F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New C&D sports sedan compare (F30 vs A4, G25, C260, S60)
Studio RSR
Closed Thread

04-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #45
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
I hope BMW is listening to all these numb steering complaints, they are coming from everyone. Hopefully a steering update will come soon similar to the 2000-2001 E46 3 series update.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #46
JBE90335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

i wish they'd compare the 335i, S60R, G37, C350 and S4
I've yet to see a review of the new benz engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #47
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned2ride View Post
Well I bought a set of RE970AS and they are very good.

Now about this comparo, at least the F30 won but here are a few disturbing parts.

Engine NVH for the 328i was the worst at 7/10... all others were 8 and above. Chassis performance is the worst and steering feel is the 2nd worst. Hell breaks loose with this; an Infiniti G25 is rated more fun-to-drive (and top pick).
The NVH is pure BS- my wife has an Audi with that engine and it is NOTHING even close to the N20 in terms of performance, NVH and economy. C&D is just doing their typical nonsense of making things appear closer than they really are.

According to the BMW engineers NVH of the N20 is slightly worse than the N52 (I have the actual hard number somewhere in my office but it looks like a bomb hit it thanks to my little guy) until 500 before redline on the N20. It is the best 4 banger I have ever driven.
      04-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #48
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

BMW screwed up with the early E46's steering too. But they eventually fixed it. So owners of the F30, keep complaining.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #49
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Even after hammering the 2.0-liter for 300 miles, it returned the best fuel *economy of  the bunch—21 mpg.
Impressive

Low-rolling-resistance rubber is designed to keep rolling, which is why the 328i stopped from 70 mph in a full-size-SUV-like 191 feet.
That sucks, if I buy this car, I am factoring new tires into the price

The brand’s obsession with even weight distribution pays handling dividends. Front and rear tires seem to work equally hard. The new 3 most closely resembles the previous car in its balanced feel and nearly neutral handling.
Nice

Our beef is that the primary communication between driver and road—the steering—is now pleading the Fifth. Please, BMW, remedy this fault.
This has been trending for awhile at BMW, I hope it reverses too

328i whose *personality is less distinct than that of the car it replaces, and we’d grown to love the old personality.
+1 and add e46 and e36 to Loved Loved the personality
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #50
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

The electronic steering system is clearly not doing it's job considering a lot of magazine reviews mentioning a lack of steering feel/feedback.

BMW should put the previous steering setup it had back on the e90 328i's . If they did that, this may be the BEST entry-level sport sedan that BMW ever made. The electronic steering system is the only downside on owning the new 328i.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #51
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

There are a lot of negative comments about the steering, but there are also different programs for driving: comfort, sport, etc. and the steering response is different!
Second the all season tires are the worst combo for the performances of the car: bad for summer conditions, insufficient for winter conditions. In Europe they are not popular at all.
This article is somehow weird for an European reader. N20 paired with the 8 speed sport auto trans it s for sure a big plus over E90 328i
So don t post comments that have nothing to do with the reality
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #52
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
The electronic steering system is clearly not doing it's job considering a lot of magazine reviews mentioning a lack of steering feel/feedback.

BMW should put the previous steering setup it had back on the e90 328i's . If they did that, this may be the BEST entry-level sport sedan that BMW ever made. The electronic steering system is the only downside on owning the new 328i.
i dont know about that, i prefer it over my e90.
      04-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #53
BALL3N
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330xi, 2019 X3 x30i

Garage List
2020 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Why are so many E90 drivers so bitter tword this car. My F30 is so much better of a car all around than my previous E92.

Enjoy your daily 70-0 stops.
Admission: I sell BMW. I attended the F30 launch event in San Diego. It did two things: reaffirm my love of the E90 and solidify my love of the F30.

I've always loved C&D but smohr33 hits a nail on the head. Most customers push a car to 7/10 max. If this comparo were 2 yrs in the future, it's likely all brands would be at the same extreme braking disadvantage of LRR tires. In real-world driving, I love the E90 and F30 for different reasons. For track use, you'll shred a set of OEM tires in no time, so what does that matter?

On the hotly contested steering debate, I think the majority of enthusiasts will love the electric steering on Sport+ mode, only on Sport Line or M Adaptive suspension equipped cars. I like the weighting of the Variable Sport Steering option but prefer the consistent feel of the Standard steering on Sport+ capable cars. Neither has the feel of the old hydraulic system, which represents a parasitic power loss. Don't base your judgements on the F30's steering on the F10, etc. The F30 is the best electric rack yet.

The N52 sounds sexier but the N20 is in a league of its own. The torque curve must be driven to be understood.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #54
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

The mention of the poor stopping distance is on the Goodyear Efficigrip tires. They seem to get mediocre reviews, especially about braking distance. The Pirelli P7s seem to to get much better ratings.
      04-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #55
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I have the Pirellis on my 335i. they seem to be okay but I don't track my car or anything.

What bothers me on the F30 335i are the brakes. They are TERRIBLE! The ones on my E90 were absolutely outstanding as well ad the ones on my E60. They stopped on a dime and there was feedback with the least amount of pressure on the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #56
chicochico
Private
Rep
Drives: YMB/SS M4

A couple months ago I was driving a ford focus rental car. Nice car for the $$. But when I got back home into my E90, I was almost giddy enjoying the feel of it. I missed my car.
Now, I just don't if I would have that with the F30.
Don't get me wrong, I think the car ex the steering & the stupid red stripe is a better car, better sounding car and a better car for my needs. But its at the expense of feeling less like a sports sedan. It would feel more like getting into a better G37.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #57
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAllen3 View Post
I've always loved C&D but smohr33 hits a nail on the head. Most customers push a car to 7/10 max.
I appreciate your thoughtful comment. However, I have to point out that BMW did not build its current reputation by offering 7/10th cars. Its cars were never close to the top in terms of their value and luxury, at least until the arrival of FXX series cars. Yet, people still paid the premium for BMWs in the past precisely because they were NOT 7/10th cars. Lexus can afford 7/10th cars. I'm not sure if BMW can.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #58
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAllen3 View Post
Admission: I sell BMW. I attended the F30 launch event in San Diego. It did two things: reaffirm my love of the E90 and solidify my love of the F30.

I've always loved C&D but smohr33 hits a nail on the head. Most customers push a car to 7/10 max. If this comparo were 2 yrs in the future, it's likely all brands would be at the same extreme braking disadvantage of LRR tires. In real-world driving, I love the E90 and F30 for different reasons. For track use, you'll shred a set of OEM tires in no time, so what does that matter?
So it is ok if the buyer of a DRIVERS car gets poor braking performance, as long as the MPG is good on the LRR tires? Cmon, this is a BMW, they have been know to have unbeatable stopping power... it is all marketing BS so they can hail that they created the 36 MPG sport sedan, now EPA has downgraded the MPG, may be a bad move for BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #59
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

Let's face it, the 3-series is getting bigger and bigger, it's bound to become too big to have proper fun with. The 1-series saloon (if they make one) will take it's palce as the fun factor. I at least hope so.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #60
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30
MotorTrend Magazine says:
G35 is dead in the middle of the pack (qualifying it as a boring car)
Volvo (being the most powerful car) is ranked second after the BMW (surprisingly for a Volvo)
F30 is First

Car and Driver Magazine says:
G35 is fun to drive (pratically taking the "fun to drive" award from the BMW MVP)
Volve is ranked last of 5 cars (despite being the most powerful car)
F30 is First

It might be confusing to us all how the two magazines differ on the classment, as well as the F30 review, but
All it matters to me is : F30 is First on both comparo.... despite all the criticism and negative points of this car...

And the conclusion i am drawing out of those reviews: BMW F30 has the best compromise between a boring car and a fun car to drive... the polyvalence of the F30 is what earns him it's praises... the ability to adapt to any situation, not just stuck in one type/style of driving...

This real comparo will be when the ATS comes out...
... there will be another rematch... but by that time, i would have gotten my 335i back to the west coast, and i wouldn't care anymore as i would be so with it !

I agree wholeheartedly. First is first.

The negative reviews about steering seem to as much focus on the tires as the steering. While I imagine some improvement is likely possible on both fronts (better tires and better feel from the system) apparently the car shifts much more toward sporty and fun with a simple tire change.... something many enthusiasts would be itching to do anyway, add some wheels and tires to personalize their ride.

Enthusiasts will swap tires out quickly and the much much larger leasing crowd will enjoy fuel economy.

Has some of the competition narrowed the gap as BMW has broadened its appeal, indeed, but BMW still wears the bullseye and is still out front of this segment.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #61
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
The new benz engine is pretty decent, but the problem with the benz is not the engine it is the handling. The MB's in general have no control when driving at the limit. The rear is way too light. The suspension on the MB's also are fairly soft once you push so it is great for cruising or highway driving and no car does the highway like MB but once you want some handling then good luck. Even the AMG's handling at the limit is not the greatest if you want control. The AMG's are fun cars but not if you want precision handling.
I have to disagree. I was going to buy the C250 until I drove the 328. The issue for me with the C250 was both the drive train and the handling. The engine in the C250 is underpowered and has more turbo lag than i liked. There was also lag with the transmission that hurt the overall responsiveness. The handling was quite good and comparable to the 328. I was really surprised. MB kills the fun factor because I could never get to the limits because you can never fully turn off the stability control. It is a great car that just isn't sporty enough compared to it's competitors.
      04-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #62
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
Let's face it, the 3-series is getting bigger and bigger, it's bound to become too big to have proper fun with. The 1-series saloon (if they make one) will take it's palce as the fun factor. I at least hope so.
wow, what an incredible observation!
Now would be the time to being a 1 series BMW sedan to the US. Well, we are getting the X1, which i bet will sell like hotcakes, but a small BMW sedan would really be excellent with the 3 series moving upmarket and also getting larger and larger. BMW is always so afraid of cannibalizing buyers from their bread and butter vehicles but an N20 powered 1 sedan could really be a game changer for them actually particularly in terms of CAFE numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #63
HairTooLongToo
Rep
Drives: M3

The steering on the E90 must be epic then... Because the F30 (sport) I test drove was incredibly good. That said I'm already accustomed to electric steering.

Of the cars in the comparo I've only test driven the Audi. That has unbelievably lifeless and overlight steering and was truly terrible.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #64
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

C&D's opinion is where the buck stops. BMW will take notice and make changes. Every single one of my purchasing decisions has been heavily influenced by what C&D has to say. They're always spot on, something that can't be said about any other publication other than maybe Insideline.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #65
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
The ones on my E90 were absolutely outstanding as well ad the ones on my E60. They stopped on a dime and there was feedback with the least amount of pressure on the pedal.
+1 the E90's brakes are extremely effective at tearing off your face, or at least compared to my e46. Although I do think the E46 had a little more brake feel, but bear that I haven't driven the E90 enough to be sure about that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairTooLongToo View Post
The steering on the E90 must be epic then... Because the F30 (sport) I test drove was incredibly good. That said I'm already accustomed to electric steering.
The E90's steering is sooooo different from any other sedan on the market. I remember the first time I drove one I thought the power steering wasn't working properly, because it was so heavy. It is also extremely precise. I can't speak much for feedback, because the only E90s that I have driven were dealership loaner cars, so it was just on smooth boulevard type roads.

I did get to test drive a 135i Convertible, it was very similar to the E46's steering. It was a little lighter, although more precise.

Last edited by bimmerjph; 04-08-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #66
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
wow, what an incredible observation!
Now would be the time to being a 1 series BMW sedan to the US. Well, we are getting the X1, which i bet will sell like hotcakes, but a small BMW sedan would really be excellent with the 3 series moving upmarket and also getting larger and larger. BMW is always so afraid of cannibalizing buyers from their bread and butter vehicles but an N20 powered 1 sedan could really be a game changer for them actually particularly in terms of CAFE numbers.
It's an idea but will never happen. Reason is in Europe employees are given cars as part of compensation packages (fleet leases)- the 3 series would be passed up for the lesser 1 series sedan and BMW would loose a boat load of money. If you notice none of the upmarket Germans make a smaller sedan than their bread and butter model... this is the reason.

Rumors of the A3 sedan float around; that will be a rebadged Jetta..

BMW will be fine with CAFE- new diesels coming, more hybrids coming, ever model is more efficient than the competition plus add in MINI and BMWi and they are perfectly fine.... oh and the 1 Series FWD FAST (if and when it comes to the US- not happening at the moment but with the A-Class on its way we never know).