According to what I've read, the issue is with the screws that back out and fall into the cylinder/valves, thus causing damage. Supposedly BMW has a new screwless plate they are retrofitting into cars to eliminate the issue.
I know we digress from the main topic, but the swirl flap mode of failure is not quite that simple. First failures were usually the shaft shearing, so a redesign improved the strength, but some failures were the screws, other evidence shows the flaps themselves bent ahead of failure, indicating that carbon/coke build up was very much part of the problem. Certainly the screws became the weak link, even with other BMW revisions with rubber inserts. Even our UK humid atmosphere and lots of short trips with diesel engines (bad for sticky carbon build up) is implicated, as other car manufacturers have swirl flap issues and worse coking issues here in the UK, than in some other markets. So issues are never that simple.

I've been in engineering long enough to appreciate if there is some issue, (however small) that is likely to come back and bite us, it will, without fail.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #581
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update from yesterday:
I got my car back yesterday and for now, the vibration is gone. The steering wheel still has some movement to it, but nothing more than just typical feedback from uneven pavement. There is no uniform frequency to the steering wheel oscillation like there was before. From what the SA said, they did a road force rebalance and put the tire with the highest value on the back...I think it was in the neighborhood of 23 but will have to check. The steering seems different now though...not bad, just different. Probably due to the wheels being rotated around on the car.

I have the square setup and was planning on rotating the tires every 5k miles, but maybe that's not a good idea if it causes vibration again. On my previous E36's the dealer did not recommend rotation. Wonder if that's still the case with the F30?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #582
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update from yesterday:
I got my car back yesterday and for now, the vibration is gone. The steering wheel still has some movement to it, but nothing more than just typical feedback from uneven pavement. There is no uniform frequency to the steering wheel oscillation like there was before. From what the SA said, they did a road force rebalance and put the tire with the highest value on the back...I think it was in the neighborhood of 23 but will have to check. The steering seems different now though...not bad, just different. Probably due to the wheels being rotated around on the car.

I have the square setup and was planning on rotating the tires every 5k miles, but maybe that's not a good idea if it causes vibration again. On my previous E36's the dealer did not recommend rotation. Wonder if that's still the case with the F30?
If this is what it takes to resolve the vibration issues, we're all setup for future nightmares. As cars age parts wear, wheels take hits and we have to buy tires. Tire manufacturers aren't going to voluntarily replace tires because BMW didn't design these cars properly. And just wait until dealers tell owners they need to buy new wheels due to runout issues. Wheels that otherwise would be acceptable for a properly designed car.

I'm not liking this already!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #583
cardnation
Güten Täg
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91 E30 & 13 F30

Quote:
If this is what it takes to resolve the vibration issues, we're all setup for future nightmares. As cars age parts wear, wheels take hits and we have to buy tires. Tire manufacturers aren't going to voluntarily replace tires because BMW didn't design these cars properly. And just wait until dealers tell owners they need to buy new wheels due to runout issues. Wheels that otherwise would be acceptable for a properly designed car.

I'm not liking this already!
I agree 100%.

My 2013 goes in tomorrow for the vibration issue, and I'm not going to be happy if the fix is stated to be a road force balance or similar, since this will do nothing for me, as it will be right back when I put my M5 reps back on.

1991 E30 318iC 5MT M20B25 swapped Vert Black - gone
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #584
f30Indy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
1982 BMW 320i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I have just been told repeatedly BMW NA and my dealer that there is no fix and that it is normal functionality for my car.
      10-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #585
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

328i only issue?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #586
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30Indy View Post
I have just been told repeatedly BMW NA and my dealer that there is no fix and that it is normal functionality for my car.
More like..."Normal functionality for an improperly designed car."

I bet this is the line of BS they'll use until the LCI in 2015.

Just makes you want to and on someone at BMWNA and AG.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #587
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30Indy
My dealer confirmed the issue and the lack of real fix. Balancing my 320 did help, but not fix. Will try road balance when available here
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #588
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

it's a total fuck up on bmw's part. no fix, but they have been good about pleasing me. seems the answer is dynamic handling package even tho its not something i would want
      10-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #589
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
it's a total fuck up on bmw's part. no fix, but they have been good about pleasing me. seems the answer is dynamic handling package even tho its not something i would want
kirklander might disagree with your assessment. Or, maybe he doesn't really have DHP? His profile says US, so its indeed possible he has the package.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/poll.p...ts&pollid=6731
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #590
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
kirklander might disagree with your assessment. Or, maybe he doesn't really have DHP? His profile says US, so its indeed possible he has the package.

yea, he might have it, but i have seen over 20 people with DHP and none of them have the issue.
      10-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #591
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F-10

Quote:

I have all except cold package. I also made BMWNA dealer confirm the vibration issue. Yet, they cannot fix. The dealer said nothing they could do.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #592
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Two days after road force balancing and while not as bad, the vibration seems to be coming back. As others have pointed out, if this is the "fix" for my vibration, it's going to come back as the tires wear or are rotated.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #593
kirklander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F-10

Good morning after supper.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #594
M.Suka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

I smell a class action lawsuit waiting to happen, hope my F30 does not have this issue because I did not notice anything when picking it up during European delivery.