F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Scratch on my new car
Extreme Powerhouse

08-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
goodad
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Scratch on my new car

I didn't see the scratch on the door until I got home. It's about 3/4" long. He held the door open for me at the dealership, so I just didn't see it. I called and brought it in the next day. They had it a day and said they fixed it. It looks like they used a paint pen, horrible job. I called someone who knows someone and got the sales manager to look at it. He said they would have to get the whole door repainted. (They are not using the guy who used the paint pen). I have a Black Sapphire 435i convertible. Will my car ever be the same with a re-painted door?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

If you can accept non-perfection then you may be fine. A coupe has a long door so keep in mind that is a large portion of new paint.
A human, not machine will be painting it so you have to expect some type of flaw (if you look Hard enough) that won't quite stack up with factory paint.

Your car is Sapphire black though. That's a good thing. If it were glacier silver or something...it would be noticible (especially under light at night).

My lower rocker panel was scraped by some snow removal truck last winter and I had the part removed and re-painted by a BMW dealer body shop friend who airbrushes my stone chips & does body work at his home garage shop. Although he did a fantastic job, there is still one inconsistency but it is only noticed by someone OCD as myself when examined/inspected inside the door where the door sills are.
I was upset that the whole incident occurred(noticed it one day when cleaning the car). Good thing is that I seem to care less about the F30 than my E88 though which is blue water metallic...no repainting will match 100% with that color.

I'm sorry I offer no advice..but I'm a perfectionist. Not sure what I would do if I were in your shoes. I'd probably demand a new car imho.

ALl that said remember that it's a car and will get other nicks, dings, flaws, etc. As a new expensive car JUST delivered...though you have to act a lil crazy.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
M-Powa!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Msport/ SQ5

I would honestly request a new car or talk with BMW of America. To have to get a brand new car repainted is pretty ridiculous. I have a feeling the car won't be the same after. Over spray, shop people getting in and out of the car as well as non OEM paint methods would get on my nerves big time. Even if the shop was 100% responsible and took the utmost care of your car the paint job won't match. The orange peel level, finish, and little things like dust particles in the paint would be different from factory.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Exterminador
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i convertible

They will never replace the car.......seriously?
Appreciate 0