F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone ever have rear bumper cover replaced?
ARMA SPEED

01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Il Fenomeno 415
In top form...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive coming...

Just wondering if anyone noticed any issues after having a rear bumper replaced due to a accident in regards to the new paint job, or metal damage underneath the cover.

2 weeks after I took delivery some old fart rear ends me at a red light. He claims he didn't have a cell phone on him but I'm willing to bet he was texting. His license plate was stamped onto my bumper cover, but overall no real noticeable damage. So I'm getting my rear bumper cover replaced at a certified BMW collision center and they'll have to repaint the metallic mineral gray. I'm just very concerned given that I feel my brand new special order already has been abused...I'm hoping it will be returned to me like new.

Please let me know if you've had a rear bumper replaced and if there were any sort of headaches or issues with the paint color etc--thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Fenomeno 415 View Post
Just wondering if anyone noticed any issues after having a rear bumper replaced due to a accident in regards to the new paint job, or metal damage underneath the cover.

2 weeks after I took delivery some old fart rear ends me at a red light. He claims he didn't have a cell phone on him but I'm willing to bet he was texting. His license plate was stamped onto my bumper cover, but overall no real noticeable damage. So I'm getting my rear bumper cover replaced at a certified BMW collision center and they'll have to repaint the metallic mineral gray. I'm just very concerned given that I feel my brand new special order already has been abused...I'm hoping it will be returned to me like new.

Please let me know if you've had a rear bumper replaced and if there were any sort of headaches or issues with the paint color etc--thanks!
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the replacement rear bumper will come pre- painted Mineral Grey from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the replacement rear bumper will come pre- painted Mineral Grey from BMW.
most come unpainted. If there is a way to get a painted, factory bumper, its is FAR superior to a bodyshop job here.

Toyota used to send painted bumpers to the USA back in the early 2000s. I was witness to one shipped and installed on a bosses car. A 2003 Sequoia.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

I had a similar thing happen to my car about 3 months after I got it. They ordered the bumper from BMW and it was unpainted, but they did an excellent job at matching the paint. It's apparently all electronic now so the paint job is flawless (my friends shop).

The only thing I noticed is the rear backup sensors don't seem perfectly flush with the bumper. They work fine, and maybe I'm just a perfectionist, but a couple are ever so slightly receded into the bumper (we're talking 1/8 of an inch or less).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Mine was replaced and metal support hehind it. Body shop painted it no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

Happened to me too--guy's foot slipped off the brake at a red light. Metallic Black and the only 2 issues were, 1. the other party's insurance wanted the bumper cover reconditioned, and 2. two brand OEM new covers arrived damaged because of flimsy packing.

Looks as good as it ever did, but when I wipe down the sides of the bumper it has a creaking noise I never noticed on the original. But everything is flush so I'm not going to sweat it.
      01-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Il Fenomeno 415
In top form...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle
I had a similar thing happen to my car about 3 months after I got it. They ordered the bumper from BMW and it was unpainted, but they did an excellent job at matching the paint. It's apparently all electronic now so the paint job is flawless (my friends shop).

The only thing I noticed is the rear backup sensors don't seem perfectly flush with the bumper. They work fine, and maybe I'm just a perfectionist, but a couple are ever so slightly receded into the bumper (we're talking 1/8 of an inch or less).
BMW sends the bumper covers over unpainted. The guy told me that only Volvo covers are sent over painted oddly enough.

He also said they have official BMW paint because apparently this shop is the only BMW certified auto body shop in Illinois.

So do you mean you've noticed the rear parking detector is not as sensitive after the change? I will be very upset if I have to live with any changes after this gets done. Everytime I think about what happened I get so pissed off just recalling that guys look on his face.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
BMW sends the bumper covers over unpainted. The guy told me that only Volvo covers are sent over painted oddly enough.

He also said they have official BMW paint because apparently this shop is the only BMW certified auto body shop in Illinois.

So do you mean you've noticed the rear parking detector is not as sensitive after the change? I will be very upset if I have to live with any changes after this gets done. Everytime I think about what happened I get so pissed off just recalling that guys look on his face.
My sensors are as good as they ever were AFAIK, and I also have Blind Spot Warning (RADAR sensors behind the bumper) and all is well there too.
      01-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Il Fenomeno 415
In top form...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22
Mine was replaced and metal support hehind it. Body shop painted it no issues.
Did they have to order more parts to fix the metal support? How bad was the damage to the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
acherny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 30i

Similar thing happened to me, rear-ended by someone who was on the phone.

Bumper skin and the support replaced at an authorized BMW repair shop; results were flawless.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
My rear bumper is getting fixed tonight at a local body-shop...someone backed into me and put a decent dent in the bumper cover but no underlying damage. For a new bumper and the labor/spray it was going to be €1000 ($1300) but for them to remove the current bumper and fix is €300 ($400). The dealership would only do a replacement and not fix the current bumper (but the service guy was awesome and sent me to a place he knows that should do a good job matching the EBII). Didn't want to get insurance involved as someone hit me, didn't leave a note and my deductible is €1000.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kankles; 01-24-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
SASSY1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

by chance does anyone have the part number or cost to repair of the rear bumper thanks since it seems a few of u are going threw this my brother decided to move my car this am and backed into the trailer in the driveway did some damage not to bad but i need it replaced so upset only had it for about 2 months now ...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post

unfortunately having many friends in the painting industry i can tell you with confidence that painting a metallic paint like that isn't as sure footed as you might think. Yes the pigments are computer coded but the process is surely difficult, the reason is that the metal flake, albeit very small (almost like a dust) will adhere differently in different conditions. even the angle of how it is sprayed and thickness makes a huge difference thus coming out looking liek a different color even. Many vehicles like for instance Chevrolet puts so little paint on the vehicles that the actual primer shows through the pigment giving it an even different look.

I don't mean to scare you as the Chevy problems doesn't apply to BMW but rather just let you know you have to get someone experienced to paint your vehicle as angle, temperature, humidity all play a factor in how it comes out. If they are not willing to spray a test paddle and compare it then they will not get it right.
      09-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #14
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Got rear ended too... They fixed the bumper and repainted it. It looks good but it's not the same as getting a whole new one. If you shine a light on it at night you can barely see where it was repaired.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:

Guess you maybe missed the "How to Pick a Body Shop Thread that addressed this at length. Suggest you find this recent thread for review, but here is what I said. Yes, It was a rear bumper replacement. Look up what Thumper posted also.

"A certified shop can't do a poor job if given the resources that they need. Their business depends on being basically flawless in execution. Usually, if they don't receive these resources, its due to the customer's ignorance or lack of concern. Customer either being the driver/owner or an insurance company. If you let an insurance company dictate the terms of a repair and repaint, you're stupid and deserve what you'll have coming to you.

I had a collision last summer in my old F30, and Global BMWs Collision Center in Atlanta (yes, I'm calling their name because they deserve it), did an excellent job.

First, I took over all dictated terms from the lady who hit me's insurance company. I let them know I knew what's what, and they laid down as expected. I don't play nicely.

For the shop, I was extremely friendly and told those guys that I knew they were busy as hell with the way Atlanta's poor drivers love to play bumper cars, so please take all the time they needed to get the job done right. Also asked them to communicate any insurance tricks to me, which they did, and yes, the company tried a little. I even asked them to make sure I got an alignment for a rear end collision, the shop said they wouldn't pay for it, but in the end, they did.

The shop took their time, I let them know that I knew the process and really didn't say anything to the guys, but thank you. My car was perfect. They even found some damage behind the bumper that needed to be replaced, they took care of it all and the car was factory new. They said most owners are very pushy and like to rush them, they thanked me for being understanding. I made new friends who will always look after me.

My point is, these guys are experts. Best thing to do is empower them to do their jobs, then shut the f--k up and get out of their way; they'll call you when it's done and your car will be better for it. Stop being pushy people, whether its the car shop or the next restaurant you go to.

Everyone hates a jerk."

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #16
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

My brand new GC got tagged (as hard as possible w/o involving sheet metal) in a parking lot. BMW shop did a flawless replacement job matching the light silver, total insurance cost with car rental was well over $3k! Bumper covers are definitely not pre-painted.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #17
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Hi. Had my bumper replaced On Wednesday this week. It was a whole new bumper that was replaced and painter prior to fitment and you cant even tell. If done by BMW like mine was, there is quite a lot of QC steps in place so not to worry.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #18
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

BMW's arrive at the U.S. Port facility with damages all the time, and get repaired before the customer ever sees the car. In addition, the Performance Center in SC has a full-service body shop that also repairs dinged and damaged vehicles before being delivered to the customer there.

A bumper cover repainted is not a "mission critical" issue. Competent body shops can repair them so well that even an expert would have a difficult time detecting the repair.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #19
SH89
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes Benz C300

I've had the rear bumper sprayed twice at the same approved body shop. Both instances of damage were non fault and almost identical in price and severity of the damage. The first repair was a full rear bumper respray and was flawless. The second time they smart repaired it hoping I wouldn't notice. They even missed some of the damage. To charge £550 and think they could get away with a smart repair is nothing short of robbery. I'll be going to a good indy next time.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #20
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

My 2013 BMW 335i xDrive is currently being repaired by a repair shop in Orange County CA with the vast majority of the repaired vehicles wearing BMW badge.

Identical problem: the rear bumper will be replaced shortly. I asked how the Mineral White paint will be matched. The repair shop assured me that every paint has a color code and the work will be flawless.

As far as the accident is concerned, it's another distracted driver story. I was paying for parking at the parking booth and suddenly was struck in the rear. The driver of the vehicle behind me - an elderly lady - did not want to exchange information, claimed "there is nothing wrong with your vehicle", and left the scene. Picture of her license plate and a short discussion with the police officer quickly led to learning who she was.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #21
pentagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328xi

Does anyone have a rough estimate on how much the whole thingwill cost? Was rear ended by a taxi the other day and will probably need to replace the bumper cover.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #22
fshubert
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Some idiot hit my last car at the train station. Came back to find the corner pushed in. Body shop replaced it rather than pulling out the dent. Total cost of repair (replace with new BMW bumper and paint) was $1100.