F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > need your advice on my problem
Extreme Powerhouse

06-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
BimMyWay
Rep
Drives: F30

need your advice on my problem

Hello guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I need your experiences and advices on what will be my next action the problem I have.

I picked my F30 328i 3 weeks ago. Right after picking my car, I noticed the vibration and shaking on steering wheel at 40 - 60 mph. I brought her back to dealer to check this issue. They did rebalance tires, but nothing was changed on this issue. On my second visit to service center, I met BMW engineer and he tested my car. He said that this is normal operating and it is the way to be designed to feel this vibration at 40 - 60mph. Wow it totally doesn't make sense to me. After some argument with him, they replaced 4 tires and said there is nothing more he can do. After changing tires, the vibration and shaking has expended to 40 - 70 mph !!! It is really frustrated and annoying.

I contacted my sales man about it, but he said that he cannot help with it... oh great...

Do you guys have any idea or advice on how to solve this and what action should I take? Please help!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimMyWay View Post
Hello guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I need your experiences and advices on what will be my next action the problem I have.

I picked my F30 328i 3 weeks ago. Right after picking my car, I noticed the vibration and shaking on steering wheel at 40 - 60 mph. I brought her back to dealer to check this issue. They did rebalance tires, but nothing was changed on this issue. On my second visit to service center, I met BMW engineer and he tested my car. He said that this is normal operating and it is the way to be designed to feel this vibration at 40 - 60mph. Wow it totally doesn't make sense to me. After some argument with him, they replaced 4 tires and said there is nothing more he can do. After changing tires, the vibration and shaking has expended to 40 - 70 mph !!! It is really frustrated and annoying.

I contacted my sales man about it, but he said that he cannot help with it... oh great...

Do you guys have any idea or advice on how to solve this and what action should I take? Please help!!!
:-( That sucks, I REALLY hope mine doesn't have this problem when I get it.

You could try and lodge a complaint with BMWNA, but at this point from what I can tell there is not a fix for the wheel vibration issue. It sounds like they are aware of it at BMW in Germany, but have not come up with a solution as of yet. At the very least I would want to make sure my dealer documents the issue so if there is a fix they can contact you to get it resolved. In the meantime there isn't much you can do other than complain because from the looks of things there is no solution yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Recommend you go to this thread and post there: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682580
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Hello guys,

There are threads on this subject. One person had there car lemoned.
My 328I bulid date 4/28 and is ok. I think its early build cars that are effected.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
There are threads on this subject. One person had there car lemoned.
My 328I bulid date 4/28 and is ok. I think its early build cars that are effected.
I think cars built before April 2012 has it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

the drawback of getting a 1st gen car. I feel your pain.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

If the vibration is really bad, I would file a complaint with BMW and have a independent tire techician look at it. If all else fails, I would hire a lawyer to draft a letter to BMW asking them for a replacement vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
BimMyWay
Rep

My car built in the middle of April 2012...

I hope to show what is a normal operating car without vibration to BMW engineer...

The vibration on steering wheel is very irritating. I want they trade out my car...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
BimMyWay
Rep

I found the similar issue on this forum. I am not sure it could help.. it is different model tho.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=597694
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
My car built in the middle of April 2012...

I hope to show what is a normal operating car without vibration to BMW engineer...

The vibration on steering wheel is very irritating. I want they trade out my car...
You are prob the first that I am hearing of with April Build date with the vibrating steering.

Whats the specs of your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
BimMyWay
Rep

My car is 2012 328i basic model. The vibration is really bad... I also sent a complaint email to General Maneger, but no response yet...

Do you know BMW NA web site I can file a complaint?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
My car is 2012 328i basic model. The vibration is really bad... I also sent a complaint email to General Maneger, but no response yet...

OK wanted to see if you had anything like adaptive M, etc. I have the 335i with the adaptive M and no vibration and as far as I heard that issue was solved with April build. My official build date is 04/10. see my build time below which means my car was built before yours.

Week 5
03/29/12 - Production started

Week 6
added Sport Line Handbrake Grip
added M Performance black front grille
04/05/12 - Production Ends

Week 7
04/10/12 - In port

I think you can call the same 800# you used to check order status to file complaint.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
BimMyWay
Rep

I don't have adaptive M. Replacing with adaptive M might be expensive...

Mine,
04/04/12 - Production started
04/14/12 - Production ended
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I don't know about that, many cars, including mine (build early Feb) do not have this issue.

I think it's more likely to be options related or something but not really related to a build date

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
BimMyWay
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
I don't know about that, many cars, including mine (build early Feb) do not have this issue.

I think it's more likely to be options related or something but not really related to a build date

I was hoping and expecting that no matter what options on F30, those problems should not be there...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Another thing you might want to do is open a complaint with the NHTSA. To me, anything that affects 'normal' steering operation has safety implications.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post

According to the all-knowing-E90fleet, the part numbers on the steering changed during March. It could be the case that the some of the pre-March steering parts had issues... most probably didn't. This is the first post March build that has this steering issue from what I've read. Interesting....

@ OP:
In any case, the response from your dealer is unacceptable. I'd look into your state's Lemon laws and start that process. That'll make them respond real quick.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
I was hoping and expecting that no matter what options on F30, those problems should not be there...
I totally agree, these problems should not arrive on any car, but especially not on a car like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
According to the all-knowing-E90fleet, the part numbers on the steering changed during March. It could be the case that the some of the pre-March steering parts had issues... most probably didn't. This is the first post March build that has this steering issue from what I've read. Interesting....

@ OP:
In any case, the response from your dealer is unacceptable. I'd look into your state's Lemon laws and start that process. That'll make them respond real quick.
That's right, I forgot about that, he did write that a little while ago. Odd it's still there then, perhaps this is a new issue then?

+1 on your msg to the OP btw, it's not acceptable that they just want to let him drive around like this. if this is how they're sending him off, he should just lemon the car and get a new car elsewhere.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
got my car in march. no issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Man, I'm REALLY sorry to hear about your situation. I'm quite sure everyone here in this Forum hates to see a fellow BMW owner going through something like that.
I know there are times in our lives where we just need to suck it up and move on. However, this is completely unacceptable. How can they expect you to just simply keep the car like that? If it was a minor cosmetic deficiency, etc... I could understand. But, this is something BIG!!
Although I have no idea what your options are, I really hope you fight this thing till the end until there is a resolution to the problem to YOUR SATISFACTION.
You really shouldn't be stuck with a car like that.
Best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #21
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

According to informal analysis of messages on the various F30 forums, this issue is only showing up in 328i's without the variable sport steering. After researching the issue a bit, I found that the 335i, 328i with variable steering and all other 328i's have different steering rack part numbers. Since all of the rest of the suspension pieces, including wheels and tires, are the same across the F30 line (according to my review of realoem.com), it is reasonable to conclude that the steering rack is the culprit.

I do see there is a different steering rack part number for cars built up to March 2012 (doesn't specify what day in March). It will be interesting to see if that production change makes any difference. Note that just because the web site shows a date change for a part number, that does not necessarily mean the part changed in production on that particular date. All it suggests to me is that for some unknown reason the 328i with base steering gets a different rack as a running production change.

One additional data point to track is where the cars with this issue were built. I wonder if different suppliers build the steering racks for cars built in Germany vs those built in SA?

OP I would consider asking BMWNA to change the steering rack.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/contactus/

You should try posting your experience on the BMW Facebook page as well, you might get a quicker response on Facebook.
Appreciate 0